PDA

View Full Version : ESPN comment on Manu allstar snub

ajh18
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I didn't see this posted, though it may have been. Thought it was kind of cool. If it's been done, go ahead and delete this thread.

Manu Ginobili
Manu Ginobili is a superstar. He just happens to play shorter minutes, have a smaller scoring average, than the likes of Allen Iverson. Tony Parker was the MVP of the Finals last year, but in the guts of crunch time, Ginobili was the guy with the daggers at both ends of the floor. There's really not anything he can't do -- he is an excellent three-point shooter, he drives to the hole as splendidly as anyone, and he plays killer D. If we're picking teams, All-Star teams, pick-up teams, or whatever, I'll take Ginobili, you take Iverson, and we'll see who wins.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-132/Big-Easy--Big-Snub-.html

xamila rey
02-01-2008, 07:28 PM
cool, thanx for posting it..

mikejones99
02-01-2008, 07:36 PM
injuries r the reason Manu and tony are not all stars this year

m33p0
02-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Manu Ginobili
Manu Ginobili is a superstar. He just happens to play shorter minutes, have a smaller scoring average, than the likes of Allen Iverson. Tony Parker was the MVP of the Finals last year, but in the guts of crunch time, Ginobili was the guy with the daggers at both ends of the floor. There's really not anything he can't do -- he is an excellent three-point shooter, he drives to the hole as splendidly as anyone, and he plays killer D. If we're picking teams, All-Star teams, pick-up teams, or whatever, I'll take Ginobili, you take Iverson, and we'll see who wins.

Kori Ellis
02-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Third time posted. But thanks for posting it :lol

huyuyan21
02-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Judges in our heart!

WalterBenitez
02-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Tey aren't and they won't bc they play in SAS

timmy21_4rings
02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Tey aren't and they won't bc they play in SAS

Well, if you have to bring Manu, you have to take one player out..Which player (more specifically guard) will you take out? Furthermore, Pop does not recommend his players to other coaches. Western Conference is becoming tougher and tougher every year and almost with every trade..If my memory is correct, Manu and Parker were All-Stars before when they were playing for SAS... Do you think Hornets and Jazz get more respect than SAS? It is going to be lot tougher for Manu and TP to get selection in the coming years with the emergence of Paul, Williams and Roy with the established stars like Nash, Iverson, Davis, and Bryant. Hope no one else adds to this list in the near future. You can better decide now.

T Park
02-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Which player (more specifically guard) will you take out?

Easy, Brandon Roy.

Taco
02-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I'll take Ginobili, you take Iverson, and we'll see who wins.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-132/Big-Easy--Big-Snub-.html

GREAT COMMENT !!! :tu

Obstructed_View
02-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Team record has something to do with it.

WalterBenitez
02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I know coaches selections are tough, but NBA Champion sending only 1 ... NO Manu I could accept it, but TP is the Finals' MVP you don't like SPurs, Baron Davis ... I'd slect him over a couple of boys in the West.

Anyhow, this is an old discusion.

duncan228
02-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I know coaches selections are tough, but NBA Champion sending only 1 ...

Defending Champions sending only one seems wrong.
I think Parker would have gotten the coaches nod had he been healthy and playing well, regardless of the W/L record.

But for a brief moment when the ballots came out it looked like we wouldn't have Duncan starting. He certainly would have been a coaches pick, but not starting would have been a crime. And with him injured and out those four games who knows, maybe the coaches wouldn't have picked him.

Has there ever been an ASG with no one from the defending Champs? (I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.)

My bottom line, if we can only have the Spurs represented by one player, we've got the one that matters. When he was listed as a center I would have been okay with Duncan getting rest but I must admit I'm glad his ASG streak is still running. It does look nice on his resume when all is said and done. Especially with the hardware he has to go with the All-Star appearances. And it sure is sweet that for all the boring conversation that surrounds him...fans still vote him in. :)

timmy21_4rings
02-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Easy, Brandon Roy.

The difference is Roy is the leader in the team and he took the team where it is now. It is when everyone expected Portland to be in bottom of the conference) Same can not be said about Manu. Thats is why Roy is there.

The_Game
02-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I know coaches selections are tough, but NBA Champion sending only 1 ... NO Manu I could accept it, but TP is the Finals' MVP you don't like SPurs, Baron Davis ... I'd slect him over a couple of boys in the West.

Anyhow, this is an old discusion.

what has winning the title last year got to do with deserving all-stars this year?

TMTTRIO
02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Well it looks like PJ voted for Manu

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/sonics/notes.htm?csp=34
Coach P.J. Carlesimo said voting for the All-Star reserves this season, who were announced Thursday, was the hardest selection process he's been through since he's been in the NBA. His only selection who did not make the team was San Antonio's Manu Ginobili.

duncan228
02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Hoopsworld (I know) agrees with the Manu snub.
Baron Davis and Chris Kaman also.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7247

Western Conference All-Star Snubs

By: Preetom Bhattacharya

About a month ago, we took our first look at predicting the Western Conference All-Stars and came pretty close, nailing 10 of the 12 spots (11, with the qualifier on Brandon Roy).

It's not necessarily a feat worth boasting about; other than David West's rather surprising selection onto the All-Star team (but really, with 19.6 points and 9.40 rebounds per game on the best team on the Western Conference, is it really a surprise?), the team played out as expected.

That doesn't mean players should be content with missing out on All-Star recognition. In the deep and talented Western Conference, several players having All-Star caliber years simply didn't make the cut because of crowding.

No single player personifies that more than Baron Davis. Arguably an MVP contender this season, Davis has led the Warriors to a 28-19 record and has the team firmly in the playoff race. With 22.3 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 8.1 assists per game, Davis has the numbers that should have gotten him an All-Star bid.

It's difficult to justify Davis' inclusion ahead of Steve Nash and Chris Paul, but most Warriors fans have pined that Brandon Roy's spot should have gone to the Baron of the Bay.

Although that argument can be made, it seems that the Blazers' streak of 13 straight wins in December and Roy's continued solid play lingered in the minds of the coaches, propelling Roy slightly ahead of Baron. Unlike the ostensibly consistent Blazers, the Warriors have had hiccups against Indiana, Minnesota, and the Rockets.

The Warriors are a good team, but they simply haven't been as identified as one like the Blazers have become.

Along those lines, a guy that's absolutely tearing it up this season got no love because he isn't playing for a winner. Averaging 17.2 points, 3.0 blocks, and 13.9 rebounds per game, Chris Kaman has been an absolute beast for LA's other team, but at 14-29, the Clippers just aren't good enough to get Kaman the kind of attention needed to achieve All-Star status.

But sometimes, a player that could justifiably be an All-Star is overshadowed by, well, bigger All-Stars. Such is the case for Marcus Camby and Josh Howard. Howard's 20.8 points and 7.5 rebounds a game are overlooked for Dirk Nowitzki's offensive contributions and Camby's ridiculous 14.3 points and 3.9 blocks per game tend to hide behind the work of the flashier Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony.

In all honesty, if the All-Star team was being constructed by a GM with the intention of building a winning team, both of Howard and Camby should have made the squad because they – GASP – actually play tough defense. It's too bad that unquantifiable things like defensive intensity don't help guys Camby and Howard out.

The glitz and glamour game the NBA has become simply doesn't reward the work these guys do.

Which brings us to the last player who should be disappointed by the tough circumstances in the Western Conference: Manu Ginobili. He truly is the least-heralded superstar in the league because he successfully hides behind Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. Duncan's the big man who can and Parker's the fancy and sophisticated point guard with the gorgeous wife.

Somewhere in between, though, Ginobili fits in to do the dirty work. When Duncan and Parker were out with injuries, it was Ginobili who toughed it out and admittedly exhausted himself in trying to keep the Spurs above water. He's only started in four games this year, but he's still averaging 19.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 4.2 assists per game, while also being one of the league's most entertaining and creative players.

But again, the guy that expends his energy playing tough defense (not as good as Howard or Camby, but annoying defense nonetheless) doesn't necessarily win the All-Star.

It's all too bad, too, because it would be tough to take any of the named All-Stars off the roster as well. With so many deserving players, the job of an NBA coach in selecting these spots isn't an easy one.

The worst part? That's just the way it's going to be with this infusion of talent across the board – even if the roster was expanded to 15, as many have argued, we'd still be sitting here arguing about the 16th guy that missed out.

Just the way it is.

Supreme_Being
02-03-2008, 02:33 AM
ASG doesn't really matter for me. What matters, at least for me, are the championships.

greens
02-03-2008, 06:13 AM
I posted the below on the other thread...but I guess it's more fitting here:

It's another All Star Snub article that mentions both Manu and Tony:

G – Manu Ginobili: Spurs are slumping, but that's no fault of his. Even with his shooting hand dinged up for the past month, he's averaging a career-high 19.5 points, a three-point hike from his previous best, while clocking under 30 minutes a night. He's the engine that revs the defending champions. Honorable mention – Tony Parker has the numbers, but also a bad left heel, so he wouldn't play anyway.

source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmMtrtQB_6_DxIJjQhMNbX2kvLYF?slug=jy-allsnubbed013108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns