PDA

View Full Version : PSU Vikings lead the Big Sky!

tlongII
02-03-2008, 12:42 AM
We're 6-2 after tonight's win against Montana State. We have a shot at making it to the BIG DANCE!

tlongII
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
7-2 after a road win at Northern Arizona. Could this be the year?

JMarkJohns
02-09-2008, 12:44 PM
It doesn't matter how good your record is, when you come from the Big Sky, the only chance you have of making the Tourney is to win the Conference Tournament.

That's it.

You have a good shot, but if you should make, but not win the Conference title game, then you'll be in for a bitter disappointment. I should know. I was pulling hard for NAU last season in their title-game defeat, thus ending their quest to make the NCAAs.

tlongII
02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
It doesn't matter how good your record is, when you come from the Big Sky, the only chance you have of making the Tourney is to win the Conference Tournament.

That's it.

You have a good shot, but if you should make, but not win the Conference title game, then you'll be in for a bitter disappointment. I should know. I was pulling hard for NAU last season in their title-game defeat, thus ending their quest to make the NCAAs.

True, but if you win the regular season championship you automatically host the conference tourney. PSU hosted it 4 years ago, but we choked in the semi-finals. It's still a big advantage though.

tlongII
02-15-2008, 11:55 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/sportsupdates/2008/02/vikings_the_team_to_beat_in_th.html

Vikings 'the team to beat in this league'

Idaho State coach Joe O'Brien leaned back in his seat on the Bengals bench Thursday night, a look of frustration etched on his face.

On the scoreboard, O'Brien's Bengals trailed Portland State by 19 points, but that wasn't the worst of it.

The clock also showed nine minutes remaining in the first half.

The Vikings never did let the Bengals back into the game, maintaining at least a 10-point lead the rest of the night as they eased their way to an 81-58 Big Sky Conference victory before 842 at the Stott Center.

Deonte Huff led all scoring with 20 points and Jeremiah Dominguez added 18 points and five assists as the first-place Vikings (16-8, 9-2 Big Sky) extended their winning streak to seven games.

The Vikings also opened a two-game lead over second-place Weber State, a 69-57 loser at Eastern Washington on Thursday, and a 2½-game lead over third-place Northern Arizona, a 70-67 loser at Montana State.

"They're the team to beat in this league right now," O'Brien said of the Vikings. "I'm really disappointed. I'm disappointed, because we didn't play at either end of the floor."

The Vikings always start quickly at home, and they did it again Thursday, making 10 of their first 13 shots from the field, including Kyle Coston's three-pointer that gave them a 28-9 lead with 9:08 to play in the first half.

That was the point where O'Brien sagged back in his seat, trying to figure out a way to stop the bleeding.

The Bengals (9-15, 6-5) outscored the Vikings 11-6 over the final 6:49 of the half to cut the lead to 36-23. They pulled within 10 points early in the second half, but then the Vikings went on a 24-4 run that made it 67-37 and turned the game into a rout.

"It took us about 12 minutes of basketball before we really started putting some things together," O'Brien said. "The last eight minutes of the first half, we kind of slowed them down and got it into the tempo we like to play at and made a little run of our own, but it was short-lived."

O'Brien said the problem is that the Vikings have arguably the deepest team in the conference and they attack in waves.

"Portland State has the best rotation right now," O'Brien said. "Their substitutions are continuing to play the way their starters get them playing, they shoot the ball from the perimeter as well as anybody, they've got a good low-post presence with Scott Morrison, and they've got some slashers and drivers that make them hard to guard.

"They throw a lot of different things at you and you've got to be really solid."

Dominguez and Huff did most of the damage during the 24-4 run that broke the game open, combining for 18 points, three steals and a couple of assists.

"They don't have one or two people they have to go to for points," O'Brien said. "They've got an assortment of people that can score in an assortment of ways. They're probably unique in this league with that balance.

"You try to take something away on the inside and Scott kicks it out and finds the open shooter. You stay close to the perimeter shooters and let Scott play one-on-one on the block and you pay for that.

"We had a game plan. We didn't execute it very well and consequently we looked bad and got beat bad."

Morrison finished with nine points and six rebounds, and Coston added eight points.

"That was a big win for us," Dominguez said. "If we keep playing like this, everybody getting involved, we have a great chance of winning it all."

PSU guard Justynn Hammond turned his left ankle with 4:55 to play in the second half and was on crutches after the game, leaving him doubtful for Saturday's game against Weber State.

Other than that, Vikings coach Ken Bone had few complaints.

"I thought in spurts we played extremely well," Bone said. "There were certain periods of the game where we played outstanding on both ends. I do wish we'd sustain that for longer periods of time where we don't get sloppy.

"But all in all I thought we did a nice job and we made a good team not look very good tonight, because Idaho State is better than they looked."

JMarkJohns
02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
NAU has been a bit disappointing this year. Good team, but I don't think they are living up to their potential.

degenerate_gambler
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
this conference has continually made me money in the past and this year is no different....vegas is good, very good but they can't be an expert on every conference in D1 basketball.

love the big sky..

tlongII
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
PSU clinched a tie for the Big Sky championship last night with a win over Northern Colorado. Go Viks!

degenerate_gambler
02-21-2008, 06:16 PM
PSU clinched a tie for the Big Sky championship last night with a win over Northern Colorado. Go Viks!

ye$ $ir!

tlongII
02-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I've ordered my Big Sky Conference Tournament tickets! :smokin

tlongII
03-02-2008, 03:54 PM
PSU has clinched the Big Sky with its sweep of the Montana schools Thurs and Sat. They just completely obliterated Montana 108-56. I can't wait for the tourney!

JMarkJohns
03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
It will be interesting. I'm going to be pulling for NAU to win the tourney. Maybe going in as underdogs will motivate them in a way they weren't motivated last year, but PSU will be a nearly impossible beat at home in the Big Sky Tourney.

NAU has rebounded nicely after falling to fourth at one point. There season really came down to losing at home vs. PSU. That was a devastating loss.

tlongII
03-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Got my tickets to the Big Sky Tourney in the mail on Saturday. Sec 102, Row A, Seats 1 & 2. First row right behind the PSU bench. Sweet! :smokin

tlongII
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
PSU vs NAU tonight in the Big Sky Championship for the right to go to the NCAA tournament. HUGE GAME!

JMarkJohns
03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I wish they were airing it. Do you know will it be on ESPN or something? That'd be a great game to watch.

tlongII
03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I wish they were airing it. Do you know will it be on ESPN or something? That'd be a great game to watch.

It will be on ESPN2. I'll be sitting in the 1st row of red seats directly behind the Vikings bench. Right next to the aisle. You'll be able to see me on TV.

JMarkJohns
03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Awesome. You should make a sign that references Spurstalk!!! That'd be hilarious... I'll be watching. That and the UA game tonight.

JMarkJohns
03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Congrats. NAU never really stood a chance. First ever bid... I have to ask; did you rush the floor? :)

tlongII
03-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Nah I didn't rush the floor. That was just the students. I took my dad and he doesn't get around too well. Great time though!

samikeyp
03-13-2008, 06:56 AM
:clap