PDA

View Full Version : Bowen > Kobe

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-04-2005, 11:25 PM
:lol

You know you're gonna lose when you have Bowen turning in a better stat line than Kobe.

exstatic
01-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Let's put to rest the myth of Kobe as a great defender. How can you be First Team All 'D', and get played by Bruce Bowen? WTF? I think he's never played all that much D, and just doesn't have The Daddy there to clean up his messes any more.

T Park
01-04-2005, 11:31 PM
He has no business being on any defensive teams.

Hi defense is staying down in the paint and watching his player blow by him or shoot an open three.

He gave up I dont know how many threes to Barry, Bowen, and Ginobili.

Terrible.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-04-2005, 11:31 PM
No no no, you don't get it ex, Kobe was playing incredible help defense, making sure his teammates didn't get beat. That's the mark of a great defender

Solid D
01-04-2005, 11:35 PM
http://imageuploader.milbrathnet.net/uploads/OWN3D.jpg

SequSpur
01-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Kobe is one of the best players in the NBA. The Lakers just suck as a team.

T Park
01-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Kobe is one of the best players in the NBA

No doubt Sequ, but hes never been a "good, or GREAT" defender.

Hes been a very overrated defender because in the past, Shaq has been there to help.

Now he aint, and your seeing what usually goes on.

Hes also a horrible team player as well.

Solid D
01-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Kobe is one of the best players in the NBA. The Lakers just suck as a team.

Notice that Kobe and team are separated into two different sentences.

ShoogarBear
01-04-2005, 11:41 PM

You know you're gonna lose when you have Bowen turning in a better stat line than Kobe.

It's not like this hasn't happened before, c.f., Game 2 of the 2003 WC semis.

Supergirl
01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Kobe is actually a very good defender, but his defense suffers when he feels like (or decides to) take over games offensively. AI is the same way. If you have to spend all your energy scoring, you aren't going to be as strong defensively. The best players are those who can balance good D, good shot selection, and a variety of ways to make shots. Kobe is becoming just what I knew he would when he drove Shaq out - a one man show who can put on flashy shows offensively (a la AI, Vince Carter, etc) but who won't ever win a championship by himself.

SequSpur
01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Kobe has owned the Spurs for years. When the Spurs win more than 3 championships, come back and tell me that Kobe can't play defense.

Dude's team just sucks.

Solid D
01-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Sure it's temporary euphoric non-sense, but it's more post-game frivolity and more anti-Lakergod sentiment than anything else...along with "Kobe's team now" smak.

All other Laker fan Spurstalk mates, please forgive and look the other way. It's not about you.

T Park
01-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Kobe has owned the Spurs for years

No question he owned them in 2003.

WTF does the Lakers thanks to Shaq, winning championships have to do with Kobe's defense.

Good lord get a clue.

baseline bum
01-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Kobe almost always plays a free safety kind of role - he's done it against the Spurs for years and that's why we've seen so many huge games from Bowen vs. the Lakers.

Bryant is IMO the best in the league at stopping a break.

T Park
01-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Kobe is actually a very good defender, but his defense suffers when he feels like (or decides to) take over games offensively

Id like for you to show me when he plays good D, cause Ive yet to see a game yet where he has.

If his defense suffers because of his offense??

Then hes nowhere near a fantastic player.

A fantastic player, like Jordan, Barkley, Robinson, Duncan,
bring it on the defensive end, whether the offense is going or not.
BS excuse.

atlfan25
01-04-2005, 11:59 PM
here's what tha deal is. bowen is a better player than bryant in every facet of tha game. this game proves just that. bowen is better defensively and offensively than bryant. there is no comparison. you people need to take your bryant glasses off and see tha truth.

whottt
01-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Kobe is a great defender, he just stopped playing D about 3 years ago.

T Park
01-05-2005, 12:02 AM
here's what tha deal is. bowen is a better player than bryant in every facet of tha game. this game proves just that. bowen is better defensively and offensively than bryant. there is no comparison. you people need to take your bryant glasses off and see tha truth

Once again, Kobe Bryant is in the top 7 of players in the league.

But his defense is mediocre.

THats fact. Hate glasses or not.

polandprzem
01-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Last year selection to defensive first squad just pissed me off.
But that was a year ago. Now I would be pissed when he will be in second ( no way in first)
But who gives the damn. Let's talk about the spurs....

Kaster
01-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Id like for you to show me when he plays good D, cause Ive yet to see a game yet where he has.

If his defense suffers because of his offense??

Then hes nowhere near a fantastic player.

A fantastic player, like Jordan, Barkley, Robinson, Duncan,
bring it on the defensive end, whether the offense is going or not.
BS excuse.

It would help if you watched any Laker games at all. Heck, check this season, Kobe shut down Michael Redd twice, shadowing him on screens all night and making the game winning block on Redd as he went up for a dunk on a fast break.

Kaster
01-05-2005, 06:08 AM
And Kobe never plays D on Bowen. For whatever reason. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but in the end Bowen doesn't do any better than his career averages on Kobe while Kobe helps on other players' assignments. He has actually been playing very good defense this year save for today's game and a couple last week.

dcole50
01-05-2005, 06:18 AM
here's what tha deal is. bowen is a better player than bryant in every facet of tha game. this game proves just that. bowen is better defensively and offensively than bryant. there is no comparison. you people need to take your bryant glasses off and see tha truth.
that's just crazy. and for the record bowen is one of my favorite spurs and i despise kobe. that is pure nonsense, though. bowen isn't on kobe's level.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Yes Bowen is totaly locked down Kobe!
http://www.mental-pictures.com/fark/fark_kobe.jpg

Brodels
01-05-2005, 07:03 AM
It's all a matter of effort for Kobe. He can be a very good defender when he wants to be, among the best in the league. He doesn't seem to want to be very often these days.

Anyway, seeing Bruce own Kobe was the high point of my day.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-05-2005, 07:57 AM
No question he owned them in 2003.

WTF does the Lakers thanks to Shaq, winning championships have to do with Kobe's defense.

Good lord get a clue.

i thought you had put sequ on your ignored list?

Jimcs50
01-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Kobe, like MJ before him plays defense as a rover, by leaving his man and doubling the ball and playing the passing lanes. In the past, he had Shaq to back him up while he went for steals off his man. Now when he tries this, his team is giving up layups and dunks because he does not have that stud in the paint to watch his back. I rate him an average defender just like MJ was. Both are overrated.

Spurminator
01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Playing tough D on Bowen simply is not a part of many teams' game plans. They're more inclined to simply leave him open and put more pressure on Duncan/Parker/Manu.

That's why Bowen has developed his penetration game more in the past two years, because it forces someone to actually guard him. I've seen a lot of complaints about this facet of Bowen's game, but he's averaging a career high in assists (1.9) and his turnovers are the lowest they've ever been since he started playing heavy minutes.

People should take note of this when they see his shooting is down, because he's actually doing more to stimulate offense than standing in the corner and hitting or missing.

atlfan25
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
that's just crazy. and for the record bowen is one of my favorite spurs and i despise kobe. that is pure nonsense, though. bowen isn't on kobe's level.
slow ya roll, dats just fo dec-o-ration :fro :hat

Ghost Writer
01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I could not believe my eyes as Bowen outscored Kobe last night.

I guess ol' Bruce still does have some value.

Way to prove me wrong last night, Bowen.

Solid D
01-05-2005, 01:37 PM
:wow

T Park
01-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Most definately made me forget about the Sacramento game.