PDA

View Full Version : the league wants celtics vs. lakers.

inconvertible
02-02-2008, 07:22 AM
well, i think they are gonna get it. :depressed

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2008, 08:34 AM
not on my watch

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 08:52 AM
personally, I think the trade was somehow facilitated and pushed by stern. i think it's all bullshit. why does memphis make that trade? they could have gotten much more than what they got.

MONTENEGRINO
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
As I can see, now Lakers have bigger chance to play the Finals than the C's...

The_Game
02-02-2008, 10:07 AM
As I can see, now Lakers have bigger chance to play the Finals than the C's...

How the hell do you fiqure that? celtics only have to wonder about the pistons. lakers still have to beat some very good teams.

ducks
02-02-2008, 10:13 AM
why
lets see if they gel

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
if the lakers get through to the finals

TAINTED

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-02-2008, 10:24 AM
LMAO, don't start crying conspiracy, the Spurs draw terrible ratings and have BEEN the dominant franchise in the NBA the past 10 years, that should orive the NBA isn't fixing ANYTHING

Lakers pulled off an incredible trade and that's that

now it's up to the Spurs to counter

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2008, 10:32 AM
i hope karma comes around again

like in 03/04 lakers buyin there way through to the finals only to be xpose as the fake showtime fakers

batboy
02-02-2008, 10:37 AM
FFS you people sound like a bunch of Suns fans.Thankfully the Spurs won't be rolling over and mouthing conspiracy theories like this board. Try to get your heads back on by May.

J.T.
02-02-2008, 10:42 AM
This trade definitely propelled the Lakers to their threepeat-era dominance of the Spurs.

Extra Stout
02-02-2008, 11:28 AM
well, i think they are gonna get it. :depressed
only ron paul can stop them

BonnerDynasty
02-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Ron Paul is from Texas. He better look after his own!

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 11:46 AM
This trade definitely propelled the Lakers to their threepeat-era dominance of the Spurs.

shaq in prime > gasol + bynum

shaq gave the mental edge to the lakers. the spurs were shitting in their pants every time they played the lakers back in that era and that basically destroyed their confidence. shaq was a scary beast and that gave them the edge. Gasol, on the other hand, is scary, but only when his beard is full grown.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 11:48 AM
for anyone who is saying that there is no conspiracy:

this is a business first and foremost and honesty comes after profit.

BonnerDynasty
02-02-2008, 11:51 AM

Signed,
The 2007 NBA Finals.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
what?

Cry Havoc
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
If the Spurs get Mike Miller, I think we are the clear favorites again.

Without him, I think we're even or slightly better than LA.

Think about it:

Duncan + Fabs > Bynum + Gasol in the playoffs. Remember how awesome Fabs was last year? He'll be that again. And no one can guard Duncan.

Then you have Bowen + Parker + Ginobili vs Fish + Kobe + Odom. Tough but I'd call it even, since Bowen can get in Kobe's head a bit. Odom will probably be guarded by Udoka, who should be able to handle him pretty well. The Lakers still have NO ONE to guard Parker.

BonnerDynasty
02-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Fisher is Spurs killer.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 11:55 AM
how would the spurs get mike miller? I'm not complaining, but are they trying to pick him up or something? I can't see a trade scenario where memphis would agree to a package not including one of our big 3, unless, of course, Jerry west is high on crack like he was when he was negotiating thelaker deal

Jimcs50
02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
For all of us fans who watched the NBA in the 80's, I think it would be great theater, and would reignite the league which has been on a down swing the last few Finals. I grew up watch this rivalry and was mesmerized by it each time. This is not Magic vs Bird, but I promise you, the tv ratings would be a 100% increase over the last 5 Finals....so who can blame the NBA for wanting this Finals.

Cry Havoc
02-02-2008, 12:00 PM
how would the spurs get mike miller? I'm not complaining, but are they trying to pick him up or something? I can't see a trade scenario where memphis would agree to a package not including one of our big 3, unless, of course, Jerry west is high on crack like he was when he was negotiating thelaker deal

Well we sure had to give them a lot to get Stoudamire. :lol

Seriously though, if they are having a firesale, Miller would be huge for us. He'd instantly be our best 3 point threat and we'd have TWO killers from downtown when Barry comes back. That means our offense would always have options if they double Duncan. Combine that with Manu's effective play when the D can't focus on him, and the offense suddenly becomes very scary.

Offer them Vaughn + Elson + picks? Anything. Anything to get Miller that's not going to directly affect our current rotation.

According to real GM, Horry + Vaughn + Elson works. I don't know how draft picks would figure into the situation if we didn't want to give up Horry.

Emeyin
02-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Well we sure had to give them a lot to get Stoudamire. :lol

Seriously though, if they are having a firesale, Miller would be huge for us. He'd instantly be our best 3 point threat and we'd have TWO killers from downtown when Barry comes back. That means our offense would always have options if they double Duncan. Combine that with Manu's effective play when the D can't focus on him, and the offense suddenly becomes very scary.

Offer them Vaughn + Elson + picks? Anything. Anything to get Miller that's not going to directly affect our current rotation.

Please make this happen!

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 12:06 PM
well, i'd normally say that the combination of vaughn, elson, and picks isn't enough for miller, considering vaughn and elson are both shit players, but it seems Jerry West has a fetish for shit so who knows...

JamStone
02-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Co-signed,

the 1997 draft lottery

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I think Spurs/Celtics would get some very good ratings. The Spurs are finally a team that most people are familiar with...you've got Tim vs. KG...the Celtics against the franchise player they should have had in TD...the return of the Celtics to elite status. That would be a great series, too.

I'm not handing the West over to the Lakers yet.

duncan228
02-02-2008, 12:45 PM
For all of us fans who watched the NBA in the 80's, I think it would be great theater, and would reignite the league which has been on a down swing the last few Finals. I grew up watch this rivalry and was mesmerized by it each time. This is not Magic vs Bird, but I promise you, the tv ratings would be a 100% increase over the last 5 Finals....so who can blame the NBA for wanting this Finals.

I was watching then. Larry Bird is how I became an NBA fan.
It was a wonderful time for the league and the fans. It didn't matter if you were actually a fan of either team, many people I knew watched because of how great the games were and they could simply root for East/West based on where they lived.

I agree that LA/Boston would raise ratings. I agree the NBA is a business.
But I don't buy into the league being fixed to control what teams get to the Finals. It's easy to read into it and see what you want to see. But based on the ratings the Spurs have brought to 4 Finals, one with LeBron (!), it would appear that the league does not fix it. The Spurs would never have gotten there if it was fixed.

A personal rant: If the league could figure out how to market the most decorated active player they have, the best role model they have for kids, maybe ratings for Spurs games would be better. I know that flash and pizzazz sell. I know the average fan wants highlight reels. But it still frustrates me to no end that Duncan can't get a push from the league. Anything can be marketed. The NBA has some top notch marketing folks. Figure it out. Use him. (Even though he probably doesn't want to be used! :lol)

JamStone
02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I think Spurs/Celtics would get some very good ratings. The Spurs are finally a team that most people are familiar with...you've got Tim vs. KG...the Celtics against the franchise player they should have had in TD...the return of the Celtics to elite status. That would be a great series, too.

I'm not handing the West over to the Lakers yet.

I'm sure Spurs/Celtics would do fine in the ratings. But, to be honest, if Boston makes it to the Finals, it won't matter who they play against, the Finals will get good ratings. People are watching that team.

But if the Spurs play Cleveland again, the ratings will be similar to last year, and it won't matter that people are familiar with the Spurs.

picnroll
02-02-2008, 12:56 PM
We are re-entering an era when the big market teams, who can make acquisitions without being sensitive to luxury tax issue, will dominate. Lakers could and did make this move because, based on their revenue, they could take the luxury tax hit of picking up a player on fire sale from a team who was willing to "give' talent away for in exchange but cutting payroll. As the economy slumps this adavntage will magnify. Hopefully the league will go to revenue sharing or an absolute hard cap to correct this imbalance. Otherwise small market teams will have zero chance and I for one will find another sport to follow.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sure Spurs/Celtics would do fine in the ratings. But, to be honest, if Boston makes it to the Finals, it won't matter who they play against, the Finals will get good ratings. People are watching that team.

But if the Spurs play Cleveland again, the ratings will be similar to last year, and it won't matter that people are familiar with the Spurs.

People wrote off Cleveland after game one. A six or seven game series would do better...but you're right, I think the only ratings winner out of the east against SA would be Boston.

LA and Boston get the hype, but I don't buy that there's a conspiracy to match them up this year.

picnroll
02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
http://picturebook.chattablogs.com/archives/images/06_02_11.jpg
What's the matter douchebag? Afraid of a level playing field?

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 01:08 PM
http://picturebook.chattablogs.com/archives/images/06_02_11.jpg

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-02-2008, 01:10 PM
That kid's got a lotta teef.

JamStone
02-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Success is still talent driven, big market or small market. Was it fair that the Spurs got Tim Duncan when they already had David Robinson on the roster just because Robinson got hurt the prior season? Revenue sharing already exists in some respects, though not to any great extent. And, an absolute hard cap is fine but that doesn't guarantee parity at all. Players will still generally choose big market cities and teams with a strong history of success. A hard cap doesn't create parity. In fact, not having a hard cap allows some small market cities to land elite free agents by really over spending to get them.

ricketts
02-02-2008, 01:16 PM
It souds like memphis is trying to rebuild completely, so i wouldnt say anything is off the table. But they're probably gonna realize they got hosed of the Gasul deal in a day or two and start to demand more for what they got. It's not imposible, we just have to figure out what they're game plan is and offer something attractive to that.

I think Stoudemire was it for the spurs this season though. better hope its enough now.

picnroll
02-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Success is still talent driven, big market or small market. Was it fair that the Spurs got Tim Duncan when they already had David Robinson on the roster just because Robinson got hurt the prior season? Revenue sharing already exists in some respects, though not to any great extent. And, an absolute hard cap is fine but that doesn't guarantee parity at all. Players will still generally choose big market cities and teams with a strong history of success. A hard cap doesn't create parity. In fact, not having a hard cap allows some small market cities to land elite free agents by really over spending to get them.
Duncan was a lottery. You can say Spurs tanked which is pure conjecture but seeing as they didn't have nearly that great of odds of getting him, it was luck unless you want to say Stern rigged it so the Spurs could get him.

Big city franchises will always have an advantage in desireability and endorsement packeages the Nike's of the world will hand out depending on where you play. Why compound the situation? Make it a hard cap like football. Seems to work just fine there. Wait and see what happens to small franchise teams if there's a prolonged recession and lots of unemployment.

JamStone
02-02-2008, 02:05 PM
A hard cap works in the NFL because even small market teams are making money. There are only a couple of teams that don't routinely sell out. Small market teams in the NBA don't sell out, they don't make money. If you make it a hard cap in the NBA, then it gives even more of a disadvantage to small market teams because then they can't over spend to attract quality free agents. The parity comes with the soft cap so that teams over the cap can't sign big name free agents. A hard cap would actually hurt the small market teams more than making it a level playing field.

ehz33satx
02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
If the Lakers could not get it done with Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone, now they are the favs to win the west with Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum? That's a stretch.

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 02:24 PM
To be fair Payton and Malone were in the twilight of their careers. And that team still made it to the NBA Finals and beat the shit out of the Spurs (4-2).

There are no guarantees in sports, but that team delivered on the promise of giving LA a chance to contend in the NBA Finals which they did.

LA24
02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
If the Lakers could not get it done with Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone, now they are the favs to win the west with Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum? That's a stretch.
No doubt.

Lakers will still have to play their best to survive the west. But at least we're
better equipped for the job now.

JamStone
02-02-2008, 02:33 PM
People always like to criticize that 2004 Lakers team. Hello! They still made it to the NBA Finals, even with all their issues. Malone was 40. Payton was 35. Kobe and Shaq were at odds. Kobe was dealing the entire year with the Denver trial.

And, they still made it all the way to the NBA Finals. I wonder why a lot of fans of other teams continue to use that team as an example of failing just because they lost in the Finals. They lost in the NBA Finals.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
it happened because money was covertly slipped under the table from jerry buss (or whatever the fuck his name is - the dude who owns the lakers) to jerry west.

jerry west has close ties with the organization (obviously), and he conceded to the trade because either 1). the money buss was offering him was to much to pass up or 2). he is going to take the position as lakers gm in the near future and he wants a solid foundation to work with AND be apart of a winning franchise, again, or 3). because of both reasons.

This needs to be investigated by the stern. that is, if he isn't in on it. and if that is the case - which i think it may very well be - than all of us fans - who want to see honest basketball - will just have to watch this bullshit.

JamStone
02-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Jerry West doesn't run the Grizzlies anymore. He did not make the trade.

LA24
02-02-2008, 02:39 PM
They lost in the NBA Finals.

Ugghh, more like we got spanked in the Finals.
I still feel bad for Malone.

JamStone
02-02-2008, 02:45 PM
My point is that people want to criticize the Lakers for getting Gasol by comparing them to the 2004 team with Payton and Malone, but that team still got to the Finals.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Pau Gasol > Kwame Brown. That's not saying much. Pau was the second or third best player on the Grizzlies.

The best thing about this trade is that it prevents the Spurs from making some idiotic trade so they can run a 4 surrounded by guards for 48 minutes.

daslicer
02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
We are re-entering an era when the big market teams, who can make acquisitions without being sensitive to luxury tax issue, will dominate. Lakers could and did make this move because, based on their revenue, they could take the luxury tax hit of picking up a player on fire sale from a team who was willing to "give' talent away for in exchange but cutting payroll. As the economy slumps this adavntage will magnify. Hopefully the league will go to revenue sharing or an absolute hard cap to correct this imbalance. Otherwise small market teams will have zero chance and I for one will find another sport to follow.

Interesting point you make with that but it can work both ways. Look at the Knicks those guys are idiots they continue to overpay players and make terrible trades. In this case the Lakers got lucky for once that their dipshit GM was able to pull off a good trade.

I don't fear Gasol people in here overate him. He's a good player but is he enough to end the spurs season in the playoffs I would say no. He's a very good regular seaon player that can get W's for regular season but I don't see him being a thorn come playoff time.

hsxvvd
02-02-2008, 05:50 PM
All you need to know about Gasol

2001-02 - 23-59
2002-03 - 28-54
2003-04 - 50-32 (Swept 1st Round) :lol
2004-05 - 45-37 (Swept 1st Round) :lol
2005-06 - 49-33 (Swept 1st Round) :lol
2006-07 - 22-60
2007-08 - 13-33

Nuff said.

Winner's win.

Loser's lose.

MajicMan
02-02-2008, 06:57 PM
We still have to beat the Spurs and we match horribly with them even with Gasol. We should probably be able to take any other team in the west.

MajicMan
02-02-2008, 06:59 PM

2001-02 - 23-59
2002-03 - 28-54
2006-07 - 22-60
2007-08 - 13-33

Nuff said.

Winner's win.

Loser's lose.
Spurs have never repeated. History tends to repeat itself. Spurs are a good team but not dominant the way the Lakers were with Shaq. Gasol may have never won anything but he still makes us a better team. Don't be so fucken retarded.

SenorSpur
02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Don't worry. Aint gonna happen.

BonnerDynasty
02-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't understand why Spurs like to bring up history patterns. Like just said, Spurs never repeat. Going off of history, Spur fan might as well take the season off.

The_Game
02-02-2008, 07:35 PM

2001-02 - 23-59
2002-03 - 28-54
2006-07 - 22-60
2007-08 - 13-33

Nuff said.

Winner's win.

Loser's lose.

Parker and Manu would be considered losers as well then if they replace Gasol during his time there. Don't be such a moron.

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Parker and Manu would be considered losers as well then if they replace Gasol during his time there. Don't be such a moron.

Seriously how dumb are your fellow Spur fans? They act like Gasol will be carrying this team when in fact he'll be the 3rd or 4th option.

The Truth #6
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
The idea that Stern masterminded this trade is ridiculous. This is the same svengali that traded Shaq for Odom and a bag of peanuts? How devious. Puppetmaster an awful trade so no one will later suspect him of delivering the title delivering Gasol to the Lakers. Brilliant!

In reality Gasol is another third banana who thinks he's a legit max player. He'll probably just get in Bynum's way when he returns and create chemistry problems. Lakers got better talent but more players to take shots from Kobe. We'll see if Kobe is a real team player now that he actually has someone to play with.

WalterBenitez
02-02-2008, 08:00 PM
$tern revival :D

Medvedenko
02-02-2008, 08:14 PM
The idea that Stern masterminded this trade is ridiculous. This is the same svengali that traded Shaq for Odom and a bag of peanuts? How devious. Puppetmaster an awful trade so no one will later suspect him of delivering the title delivering Gasol to the Lakers. Brilliant!

In reality Gasol is another third banana who thinks he's a legit max player. He'll probably just get in Bynum's way when he returns and create chemistry problems. Lakers got better talent but more players to take shots from Kobe. We'll see if Kobe is a real team player now that he actually has someone to play with.

The Gasol trade told me one thing...Spurs fans are scared, but another thing is their ineptitude in understanding Kobe's game the past 3 seasons. Kobe's been passing and sharing the rock this year than previous years.

picnroll
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
The Gasol trade told me one thing...Spurs fans are scared, but another thing is their ineptitude in understanding Kobe's game the past 3 seasons. Kobe's been passing and sharing the rock this year than previous years.
Spurs fans are far, far, far more scared of health issues and Parker returning to form than the Lakers.

Rummpd
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
This is Lakers best chance (still will not happen) next year Duncan has Tiago next to him!

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Yup Spurs fans are very scared. I knew the moment I heard some guy comparing Gasol to Hedo Turkolgu.

picnroll
02-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Yup Spurs fans are very scared. I knew the moment I heard some guy comparing Gasol to Hedo Turkolgu.
I'd rather have Hedo. Better defender, better rebounder. And not just saying that because Lakers have Gasol. Hedo, the way he's playing would guarantee the Spurs a title if they're healthy. Gasol? Not.

Medvedenko
02-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Gasol's Line vs the Warriors 2 weeks ago....
43 on 17/25 11 boards and 3 assists.......

Yeah, he sucks and can't play in the L. It's funny hearing about you guys getting Mike Miller or whoever else...you're scared....it's ok....You guys are looking very mortal this year even when your "Big" 3 is healthy.....have fun getting old.

Medvedenko
02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd rather have Hedo. Better defender, better rebounder. And not just saying that because Lakers have Gasol. Hedo, the way he's playing would guarantee the Spurs a title if they're healthy. Gasol? Not.

Hedo....really...having a good season no doubt...but is about as clutch as Gasol in the playoffs...oh and Gasol is a franchise player. It's funny, Garnett was putting up crazy #'s in Minny and they were a lottery team. Look at him now.....put talent around a big man with a system designed for the low post and he'll flourish as will the Lakers. :wakeup

TwoHandJam
02-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Jerry West doesn't run the Grizzlies anymore. He did not make the trade.
Right. He was only president of basketball operations for them less than a year ago. This had absolutely nothing to do with he and Kupchak having ties. Just like Ainge and McHale's relationship had nothing to do with the Boston trade.

magic2kb8
02-02-2008, 08:38 PM
LMAO, don't start crying conspiracy, the Spurs draw terrible ratings and have BEEN the dominant franchise in the NBA the past 10 years, that should orive the NBA isn't fixing ANYTHING

Lakers pulled off an incredible trade and that's that

now it's up to the Spurs to counter

new here, but thank you for making a reasonable post.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Spurs have never repeated. History tends to repeat itself. Spurs are a good team but not dominant the way the Lakers were with Shaq. Gasol may have never won anything but he still makes us a better team. Don't be so fucken retarded.
I'm sorry, are you comparing a guy who hasn't won a playoff game to a team that only wins titles every other year?

Rummpd
02-02-2008, 08:42 PM
The idea that the Lakers suddenly jumped ahead of the Spurs is sublime. Spurs weakness was bench scoring and they added a player with a career near 14 point average and Ime is also improving daily. Spurs have many bigs to counter the Lakers as well as any team in the league, and two - three great defenders to put on Kobe. Moreover, for all his recent problems, K. Brown was a hell of lot better defender historically on Duncan than either Gasol or Bynum.

People forget that this week the Spurs got a darn good PG for nothing!

Next year again the Spurs add Tiago Splitter who internationally had outplayed Gasol and many other bigs.

NO FRIGGIN WORRIES!

Medvedenko
02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
The idea that the Lakers suddenly jumped ahead of the Spurs is sublime. Spurs weakness was bench scoring and they added a player with a career near 14 point average and Ime is also improving daily. Spurs have many bigs to counter the Lakers as well as any team in the league, and two - three great defenders to put on Kobe. Moreover, for all his recent problems, K. Brown was a hell of lot better defender historically on Duncan than either Gasol or Bynum.

Next year again the Spurs add Tiago Splitter who internationally had outplayed Gasol and many other bigs.

NO FRIGGIN WORRIES!

Well than no worries then...you should be a GM or something...you're way to smart for all of us. Now you're comparing Brown to Gasol....hahahahaha. Please just admit that you are indeed worried as Spurs fans were worried when our team was actually healthy. You guys are mortal this year...it's not going to happen. Oh, and I love the fact that a bunch of you sheep keep brining up that the reg season means shit but throw it our face when the spurs are ahead of them in the reg season. Seriously, I love it that the spurs faithful is in all out scared mode now. Like I said in many posts prior, if healthy there are 5 teams in the West that can make it through. The lakers are not legitimately one of them. Enjoy your old team.

picnroll
02-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Lakers' fans with pre-mature ejaculation again.

Medvedenko
02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Pau Gasol traded for Brown......sorry bud, not premature....it's an all out money shot on the rest of the West. Chemistry is next..............I give it a couple of weeks.

Bynum out another 4 weeks I here.............................................. ...............................................goi ng to feel pretty good.

spursrule32
02-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Well than no worries then...you should be a GM or something...you're way to smart for all of us. Now you're comparing Brown to Gasol....hahahahaha. Please just admit that you are indeed worried as Spurs fans were worried when our team was actually healthy. You guys are mortal this year...it's not going to happen. Oh, and I love the fact that a bunch of you sheep keep brining up that the reg season means shit but throw it our face when the spurs are ahead of them in the reg season. Seriously, I love it that the spurs faithful is in all out scared mode now. Like I said in many posts prior, if healthy there are 5 teams in the West that can make it through. The lakers are not legitimately one of them. Enjoy your old team.

No, just admit that you're hoping that Spurs fans are worried to cover up your own insecurity about whether this trade really makes the Lakers a contender. Deep down you know that Kobe is talented but will never have the charisma to inspire average players to play well like MJ (or even as Lebron has.) Kobe is all about Kobe and putting better players around him helps, but ultimately it doesn't solve the selfish problem that he has. Yes, he's played more team ball as of late, but if you notice when they're in tight spots with good teams he starts playing selfish again with a loss as the result. 8 turnovers against the Spurs recently was a pretty good example.

hsxvvd
02-02-2008, 09:28 PM

Like I said "WINNERS WIN"
http://www.nba.com/media/finals2007/parker_mvp_300_070614.jpg

http://www.dubfrequency.com/blog/archives/ManuGold.jpg

"LOSERS LOSE"

http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20070917elpepudep_3/LCO340/Ies/Pau_Gasol_junto_companeros_victoria_Rusia.jpg

http://withmalice.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/kobe2.jpg

Somethings will just have to wait until the playoffs :hungry:

DazedAndConfused
02-02-2008, 09:34 PM
The one thing I'd be worried about if I were a Spurs fan is the Lakers are really only going to get better in the next 5 years. They have a great mixture of youth and veteran talent, and none of their players other than Derek Fisher are over 30 years old.

The Spurs OTOH:

Duncan - 32 years old
Manu - 31 years old
Bowen - 37 years old
Barry - 37 years old
Horry - 38 years old
Finley - 36 years old

The big 3 probably have a few more years left in them, but all those role players are pretty much done either this season or the next. I don't see any impressive young talent the Spurs are developing outside of Udoka (Vaughan, Bonner, Elson, Oberto don't scare me). For the Spurs to be a championship team all of the big 3 has to be playing at their peak level, we've already seen how beatable they are when they aren't.

LA24
02-02-2008, 09:41 PM

"LOSERS LOSE"

Really ? I didn't know that when you lose, you are a loser and when you win, you are a winner. Thanks for clarifying.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/mazizzz/captainobviouslb4.jpg

MajicMan
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/finals2007/parker_mvp_300_070614.jpg

http://www.dubfrequency.com/blog/archives/ManuGold.jpg

"LOSERS LOSE"

http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20070917elpepudep_3/LCO340/Ies/Pau_Gasol_junto_companeros_victoria_Rusia.jpg

http://withmalice.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/kobe2.jpg

Somethings will just have to wait until the playoffs :hungry:

OK, now...

You weren't winning three years in a row when the Lakers kicked your ass. You weren't winning when D Fish .04'd your ass either. This is stupid. Spurs are still the favorites in the west. Nobody said they weren't. Lakers haven't proved anything with this squad but that doesn't mean they're not capable of it. We are the second best team in the West. Mavs, Suns, and Jazz are still good teams but we have more depth and are a much improved team. You act as if Gasol were some type of scrub.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/74353965_27986ec68d.jpg

JamStone
02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
There are quite a few insecure Spurs fans. Just give the Lakers credit for upgrading their team. Whether you believe it puts them over the top or not, they did improve and they're a lot more of a threat than before.

Capt Bringdown
02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
There are quite a few insecure Spurs fans. Just give the Lakers credit for upgrading their team. Whether you believe it puts them over the top or not, they did improve and they're a lot more of a threat than before.
Agreed. I hate the Lakers, but come on, that was a damn good trade.

You gotta recognize that the Lakers are the NBA's premiere franchise. The have their down times, but it seems they always find a way to get it done. Titles in damn near every decade, right?

hsxvvd
02-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Agreed. I hate the Lakers, but come on, that was a damn good trade.

You gotta recognize that the Lakers are the NBA's premiere franchise. The have their down times, but it seems they always find a way to get it done. Titles in damn near every decade, right?

It helps to have spoiled brats who will only play in LA, but yes they've been thereabouts most years. I know it's also been mentioned in a few of the other threads, but having huge revenue and opportunities for players to earn big bucks in endorsements helps too.

But, I do give the Lakers credit, New York and the Clippers haven't seemed to make anything out of the same advantages.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
i'm by far more pissed off at the fact that this trade happened because stern pushed for it. and let me tell you, stern did push for it. and not only did he push for it, he MADE it happen. He was pushing hard for this. I can't beleive all the fucking retards in here that are so naive to believe that this can't happen. that this is an honest league. well, it isn't. this shouldn't have happened. nobody in thier right mind would have made this trade if ur on the griz side of things. if it wasn't ties between both oranizations through jerry west, it was stern orchestrating it all, promising a lot money to the griz and its owners that the nba will certainly make in the near future with this trade- as this trade will definitely bring in more fans, and, needless to say, money. alot of it, too. sells of all things lakers are already going upin span and all across europe because of it, and they haven't proved anything yet. their popularity will go waaaaaaaaaay up if they actually do any damage in the playoffs.

MajicMan
02-02-2008, 10:32 PM
i'm by far more pissed off at the fact that this trade happened because stern pushed for it. and let me tell you, stern did push for it. and not only did he push for it, he MADE it happen. He was pushing hard for this. I can't beleive all the fucking retards in here that are so naive to believe that this can't happen. that this is an honest league. well, it isn't. this shouldn't have happened. nobody in thier right mind would have made this trade if ur on the griz side of things. if it wasn't ties between both oranizations through jerry west, it was stern orchestrating it all, promising a lot money to the griz and its owners that the nba will certainly make in the near future with this trade- as this trade will definitely bring in more fans, and, needless to say, money. alot of it, too.
Are you an NBA insider or just a retard? I'm assuming just a retard.

LA24
02-02-2008, 10:35 PM
i'm by far more pissed off at the fact that this trade happened because stern pushed for it.

What the hell are you pissed off about ? We got a nobody remember ? Just ask your friends here. Gasol is on the 1st-all-pussy team. He's a scrub. He's useless. He's just another Hedo.

Lakers are the ones who got the short end of the stick here. We should be pissed for losing Kwame's "defense."

So please STFU already.

batboy
02-02-2008, 10:36 PM

This is not a conversation with Lakers fans. I can't help it if you want to jump into these threads. Anything negative we have to say about Gasol is aimed at the Spurs fans that are shitting kittens for no reason.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2008, 11:20 PM
The one thing I'd be worried about if I were a Spurs fan is the Lakers are really only going to get better in the next 5 years. They have a great mixture of youth and veteran talent, and none of their players other than Derek Fisher are over 30 years old.

The Spurs OTOH:

Duncan - 32 years old
Manu - 31 years old
Bowen - 37 years old
Barry - 37 years old
Horry - 38 years old
Finley - 36 years old

The big 3 probably have a few more years left in them, but all those role players are pretty much done either this season or the next. I don't see any impressive young talent the Spurs are developing outside of Udoka (Vaughan, Bonner, Elson, Oberto don't scare me). For the Spurs to be a championship team all of the big 3 has to be playing at their peak level, we've already seen how beatable they are when they aren't.

The above is known as "whistling past the graveyard".

Just so you know, Udoka's not all that young, and Mahinmi and Splitter should worry you. And they shouldn't worry you nearly as much as Portland does, because the window for everyone in the West looks to be open for two to three more years max.

hsxvvd
02-02-2008, 11:34 PM
This is not a conversation with Lakers fans. I can't help it if you want to jump into these threads. Anything negative we have to say about Gasol is aimed at the Spurs fans that are shitting kittens for no reason.

:clap

BonnerDynasty
02-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Just gotta keep reminding myself that the Spurs won't have to beat all 8 teams to get to the Finals.

hsxvvd
02-02-2008, 11:39 PM
That's the hilarious situation here. We're all arguing about Spurs > Lakers, and talking about how Lakers have "over-taken" Phoenix, Dallas and Utah. But just all our luck, New Orleans top us all :lol