PDA

View Full Version : If Memphis is looking for cap space this summer.

Buddy Holly
02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Finley
Barry
Picks/Cash

for

Miller

TP/Damon/JV
Manu/Miller
Bowen/Udoka
Tim/Bonner/Ian
Elson/Fab

timvp
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Hell no. Darko sucks and has a horrible contract.

However, as is being discussed in the trade thread, the Spurs trading for Miller makes sense.

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Now that you changed it. I agree it would make us better. It would give us a lot more consistant 4th option thats for sure.

Buddy Holly
02-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Hell no. Darko sucks and has a horrible contract.

However, as is being discussed in the trade thread, the Spurs trading for Miller makes sense.

Ok, Swift. I just had Darko there because he's a legit 7 feet.

timvp
02-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Ok, Swift. Already traded.

Buddy Holly
02-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't think that would make us better.

It clears up the logjam we have at the two, it gives us a legit three point threat and an all around good shooter. He's a younger, better Barry.

djohn14
02-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Darko wasnt even in your trade, yet somehow he is our center! LOL its ok I now what you mean, but no they wouldnt do that....well I dont know, they took Kwame Brown.

Buddy Holly
02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Already traded.

He was?

mardigan
02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
To New Jersey today for Collins

MoSpur
02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
He was traded to New Jersey for Collins. Should be completed by Monday from what I understand.

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Barry Finley for Mike Miller

Or Barry Udoka Bonner ( or elson) for Mike Miller maybe

Buddy Holly
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Finley
Elson
Horry

for

Samuel Dalembert

Barry
Bonner

for

Miller

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Pop would hurt Finley and Horry's feelings so I doubt it. Family before business.

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Plus I wouldn't want Dalemberts deal that pays him over 44 mil the next 4 years with Splitter coming in next year and the improvement of Mahimni. I rather sign a bonified stud to a contract for 10-12 mil a year in 2010.

I would rather trade Elson Bonner Vaughn for Kurt Thomas.

Then trade Barry Finley and pick for Mike Miller

T Park
02-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah trade Finley who took less money, shots, and PT for a guy who sucks in the playoffs and whos asshole shrinks up at the slightest bit of pressure.

:tu

T Park
02-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I'd rather swing a deal for Kurt Thomas before anyone else.

Mike Miller would be ok for just for Barry, but adding in anyone else? screw it

spursfan09
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't want Finley or Horry to be traded. Those are veterans who will turn it on come playoffs. You know they will...

atxrocker
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Mike Miller would be ok for just for Barry, but adding in anyone else? screw it

uh, yeah... that sounds like a trade any GM would jump on

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah trade Finley who took less money, shots, and PT for a guy who sucks in the playoffs and whos asshole shrinks up at the slightest bit of pressure.

:tu

Finley was known for sucking in the playoffs when he was in his prime with Dallas. But I agree Pop would never trade Finley for the reasons you mentioned. Pop is a loyal man which is respectable. I was just throwing it out there. I'd love Kurt Thomas, I got into it with you justifying for Kurt Thomas about a week ago lol. Kurt Thomas could defend the hell out of David West, Amare, Dirk, Sheed, KG, Gasol. And he would allow do what Tim does best, play help side. Kurt Thomas' defense in the post is underrated. He would be an improvement over any big we have and can hit the midrange like Robinson could while Duncan is on the block.

The Truth #6
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Mike Miller is solid but nothing outstanding. I wouldn't give up the farm just for him, and there's no reason to give up Ime. He's a bargain considering what he's been bringing to the court.

The Truth #6
02-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Pop isn't always loyal considering he was about to trade David Robinson. He has unusual bromances with players that don't make sense, but when does love have to make sense?

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Pop isn't always loyal considering he was about to trade David Robinson. He has unusual bromances with players that don't make sense, but when does love have to make sense?

If thats the case ..

I'd do this and I could care less on T parks opinion, it would make us better..

Trade Barry Bonner and a 1st round pick for Kurt Thomas

then

Trade Finley Elson Vaughn and a pick for Mike Miller

We would then have a lineup like this:

Parker/ Stoudamire
Miller/ Manu
Bowen/Udoka
Tim/ Oberto
Kurt Thomas/ Horry/ Mahimni

then bring back Richardson from Fort Wayne to make it 12.

In my opinion this team is better than the team we have now.

What do yall think?

Bruno
02-01-2008, 06:25 PM
To me, the deal that makes most sense for Spurs and Grizzlies is Elson + Barry + incentives for Miller.
The question is what amount of incentives Memphis want and what Spurs are ready to give up ?
A first round pick? Splitter? Mahinmi? A combination of that?

The Lakers trade could also change a little Spurs approach towards trade. While spurs could lose some height against Suns, Mavs or Celtics, they need to keep this height to match up with Lakers. I guess that this trade could make Spurs less ready to give up Elson if they don't get a big man in exchange.

Holt's Cat
02-01-2008, 06:28 PM
To me, the deal that makes most sense for Spurs and Grizzlies is Elson + Barry + incentives for Miller.

Agreed. I don't see the Spurs giving up two swingmen for Miller.

The question is what amount of incentives Memphis want and what Spurs are ready to give up ?
A first round pick? Splitter? Mahinmi? A combination of that?

That seems a bit pricey for giving a team cap room for a guy with a bad back.

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Agreed. I don't see the Spurs giving up two swingmen for Miller.

So you wouldn't trade two very inconsistent swing men for a solid, consistent 15 point swingmen who shoots 50 percent and 43 percent from 3?? .....When we have 5 wings. If you look at it come April, May, and June all 5 wings won't play anyway. Udoka or Barry will sit. So that makes a wing expendable with the somewhat emergence of Udoka.

Da Spurs
02-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Finley was known for sucking in the playoffs when he was in his prime with Dallas.

Stats just don't bear that out.

In 5 playoff seasons with Dallas, Finley averaged 41 minutes, 18 points, shot 42%, averaged 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.

During the saem 5 regular seasons, Finley averaged 39 minutes, 19 points, shot 44%, averaged 5 rebounds and 3 assists.

That is about as close as you can get comparing the two. If anything, stats come down a little in the playoffs because most teams play a little better defense. He just got blamed for Dallas failure because he was one of their studs.

T Park
02-01-2008, 06:38 PM
So you wouldn't trade two very inconsistent swing man for a solid, consistant 15 point swingmen who shoots 50 percent and 43 percent from 3??

I wouldn't trade a guy like Finley who has proved with the Spurs hes pretty damn clutch in the playoffs while Mike Miller makes Cliff Robinson look like Vinnie Johnson.

T Park
02-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Yeah in the regular season.

Playoffs? Hed shrink and you guys will wonder, "man, wheres that dude that dropped 8 3s and 20 some odd points in the clinching game vs Denver last year?
Or the guy who had stud threes after threes against the Suns and Jazz?

But but but Mike Miller has awesome hair!!!

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Stats just don't bear that out.

In 5 playoff seasons with Dallas, Finley averaged 41 minutes, 18 points, shot 42%, averaged 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.

During the saem 5 regular seasons, Finley averaged 39 minutes, 19 points, shot 44%, averaged 5 rebounds and 3 assists.

That is about as close as you can get comparing the two. If anything, stats come down a little in the playoffs because most teams play a little better defense. He just got blamed for Dallas failure because he was one of their studs.

If your a "stud" for your team, 42 percent isn't exactly perfoming well. That's T-mac like without the absord volume of shots T-mac actually puts up.

T Park
02-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Saying Miller sux because he can't perform in the playoffs is like me telling Ray Allen to shoot the best of 3 jump shots from 18 feet. And since he missed all 3 that would make him a horrible shooter?

So after 3 playoffs of choking that doesn't make one a choker?

Genius :tu

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't trade a guy like Finley who has proved with the Spurs hes pretty damn clutch in the playoffs while Mike Miller makes Cliff Robinson look like Vinnie Johnson.

I agree Finley was clutch against Denver and somewhat against Phoenix last year. Had some big shots against Dallas in 06'. But Miller is the better player clearly, He hasn't had the chances or opportunities to show he can perform in the playoffs like Finley does. Saying Miller sux because he can't perform in the playoffs is like me telling Ray Allen to shoot the best of 3 jump shots from 18 feet. And since he missed all 3 that would make him a horrible shooter.

T Park
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
You can repeat it all you want, but Finley was a huge reason the Spurs got to the Finals.

Without him they don't get out of the first round.

Miller is a better player yes. Hes just a shooter though and thats about it. When his shots off, he doesn't do much else.

Fact.

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
So after 3 playoffs of choking that doesn't make one a choker?

Genius :tu

lol In memphis he played a total of 12 games he shot 42 percent from the field and 37 percent from 3 averaging 9.3 points per game in 26 mpg...

That's not exactly choking coming from a role player.

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Miller is a better player yes. Hes just a shooter though and thats about it. When his shots off, he doesn't do much else.

Fact.

lol and what else does Finley do besides chuck up shots? Rebound? No, hes not a better rebounder than Miller. Can Finley create shots for other players? No, but Mike Miller can. It's not like Finley gets his hands on a lot of balls either. Finley is more of just a shooter than Miller if you ask me.

T Park
02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Im not worried about that.

Having a guy like Thomas would be great.

Great insurance in case you play the Rockets.

Good player that can keep up with a fast pace as evidenced in Phoenix.

remingtonbo2001
02-01-2008, 07:37 PM
To offer Splitter wouldn't be worth it, unless we are recieving an 10-8 big along in the package. I wouldn't be so trigger-happy to let Splitter go, especially for someone like Mike Miller.

cash459
02-01-2008, 07:42 PM
i dont know if anyone here has checked out espn.com lately, but they have a "trade machine" where you can test trades between teams & most of the options on here would work. i know that its just a simulation, but its something to look at and maybe have some hope for..... check it out if you get a chance. (its on the nba front page)

like Barry, Bonner & Sanikidze for Thomas works
Barry & Vaughn for Miller works

those 2 seem like we would gain all around & still keep Splitter, Mahimi, Finley and have depth at the 1

more consistency at the 2 and more defensive help for Tim

any comments on that?

Bruno
02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
^ You trade two times Barry ?

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-01-2008, 07:46 PM
:lmao

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 07:49 PM
i dont know if anyone here has checked out espn.com lately, but they have a "trade machine" where you can test trades between teams & most of the options on here would work. i know that its just a simulation, but its something to look at and maybe have some hope for..... check it out if you get a chance. (its on the nba front page)

like Barry, Bonner & Sanikidze for Thomas works
Barry & Vaughn for Miller works

those 2 seem like we would gain all around & still keep Splitter, Mahimi, Finley and have depth at the 1

more consistency at the 2 and more defensive help for Tim

any comments on that?

lol Your a little late my friend. Go back and read the posts in this thread. And you included Barry twice.

cash459
02-01-2008, 07:49 PM
oops...my bad..... :oops

well you get the idea of what i meant....

there ARE options for us to make us better and give our team support.

cash459
02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
90 minutes late? for what? :wtf

Bruno
02-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, there are options but it's way easier for fans to make fantasy trades than for GM to make real trades.

Anyway, welcome on the board, cash459.

MaNu4Tres
02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
If thats the case ..

Trade Barry Bonner and a 1st round pick for Kurt Thomas

then

Trade Finley Elson Vaughn and a pick for Mike Miller

We would then have a lineup like this:

Parker/ Stoudamire
Miller/ Manu
Bowen/Udoka
Tim/ Oberto
Kurt Thomas/ Horry/ Mahimni

then bring back Richardson from Fort Wayne to make it 12.

In my opinion this team is better than the team we have now.

What do yall think?

cash459
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes, there are options but it's way easier for fans to make fantasy trades than for GM to make real trades.

Anyway, welcome on the board, cash459.

thanks...yeah, i know that its easy to be an arm chair GM, but i just wish that the Spurs would make some moves to help us out....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
The other day timvp made a very good case for why Kurt Thomas wouldn't help SA much, and I agree with him:

"Plus Kurt Thomas and Tim Duncan would form a frontline that is too immobile. If a team went small against the Spurs, the Spurs would get killed. Oberto, Bonner, Horry and even Elson work well next to Duncan because they are mobile and are able to step out on the perimeter if needed. Thomas couldn't and then he's not able to take advantage of small defenders.

If this were 1998, then yeah Duncan and Thomas would be a nice frontline. But it's 2008 and with the rules how they currently are, teams will go small and destroy that pairing...

...Thomas gets blocks against players he's guarding. He doesn't block shots when playing help defense. If you are going for a shotblocker, you want a weakside shotblocker to play next to Duncan.

And again, Thomas is no shotblocker. Horry is more of a shotblocker."

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85945&page=5

Elson+Finley+enticements for Miller and I'm all over it - don't want to give Splitter away though, nor Mahinmi if possible.

Miller is an all court player, does everything - at the moment he's grabbing 7 boards and dishing 4 asts to add to his 17pts as a 3rd option! And I'm not convinced that he'll disappear in the playoffs like Hedo.

As for Fin, he took a discount, got his ring, so trading him away for the 30-odd games left in his career is not a huge betrayal. HE GOT WHAT HE CAME FOR. Miller shores us up at the swing positions... Manu/Bowen/Miller/Udoka/Barry sounds pretty good to me! And then we only need to add one swing to replace Barry for next year.

nkdlunch
02-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Finley AND Barry??? for miller. no way.

Finley and Barry have proven they contribute in the playoffs. no way.

Let me remind Spur fans there is no way in hell these players will be traded:
Duncan, Manu, Bowen, Parker, Finley, Horry

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-01-2008, 11:28 PM
BTW, Elson+Finley for Miller doesn't work anyway. Barry+Elson for Miller does.

Mr. Body
02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Mike Miller seems to be in the PHX-mold that Memphis now wants to play. Why would they trade him?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Mike Miller seems to be in the PHX-mold that Memphis now wants to play. Why would they trade him?

Who knows, but I've seen it mentioned in the media.

Maybe they are going with a youth movement and clearing capspace?

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Miller isn't going anywhere. He fits right in with the uptempo style they want to play. Gasol was the big piece they wanted to move. My guess is nobody else will be moved, unless someone wants to make a play for Darko.

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2008, 12:41 AM
well it looks like kwame brown is going to get bought out watever is remaining on that 9m contract of his, since its an expiring anyway, will only cost the grizzlies 4-4.5m only since its halfway through the season anyway prorated...

spurs should sign him imo for the remainder of the season just to have another big, intead of havin him land in phoenix, caltics or any contender

of he can wait for 30days then sign back to the lakers...

eisfeld
02-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Signing Kwame would be as stupid as trading for Darko. Kurt Thomas would be a great fit, so would be Miller but I'd hate to give up Elson, Barry, Finley, Bonner and Vaugn just to get 2 players back. Barry + Elson + Pick for Thomas would be the better trade. But Seattle is looking for Cap-Space this summer and Thomas contract is coming off the books so they will not trade him. Acquiring Miller for Barry + Elson could work. Grizzlies get another 8 Million in cap relief this summer and the Spurs get a consistent 3pt Shooter and Role-Player. On the other hand it would totally screw up our chances on the FA market. We will not get anyone big this summer but we can add several role players for less money. I'd rather trade Vaughn + Second Rounder for Hakim Warrick.

ss1986v2
02-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Signing Kwame would be as stupid as trading for Darko. Kurt Thomas would be a great fit, so would be Miller but I'd hate to give up Elson, Barry, Finley, Bonner and Vaugn just to get 2 players back. Barry + Elson + Pick for Thomas would be the better trade. But Seattle is looking for Cap-Space this summer and Thomas contract is coming off the books so they will not trade him.
um, both barry and elson are also expiring this summer, so seattle would be swapping ~8 mil in expirings for ~8 mil in expirings.

Acquiring Miller for Barry + Elson could work. Grizzlies get another 8 Million in cap relief this summer and the Spurs get a consistent 3pt Shooter and Role-Player. On the other hand it would totally screw up our chances on the FA market. We will not get anyone big this summer but we can add several role players for less money.
actually, it doesnt. the spurs dont have any cap space this summer right now. all they have is the MLE and other exceptions. acquiring miller doesnt change that.

Bruno
02-02-2008, 08:45 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-gasollakers020108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And what does it say of the Grizzlies? Well, it says that they’re bleeding financial losses, desperate to strip payroll and make themselves more attractive for a potential buyer. They’re shopping guard Mike Miller throughout the league too, sources say, and it’s just a matter of time until they’ve stripped themselves to the core. Essentially, they’re the Vancouver Grizzlies again.

A trade like Barry + Elson + first round pick for Mike Miller could make a lot of sense for both teams.

Grizzlies get expiring contracts and a first round pick that will help them to rebuild their team.

Spurs get a talented swingman. Miller contract expire in 2010 which perfectly match with the 2010 cap space plan. This trade also allow Spurs to get under the luxury tax this year.
Spurs will be quite thin at the PF/C spot after this trade but they will be far enough bellow the luxury tax to sign a FA PF/C for the rest of the season without going over the threshold. For the moment, the only quality PF/C available is PJ Brown but some others could be bought out by their team after the trade deadline.

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
i dunno how tall miller is

but he can probably play small ball...

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Darko at C would confirm a title

Mr. Body
02-02-2008, 11:04 AM
If the Grizz are truly stupid enough to get rid of Mike Miller (they were stupid enough to get rid of Pau for scraps), then the Spurs should make haste to get him. If they were after Kyle Korver, they sure as hell should go after Miller, who's much better.

MaNu4Tres
02-02-2008, 11:06 AM
If the Grizz are truly stupid enough to get rid of Mike Miller (they were stupid enough to get rid of Pau for scraps), then the Spurs should make haste to get him. If they were after Kyle Korver, they sure as hell should go after Miller, who's much better.

But Miller doesn't have playoff experience. (tongue in cheek).

Mr. Body
02-02-2008, 11:12 AM
But Miller doesn't have playoff experience. (tongue in cheek).

That's just idiotic - (I know you're not the one saying it). Those Memphis teams got reamed in the playoffs because they played much more advanced teams. Mike Miller isn't a #1 or great #2 player, but as a #3 or #4 he'd be deadly. How many clutch shots has he hit against the Spurs alone?

MaNu4Tres
02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
That's just idiotic - (I know you're not the one saying it). Those Memphis teams got reamed in the playoffs because they played much more advanced teams. Mike Miller isn't a #1 or great #2 player, but as a #3 or #4 he'd be deadly. How many clutch shots has he hit against the Spurs alone?

lol i know I agree with you. Plus clutch shots come with opportunity. Your going to miss some I don't care what player you are. Like with Horry when you play 17 years and go to the playoffs every year, your going to have a lot of opportunities in your career to hit some clutch shots. Thank god one of them went down in 05' unlike 03' 04' and 06'.

If Grizzlies are shopping around Mike Miller there's only two teams that would realistically offer them expiring contracts. Thats the Miami Heat and the Spurs. I doubt Miami would include a first round pick with their current position in the lottery ( then again maybe they would). The Spurs have given up 2 first rounders before for Nazr Mohammed out of all people, that shows you what they think of late first round picks, with that I think Memphis could get a 1st rounder out of a deal with the Spurs before the Heat and get 8.3 million in extra cap relief for next year.

Mr. Body
02-02-2008, 11:24 AM
It can't be true that only two teams can offer expirings for Miller, can it?

I'd trade Barry+Elson+'a vague shot at Brandon Rush' for Mike Miller in a heartbeat.

MaNu4Tres
02-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Atlanta could but think about it. Do you really think Atlanta wants to add 8.3 million to a position they are stacked at with Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, and Josh Childress. Plus Josh Smith is about to get to get paid next year. I highly doubt Atlanta would like to add a player who would cut into those players minutes for 8.3 million the next 2 years.

Orlando could but they have over 23 + million a year tied up with Turkoglu and Lewis which play the same position. Plus with Howard and Nelson's contracts about to kick in. I doubt they want to add 8.3 for a player that plays is identical to Turkoglu and Lewis. If I were Orlando I'd look for a 2 guard that could put it on the floor and create or another big man that could help Howard inside with that 8.3 million.

Seattle could but again I really doubt they want to add Miller and his 8.3 million because they are in rebuilding mode, and he plays the same position as Durant and Jeff Green. They also have Wally at the same position who gets 13 million next year.

Spurs, Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, and the Sonics are the teams that could give Memphis expiring contracts.

hoopdreams11
02-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Barry and Elson for Juan Carlos and Darko works

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Pull that trigger.

MaNu4Tres
02-02-2008, 12:02 PM

For some odd reason, I have a feeling Darko would never figure out the Spurs system.

hoopdreams11
02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Elson hasn't either but Darko rebounds better and plays better D. Juan Carlos has an in between game to go along with his outside touch. Plus Darko only has two years left on his contract or could used in a trade next year.

MaNu4Tres
02-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I rather Spurs make one of the two trades: Barry Elson Pick for Kurt Thomas

or Barry Elson 1st rounder for Mike Miller

One of the two

yavozerb
02-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Memphis is not going to trade Miller cause his contract really isnt that bad at 9 mil and still has 2 more years at that price...Plus, 1 gator is bad enough and 2, well :bang

eisfeld
02-02-2008, 12:40 PM
um, both barry and elson are also expiring this summer, so seattle would be swapping ~8 mil in expirings for ~8 mil in expirings.

actually, it doesnt. the spurs dont have any cap space this summer right now. all they have is the MLE and other exceptions. acquiring miller doesnt change that.

The question is why would Seattle do a trade which does not help them.
And on the cap space: Got me there, thanks for the update :tu

T Park
02-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Trade for Miller and he'll just be a shorter version of Turkoglu...

exstatic
02-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Trade for Miller and he'll just be a shorter version of Turkoglu...
Hedo could rebound and play defense, though. Miller is a one trick pony, and his next defensive stop would be his first. Kobe might break that 81 matched up with Miller.

tav1
02-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Miller isn't going anywhere. He fits right in with the uptempo style they want to play. Gasol was the big piece they wanted to move. My guess is nobody else will be moved, unless someone wants to make a play for Darko.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-gasollakers020108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Yahoo! reports that Memphis is shopping Mike Miller hot and heavy and intends to strip the team to the core--I'm not sure if the Spurs wouldn't be better served to move for a big, but if you can get Mike Miller for pennies on the dollar, you do it.

The Spurs should also look at Hakim Warrick, Kyle Lowry, and Juan Carlos Navarro. If they're dirt cheap, why not think about it?

tav1
02-02-2008, 01:31 PM
And hell no to Darko. I'd rather take back Gadzuric's bloated contract to get Villanueva. We could at least move Gadzuric in the future--Darko is now a human franchise noose.

tav1
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM
The Blazers are also shopping half their team--Outlaw, Jack, Frye, Webster, Sergio, Pryzbilla. Anyone of those guys are worth a phone call. If we could get Outlaw for an expiring deal and a #1, why wouldn't we? Two days ago, I would have scoffed at the idea, but after this Gasol nonsense who knows.

ThomasGranger
02-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't think they're moving Outlaw. He's been comming up big for them lately.

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 01:54 PM
You can bet your ass that the line of suitors for Miller is longer than it was for Pau. Miller is the kind of player that can fit right in on just about any team. Everyone would love to have him.

E20
02-02-2008, 01:57 PM
And what does it say of the Grizzlies? Well, it says that they’re bleeding financial losses, desperate to strip payroll and make themselves more attractive for a potential buyer. They’re shopping guard Mike Miller throughout the league too, sources say, and it’s just a matter of time until they’ve stripped themselves to the core. Essentially, they’re the Vancouver Grizzlies again.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhWh3CuN5pr3Vq5npAtOX6u8vLYF?slug=aw-gasollakers020108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MaNu4Tres
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Grizzlies would trade Miller for more cap relief next year, in that case only 5 teams can do that for them: Heat, Spurs and the 3 below.

Atlanta could but think about it. Do you really think Atlanta wants to add 8.3 million to a position they are stacked at with Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, and Josh Childress. Plus Josh Smith is about to get to get paid next year. I highly doubt Atlanta would like to add a player who would cut into those players minutes for 8.3 million the next 2 years.

Orlando could but they have over 23 + million a year tied up with Turkoglu and Lewis which play the same position. Plus with Howard and Nelson's contracts about to kick in. I doubt they want to add 8.3 for a player that plays is identical to Turkoglu and Lewis. If I were Orlando I'd look for a 2 guard that could put it on the floor and create or another big man that could help Howard inside with that 8.3 million.

Seattle could but again I really doubt they want to add Miller and his 8.3 million because they are in rebuilding mode, and he plays the same position as Durant and Jeff Green. They also have Wally at the same position who gets 13 million next year.

Spurs, Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, and the Sonics are the teams that could give Memphis expiring contracts.

manufor3
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
oh gosh do that trade!!! :clap

ss1986v2
02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
The question is why would Seattle do a trade which does not help them.

yes, they wouldnt do it straight up. you would have to send pick(s) and maybe some cash to balance things out. say, 2 2nd round picks (2008 torontos and 2009 spurs) plus 500k (about the difference in pay between KT and barry+elson).

seattle nets a couple picks (which they could use, or package later for whatever), and it doesnt cost them a penny; only the loss of KTs production (which they seem more than willing to lose if it nets them any future assets).

Mr. Body
02-02-2008, 06:25 PM
You can bet your ass that the line of suitors for Miller is longer than it was for Pau. Miller is the kind of player that can fit right in on just about any team. Everyone would love to have him.

Pau isn't?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-02-2008, 06:43 PM
The other day timvp made a very good case for why Kurt Thomas wouldn't help SA much, and I agree with him:

"Plus Kurt Thomas and Tim Duncan would form a frontline that is too immobile. If a team went small against the Spurs, the Spurs would get killed. Oberto, Bonner, Horry and even Elson work well next to Duncan because they are mobile and are able to step out on the perimeter if needed. Thomas couldn't and then he's not able to take advantage of small defenders.

If this were 1998, then yeah Duncan and Thomas would be a nice frontline. But it's 2008 and with the rules how they currently are, teams will go small and destroy that pairing...

...Thomas gets blocks against players he's guarding. He doesn't block shots when playing help defense. If you are going for a shotblocker, you want a weakside shotblocker to play next to Duncan.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...?t=85945&page=5

Elson+Finley/Barry+enticements for Miller and I'm all over it - don't want to give Splitter away though, nor Mahinmi if possible.

Miller is an all court player, does everything (although his D is not great) - at the moment he's grabbing 7 boards and dishing 4 asts to add to his 17pts as a 3rd option! And I'm not convinced that he'll disappear in the playoffs like Hedo.

As for Fin, he took a discount, got his ring, so trading him away for the 30-odd games left in his career is not a huge betrayal. HE GOT WHAT HE CAME FOR. Miller shores us up at the swing positions... Manu/Bowen/Miller/Udoka/Barry sounds pretty good to me! And then we only need to add one swing to replace Barry for next year.

Mr. Body
02-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I don't get the hard-ons for Kurt Thomas. What we need is scoring. Miller would help this team big time now and in the future.

Na ga happen, but can dream.

MaNu4Tres
02-03-2008, 12:13 PM

I'm pretty sure when teams go small against any of our current big guys, those guys get killed. You act like Pop never goes to Udoka or Bowen at the 4 when teams go small. We have that option. So if Kurt came in here and if a team were to go small, just like we do about every time, we would go to Bruce or Udoka at the 4. The only big that has the foot speed that has a remote chance of playing small ball is Elson. So saying Thomas would get killed against small ball is not fair. Thomas is just as slow as Oberto. I'll give you Horry, Elson and Bonner the edge in speed and Horry the edge in blocks in transition defense ( btw FYI..Bonner and Elson won't get any important playing time come April, May, and June so they can be taking out of this equation). Kurt Thomas on the other hand would be the best post defender we would have. It would let Duncan roam the weakside and it would allow our wings to stay at home with the shooters on the outside. Thomas is a hell of a post defender and hardly ever needs the help of the double team, he would challenge Amare, Gasol, KG, Sheed, Boozer, and even Dirk a lot more efficient than Oberto Elson and Horry thats for sure.

T Park
02-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah when other teams go small you just put Udoka at the 4. Pop seems finally totally confident in playing Udoka at that spot that I said back in November hes perfect for.

Kurt Thomas though would be a fantastic pickup in that he can rebound, he plays good post defense coughyaomingcough and he can knock down the outside shot quite regularly.

Hell just watch the playoffs last year and see how huge he was for Phoenix and how much they miss him now.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
There are up and downsides to Kurt Thomas. Im just frustrated that we can't find any consistency from our big men outside of Duncan and really bothered that Horry looks really, really done.

MaNu4Tres
02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
It would have been nice if Splitter came in this year. He rebounds, he isn't afraid to jump and contests shots at the rim, he can run the floor, he plays really well off the pick and roll by putting it on the floor and finishing. To tell you the truth, he would probably be our best offensive threat next to Duncan at the post position as well.

exstatic
02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
It would have been nice if Splitter came in this year. He rebounds, he isn't afraid to jump and contests shots at the rim, he can run the floor, he plays really well off the pick and roll by putting it on the floor and finishing. To tell you the truth, he would probably be our best offensive threat next to Duncan at the post position as well.
The HUGE 2007 buyout that kept him from coming this year was also one of the things that allowed him to fall to us a #28. His buyout next year is like $1M. With the Spurs kicking in their part, he can easily come over this summer.

mountainballer
02-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Miller is great. beside the fact that he doesn't play much defense (still not a downgrade from Barry/Finley in this department) he is as much Spurs material as any SF in the league. he can shoot like few others, he is versatile, he can move the ball and has the ballhandling skills of a PG. he is smart and doesn't try to be the star of the team. he has nice size for a SF and is an above average rebounder. what's not to like?
and some think we will just get him for some expiring contracts? because they sold Pau for cheap? if they put Miller on the market, they will get some nice offers. expiring contracts plus some teasers.
there are some GM out there, who know that Miller is a very good player, who fits in many ways, thanks to his abilities and versatility.
no doubt, Spurs can get him, but it will need a package that isn't a joke.
people argue they won't include Udoka or Mahinmi or even Splitter's rights in such a package?? don't you want to win??? I would hate to lose Udoka, but Miller would be 10 times as valuable as Udoka. he is nice and showed some promising games, but Miller's impact would be so much greater. (I write this, because the grizzlies were interested in Ime last summer, so he might be the teaser necessary to make the deal work)
I would also hate not to see Splitter next season with the Spurs. but if he is the price, fine.
Spurs want a significant upgrade and Miller would definitly provide such an upgrade.
a package like Barry, Elson, Ime and a 1st rounder would still be a great deal for the Spurs. (I know, many think he could be had for Barry, a 2nd rounder and Scola's rights, but those should keep dreaming)

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Miller is one of the few players I wouldn't mind trading Barry for. Ime? Probably not. Memphis' deals aren't really player-driven right now, so expiring contracts and one or two picks and some ready cash to help with this year's losses might be enough to do it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Spurs want a significant upgrade and Miller would definitly provide such an upgrade.
a package like Barry, Elson, Ime and a 1st rounder would still be a great deal for the Spurs
:vomit:

remingtonbo2001
02-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I just want everyone healthy. If we can get Miller for a couple of expiring contracts great, if not, that's fine. I doubt Barry or Finley will be traded. The Spurs FO is a very loyal group.