PDA

View Full Version : Why is Pau Gasol all of a sudden a bigger name now?

SpursDynasty
02-02-2008, 11:17 PM
So he's going to the Lakers...BFD.

Same player, new team. He was never a big deal before and he still isn't a big deal. You bandwagoners need to STFU about Gasol this and Gasol that.

Why bother? The Spurs will sweep the Lakers in the WCF.

LA24
02-02-2008, 11:30 PM

Same player, new team. He was never a big deal before and he still isn't a big deal. You bandwagoners need to STFU about Gasol this and Gasol that.

Exactly. No big deal. So why start yet ANOTHER Gasol thread ?
Couldn't you just post this in the other Gasol threads already proclaiming the same garbage.

You're lucky I'm not the moderator here. I would've lock this up before you even pressed the "submit reply" button.

JamStone
02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
On Memphis, franchise player, #1 option.

On Lakers, third or fourth best player, third or fourth option.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-02-2008, 11:39 PM
You're lucky I'm not the moderator here. I would've lock this up before you even pressed the "submit reply" button.
Your board would be shit then.

Roxsfan
02-02-2008, 11:48 PM
wow, now you're starting to make some sense here.

this post endorsed by Jessica Alba :elephant

http://www.hollywood-celebrity-pictures.com/Celebrities/Jessica-Alba/Jessica-Alba-226.JPG

LA24
02-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Your board would be shit then.

Yes, it would be the shit...good shit that is. It would be void of 20 threads saying the same shit. That's good shit is it not ? :rolleyes

LakeShow
02-03-2008, 12:45 AM
He was always a big name thrown out there but because he's a lakers, fans want to act like dicks and try to belittle him. Ya'll are just jealous and rightfully so, it was a steal and definitely makes the lakers a better team. So just be prepared to deal with us in the playoffs and show us he and the Lakers aren't shit.

:smokin

ehz33satx
02-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Serious. Where did he ever take the Grizzlies? Now he goes to the Lakers and all of a sudden they are going to win the Western Conference? Like I said in another thread, Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton could not get it done. Now all of a sudden because of Gasol, the Lakers are unbeatable? Horseshit.

san antonio spurs
02-03-2008, 03:11 AM

Lol, the fact that you see the lakers in the WCF is a reason enough to make it a big deal, because previously they were considered a first round exit.

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 03:11 AM
Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton beat the shit out of your Spurs and went to the NBA Finals. How is that doing nothing?

san antonio spurs
02-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Serious. Where did he ever take the Grizzlies? Now he goes to the Lakers and all of a sudden they are going to win the Western Conference? Like I said in another thread, Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton could not get it done. Now all of a sudden because of Gasol, the Lakers are unbeatable? Horseshit.
:wtf where were you in 2004?

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 03:28 AM
NEWSFLASH SPURS FANS

Kobe+Malone+Shaq+Payton kicked the crap out of your team in 2004. Yes they lost to DET in the Finals, but at least they made it to the NBA Finals. So if you are going to call going to the Finals a disgrace then so be it, but at least they delivered on their promise of contending for a championship.

m33p0
02-03-2008, 03:43 AM
ho-hum.

themvp
02-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Why I don't like him is because he plays like a little girl. If there is small contact he immediately falls down to the court.

remingtonbo2001
02-03-2008, 02:29 PM
It's pretty lame when you have to use an alter-ego in order to create intrest in your own thread.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Gasol is quite good.

JamStone
02-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Why I don't like him is because he plays like a little girl. If there is small contact he immediately falls down to the court.

So do other good players like Iverson, Wade, and Manu. Do you not like Manu?

RonMexico
02-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm slightly nervous about this trade. Not sure, though because I've seen him get destroyed both by fast paced teams and those with a strong low-post presence.

ancestron
02-04-2008, 11:39 AM
It will be interesting to see how this works out.
I've always thought Gasol to be pretty underrated.

Soul_Patch
02-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I would have loved to see him come to the Spurs, i think it makes the lakers stronger for sure...does it give them what it takes to go the distance? I think that is yet to be seen.

Doug Collins
02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Gasol as a 3rd or 4th option is perfect for him, because he doesnt have to worry about having the offense run through him or being "the man". The guy is good despite being "soft". As a Spurs fan I would take him in a heartbeat over any of our other bigs minus Duncan of course. The lakers have two legit scoring big men with an energy guy like Turiaf coming off the bench. That is a strong deep team. We'll see how he fits in, but on paper, I would not want to see them in the playoffs.

The lakers traded nothing to get him, and even if it doesnt work out he's about 100x better than Kwame Brown could ever be.

DazedAndConfused
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Thank you Doug, glad to see Pau getting some respect on here. Look no Laker fan is saying the Lakers are going to beat everyone in the NBA now that they have Pau, at least none of the smart ones. We all know the road to the Finals goes through SAS. All I am saying is we have a very good chance now and in the future so long as Pau meshes well with this team, which appears to be a foregone conclusion.

Medvedenko
02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks Doug.....

ancestron
02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Fisher, Bryant, Odom, Gasol, Bynum.

Thats a good 5. period.

sa_kid20
02-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Same player, new team. He was never a big deal before and he still isn't a big deal.
Gasol is a good player and no doubt this makes the Lakers better. A lot of people are saying he is soft and this & that but the bottom line is that if the Spurs were some how able to get him we would all be going crazy right now.

VaSpursFan
02-04-2008, 01:42 PM
gasol is a solid player, he's just not the type that can lead a team. but, he won't be asked to do that in lala land.

if bynum was throwin up 15 and 10, i look for pau to put up comparable numbers. the guy is skilled offensively and you have to guard him. a change of scenery will probably do him some justice. as he builds confidence, i look for him to do some good things. i just wished the Spurs would have made a run at him since he was basically given away for a bag of peanuts and a coke.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Fisher, Bryant, Odom, Gasol, Bynum.

Thats a good 5. period.

It's not just a good 5, it's the overall balance and depth. At the very least, adequate back-ups at each position. Shooters in Farmar, Vujacic, and Radman. Athletic energy guys in Turiaf and Ariza. And, a lot of flexibility with multiple guys that can play multiple positions. I don't think it can be overstated how balanced the roster is. It can go big as with the starting line-up, or it can go small with Gasol at the 5 and Odom at the 4 and Kobe at the 3. It can run half-court sets or bring in Farmar, Vujacic, Ariza, and Turiaf and play uptempo. As seemingly poor a job Kupchak did maintaining a quality roster after Shaq was traded, the mere addition of Gasol and the developments and improvements of Bynum and Farmar and the reacquisition of Fisher has made Kupchak look like a genius at constructing a roster.

Fisher / Farmar
Kobe / Vujacic
Odom / Walton / Ariza
Gasol / Radman
Bynum / Turiaf / Mihm

remingtonbo2001
02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Defense?....It's what wins championships.

Has Flip brainwashed the entire Piston fanbase?

JamStone
02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
How many teams have 12 guys that all play great defense?

Kobe is a great defender. Bynum has proven to be a very solid and athletic shot blocker and rebounder. Fisher, even at his age, is an above average defender. Turiaf brings toughness at the defensive end. Ariza is an athletic wing off the bench that can be used for defense. Odom and Gasol aren't great defenders, but they aren't exactly Rashard Lewis and Zach Randolph on defense either.

No, the Lakers are not a top defensive team. But, there are only like 3 or 4 of those types of teams in the league anymore anyway.

RonMexico
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Everyone is applauding DougCollins... don't forget this is the same guy who ruins TV broadcasts with Marv Albert and/or Kevin Harlan on a weekly basis.

DazedAndConfused
02-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Lakers a top defensive team??? Nope. But they aren't terrible, I believe before Bynum went down they were in the top 10 of most statistical defensive categories.

LakeShow
02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
It's not just a good 5, it's the overall balance and depth. At the very least, adequate back-ups at each position. Shooters in Farmar, Vujacic, and Radman. Athletic energy guys in Turiaf and Ariza. And, a lot of flexibility with multiple guys that can play multiple positions. I don't think it can be overstated how balanced the roster is. It can go big as with the starting line-up, or it can go small with Gasol at the 5 and Odom at the 4 and Kobe at the 3. It can run half-court sets or bring in Farmar, Vujacic, Ariza, and Turiaf and play uptempo. As seemingly poor a job Kupchak did maintaining a quality roster after Shaq was traded, the mere addition of Gasol and the developments and improvements of Bynum and Farmar and the reacquisition of Fisher has made Kupchak look like a genius at constructing a roster.

Fisher / Farmar
Kobe / Vujacic
Odom / Walton / Ariza
Gasol / Radman
Bynum / Turiaf / Mihm

Excellent analysis!

:tu

I find it hard to believe that "TRUE" Nba fans can not see that!

DazedAndConfused
02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I still think most fans are viewing the Lakers through their performances in the last 3-4 seasons. Guys like Farmar, Turiaf, Sasha, and Bynum have made explosive leaps in their games that ordinary fans probably haven't seen very much of. Of course Laker fans have seen the changes and are ecstatic, but for the casual fan who watches maybe 1-2 Laker games every couple of months they aren't likely to see this.

LakeShow
02-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I still think most fans are viewing the Lakers through their performances in the last 3-4 seasons. Guys like Farmar, Turiaf, Sasha, and Bynum have made explosive leaps in their games that ordinary fans probably haven't seen very much of. Of course Laker fans have seen the changes and are ecstatic, but for the casual fan who watches maybe 1-2 Laker games every couple of months they aren't likely to see this.

Ok, I can accept that rather than comments you see from fans who obviously don't have a clue. Just say, "you don't know" if you don't know.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 11:52 AM
How many teams have 12 guys that all play great defense?

Kobe is a great defender. Bynum has proven to be a very solid and athletic shot blocker and rebounder. Fisher, even at his age, is an above average defender. Turiaf brings toughness at the defensive end. Ariza is an athletic wing off the bench that can be used for defense. Odom and Gasol aren't great defenders, but they aren't exactly Rashard Lewis and Zach Randolph on defense either.

No, the Lakers are not a top defensive team. But, there are only like 3 or 4 of those types of teams in the league anymore anyway.

Kobe is a decent defender. He would be an awesome help defender, if they had a Bowen type player for Kobe to play off of. I don't think Bynum is that great of the defensive end. He's a slight upgrade over Amare. Fisher is good. Ariza hasn't proven much yet. Odom and Gasol are liabilities, which could be solid defenders. You can deal with liabilities on the perimeter, but in the front court, especially without a defensive stalwart holding down the fort.

Historically, how do those 3 or 4 teams fair? :toast

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Kobe is a decent defender. He would be an awesome help defender, if they had a Bowen type player for Kobe to play off of. I don't think Bynum is that great of the defensive end. He's a slight upgrade over Amare. Fisher is good. Ariza hasn't proven much yet. Odom and Gasol are liabilities, which could be solid defenders. You can deal with liabilities on the perimeter, but in the front court, especially without a defensive stalwart holding down the fort.

Historically, how do those 3 or 4 teams fair? :toast

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Kobe can play All-NBA defense if he wants to, and now that he doesn't to carry the load offensively you are going to see him do that. Do you remember Team USA over the summer? Kobe can lock down the perimeter as good as anyone in the NBA.

Bynum has improved his game defensively by leaps and bounds this year. He's a rebounding machine, one of the tops in the league, and averages around 2-3 bpg which is very good. One stat that doesn't show up is how many shots he alters due to his length. He has shown to be very capable of anchoring the defense, and now that he has a 7 foot help defender in Pau Gasol they are going to be very good together.

Fisher does well against bigger PG's like Billups but struggles against quicker guards. I'd say he's average, but it really depends on the matchup.

Ariza was born to play defense. 6'8", long wingspan, quick feet, he's got all the tools to be a great defender. He does a good job keeping up with the quickest in the league, but has trouble against wily crafty veterans. In time he will be our lockdown defender though.

Odom has never been a defensive stud, but he's decent. Same with Gasol.

Phil Jackson's teams have never been known for their elite defensive abilities, though his Bulls were very very good. It has always been elite offense and great defense. He has shown you can win that way, in fact he's got 9 rings to show for it.

JamStone
02-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Bynum has already had some stellar defensive games. And, mind you that he's getting 10 rebounds and 2 blocks a game in 29 minutes.

He's already put together quite a few game against very good offensive big men: held Tim Duncan to 2-for13, Yao Ming to 6-for-18, Amare to 2-for-10, and Eddy Curry to 2-for-8.

Now obviously, that's not all just Bynum, it's Turiaf and sometimes Kwame Brown and/or Odom and help from teammates. But, still he's better defensively than you want to give credit. He doesn't only block shots, but alters shots. And, his conditioning last summer has helped him use his size and strength better in post defense.

How do those elite defensive usually fair? Very well. But, it doesn't guarantee a championship. The three-peat Lakers were a solid defensive team, but not among the top 5 defensive teams when they won their titles. And, the Miami Heat had a couple very good defenders in Mourning and Posey but overall they were an average defensive team that had their moments. The Spurs and the Pistons were great defensive teams when they won their titles but it helped neither team in 2006.

The Lakers are not a great defensive team but they can have their moments, especially when Kobe is locked in and focused defensively. They will give plenty of teams trouble with their size and length up front. And, with guys like Ariza and Turiaf, they can put out a line-up that will be tougher and more defensive oriented. Plus when Bynum comes back, Gasol won't have to be the last line of defense. He can be a weak side help defender, shot blocker, and rebounder. The Lakers don't need great individual defenders to play great team defense. Even the 90s Bulls only had a couple great defenders in Michael, Scottie, and then Rodman for the last three. The other role players learned how to play great team defense. Paxson, Kerr, Cartright, Weddington, Longley and others weren't exactly DPOY candidates. But, they learned how to play team defense. The Lakers and their role players can do that much.

LakeShow
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0203/nba_g_bynum_580.jpg

Back to the future: Lakers might again be NBA's brightest light
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com

As Chick Hearn might have said, "I'll bet you an ice cream no team has two, young 7-footers more talented than 20-year-old Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol, who's still only 27."
There is too much focus on the short-term implications of the Los Angeles Lakers' trade for Pau Gasol, even by the man who made the deal.

Did it make the Lakers the immediate favorites in the Western Conference? Not necessarily, but that's not the point. Right now, the Lakers' mid- to long-term prospects look better than anyone else's in the NBA. And that's the real benefit, especially if they just increased the chances that Kobe Bryant will be part of their future.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak simply was trying to keep a promising season from going down the drain after Andrew Bynum injured his knee Jan. 13. With him, the Lakers looked like one of the best teams in the West. Without him, it became evident almost immediately that they would struggle to beat anyone.

"We were hesitant to do anything while we were playing so well before Andrew got hurt," Kupchak said. "But when he went down and you're looking at eight weeks without any presence in the paint, we decided to revisit it. At that point, you're not dealing with chemistry issues, you're dealing with a season that may be on the brink."

So the Lakers revived earlier trade discussions with the Memphis Grizzlies, who had been looking to move Gasol's salary. And over the course of three weeks, the teams put together a deal that sent Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton , Aaron McKie and two first-round picks to Memphis, along with the rights to Marc Gasol.

(Now, amazingly, both the Lakers and Washington Wizards can say they were better off for having Brown. Not better off with him, but Washington traded Brown for Caron Butler, and now the Lakers have Gasol. Brown netted All-Stars for two franchises. That's a pretty good accomplishment for a No. 1 draft pick bust.)

Here's why it's unlikely this trade will lead to a parade down Figueroa Street to the Staples Center come June: It isn't as if the Lakers added Gasol to the mix of a proven group. The best they managed over the past three seasons were two first-round exits from the playoffs at the hands of the Phoenix Suns. No team since 1982 has won a championship after failing to win a playoff series the year before.

The good news for L.A. is that team was the Lakers. The bad news is it was essentially the same team that won a championship in 1980. This current squad doesn't have the same experience, and now it has added a major new component to the mix in the middle of the season. We still need to see how well Gasol can adapt to being the second option behind Bryant, how Gasol and Bynum work together in the paint, how well Bynum recovers from his injury. All of this chemistry must develop without a training camp, in between games and flights.

Says Kobe about the Pau trade: "It shows a great deal of commitment from the organization. It's a great step. ... Now it's time to walk the walk."

Maybe it will click as quickly as it did for Kevin Garnett and the Boston Celtics. But Boston had a greater sense of urgency. It has to work this year or next, or the Celtics might be out of time. By the end of 2008, Garnett will be 32, Ray Allen will be 33 and Paul Pierce will be 31. They will be taking the first steps toward the downside of their careers.

The new Lakers core features Bryant (age 29), Gasol (27) and Bynum (20). And it's hard to believe Lamar Odom still is only 27. Kupchak said Odom still fits into their plans, even if Gasol's presence makes Odom -- who already has been discussed in trade talks and who is believed to have personally inquired about trade possibilities in the past -- seem expendable.

"There's no reason why this can't be a longterm thing for Lamar," Kupchak said. "He's got a year and a half left on his contract. I think he's the perfect complement to these guys. He's so unselfish; he doesn't care about scoring. He may end up being [a guy who gets] 10 points, 12 rebounds, eight to 10 assists."

Derek Fisher, 33, is the oldest among the Lakers' regulars, but 21-year-old Jordan Farmar looks increasingly ready to take over for him down the road. There is youth everywhere on the roster.

Meanwhile, the San Antonio Spurs are starting to look older and slower. The Suns might start shedding players to avoid the luxury tax, or Shawn Marion could opt out of his contract and head elsewhere. The Dallas Mavericks could add weapons, or they could just keep imploding in the playoffs. The New Orleans Hornets haven't even made the playoffs yet, much less proved they can advance. The Portland Trail Blazers are ascending rapidly, ahead of schedule, but would you rather have Brandon Roy and Greg Oden, or Bryant, Bynum and Gasol?

The Lakers are more experienced than Portland, younger than the Denver Nuggets (in terms of key players), deeper than the Utah Jazz, and better suited to playoff basketball than the Golden State Warriors.There is no team in better position to capitalize on any slips by the recent ruling triumvirate of San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix.

And since winning breeds more winning, the Lakers also would be in great shape to build on their own success.

"It could be something that we sustain, for longer than three or four years," Kupchak said.

Then again, this project could end in the summer of 2009 if Bryant opts out and signs elsewhere as a free agent. But it's hard to come up with a reason for him to leave now. He can't say management hasn't done anything to get him better players, he would be hard-pressed to find another team that could provide more surrounding talent, and there is no contract he could sign that would pay more than the Lakers can offer.

But one of the other hidden benefits of this trade is that it provides some insurance in case Bryant leaves. That might remove them from the championship discussion, but at least it wouldn't send the Lakers straight to lotteryville.

So even their worst-case scenario doesn't look so bad now. And the upside, all of a sudden, looks brighter than at any point since the last presidential campaign. They could close out the decade the same way they started it, as NBA champions.

J.A. Adande is the author of "The Best Los Angeles Sports Arguments." He joined ESPN.com as an NBA columnist in August 2007 after 10 years with the Los Angeles Times. Click here to e-mail J.A.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Looks like Pau is tailoring Andrew's jersey.

ancestron
02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Looks like Pau is tailoring Andrew's jersey.

:lol

let's see --waist ....36, inseam....

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Jamstone...Good comments, but I still think your missing part of the point.
The teams you mentioned, had at least one defensive stalwart in the post, if not 2.
The Lakers had Shaq (to an extent Horry). Your Pistons had Big Ben and Sheed.
The Spurs have Tim, Fab (undersized, but a very intellegent defender)
The Heat had Shaq, Zo and Haslem.

It's beyond statistical defense when it comes to the playoffs. It's more about the grind it out mentality. I think Kobe, Fisher and Turiaf have got it. However, I think the defensive liabilities of Gasol and Odom in the front court are too much. Bynum will be good in the future, but he still has so much expeirence to gain. I'm not saying it's beyond logic for the Lakers to contend, but it's laugable to put them ahead of teams such as the Pistons, Spurs, ect. who have used defense to win championships.
The dynamics of league have changed, so it's difficult to use the Bulls in the context of now. And we all know Jordan was something else.

Kobe ain't no Jordan. Defense is what seperates MJ from Kobe. I think Kobe matches Mike on the offensive end. But Jordan's defense was so far superior to Kobe's it's REDICULIOUS. Jordan was a better defender than Bowen. Bowen is better than Bryant. That doesn't mean Kobe isn't good, but he isn't great as DC said.

I guess we'll see where this move puts him, but I don't feel it's unreasonable to see how this trade may hurt them defensively.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
This trade will only help us defensively. More rebounds, two 7 foot shot blockers clogging the paint.

Kwame was an excellent MAN defender, but that's it. He was by no means a defensive anchor, especially with all the injuries he accrued.

JamStone
02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Robert Horry was never a defensive stalwart in the post, neither is Udonis Haslem. If Haslem and Horry and Oberto are then so is Ronny Turiaf. Bynum has already shown that he can be very good defensively in the post. Does he still have a lot to learn? Sure, but that doesn't mean he can't hold his own. Bynum has stifled Tim Duncan, Amare, and Yao already this year. He is capable of shutting down the lane. He's improved that much defensively as well as offensively. 10 rebounds, 2 blocks in 29 minutes a game. Shutting down Duncan and Amare. This can't be overstated. I hate when people use inexperience as the foundation of an argument. Sure, experience helps, but you take actual play and production over what intangible factor experience is. Experience isn't needed to know you have to be strong in the post and body up a player. Experience isn't needed to box out and rebound. Experience isn't needed to know that if you have the right opportunity, block the shot. It's such an overused point. Experience meant shit for the 2004 Pistons or Dwyane Wade in 2006.

And, I'm not sure why you would go and say how the dynamics of the league have changed so I can't use the Bulls in comparison and then you proceed to state how Jordan was better defensively than Kobe is. Jordan could hand check. Jordan had Scottie and Rodman guarding the best players on the opposing team for three and a half quarters of the game. Jordan played passing lanes. He didn't shut down players all the time. His legend has you all caught up.

Kobe may or may not be as good as Jordan defensively, but it's not a canyon of a difference. And, Kobe has never, and I mean NEVER, had the luxury of a Scottie Pippen or Dennis Rodman type of defender to help him. You put Ron Artest and Marcus Camby on the Lakers and 15 years from now, people would be calling Kobe the greatest perimeter defender of his generation too.

Medvedenko
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
The lakers prior to the Bynum and Ariza injury had the best point diff in the West. They are 3rd now....their team D is very strong.

J.T.
02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
lol the Lakers in 04 are one Derek Fisher miracle shot away from losing that series in six or games.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Again the reason these arguments are coming up is because people are viewing the Lakers as if they are the same team from the last 3-4 years. They have not seen the improvements that Laker fans have seen, and thus it's totally within the realm of possibility to see why they think LA is a poor defensive team.

The 3 outings we've had with the Spurs have been poor displays of what our team is capable of. The 1st time we played we were still trying to figure things out defensively and they blew us out (as did NOH in the same way). 2nd time we played Parker and Duncan were out. 3rd time we played Bynum, Ariza, Vlad Rad were out. When we play again next will be a good test of where both teams really are since it is towards the end of the regular season.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 04:53 PM
lol the Lakers in 04 are one Derek Fisher miracle shot away from losing that series in six or games.

I love when Spurs bring this up like Fisher hit the only miracle shot in that game. Do you not remember Duncan's ridiculous fade away from the top of the key right before that? That was a 1 in a million shot that was far more lucky than Fish's wide open look.

z0sa
02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
you're right, derek fisher's shot was an easier look than tim's.

too bad you can't shoot a shot in 0.4 seconds NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY.

JamStone
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
And too bad the timekeeper didn't stop the clock at .7 seconds when Tim's shot actually went through the hoop.

z0sa
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
that wouldve made it much easier than that 0.4 hypocrisy. I honestly think if its not LA who wins that game and some lesser market, the nba has the two teams replay the last possession.

But shaq payton malone kobe and the lakers were "destined" to win in 2004. That shot alone is the only reason I have this sort of vendetta against the Lakers -- the I personally believe the spurs were meant at least for the finals that year. You can't take anything away from the Pistons, they absolutely whipped LA's ass and we lost to LA, but still...

sribb43
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I really like Gasols game and think he will fit great in LA but watching this NJ game, Marc Jackson is calling Gasol a great defender, so just by changing jerseys he is now a great defender. :LOL

Laker and Celtic dick riding is at an all time high this season, sickening

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Alright Jamstone..We're going to have to agree to disagree.

I've stated my case as much as I can

However, I will agree that if LA had a defender like Artest, Kobe would be a much better defender. He isn't a lockdown defender. If he was, Bowen wouldn't score 20+ on his ass. He is a fantastic help defender, but he isn't provided that situation often.

I still think you're overrating Bynum. Basketball during the playoffs is a different game.
Let's see him shut Tim Duncan down during the playoffs, since he was so capable during the regular season.

Medvedenko
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Kobe has locked down players....it's proven. First Team all Defense honours proves it. You can have your opinion....I'll take actual NBA players, coaches and GM's make that call. Yes Bowen has had strong games versus the lakers...but when he sucks and scores less than 10 points other games does the other 2 on that team become a lock down defender. Oh, and playoffs are everything and until the Lakers make noise with this crew it's a wait and see.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
You're completely wrong. Kobe IS a lockdown defender when he wants to be. When he has to carry the load offensively he doesn't have the energy to go all out on defense. Bowen can because he doesn't do shit on offense except sit at the 3pt line. Bowen scored 20+ due to poor TEAM defense, not because of Kobe.

Please go watch the Team USA games from this summer to see how well Kobe can lock people down when he doesn't have to worry about carrying the load offensively. You clearly have not watched Kobe play or the Lakers play this year because your analysis is just flat out wrong. You're the same guy who said Gasol wouldn't have much of an impact on the Lakers when he scored 24 pts, knabbed 12 rebounds, and got 2 blocks tonight.

Findog
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
you're right, derek fisher's shot was an easier look than tim's.

too bad you can't shoot a shot in 0.4 seconds NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY.

Yes you can. .04 is enough time for a catch and shoot, it's not physically possible to do it in .03.

ancestron
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
It takes longer than .4 seconds to blink your eyes. Do the math.

As for the Lakers new acquisition...
Look for Kobe and Pau to do some serious damage in the west.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Dazed and Confused....Consistency is important. If Rasheed wanted to play every game, he'd be a lock in the HOF.

You are correct in the fact that LA plays poor team defense, which is the point I've been trying to make this entire time. Thank you.

I'm done listening to anyone who thinks Gasol is one of the best PF in the game.

I shouldn't expect so much from someone with a lack of maturity.

Medvedenko
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Dazed and Confused....Consistency is important. If Rasheed wanted to play every game, he'd be a lock in the HOF.

You are correct in the fact that LA plays poor team defense, which is the point I've been trying to make this entire time. Thank you.

I'm done listening to anyone who thinks Gasol is one of the best PF in the game.

Well, I'm glad you're done trying to make weak statements regarding the lakers D this year. Look at the record and look at the defensive stats...they speak for themselves.

Oh, name me 10 better PF's in the league right now that are playing today.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Gasol is one of the best PF's in the game. His stats prove it. He is in the top 10 without question. You're just a hater and everyone here knows it.

You clearly did not watch the game. Gasol was getting easy layups, dunks, floaters, and open jumpers all game. These are shots he can hit with consistency because they are practically gimmes. It's no coincidence that he and Bynum were thriving playing alongside Kobe and co.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, I'm glad you're done trying to make weak statements regarding the lakers D this year. Look at the record and look at the defensive stats...they speak for themselves.

Oh, name me 10 better PF's in the league right now that are playing today.
Hmmm...I don't know about TODAY...but in general.

Tim Duncan
Carlos Boozer
Dirk Nowitzski
Rasheed Wallace
David West
Kevin Garnett
Amare/Shawn Marion (Have your pick)
LaMarcus Aldridge (?) (TLong's got my back)
Elton Brand
Chris Bosh

I could name a few more. But to be one of the best, IMHO, you need to at least be in the top 5, not 10. Go take a look at his +/- stats. Historically, they haven't been great. DC also claimed Gasol was equally as clutch as Manu. So, I'd like to know where his Gold Medal is at, let alone an NBA championship.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 11:05 PM
LaMarcus Aldrige, Shawn Marion, and David West are NOT better players than Gasol. Man you're just hating for hating sake. Even your fellow Spurs fans are calling you out dude.

ancestron
02-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Gasol was not inspired in Memphis.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 11:12 PM
LaMarcus Aldrige, Shawn Marion, and David West are NOT better players than Gasol. Man you're just hating for hating sake. Even your fellow Spurs fans are calling you out dude.

:dramaquee Stop being a drama-QUEEN. (Maybe that's your thing)

I'm not hating Gasol, he is a good player. I think he will contribute to the Triangle offense. However, HE IS NOT ONE OF THE BEST POWER FOWARDS.
I think most would agree you need to at least be an All-Star or have claim to an award to truely be one of the best. Gasol doesn't have that.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Gasol was not inspired in Memphis.

And you would?

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Agreed. And I'd also argue that Pau is better than Rasheed. He's got better numbers, he's not a hot-head and he plays hard every night, not just when he wants to. Who would you want to coach? Rasheed or Gasol?

sribb43
02-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Gasol is one of the best PF's in the game. His stats prove it. He is in the top 10 without question. You're just a hater and everyone here knows it.

You clearly did not watch the game. Gasol was getting easy layups, dunks, floaters, and open jumpers all game. These are shots he can hit with consistency because they are practically gimmes. It's no coincidence that he and Bynum were thriving playing alongside Kobe and co.

I really like Gasols game but just bc he puts on a Lakers uniform doesnt make him one of the best PF's in the game..im sure you werent making this statement when he was playing for the Grizz last monday against the Mavs.. Gasol is really nice but people are making him out to be a KG type acquistion and really overated him when he was seen as a nice player up in Memphis. With that said a great move for the Lakers and clearly puts them in the title hunt with a heathly Bynum

here is a list of PF better than Gasol: (no particular order)

Dirk
Duncan
Boozer
Amare
Garnett
Bosh

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 11:46 PM
:dramaquee Stop being a drama-QUEEN. (Maybe that's your thing)

I'm not hating Gasol, he is a good player. I think he will contribute to the Triangle offense. However, HE IS NOT ONE OF THE BEST POWER FOWARDS.
I think most would agree you need to at least be an All-Star or have claim to an award to truely be one of the best. Gasol doesn't have that.

Pau Gasol = 2006 NBA All-Star.

Seriously dude, when was the last time you watched an NBA team other than the Spurs?

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
here is a list of PF better than Gasol: (no particular order)

Dirk
Duncan
Boozer
Amare
Garnett
Bosh

Now, asswipe, would you do us all a favor and write out the list of all the PF's who are worse than Pau Gasol? In no particular order?

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Pau Gasol = 2006 NBA All-Star.

Seriously dude, when was the last time you watched an NBA team other than the Spurs?

Excuse me...I meant All-Star in the plural form.
But hey, one all-star appearance may do it for you.
Whatever floats your boat.

Boston-Dallas. I catch games on NBA TV, but usually don't watch more than 10 minutes.

Seriously DUDE....:rolleyes

sribb43
02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Now, asswipe, would you do us all a favor and write out the list of all the PF's who are worse than Pau Gasol? In no particular order?

:rolleyes

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
you working on that list?

remingtonbo2001
02-06-2008, 12:33 AM
you working on that list?

:td lame

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:37 AM
:td lame
another intelligent riposte from a moron....

remingtonbo2001
02-06-2008, 12:40 AM
another intelligent riposte from a moron....

:td lame and unkind.

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:42 AM
:td lame and unkind.
just stfu and start making that list

remingtonbo2001
02-06-2008, 12:45 AM
just stfu and start making that list

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 01:45 AM
:downspin:

Medvedenko
02-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Hmmm...I don't know about TODAY...but in general.

Tim Duncan
Carlos Boozer
Dirk Nowitzski
Rasheed Wallace
David West
Kevin Garnett
Amare/Shawn Marion (Have your pick)
LaMarcus Aldridge (?) (TLong's got my back)
Elton Brand
Chris Bosh

I could name a few more. But to be one of the best, IMHO, you need to at least be in the top 5, not 10. Go take a look at his +/- stats. Historically, they haven't been great. DC also claimed Gasol was equally as clutch as Manu. So, I'd like to know where his Gold Medal is at, let alone an NBA championship.

These are the players that Pau is better...look at his career stats. Oh, and now on the Lakers he'll become even a better player.

dg7md
02-06-2008, 01:56 AM
If it were just Pau, then well, you might have a point. The fact is, he can average 20/10, he's that capable, pair him with Kobe, Lamar, Bynum, Fisher and a pretty strong bench and you have a possible WCF champion.

I know Spurs fans, and I know if Gasol were on the Spurs we'd suddenly be over the top, so give Laker fans their time to rejoice... they dumped Kwame for PAU GASOL. I'm still pretty envious.

Lakers aren't the Hawks or anything, they are proven with one of the greatest coaches of all time as well as one of the greatest players of all time... stack that with Pau and of course Pau will have amazing stats, especially under Phil Jackson.

z0sa
02-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Yes you can. .04 is enough time for a catch and shoot, it's not physically possible to do it in .03.

first of all, the decimal goes inbetween the 0 and 4. that shit drives me crazy, doesn't anyone know their numbers?

second, fisher grabs the ball facing the sidelines, turns, jumps, fires.

tell me that shit goes in in 0.4 . yeah, fuck that. shit shoulda been replayed ffs

remingtonbo2001
02-06-2008, 10:02 AM
These are the players that Pau is better...look at his career stats. Oh, and now on the Lakers he'll become even a better player.

I'll give you LaMarcus and David, but really you wouldn't want Rasheed. Is he that much of a problem? (serious question). I'd put Rasheed as one of the top 5 PF's in the league. However, with Rasheed, you really never know if he's going to put 100%. If I'm the Lakers I think I would take LaMarcus or David over Gasol. Although, I'm taking potential and upside in consideration.

LOOK, I'm not saying Gasol isn't a good player. If that's the picture your trying to paint, you'd be more effective in the political arena. I just believe there are better PF's than Gasol.

If I'm taking them off the list then I'll go ahead and add Dwight Howard who is listed as an F/C. :) (Yeah, that's about as big of a stretch as it gets).
I'll be waiting for DC to tell me Howard is overrated and Gasol is better. :lol

John HollinPER
11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
So how did this skunking work out?