PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Hollywood Heist Of Gasol Makes Lakers Look Like Champs

duncan228
02-03-2008, 12:59 AM
I didn't know where to put this! :dizzy
I decided because it was Monroe it could have its own place.
Please merge if I messed up.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mmonroe/stories/MYSA020308.nbabeatcolumn.en.2fba3e0.html

Mike Monroe: Hollywood heist of Gasol makes Lakers look like champs

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

One reason absurd trade rumors make their way onto the Internet and the airwaves: Every once in a while an absurd trade actually is made.

What was Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace thinking when he agreed to the deal that sent Pau Gasol to the Lakers? What he got back was one of the league's all-time underachieving centers, a rookie wing man who barely saw the floor in Los Angeles and a couple of future first-round draft picks that figure to be, oh, anywhere from 20th to 30th, overall, by the time Gasol helps Kobe Bryant put the Lakers back among the NBA's upper echelon.

Admit it: If someone had told you they had heard the trade rumored on a sports talk radio show Friday morning, you would have dismissed it as the ramblings of a sports talk wack-a-doo.

The one-sided nature of the deal was exceeded only by the secrecy with which it was negotiated and consummated. There were no Gasol-to-L.A. rumors, and that is truly remarkable.

I asked one of my best NBA informants if the trade made sense, on any level, for the Grizzlies.

His reply said it all: "It just shows you the incredible value of an expiring contract."

Kwame Brown, one of the worst No. 1 overall draft picks ever, is at the end of a deal that pays him $9 million this season.

That's $9 million the Grizzlies will drop from their payroll next season when they renounce their rights to him, not to mention that they were on the hook to Gasol for $47.3 million over the next three seasons.

There is talk around the league that Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley had a group of potential buyers in town last week, and that he forced Wallace's hand when it came time to accept a bad deal that would make the team's player payroll easier for potential new owners to swallow.

I'd like to think the talk is real, that there was some reason other than Wallace's temporary basketball insanity in agreeing to the trade.

How much does this deal help the Lakers?

When Andrew Bynum went down with a knee injury a couple of weeks ago, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak assured Phil Jackson he would go to work to find help in the pivot.

Jackson could not have hoped for a player as talented as Gasol.

Immediately, Gasol helps the Lakers bridge the gap that remains before Bynum returns to their lineup in about another month. Heading into their game against the Wizards today, they had lost five of their previous seven games, reeling a bit after the injury to Bynum, on his way to becoming one of the better big men in the Western Conference and a prime candidate for Most Improved Player.

Gasol won't immediately pick up the nuances of the triangle offense Jackson uses, but the Lakers will run a lot of early post isolation plays for him while he goes through on-the-job training. He's a decent passer on the wings and likes to play from the elbow, which makes him suited for the triangle.

And when Bynum returns?

Will anyone want the Lakers in a seven-game playoff series, especially after Gasol has had 37 games to acquaint himself with the complicated offense?

"Are you crazy?" my trusted informant asked.

More and more Western teams, including the Spurs, are playing "small ball" this season, surrounding one "big" with four wing men. But how do you go small against a Lakers team that can go 7-1 (Bynum), 7-0 (Gasol) and 6-10 (Lamar Odom) across the front line, especially when two of them can shoot from 15 feet out? And how many dunks will Bynum get if defenses try to double-team Gasol from the weak side with Bynum's defender?

The knock on Gasol always has been that he is what hard-nosed NBA coaches call "soft," but that grew, somewhat unfairly, from Gasol's Euro lifestyle.

Count on Bryant to force him to be tougher.

The only Laker who might have reason to be disappointed in the deal is Bynum, though I suspect his agent, David Lee, will be the one shedding tears.

Bynum will be a free agent this summer and will be looking for a maximum value contract to re-sign with the Lakers. You know Lee was piling up talking points with each game the Lakers lost while his client was on the injured list. Now Bynum's value to the Lakers has diminished a bit. They're not going to lose many more games with Gasol on the floor. Plus, Bynum no longer will be his team's most productive big man.

That is because Gasol, with Lakers' foes still having to focus first on stopping Bryant, will be an automatic 20 points per game.

Kupchak also managed to make future negotiations with Bryant, who can opt out of his contract after the 2008-09 season, a lot more cordial. He has done what Bryant accused him last summer of being incapable of doing: turning the Lakers back into a perennial title contender.

intlspurshk
02-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Does Lakers have ability to re-sign Bynum

Medvedenko
02-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Bynum will be in LA for his next contract. There's no way Buss goes and gets rid of Bynum when everyone knows that it was Jim Buss's decision to keep Bynum and not trade him over the summer. The odd man out is Odom unless he grows a pair and finds his heart along the way. I can see odom dumped for contracts and draft picks as well. He only has 2 years left anyways.

slayermin
02-03-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm glad the Lakers got better. Championships aren't supposed to be easy.

It just cracks me up at the lack of respect the Spurs get in the media. You would think think they would have learned by now. :smokin

And I don't care how many FIBA championships Gasol has won and how Bynum is the next coming of Kareem. They don't worry me at all. Our Spurs have faced more formidable opponents in the past and won.

Medvedenko
02-03-2008, 01:49 AM
They have also lost as well....that's the funny thing about the NBA. Good luck with your boys. I have tons of respect for Spurs and their fans (except the blatant homer fans). :)

slayermin
02-03-2008, 01:51 AM
They have also lost as well....that's the funny thing about the NBA. Good luck with your boys. I have tons of respect for Spurs and their fans (except the blatant homer fans). :)

But look at the way we lost. When we field a completely healthy team for the playoffs, it takes miracles to beat us.

Medvedenko
02-03-2008, 01:55 AM
But look at the way we lost. When we field a completely healthy team for the playoffs, it takes miracles to beat us.

That goes without saying. A championship team like the Spurs and like the Lakers of 00,01,02 and finals in 04 took health to win, no doubt....and of course a few lucky bounces and tons of clutch shots. :downspin:

2120vision
02-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Well, if Pau meshes well into the Laker's system and gets plenty of touches, L.A. can become a juggernaut... but that would be fantasy, unitl it happens, lets keep pretending what is going to happen and see what happens....

Man In Black
02-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Well, if Pau meshes well into the Laker's system...
See that's the beauty of the Spurs...COHESION. It's something that the Lakers can't fake even with the addition of Gasol. When it gets down to it, the Spurs newest addition is at best, a backup PG. Whereas Gasol is supposed to be a starting PF, whose job is harder? Spurs can still kick that Laker ass if everyone is healthy because, when it gets down to it, their Big 3 is battle-tested and championship proven.

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 02:16 AM
We'll find out in June I suppose, but team chemistry is overrated IMHO. This is the NBA, superior talent always wins out in the end. The Shaq&Kobe Lakers had poor team chemistry yet they managed to beat the Spurs 3-1 because they had superior talent. The Celtics this year are a completely new team from top to bottom, but they came out of the gate and straight up dominated the league for years. And contrary to popular opinion this Laker team has been together for a long time, don't let the age fool you.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-03-2008, 02:24 AM
We'll find out in June I suppose, but team chemistry is overrated IMHO. This is the NBA, superior talent always wins out in the end. The Shaq&Kobe Lakers had poor team chemistry yet they managed to beat the Spurs 3-1 because they had superior talent. The Celtics this year are a completely new team from top to bottom, but they came out of the gate and straight up dominated the league for years. And contrary to popular opinion this Laker team has been together for a long time, don't let the age fool you.

worst post of all time

chemistry is everything

The lakers had good on court chemistry, they didn't win 3 championships in this decade by playing one on one basketball

slayermin
02-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Well, if Pau meshes well into the Laker's system and gets plenty of touches, L.A. can become a juggernaut... but that would be fantasy, unitl it happens, lets keep pretending what is going to happen and see what happens....

Gasol is not a pure shooter. He might beat you one night from 15 feet but he isn't going to beat you from the outside for an entire 7 game series. He has that ugly one handed shot. I say let him shoot that all he wants from the perimeter and put a hand in his face.

His postup game is ok. I don't think it's strong enough to command a consistent double team, especially from the Spurs. And I wouldn't consider him a quick player. When he makes a move to the basket, you will see it coming a mile a way. Breaking his foot sure doesn't help matters.

He's an ok shotblocker. But he's far from a defensive juggernaut. And for a guy that's 7 feet and plays all those minutes, he struggles to grab ten boards a game. I guess with Bynum, he really doesn't have to worry about rebounding so that makes it easy for him. Overall, he's a good big man. But he has weaknesses that the Spurs know very well.

Medvedenko
02-03-2008, 02:26 AM

I disagree with you buddy....CHEMISTRY is key in the playoffs...losing together and winning together means tons. There's a reason the Lakers played well this year...it's because they have been tested the last few years. Don't underestimate team play over individual talent. Those Laker ring players were tested as well and it wasn't until they jelled and found the right pieces that they actually won. Remember when LA had 4 allstars.....Jones, Nick, Shaq and Kobe...didn't matter.

hsxvvd
02-03-2008, 02:28 AM
team chemistry is overrated
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
and that there is why you will not beat the Spurs.

Medvedenko
02-03-2008, 02:28 AM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
and that there is why you will not beat the Spurs.

I didn't know Dazed and Confused was playing against the spurs...wow.

slayermin
02-03-2008, 02:29 AM
The Shaq&Kobe Lakers had poor team chemistry yet they managed to beat the Spurs 3-1 because they had superior talent.

Hey dummy, it's 2-3 and we ain't done with Kobe yet.

m33p0
02-03-2008, 02:36 AM
... but team chemistry is overrated IMHO.

coming from a kobe-lover, yeah... i had a feeling you'd say something stupid like that.

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 02:38 AM
I disagree with you buddy....CHEMISTRY is key in the playoffs...losing together and winning together means tons. There's a reason the Lakers played well this year...it's because they have been tested the last few years. Don't underestimate team play over individual talent. Those Laker ring players were tested as well and it wasn't until they jelled and found the right pieces that they actually won. Remember when LA had 4 allstars.....Jones, Nick, Shaq and Kobe...didn't matter.

On-court chemistry matters of course, but off the court it doesn't really matter if the whole team is buddy-buddy. As long as everyone is professional and goes out there and does their job when it matters.

The problem that Gasol brings is that he is yet another weapon the Lakers have in their arsenal. Gasol shoots 50% from the field and puts up near 20/10 numbers every season. There really aren't many players in the NBA that do that. Even worse is now Gasol won't be seeing double and triple teams on a nightly basis. Kobe and Bynum draw enough attention as is, he will have a field day out there if he is left alone.

The only issue I see is will this squad have enough time to mesh together before the playoffs. We'll see.

slayermin
02-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Kobe and Bynum draw enough attention as is, he will have a field day out there if he is left alone.

Actually, he kinda snuck up on people this season. He will get more attention, if he comes back healthy. From what I have seen of him, half his game is on alley-oops and put backs.

I think Fabbs is the perfect type of player to matchup against Bynum. You keep a body on him and be physical. You don't allow him to just extend and out athlete you. And maybe that youthfulness comes out in frustration and you get into his head.

Also, Bynum is athletic but I don't think he's very coordinated. At least not like Shaq or Tim Duncan. And his footwork has come along way but it's no where it needs to be.

lefty
02-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Spurs-Lakers rivalry 2.0 ?

I'd like that !

Suns and Mavs are not really our rivals.

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 02:52 AM
That's the rub though. It's not just Gasol, it's not just Bynum, and it's not just Kobe. You have to deal with all 3 at the same time, and let's not forget Odom and Fisher (who are by no means scrubs). I think a lot of ppl here are gonna be eating crow when they see these players on the court with their talents maximized via the triangle offense.

slayermin
02-03-2008, 03:01 AM
That's the rub though. It's not just Gasol, it's not just Bynum, and it's not just Kobe. You have to deal with all 3 at the same time, and let's not forget Odom and Fisher (who are by no means scrubs). I think a lot of ppl here are gonna be eating crow when they see these players on the court with their talents maximized via the triangle offense.

What you don't get is that the Spurs matchup very well with the Lakers. Maybe 90% of the league will have problems with your trio but chances are, you will have to go through San Antonio to win a championship. We have a "Big Three" too. Maybe you've heard of them.

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 03:05 AM
I agree the Spurs-Lakers now matchup very well. Should make for a hell of a series if it happens.

colargol
02-03-2008, 03:11 AM
There was a time when two key players were enough to be a contender..bryant/O neal
Now any contender must have a "big three", Spurs, Celtics, Nuggets, Lakers...
Next ....the "Big four"....
It's harder every year..... the time of the "big five" will come!!!

slayermin
02-03-2008, 03:24 AM
There was a time when two key players were enough to be a contender..bryant/O neal
Now any contender must have a "big three", Spurs, Celtics, Nuggets, Lakers...
Next ....the "Big four"....
It's harder every year..... the time of the "big five" will come!!!

Imo, we have a "Big Four." But Bruce has to be hot from three like we know he can be.

MajicMan
02-03-2008, 03:39 AM
What you don't get is that the Spurs matchup very well with the Lakers. Maybe 90% of the league will have problems with your trio but chances are, you will have to go through San Antonio to win a championship. We have a "Big Three" too. Maybe you've heard of them.
I agree. We have had problems with the Spurs all year. Even a depleted Spurs team destroyed us. The road to the finals go through the Spurs. The rest of West is fucked though :smokin

remingtonbo2001
02-03-2008, 03:05 PM
This trade helps LA overcome PHX and maybe Dallas (depending on Damp). If you play LA physical, they tend to fold. When they had Shaq, they could play physical. But now the dynamics of their team has changed. While I think they gain in offensive versitility, they didn't gain in physical toughness from this trade. Something which I believe they are still lacking.

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I think you should worry about your own team. Parker out, Barry out, Horry playing like shit, no production from Bonner/Elson/Vaughan. Only Manu and Tim seem to know how to do anything on offense.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
:lol why is lakerfan so testy about how other people view his team? It's just like the threepeat when they were around here wondering why we didn't love them as much as they did.

wildbill2u
02-03-2008, 03:31 PM
How will we match up against their front line now, assuming that Bruce guards Kobe? Looks like a long hard row to plow.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 03:36 PM
How will we match up against their front line now, assuming that Bruce guards Kobe? Looks like a long hard row to plow.It's actually nice because we won't be forced to go small on them all the time. Oberto and Bonner will get a lot of playing time against the Lakers now. Bonner couljd be especially useful since I don't see Bynum or Gasol guarding the arc particularly well.

missmyzte
02-03-2008, 03:39 PM
This trade helps LA overcome PHX and maybe Dallas (depending on Damp). If you play LA physical, they tend to fold. When they had Shaq, they could play physical. But now the dynamics of their team has changed. While I think they gain in offensive versitility, they didn't gain in physical toughness from this trade. Something which I believe they are still lacking.
Which is why I'm hoping they sign DJ to a guaranteed contract, he's an unknown but he's playing with the hussle and heart of Turiaf and already fitting in better than Kwame ever did.

Shank
02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Spurs-Lakers rivalry 2.0 ?

I'd like that !

Suns and Mavs are not really our rivals.

What?