PDA

View Full Version : How in the hell is Kevin Garnett a top 5 MVP candidate?

TDfan2007
02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
The guy's numbers are down across the board and is playing with 2 all stars and a talented point gaurd so how is he getting all this MVP hype?

I mean when you compare his numbers to Tim's, they're basically identical and Tim has less talent around him IMO.

I just don't get why KG is getting MVP consideration for doing something Tim has been doing these last 3 years (sacrificing your numbers but leading a talented team to a great record).

Tippecanoe
02-03-2008, 08:45 PM
The guy's numbers are down across the board and is playing with 2 all stars and a talented point guard

this made my day :fro

Nikos
02-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Because he is clearly the teams best player. He is their anchor on defense, and actually is their best offensive player as well.

Celtics have the best defense in the league by far and the primary reason is Garnett. Not to mention they are the best team in basketball overall. Thank Kevin Garnett primarily for this. With good teamattes the guy looks like an MVP candidate and the stats even back it up.

Dex
02-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah, considering Rondo was a complete question mark coming into the season, I wouldn't go giving him too much credit yet. The kid has played well for his expectations.

Keep in mind that when Tim got his 2nd MVP, it was on a team that had a former superstar (David Robinson), young Tony Parker, and rookie Manu Ginobili. Granted, Tony and Manu of then are not Pierce and Allen of now, but it wasn't exactly a team of scrubs he was playing for.

He still was the unifying factor and the most valuable piece for a team that was making considerable noise and playing above their expectations. Just like the Celtics are doing now that they've got Garnett.

I just think it's funny how little credit Ray is getting for his help.

v2freak
02-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Because he is clearly the teams best player. He is their anchor on defense, and actually is their best offensive player as well.

Celtics have the best defense in the league by far and the primary reason is Garnett. Not to mention they are the best team in basketball overall. Thank Kevin Garnett primarily for this. With good teamattes the guy looks like an MVP candidate and the stats even back it up.

I disagree, I think Pierce is the most valuable player. He is Allen and Garnett rolled into one; he shoots well, rebounds, passes, plays defense, and most importantly, he is clutch. The only thing he doesn't do that Garnett and Allen do is whine excessively.

And Rondo didn't get much attention last year but I saw a lot of the Celtics games; it was pretty obvious that he'd turn into something special (much like the rest of the young Cs like Al Jefferson and Gerald Green). He reminds me of one of those players who only lifts his play when he is on a good team, a la Kareem Rush

Amuseddaysleeper
02-03-2008, 09:32 PM
the mvp is sometimes considered to be the best player on the best team

Rip-Hamilton32
02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
The only thing he doesn't do that Garnett and Allen do is whine excessively.

because hes to busy walking around with a scowl on his face when hes facing last place teams

Nikos
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I disagree, I think Pierce is the most valuable player. He is Allen and Garnett rolled into one; he shoots well, rebounds, passes, plays defense, and most importantly, he is clutch. The only thing he doesn't do that Garnett and Allen do is whine excessively.

And Rondo didn't get much attention last year but I saw a lot of the Celtics games; it was pretty obvious that he'd turn into something special (much like the rest of the young Cs like Al Jefferson and Gerald Green). He reminds me of one of those players who only lifts his play when he is on a good team, a la Kareem Rush

Pierce is not a defensive anchor and is having is worst offensive season in several years. How on earth is he a superior player to Kevin Garnett?

JamStone
02-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Just to piss you off. That's the only reason.

ludda
02-03-2008, 10:26 PM
best player on the team with the best record.

ploto
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
I do not personally like KG but even I know why he is an MVP candidate.

I find it odd that someone is griping that KG is getting MVP consideration for what Tim does when Tim has won MVP for doing exactly what KG is doing.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2008, 11:06 PM
bostons record came against weak ass teams in teh east

Medvedenko
02-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Yup, just like how the hell does Dirk win last year....oh yeah, best record. Garnett was in the lottery putting up better #'s.....so he plays with some talent guess what he's in MVP discussion. Does this make him a better player, nope. See: Steve Nash.

JamStone
02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
bostons record came against weak ass teams in teh east

You do know that Boston is 13-0 against the West right? Beating the Lakers twice, Nuggets, Jazz, Warriors, Blazers, and Rockets. It's no doubt that they still have to play some of the other tough teams like the Spurs and the Mavs and the Suns, but they still haven't lost to a Western Conference team yet. All of their losses have been to teams in the East.

SpurForLife
02-03-2008, 11:43 PM
You do know that Boston is 13-0 against the West right? Beating the Lakers twice, Nuggets, Jazz, Warriors, Blazers, and Rockets. It's no doubt that they still have to play some of the other tough teams like the Spurs and the Mavs and the Suns, but they still haven't lost to a Western Conference team yet. All of their losses have been to teams in the East.

And they just beat Dallas on last thursday. Granted it was in Beantown but it was also without KG.

JamStone
02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Oh right, I missed that game. They already beat Dallas. Good catch.

Thunder Dan
02-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I was wondering the same thing. He plays with 2 other All Stars and he has the same numbers he did when he played for the TWolves. I'm a Cavs fan, but I'm not being biased when I say that Lebron is the MVP. The Cavs suck without him and he is putting up crazy numbers. The Celtics win without KG, the Cavs can't even stay within 10 without Lebron.

SpurForLife
02-04-2008, 11:16 AM
I was wondering the same thing. He plays with 2 other All Stars and he has the same numbers he did when he played for the TWolves. I'm a Cavs fan, but I'm not being biased when I say that Lebron is the MVP. The Cavs suck without him and he is putting up crazy numbers. The Celtics win without KG, the Cavs can't even stay within 10 without Lebron.

That much I definitely agree on. Cav's have straight up looked like crap without James. What are they like 0-7 or something of that sort??

GaryJohnston
02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Because ESPN says so!

Thunder Dan
02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
That much I definitely agree on. Cav's have straight up looked like crap without James. What are they like 0-7 or something of that sort??

yea, they lost to such teams as the Bobcats and the Sonics without him, and they get on avg. 75 points a game w/o him

JamStone
02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't like the Cavs and I think LeBron deserves the MVP more than KG, but KG is easly a top 5 candidate. That said, I think Chris Paul deserves it more than anyone else right now.

remingtonbo2001
02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't like the Cavs and I think LeBron deserves the MVP more than KG, but KG is easly a top 5 candidate. That said, I think Chris Paul deserves it more than anyone else right now.

+1

Lakafan23
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Ya as of right now KG should not be in the top 5 candidates.

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. CP3
4. Steve Nash
5. Dwight Howard

Those are my top 5

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
The Celtics are a damn good team this year. Without KG they'd be ok, but he's the reason they're the class of the East. He deserves to be near the top of the MVP talk.

101A
02-04-2008, 04:12 PM
If the Lakers go on some insane winning streak....does Pau enter the discussion? Or does Kobe go to the top of the list?

JamStone
02-04-2008, 04:42 PM
You shouldn't be in the MVP discussion if you're not the best player on the team. Some might argue, but most will perceive and agree that KG is the best player on the Celtics. No one will concede that Pau is better than Kobe.

m33p0
02-04-2008, 09:26 PM
The guy's numbers are down across the board and is playing with 2 all stars and a talented point gaurd so how is he getting all this MVP hype?

I mean when you compare his numbers to Tim's, they're basically identical and Tim has less talent around him IMO.

I just don't get why KG is getting MVP consideration for doing something Tim has been doing these last 3 years (sacrificing your numbers but leading a talented team to a great record).

what the hell?

endrity
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Usually the MVP is for 'best story'. That's what KG is this year.
It's kinda like Nash's second. They gave it to him, only because the media thought the Suns would drop w/out Amare. Yet both Diaw and Tim thomas gave them nice productions, but they were not as good as SA and Dallas in the standings. It makes no sense to me to this day, but he won it because of how the media perceived the season BEFORE IT BEGAN!

genomefreak13
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Cause this time his winning with a team. Winning can change a lot of peoples mind, making them believe that Garnett is the source of all of these. The same thing happened to steve nash. He became the image of sun's success sans...Two MVP on his shoulders.