PDA

View Full Version : Two words for the rest of the league.....WE'RE BACK!!!

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
It's over, when the Lakers get Bynum and Ariza back nobody in the WC will be able to stop them for the next 4-5 years.

himat
02-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I think your profile name explains everything...

himat
02-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Plus look at the business view of this:

Kevin (San Diego): Wow. Lakers look GREAT right now. How many years does Gasol have left on his contract?

SportsNation J.A. Adande: (3:26 PM ET ) This is a very important point. Gasol is making almost $50 million over the next three years. Kobe will be making $20 million plus assuming he stays -- and this has to increase the likelihood that he stays...and they're going to have to extend Bynum. So this is it for a while for them

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Are you kidding me? Kobe is 29, Gasol is 27, and Bynum is 20 YEARS OLD. This team will be able to compete for the next 4-5 years no question, and then reload around Bynum when Kobe is done. We are in a great position now and in the future with our mix of young talent and veterans.

himat
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey buddy look at the 3rd post. The Lakers will have to budget there money perfectly if they want to contend for 4-5 years.

samikeyp
02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
When is Bynum's deal up? Two years?

2Cleva
02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Budget money? They have the 2nd most valuable team in the NBA. Money won't be a problem for LA - paying luxtax or not.

Purple & Gold
02-01-2008, 03:56 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Sportcamper
02-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I think the NBA networks just lost big time…The heated Lakers/Spurs AKA Kwame/Duncan match up is over…

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 03:59 PM
You guys are outside your minds if you think budget costs are going to be a problem for the Lakers.

It's just scared ass fans reacting because they know the Lakers are going to dominate for the next 5 years as they did before.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Dude!!! There is a difference between contending and winning titles..you basically said no one will win the west for the next 4-5 years except the Lakers!!! Dude!!!

When you have the game's best player, the game's best coach, and some insane talent to surround those two things you are the odds on favorite to win it all. Lakers are going to get some rings, we have all the pieces in place now. It's over.

Sportcamper
02-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Point of order…You need to be from SoCal to like say the word “Dude” 2x’s in a single post…Forum Rules…

Sportcamper
02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Sorry Adam...Carry on...

JamStone
02-01-2008, 04:05 PM
The Lakers will budget their salary just fine. As long as they got Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum, the secondary role players only need to be adequate. At their ages, they really will contend for a good 4-5 years. Their point guard position is covered for at least three years with Fisher and Farmar. And, they have adequate depth with Walton and Radmanovic locked up for several years. They should really trade Odom now to get a small forward who is a lights out 3 point shooter, but if they don't, Odom is still very good as now a fourth option. They don't have many salary issues other than trying to re-sign Ronny Turiaf this summer, and he may show some loyalty since the Lakers were loyal to him when he had that heart surgery. The Lakers are stacked and stacked for several years now. It doesn't guarantee a championship, but they should be right up there as far as West contenders. I think in terms of overall talent and balance, they have the best team in the West right now, probably the entire league. Chemistry might take a little while, but they are very, very serious contenders.

dirk4mvp
02-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Gasol is fuckin trash.

JamStone
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Gasol is fuckin trash.

When Bynum returns, Gasol is the third option on the Lakers.

Think about it.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Adam sorry for coming off like a dick, of course nothing guarantees a ring. But the Lakers are in a damn good position to contend for a long time now.

Gasol is the perfect player for the triangle, he is the kind of player we wanted Odom to be for us for the last 4 years. He solves our PF problem. The only thing we need to address is the SF spot, but Odom can do that job reasonably well.

Kobe and Bynum were talented enough together to put our team right at the top of the WC. Kobe+Bynum+Gasol guarantees we're gonna be up their for a long time coming. We have a deep bench, a great coach, the world's best player and closer, and a young up and coming Center that can anchor this team for the next decade. If you're not afraid of the Lakers then you need to get your head checked.

samikeyp
02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
The Lakers will budget their salary just fine. As long as they got Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum, the secondary role players only need to be adequate. At their ages, they really will contend for a good 4-5 years. Their point guard position is covered for at least three years with Fisher and Farmar. And, they have adequate depth with Walton and Radmanovic locked up for several years. They should really trade Odom now to get a small forward who is a lights out 3 point shooter, but if they don't, Odom is still very good as now a fourth option. They don't have many salary issues other than trying to re-sign Ronny Turiaf this summer, and he may show some loyalty since the Lakers were loyal to him when he had that heart surgery. The Lakers are stacked and stacked for several years now. It doesn't guarantee a championship, but they should be right up there as far as West contenders. I think in terms of overall talent and balance, they have the best team in the West right now, probably the entire league. Chemistry might take a little while, but they are very, very serious contenders.

Good post.

It doesn't make them the favorite in the West but I don't think there is a favorite in the West, it does put them on the short list of serious contenders though. As I said earlier, I have never been impressed with Gasol and if his playoff performances continue the way they have then LA is not winning anything but with Kobe and Bynum there, he doesn't have to be a one man show.

atxrocker
02-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Gasol is fuckin trash.

haha. i hate the fucking lakers, but you gotta admit that this was a solid fucking move.

Purple & Gold
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
What is the Lakers salary like? Kobe 20 million, Gasol, 20 Million, Lamar 17 million and they are going to pay the Max for Bynum too..

Don't worry about the Lakers finances. Worry about your geriatric team.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
You sure as hell seem pissed off about the Lakers getting Gasol for someone who doesn't care about basketball.

Purple & Gold
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
get a life loser..you act like I live and die by the Spurs..unlike your pathetic ass!

:cry :cry

Purple & Gold
02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
:sleep :sleep :sleep

:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

Kriz-Maxima
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
It was a great move. I cant see the downside of this. Also i cannot see why people fail to aknowledge that this puts the lakers in the serious contenders mix.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:24 PM
The Lakers were already serious contenders prior to Bynum going down. This move only solidifies that. You fail to realize how impossible it will make the Lakers to guard when you have two legit post presences, Kobe Brynat, and a dead-eye 3pt shooter on the floor. We will be like the Patriots on offense, too many weapons to throw at you. And defensively the Lakers will still be top 10, especially in rebounding. The bench is still deep. We still have the best coach in the game. Flat out this move solidifies us as the top team in the WC.

JamStone
02-01-2008, 04:24 PM
What is the Lakers salary like? Kobe 20 million, Gasol, 20 Million, Lamar 17 million and they are going to pay the Max for Bynum too..

First of all, it won't be a problem. Buss will pay because unlike Shaq, Bynum's age and/or declining play won't be a factor when his contract is up, which isn't for two years anyway, and by then Odom won't be a Laker as his contract will have expired by then. And, Gasol makes $13 million this year and $15 million next year. None of that matters anyway because Buss will pay the luxury tax for a roster that has talent and whose core players still aren't past their prime.

Any argument about salary concerns or luxury tax issues is really just trying to downplay the magnitude of this trade.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Phil = 9 rings
Pop = 4 rings

Of course you need talent to win. Pop had Duncan, Robinson, Ginobli, and Parker to work with. Nothing to scoff at.

MajorMike
02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
You guys are outside your minds if you think budget costs are going to be a problem for the Lakers.

Pffft, seriously LAK will have no problems going over budget, ask the Knicks.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Right because Kobe, Bynum, and Pau = Curry, Randolph, Marbury

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
MJ=6 titles..Phil did nothing. Michael lead that Bulls team..It had nothing do with coaching.

layoff the crack pipe son

Purple & Gold
02-01-2008, 04:46 PM
:lol :lol adam's trying real hard over here to discredit Phil and the Lakers. Funny as fuck. Just another Laker hater in L.A. When will you guys learn?

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Again anyone questioning Phil Jackson's talent needs to get their heads checked. I can name numerous teams with tons of talent that have gone nowhere (PHX for example).

If you give Phil talent he gives you championships. 9 rings is no mistake. And yes he is better than Pop because of this. Results are all that matters. Pop has yet to do it on another team without Duncan.

nkdlunch
02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
LMAO Lakers already overhyped as West champs. Remember when Lakers had Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
You need talent to win titles. No coach could have taken the Laker team's over the past 3-4 years to a championship.

himat
02-01-2008, 05:07 PM
I am not sold yet. Gasol has very good stats, but there are many more PF's who have a better presence during the game.h, Dwight, Al Jefferson,

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
But Dwight and Jefferson don't play alongside Kobe and Bynum. That's what makes this deal so great. Gasol won't have nearly the same pressure he did when he was on Memphis.

You can't double team Gasol, Bynum, and Kobe. They are going to be a nightmare matchup to contain. The Spurs are perhaps the only team that has the personell to do so, but given their woes offensively you gotta wonder if that will be enough.

himat
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
But Dwight and Jefferson don't play alongside Kobe and Bynum. That's what makes this deal so great. Gasol won't have nearly the same pressure he did when he was on Memphis.

Some players are ineffective when they don't have the ball in their hands. This will be the first time this occurs in Gasol's career. How many people thought that J Kidd would make VC unstoppable?? The answer is a lot, but it did not turn out that way.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm saving this thread to own the rest of you later.

This team is better than the Shaq&Kobe Lakers with the triple threat of Bynum, Kobe, and Gasol. The bench is better, Kobe is better, and Bynum+Gasol > Shaq.

Medvedenko
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
We're still 1 year out for serious contention.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
The simplest way I can put what this trade means to the Lakers.

Before we were pretenders, now we are contenders.

LakeShow
02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
No more Mitch bashing from this Lakers fan. That was a great trade. Big for Big, that's the way you do it. :toast

Supergirl
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
We'll see how this team actually plays together before making predictions.

Kobe has consistently played better on teams where it is clear that HE is the man - which is why Kobe has played so well this year.

When clutch time comes, and Kobe misses shots and Gasol is complaining he didn't get the ball, I see history repeating itself.

When will the Lakers learn that throwing together stars does not make for a TEAM?

This team looks great on paper, but so did the Kobe-Shaq-GP-Karl Malone team, and we see how well that turned out. The Lakers were actually playing WELL, and winning, and then they go an blow up their chemistry by adding a player who used to be the star on another team? Have they learned NOTHING about Kobe's ego?

Also, as others have noted, Kwame Brown was actually BETTER defensively. And everyone knows when push comes to shove, it's defense that wins championships.

So yeah, the Lakers may be poised to be a playoff team for years to come. But that doesn't mean they're poised to be a champion again.

BonnerDynasty
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Fuck it. Just beat the Suns and or Dallas.

Spurs have too many enemies we want to DAGGER to worry about Lakers right now.

Shank
02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Fuck it. Just beat the Suns and or Dallas.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...easy there.

ElNono
02-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Congratulations on acquiring the softer big in the NBA. You're soon to find out the guy can't guard a chair.

LakeShow
02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
We'll see how this team actually plays together before making predictions.

Kobe has consistently played better on teams where it is clear that HE is the man - which is why Kobe has played so well this year.

When clutch time comes, and Kobe misses shots and Gasol is complaining he didn't get the ball, I see history repeating itself.

When will the Lakers learn that throwing together stars does not make for a TEAM?

This team looks great on paper, but so did the Kobe-Shaq-GP-Karl Malone team, and we see how well that turned out. The Lakers were actually playing WELL, and winning, and then they go an blow up their chemistry by adding a player who used to be the star on another team? Have they learned NOTHING about Kobe's ego?

Also, as others have noted, Kwame Brown was actually BETTER defensively. And everyone knows when push comes to shove, it's defense that wins championships.

So yeah, the Lakers may be poised to be a playoff team for years to come. But that doesn't mean they're poised to be a champion again.

True, we have to see them on the court but having the best coaching staff in the league will be an easy transition for this team.

I disagree with the Kobe statement. He played with Shaq for 3 years and had some of his greatest moments. Winning 3 titles was the biggest achievement for kobe and he is at that frame of mind now that he wants to win more.

Kwame was better defensively, but with Bynum, his defense was expendable. Gasol brings more to the team than Brown would have with a healthy Bynum.

There is no chemistry issues, we traded 2 reserves. The triangle will make sure of that. This move is even better than the JO deal that never materialized. The deepest team in the league, just got deeper. This team is a championship caliber team more than ever this season.

btw, the 4 hall of famers that did not win the title dealt with injuries. No one ever seems to want to admit that. They too, when healthy were dominating the league. I'm sure no one is putting Gasol in the Malone/Payton caliber group.

mikejones99
02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Mitch was just on the Tom Leykis show live with all the details

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Can someone please explain to me how this trade could possibly be bad?

Lakers lose Kwame. Addition by subtraction. Lakers acquire a legitimate PF player whose skillset is perfect for the triangle. This trade makes sense on so many levels, I find it laughable that anyone would think chemistry issues would arise. These team went through the worst possible disaster this offseason and they didn't fold and collapse like everyone thought they would. It only brought them closer and so far they have exceeded everyone's expectations.

bostonguy
02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Can someone please explain to me how this trade could possibly be bad?

Lakers lose Kwame. Addition by subtraction. Lakers acquire a legitimate PF player whose skillset is perfect for the triangle. This trade makes sense on so many levels, I find it laughable that anyone would think chemistry issues would arise. These team went through the worst possible disaster this offseason and they didn't fold and collapse like everyone thought they would. It only brought them closer and so far they have exceeded everyone's expectations.

It is anything but a bad trade. Anyone who acts like this trade isnt anything big or good is in denial. They are scared hoping chemistry problems happen and act like Gasol wont help them in the playoffs. Last time I checked, Phil Jackson is coaching that team. Phil is awesome at being on the downlow when controversy hits his team. They have a way of working out in the long run. A healthy Lakers team is right there in the class of the elites. In fact I would put them over Dallas/Phoenix now.

jacobdrj
02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
When you have the game's best player, the game's best coach, and some insane talent to surround those two things you are the odds on favorite to win it all. Lakers are going to get some rings, we have all the pieces in place now. It's over.

I agree with this. They won't win every title, nor are they even guaranteed to even beat out the biggies in the West. My angle on this is Lakers-Celtics is back, 21st century style.

BonnerDynasty
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa...easy there.

hahah okay. Maybe not Dallas since we gotta keep it in Texas.

There are too many damn teams in the west that could knock us out now :(

bostonguy
02-01-2008, 07:57 PM
hahah okay. Maybe not Dallas since we gotta keep it in Texas.

There are too many damn teams in the west that could knock us out now :(

That is how the league works man. When you have championship success, teams make all sorts of big moves to improve their chances of knocking you off.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I think a lot of the Laker's success hinges on Bynum's development. If he keeps making these leapfrogs year to year the Lakers will win some titiles.

bostonguy
02-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I think a lot of the Laker's success hinges on Bynum's development. If he keeps making these leapfrogs year to year the Lakers will win some titiles.

Please tell me his rehab is going well and that he will be back sometime next month. In another thread someone said ESPN's Rick Bucher reported that Bynum might be "done for the year"

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Please tell me his rehab is going well and that he will be back sometime next month. In another thread someone said ESPN's Rick Bucher reported that Bynum might be "done for the year"

You'd do well to never listen to what Bucher has to say about the Lakers. He's been flat out wrong too many times to count. Bynum's recovery is going as expected and he will return in the 8 week treatment window. This has been confirmed from the Lakers themselves and by Bynum himself.

Capt Bringdown
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
An incredible, truly awesome trade for the Lakers.

At first glance I agree that this move makes them title contenders for the next few years. Maybe even this year.

It looks like we might have a Celtics/Laker final rematch again sometime in the near future.

bostonguy
02-01-2008, 08:12 PM
You'd do well to never listen to what Bucher has to say about the Lakers. He's been flat out wrong too many times to count. Bynum's recovery is going as expected and he will return in the 8 week treatment window. This has been confirmed from the Lakers themselves and by Bynum himself.

Maybe before the Celts window closes, we get to see the Celts/Lakers relived.

DazedAndConfused
02-01-2008, 08:13 PM
The scariest thing of all is Bynum has yet to come close to his peak potential. If he keeps improving at the rate we think he can this team will have the advantage at damn near every position against most teams.

This reminds a lot of what ppl were saying about the Boston 3 party over the summer. Deep down I knew they would be good because they all played different positions and would complement each other well. I also knew egos and chemistry wouldn't be a problem because they all wanted to win rings. It didn't surprise me at all that they dominated right out the gate.

Jeremy
02-02-2008, 01:02 AM
The simplest way I can put what this trade means to the Lakers.

Before we were pretenders, now we are contenders.

You weren't calling them pretenders before.

Axl Van Dam
02-02-2008, 01:40 AM
It's over, when the Lakers get Bynum and Ariza back nobody in the WC will be able to stop them for the next 4-5 years.

I have to say The Lakers pulled a coup with that deal. Kudos to the Lakers FO. But to say that L.A. will all of a sudden dominate the WC is kinda premature. First off they have to deal with chemistry. Will Gasol easily fit in the triangle offense? That has to manifest on the court and not just on predictions by the so called experts. Second teams will not just roll over and die and hand everything to the Lakers. Our Spurs will always find a way to incorporate players who will contribute to our winning ways. The Hornets definitely will continue to improve every year. CP3, David West, Peja Stojakovic & Tyson Chandler will work hand in hand to lift New Orleans to new heights. Dallas will always contend as long as AJ is the coach. Phoenix on the other hand will need to sack to D'Antoni t0 remain afloat. I think Phoenix will be the team to be directly affected by this trade. Bynum and Gasol will definitely trash Stoudewhiner and that so called Phoenix frountcourt. As for the rest like Golden State, Houston and the others they will give L.A. and their new star studded line up a run for their money. :reading

LakeShow
02-02-2008, 01:50 AM
I have to say The Lakers pulled a coup with that deal. Kudos to the Lakers FO. But to say that L.A. will all of a sudden dominate the WC is kinda premature. First off they have to deal with chemistry. Will Gasol easily fit in the triangle offense? That has to manifest on the court and not just on predictions by the so called experts. Second teams will not just roll over and die and hand everything to the Lakers. Our Spurs will always find a way to incorporate players who will contribute to our winning ways. The Hornets definitely will continue to improve every year. CP3, David West, Peja Stojakovic & Tyson Chandler will work hand in hand to lift New Orleans to new heights. Dallas will always contend as long as AJ is the coach. Phoenix on the other hand will need to sack to D'Antoni t0 remain afloat. I think Phoenix will be the team to be directly affected by this trade. Bynum and Gasol will definitely trash Stoudewhiner and that so called Phoenix frountcourt. As for the rest like Golden State, Houston and the others they will give L.A. and their new star studded line up a run for their money. :reading

That's true, teams will not roll over for the Lakers. The triangle is not hard for big men to adjust to so Pau should have no problem fitting in. The main thing about this trade is that the Lakers can continue to work inside out while Bynum is out. Our team is best when teams have to double down and leave players open for wide open jumpers. I personally thought the Lakers had a good chance as they were but with Pau instead of Kwame, I really feel confident in them going far.

mavs>spurs2
02-02-2008, 02:45 AM
Gasol sucks, the dude's a poor man's Dirk with less shooting range.

LA24
02-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Gasol is fuckin trash.

When Bynum returns, Gasol is the third option on the Lakers.

Think about it.

LA24
02-02-2008, 02:55 AM

Lamar = 6-10
Gasol = 7-0
Bynum = 7-0

Goodluck guarding that frontline of ours.

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 03:00 AM
Lamar = 6-10
Gasol = 7-0
Bynum = 7-0

Yao > Gasol + Bynum + Lamar

LA24
02-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Yao > Gasol + Bynum + Lamar

I like Yao Ming...so if you want to believe that, be my guest.

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 03:09 AM
I like Yao Ming....

good for fucking you. :clap :spin

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 03:21 AM
If Pau is soft Ming is toilet paper

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 03:29 AM
If Pau is soft Ming is toilet paper
you can call him the TOILET, because he will flush it in your motherfucking face. but paper, nahh.

Yao earned the Western Conference Jan. Player of the month honor by leading the Rockets to a 10-4 month, averaging 22.4 points, 10.9 rebounds and 2.4 assists.In a 111-107 win over Golden State on Tuesday, Yao tied his season high with 36 points and 19 rebounds. He is the only player in the Western Conference to be averaging at least 20.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks this season.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=muw4Ahvnh-U

Pau Gasol is a big vagina. so shut the fuck up.

Yao is THE TOP center in the league, Amare, howard, shaq, gasol etc are routinely owned by Yao..........especially 1 on 1 coverage.

Oden will be owned by him next year too.

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Nobody cares about your underachieving pathetic Rockettes. How can a team with Ming+Tmac not even make it out of the 1st round once? Truly pathetic.

The_Game
02-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Lamar = 6-10
Gasol = 7-0
Bynum = 7-0

I thought Bynum was 7'1-7'2?

dirk4mvp
02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Lamar = 6-10
Gasol = 7-0
Bynum = 7-0

Right cause I'm sure Bynum and Gasol are just gonna abuse Damp and Diop. As for Odom, he doesn't need to be guarded. He's gonna blow layups and make idiotic plays, guarded or not.

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Nobody cares about your underachieving pathetic Rockettes. How can a team with Ming+Tmac not even make it out of the 1st round once? Truly pathetic.

What have the lakers done since winning their championships................?

thats right, so stfu, you wanna talk 'bout underachieving.........

the lake show is back, nahhh

the fakeshow is in full effect

Pau is a big vagina.

what has kobe done without Shaq? Pathetic.....

dirk4mvp
02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Pau is a big vagina.

I agree. I watched alot of Grizzly games on the local FSN. He's a poptart.

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 12:11 PM

thankyou, there is more fight in dirks left foot and yao ming's left thumb than in pau gasols 7 foot body.........err 7 foot vagina.

LA24
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Right cause I'm sure Bynum and Gasol are just gonna abuse Damp and Diop. As for Odom, he doesn't need to be guarded. He's gonna blow layups and make idiotic plays, guarded or not.

:lol

Yeah, Damp and Diop scares people...PLEASE !!!

I'd take a (young stud) Bynum + a (27) Gasol over your damp and diop
any day. We'll be contending for the next 5 years...can't say the same for allas.

Oh, btw, Bynum WILL be abusing your frontcourt soon...very very soon !!
:ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit

LA24
02-02-2008, 02:17 PM

We'll, your "vagina" is your first option...our "vagina" is the third option.
Goodluck winning a championship with Dirk. :lol

I've been saying all along...Spurs are the only team right now in the west that are the real deal. Everyone else has something to prove.

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 02:21 PM
What people don't understand is this Laker team is gonna keep getting better as the years go by. We're not the Celtics whose big 3 is all over 30 years old. Kobe is 29, Gasol is 27, and Bynum is only 20 years old. As Bynum begins to tap into his true potential and develops his base the Laker offense will be very potent. Teams have trouble guarding Bynum as is, imagine what he will be like with 20-30 lbs more muscle. Defense will not be an issue with Bynum and Gasol manning the paint, while Kobe and Ariza can neutralize most perimeter players. The Laker bench is also very deep with guys like Sasha Vujacic and Jordan Farmar playing huge this year. This Laker team is flat out balanced from top to bottom and built to dominate this league for years to come. Outside of Odom at the SF position there really are no weaknesses, and is Odom bad enough to be considered a weakness? Hell no.

SpursDynasty
02-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm not worried about the Lakers as far as stopping us from a championship. They're good enough to make the Western Conf. Finals, but no away are we going to have an Andrew Bynum or a Paul Gasol in the Finals. It's not happening...

JamStone
02-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not worried about the Lakers as far as stopping us from a championship. They're good enough to make the Western Conf. Finals, but no away are we going to have an Andrew Bynum or a Paul Gasol in the Finals. It's not happening...

Great supporting evidence to back up your argument. :rolleyes

SpursDynasty
02-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Dirk is a poor man's athlete himself.

The_Game
02-02-2008, 03:10 PM
What have the lakers done since winning their championships................?

thats right, so stfu, you wanna talk 'bout underachieving.........

the lake show is back, nahhh

the fakeshow is in full effect

Pau is a big vagina.

what has kobe done without Shaq? Pathetic.....

LOL and what have the underacheiving rockets done since 94? nothing. You can call Gasol soft but he is hardly as soft as Yao and T-mac.

LakeShow
02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Damn, who the fuck did the Lakers sign? This city is hyped! The NBA is back in a big way, I'm sure Stern is elated. The phone is ringing off the hook and it is the conversation where ever you go. The bandwagon is filling up fast! I even saw a couple of car flags. I expect to see plenty soon. :lol

Good Move but we still have to play the game. The great thing about this trade is that we now don't have to move Odom. Fuck Kidd! If we can get Gasol with Kwame's expiring contract, with Odom's expiring contract next season,...hmmm Lebron James? :) Well you see what I'm saying. Odom's contract next season is another gold mine for the Lakers! The Lakers are Back! In a big fucking way! Damn, Life is good! :toast

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
LOL and what have the underacheiving rockets done since 94? nothing. You can call Gasol soft but he is hardly as soft as Yao and T-mac.

Well, let's see they got another NBA Title the following year in 1995 you dumb ass, and then from there nothing. Looks like the fakeshow is headed the same way.......... :rolleyes

wow, Gasol the big vagina...I'm so pumped the lakeshow is back :sleep

oh and btw, if you think Yao is soft, you are a dumb fuck.......he will monkey rape all your big men and foul their sorry motherfucking asses out of the game....................he'll get 35 pts 20 rebounds and 3 or 4 blocks and several power dunks and dumb fucks like you will put gasol over him in toughness...please.

gasol = vagina.

The_Game
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, let's see they got another NBA Title the following year in 1995 you dumb ass, and then from there nothing. Looks like the fakeshow is headed the same way.......... :rolleyes

wow, Gasol the big vagina...I'm so pumped the lakeshow is back :sleep

oh and btw, if you think Yao is soft, you are a dumb fuck.......he will monkey rape all your big men and foul their sorry motherfucking asses out of the game....................he'll get 35 pts 20 rebounds and 3 or 4 blocks and several power dunks and dumb fucks like you will put gasol over him in toughness...please.

gasol = vagina.

94-95 season, same freaking thing

Facts are you can't say Lakers are headed the same way when their top 3 are still young..Bynum being only 20. they have great coaching and depth.

Yao's not soft because morons like you say so? please....If Yao was so tough he wouldn't keep losing in the first round while having a guy like t-mac by his side....

no rockets fans should be talking trash when your joke of a team isn't even a playoff team. reason why your team sucks is due to the fact your two best players have no balls.

lefty
02-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Two words for the rest of the league.....WE'RE BACK!!!

That's 3 words, moron

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 09:47 PM
94-95 season, same freaking thing

Facts are you can't say Lakers are headed the same way when their top 3 are still young..Bynum being only 20. they have great coaching and depth.

Yao's not soft because morons like you say so? please....If Yao was so tough he wouldn't keep losing in the first round while having a guy like t-mac by his side....

no rockets fans should be talking trash when your joke of a team isn't even a playoff team. reason why your team sucks is due to the fact your two best players have no balls.

No dumbshit, the first trophy was awarded in 19 mother fucking 94(93-94season), and the second was awarded in 1995(94-95 season). So no dumbshit, it is not the same thing. So, what did they do after 1994? They won another one fuckface. Your fucking pathetic ass team has NOT done shit since Shaq left and you wanna tell me about postseason success or lack thereof.. STFU please you moron dumbshit. Yao ming is better than any bigman you guys have now, and probably will ever have in the next 20 yrs. Tmac has been the man in the posteason and the rox lack of success has NOT been b/c of him, its the scrubs that surrounded him. That just shows your fucking ignorance about pro ball.

gasol=vagina.

JamStone
02-02-2008, 09:49 PM
That's 3 words, moron

Contractions are consider one word.

lefty
02-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Contractions are consider one word.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo :madrun

peskypesky
02-02-2008, 09:52 PM

But you don't have the best player. We do.

lefty
02-02-2008, 09:57 PM

:tu

BonnerDynasty
02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Damn, who the fuck did the Lakers sign? This city is hyped! The NBA is back in a big way, I'm sure Stern is elated. The phone is ringing off the hook and it is the conversation where ever you go. The bandwagon is filling up fast! I even saw a couple of car flags. I expect to see plenty soon. :lol

Good Move but we still have to play the game. The great thing about this trade is that we now don't have to move Odom. Fuck Kidd! If we can get Gasol with Kwame's expiring contract, with Odom's expiring contract next season,...hmmm Lebron James? :) Well you see what I'm saying. Odom's contract next season is another gold mine for the Lakers! The Lakers are Back! In a big fucking way! Damn, Life is good! :toast

I haven't watched much Lakers this year but isn't Odom pretty good?

When I logged on ESPN the other day and saw you guys got Gasol, my first reaction was..."damn, they didn't even give up Odom for him."

Bynum
Gasol
Odom
Kobe

sounds pretty damn stacked to me, but I haven't watched you guys other than when against the Spurs & Suns.

LakeShow
02-03-2008, 12:14 AM
I haven't watched much Lakers this year but isn't Odom pretty good?

When I logged on ESPN the other day and saw you guys got Gasol, my first reaction was..."damn, they didn't even give up Odom for him."

Bynum
Gasol
Odom
Kobe

sounds pretty damn stacked to me, but I haven't watched you guys other than when against the Spurs & Suns.

Odom is a very good player, he's just not a scorer or player you can depend on to be consistent scoring. He will be a great role player at the three. Lakers fans are on him because he couldn't score consistently but he is a valuable player to have. The thing that will make it even better for the lakers is that odom can bring the ball up and lead the break too. He'll excel without the pressure on him to score.

duncan228
02-03-2008, 12:23 AM

Yes we do. :)

And the reason Duncan passes Kobe in my book is that Duncan excels on both ends of the court. Kobe's defense is okay, but it's nowhere near the level of Duncan's.

Duncan has proven that he can win Championships with different casts of role players around him. This year is the first time Duncan has his same team back to try to repeat.

Kobe has yet to prove that he can go all the way without Shaq.

mavs>spurs2
02-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Dirk is a poor man's athlete himself.

Kinda ironic that a Spur fan is talking about poor athletes..your best player definately comes to mind.

LakeShow
02-03-2008, 12:56 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-heisler3feb03,1,5585913,full.column

Mark Heisler:
NBA
A Lakers steal? NBA just has to deal with it
Gasol trade looks even more one-sided than Garnett-to-Boston deal. Around the league there's grudging admiration, though in Chicago they're just mad.
8:18 PM PST,February 2 2008

So much for the notions that:

* Jerry Buss is saving for the estate tax bill his kids will face and won't spend money anymore.

* Mitch Kupchak is a stiff.

* Kwame Brown never did anything for the Lakers.

* Minnesota Vice President Kevin McHale pulled off the worst trade of all time.

A lot of misconceptions went up in smoke in the time it took to announce the Lakers had acquired Pau Gasol for Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie and draft picks.

Or, in other words . . . who?

That's two contracts, two picks in the 20s and one of the Lakers' two promising young reserve point guards.

In comparison, the package McHale took for Kevin Garnett, which included Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes and a reviving Sebastian Telfair, looks like an All-Star team.

Of course, McHale was sending Garnett to his old team, the Celtics.

Memphis owner Michael Heisley, whose payroll-slashing mandate led to this "deal," has no Laker connection but can have Buss' suite when he visits from now on.

It must be a new day if everyone is giving their All-Star players to the Lakers and Celtics, but as Commissioner David Stern would say, "Mazel tov!"

"I think that the addition of Gasol makes the Lakers the most talented team in the NBA," said ESPN's level-headed Jeff Van Gundy.

"I think they could have fallen in the standings without Andrew Bynum and have been a sixth, seventh or eighth seed [or] possibly fallen into the lottery. . . .

"When Bynum comes back they have the most versatile front line in the NBA and the best closer in the game in Kobe Bryant."

In 28 NBA cities, there's reluctant admiration and/or consternation as the great preening purple-and-gold darling-of-La-La Land arises once more.

There's utter dismay in Chicago, where Bulls fans were finally over not getting Bryant and focused on something doable, like Gasol.

As a Chicago Tribune headline put it:

Joke of a Deal . . . to Bulls

Gasol trade's laughable terms make Bryant, the Lakers and the NBA happy

"Before the season, Bulls players indicated they were distracted by trade talk involving Bryant," wrote the Tribune's Sam Smith.

"Now that there's unlikely to be any movement, will they play better?"

Scratch one rising power in the East. If you want to know what time it is in Chicago, blizzard or no blizzard, it's baseball season!

Of course, being in the business of explaining everything, this is because . . . because . . .

Uh, stuff happens?

It's actually because of the difficulty of moving big contracts in the salary cap era, which becomes even more difficult the longer a team puts it off.

Amazingly, the Lakers faced that very dilemma four months ago when Buss said he "would certainly listen" to offers for Bryant . . . who then proceeded to send his agent out to solicit some . . . which turned out to be laughable.

Laughable is the name of the game when teams put stars on the market, since everyone knows they wouldn't do it unless there was a big problem.

The natural inclination is to recoil at the lowball offers . . . after which the star gets closer to the end of his contract and his value drops even more.

Nor are there any secrets.

Minnesota drew the process out for years, giving us more chances to write about it, until even we were getting tired of it.

A child could have figured out the Timberwolves' dilemma (which is why we were all over this one).

Garnett was increasingly frustrated, venting periodically, although he remained true blue, or forest green, to the end.

The team got worse annually.

His contract was running out in 2009.

He wanted an extension.

Conclusion: Duh.

Finally realizing he was at an impasse, Minnesota owner Glen Taylor decided not to give KG $20 million a year to finish No. 12 with nobodies and it was time for action!

For his part, Heisley thought he had his team sold last season but his buyer, the Christian Laettner-Brian Davis group, turned out to be more like a comedy act.

With Heisley determined to slash costs, the long-anticipated deal for Gasol, his highest-paid player at $13.7 million although he was midway between a franchise player and a No. 2 option, was a foregone conclusion.

Lakers fans' jubilation notwithstanding, their team will have transition issues with a front line that goes 7-0, 7-0 and 6-11, and Bynum out until March.

So they're not a lock and may not even be a favorite in the playoffs against all the battle-tested West teams that have been together for years . . . this season.

The really good news for the Lakers was already unfolding. If Bynum keeps improving, as he has, and Bryant comes back to them, as he is, they're back.

Last week Bryant called Bynum "the player I prayed for" but this deal seemed to remove the last doubt from Kobe's mind.

In what amounted to a blanket apology for last summer's week-long barrage, Bryant said, "It shows a level of commitment that I questioned over the summer. I have to take my hat off to Buss and Mitch. . . . Now it's on us."

That's us, as in if they can't do it this season, he thinks they can next season, not to mention the ones after that.

As Stern might say, "Don't ever leave me again."

LakeShow
02-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Gasol's arrival makes Lakers contenders now and later
Trading for 2006 All-Star Pau Gasol without having to surrender any core pieces lifts the Lakers into realistic championship pursuit and pleases Kobe Bryant, who scored 46 points against Toronto in a 121-101 victory.
By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register
Comments 5 | Recommend 20

TORONTO — Kobe Bryant need wait no longer for the Lakers' bold move for championship immediacy.

Power forward Pau Gasol, a 2006 All-Star, arrived in trade Friday from the Memphis Grizzlies with a second-round pick for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton and two future first-round draft picks. It is a deal that catapults the Lakers into championship contention both now and later.

And it moved Bryant to offer his strongest affirmation about perhaps again staying a Laker for life.

"It shows a level of commitment that I questioned over the summer," said Bryant, whose 46 points led the short-handed Lakers to a 121-101 victory Friday over the Toronto Raptors. "I have to take my hat off to (Jerry) Buss and Mitch (Kupchak) for going forward with this. Now it's on us."

The 7-foot Gasol, 27, has averaged 19 points and 9 rebounds amid rampant trade speculation once Memphis concluded he could not anchor its rebuilding team. The Lakers expect by sometime in March — they insist Andrew Bynum's knee injury should not cost him the rest of this season — to plug Gasol into a skyscraping, skilled frontcourt with Bynum and Lamar Odom. That would give them three top-shelf interior players — all 6-foot-10 or taller — to go with Bryant.

"It's amazing to be on a team full of history as the Lakers," Gasol said on his Web site. "But not only because of their past, mainly because of the present: playing along with Kobe Bryant is a privilege, which is not easy for most of the players in this league. And there will be lots of opportunities to be in the playoffs and do great things in this league, as I always wished … winning and fighting."

If Gasol, tournament MVP when Spain won the 2006 FIBA World Championship, helps the Lakers make a renewed push in the Western Conference, Buss and Kupchak might have just helped Bryant secure his first NBA MVP trophy, too.

"Now it's just time to put the work in," Bryant said, "and work on the chemistry."

Said Toronto All-Star Chris Bosh of the refashioned Lakers: "They will be tough to match."

Lakers coach Phil Jackson welcomed Gasol by leaving a playful voice message with some spotty spoken Spanish. But Jackson already issued a few public caveats about the success of the deal hinging on Gasol firming up his fundamental defense.

The Lakers lose some defense but little else in the mistake- and injury-prone Brown, whose expiring $9.1 million contract provides salary-cap relief to Memphis. The 13-33 Grizzlies, who saw Jerry West retire after last season and replaced him with Chris Wallace, wanted out from under the remaining $63.1 million over four years of Gasol's contract (counting this season). Crittenton, the Lakers' 2007 No. 1 pick, has huge upside but no spot in Jackson's rotation — and the Lakers already have a point guard of the future in Jordan Farmar.

The Lakers also gave up cash and protected first-round picks in 2008 and '10 but get back Memphis' 2010 second-rounder. They included Aaron McKie, who re-signed to help the salaries match, and the draft rights to 2007 second-round pick Marc Gasol, Pau's younger brother.

Jackson said there was discussion about Pau Gasol for about a year — meaning former Lakers executive West was at least aware of such a scenario before leaving Memphis — with trade talks intensifying in recent weeks. And now the Lakers have three of the NBA's 27 highest-salaried players in Bryant ($19.5 million, ninth), Gasol ($13.7 million, 25th) and Odom ($13.3 million, 27th) — with Bynum set to ascend with a big-time salary in 2009-10 once he gets his hefty extension this summer.

In sharp contrast to the rejected-by-Minnesota offseason proposal of Bynum and Odom for Kevin Garnett, the Lakers didn't have to yield any core pieces. Even if Odom doesn't have the ideal quickness to defend opposing small forwards, the Lakers still have Luke Walton and Trevor Ariza or Bryant to pick up that burden. The depth is evident in Farmar and Sasha Vujacic remaining potent backup guards for Derek Fisher and Bryant, and Ronny Turiaf, Vladimir Radmanovic and Chris Mihm offering other options inside.

"We can do multiple things with this team," Jackson said.

Although the Lakers could have chased available New Jersey point guard Jason Kidd, he turns 35 next month and doesn't play as great of a need position. Jackson said after he agreed to his contract extension in December that the missing piece was an inside force. Gasol isn't necessarily the most physical big man, but he is a big man who can be physical — and fill in for Bynum now.

There is an outside chance that all three active players in the trade pass physicals in time for Gasol to play Sunday in Washington. Gasol has missed time lately with a sore back, but that shouldn't be a major problem.

The 2002 NBA Rookie of the Year, Gasol has a gentle, ambidextrous touch around the basket and a mid-range jumper ideal for the power-forward slot in the triangle offense. He is adept as a shot blocker, having averaged 1.8 blocks per game for his NBA career — which includes an 0-12 postseason record. Gasol is not considered a clutch player and will be willing to defer to Bryant.

"He's extremely talented," Bryant said.

The move goes a long way toward ending talk of Bryant wanting to be traded. Even though some of his issues with individuals in the organization remain, Bryant's desire to win more championships stands at the fore. Asked if the trade helps ensure Bryant won't opt out of his contract after next season, he said: "It doesn't hurt, absolutely not."

duncan228
02-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Lots of overlap with this story.
I posted the Kevin Ding article in the Spurs forum Gasol thread this morning.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86161&page=15&pp=26

LakeShow
02-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Lots of overlap with this story.
I posted the Kevin Ding article in the Spurs forum Gasol thread this morning.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86161&page=15&pp=26

Yeah, that's why I posted them here instead of starting other threads. I visited that thread, they're talking too stupid over there and they talk about Suns fans? :rolleyes

slayermin
02-03-2008, 01:59 AM
As much as I like the free society of Spurstalk, I certainly wouldn't mind it if we had less Laker fans. They have enough places to go. Most of them are here only to troll.

Spurs fans would never get this much run on Fakerground or whatever purple/gold message board there is out there.

LakeShow
02-03-2008, 02:08 AM
As much as I like the free society of Spurstalk, I certainly wouldn't mind it if we had less Laker fans. They have enough places to go. Most of them are here only to troll.

Spurs fans would never get this much run on Fakerground or whatever purple/gold message board there is out there.

Don't worry, we won't be here long. We're here because you're the champs and one of the lakers rivals. Your team is getting old and on the way out. We'll move to the Celtics forum after this season.

:fro

slayermin
02-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Don't worry, we won't be here long. We're here because you're the champs and one of the lakers rivals. Your team is getting old and on the way out. We'll move to the Celtics forum after this season.

:fro

Well at least you admit your trolling. I guess that's something. :rolleyes

LakeShow
02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Well at least you admit your trolling. I guess that's something. :rolleyes

It's just funny, I've been posting in the NBA section for awhile, even when the Lakers were getting their asses kicked. I wasn't a troll then, but now that the Lakers are an elite team again and will compete for a title, I'm a troll. Whatever man, you guys are acting like a bunch of babies. Not what I would have expected from spurs fans.

remingtonbo2001
02-04-2008, 12:34 AM
LakeShow ain't a troll...he's just wettin his panties with excitment for the time being. It's definitely understandable. When you've been starin' down at the shitter the past 3 years, little things like the aquisition of a 7-FOOT POWERHOUSE, like Gasol, can really brighten your day. :rolleyes.

Never the less, Lakeshow actually contributes to the intellect of this board, so I can't say he is a troll. DazedandConfused/SpursDynasty...Yeah, that would be a troll.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 01:46 AM
If the Spurs got Gasol and kept all their good players, you and most Spurs fans would call him a superstar player that put the Spurs over the top before ever seeing Gasol put on a Spurs uniform. Let Laker fans enjoy it. Why do you want to bring them down so bad? Seems like insecurity.

DazedAndConfused
02-04-2008, 01:49 AM
If the Spurs got Gasol and kept all their good players, you and most Spurs fans would call him a superstar player that put the Spurs over the top before ever seeing Gasol put on a Spurs uniform. Let Laker fans enjoy it. Why do you want to bring them down so bad? Seems like insecurity.

Exactly. Pau is a very good player. They just HATIN!

LakeShow
02-04-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/04/pierces_final_analysis_la_is_a_contender/?page=2

Pierce's final analysis: LA is a contender

By Marc J. Spears
Globe Staff / February 4, 2008

WALTHAM - The video game NBA Live 08 currently has a television commercial showing a digital version of Celtics forward Paul Pierce dunking on the Los Angeles Lakers. Since both teams have played twice this season, the only way the longtime rivals can play outside of a video game this season is in the NBA Finals. And with the Lakers' surprising recent blockbuster addition of forward Pau Gasol, talk of the Celtics and Lakers meeting up in the Finals is once again a possibility.
more stories like this

"I know they're pumped up [in Los Angeles]," said Pierce, a Los Angeles native. "They want to see that Boston-LA. It could be possible. It would be good for the NBA. They're looking really good, I know that. They're going to be scary out West."

The Celtics own an Eastern Conference and NBA-best 36-8 record. The Lakers (30-16) have the fourth-best record in the Western Conference, courtesy of their 103-91 victory in Washington yesterday.

But even with the likes of Kobe Bryant, La mar Odom, and budding star Andrew Bynum, the Lakers weren't viewed as a West title contender over the likes of San Antonio, Dallas, and Phoenix. Bryant even said during last offseason that he would like to be traded.

But the Lakers' title hopes were dramatically upgraded with the addition of Gasol last Friday. Los Angeles acquired the 7-foot, 227-pounder and a 2010 second-round draft choice from Memphis for underachieving forward Kwame Brown (whose lucrative contract expires after this season), rookie guard Javaris Crittenton, guard Aaron McKie, the draft rights to Marc Gasol, and first-round picks in 2008 and 2010.

When asked if he was shocked by the trade, Pierce said: "For what [the Lakers] gave up I was. I thought they'd at least give up a little bit. They didn't give up any of their core [players] and they got a guy that can really help them, an All-Star."

Gasol, an All-Star in 2006, is averaging 18.9 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks per game this season, very close to his career averages (18.8 points, 8.6 rebounds, 1.8 blocks). The 2002 Rookie of the Year won a gold medal with Spain at the 2006 FIBA World Championships, where he was tournament MVP.

Once Bynum returns from a left knee injury, the Lakers will have a mammoth front line with Gasol, Bynum (7-0), and Odom (6-10). Gasol, who sat out yesterday with a sore back, could make his Lakers debut Tuesday at New Jersey.

"That's making them contenders when you look at the front line with Odom, Gasol, and Bynum when he gets healthy," Pierce said. "Once they come together, they can be a team that comes out the West."

Celtics forward James Posey, who played with Gasol in Memphis from 2003-05, said he gives the Lakers "another dimension" and thought he would mesh well with Bryant. "He is a scorer," Posey said. "He has a little midrange game. He can post up real well."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said the Gasol trade was a "great" one for the Lakers. He also noted that the Grizzlies, led by ex-Celtics executive Chris Wallace, clearly made the move to clear salary-cap space.

"The Lakers have really improved," said Rivers, whose Celtics practiced yesterday after two days off. "If you look at their lineup with Bynum and Gasol and Odom and Bryant and [Derek] Fisher, that's the biggest starting lineup I've seen in a long time . . .

"[Gasol] hasn't won, but he's put up great numbers. Now he has a chance to win. That's good for him."

The Celtics and Lakers have met in the Finals 10 times, including once when the Lakers were in Minneapolis in the first meeting in 1959. Boston won the first eight meetings before Los Angeles won in 1985 and 1987.

When asked about the possibility of a Celtics-Lakers Finals, Rivers said: "I'm all for it. That means we're there . . . If we see the Lakers again, I think we'd all be very happy."

Celtics forward Kevin Garnett is still listed as day to day with an abdominal strain that has kept him sidelined for three games. Rivers said there is still no timetable for Garnett's return. It doesn't look good for his return tomorrow in Cleveland considering that he is not expected to practice today.

"[Garnett could return] as early as this weekend or at the All-Star break," Rivers said.

Garnett, who hasn't spoken to the media since Jan. 25, did not practice yesterday. Rivers said Garnett is "clearly improving" and didn't suffer a tear of the abdominal muscle. The 2004 MVP is now swimming, running, and riding an exercise bike and he couldn't do that a week ago.

"I'm not concerned, honestly," Rivers said. "But I do know that injury is not an easy injury. It's slow. He didn't hurt it as bad as other guys have, but he's still healing."

Garnett was acquired July 31 from Minnesota. But it's uncertain whether the Wolves' all-time leader in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks will play in his first possible return to Minnesota Friday.

"I don't think he cares," Rivers said. "I know he wants to play. But he is not going to do anything stupid."

Marc J. Spears can be reached at [email protected]
© Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.