PDA

View Full Version : Spurs best current lineup to counter if meet Lakers in playoffs

Rummpd
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Start Bonner who will draw out either Gasol or Bynum defensively and is also a good rebounder and at 6'11 matches up physically with both bigs. My fear is Pop will turn to Horry who cannot hit the big shot anymore!

Rest of lineup should be (not a bad line up for rest of year when Parker returns).

Ime Ukoda (save Bowen to harass Kobe in 2nd half when he will want to win games)
Parker
Finley with quick sub by Manu
Oh and that guy named Duncan.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
What is the obsession with benching Bowen?

Obstructed_View
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Trade for someone, NOW. THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING.

Rummpd
02-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Sky is not falling but Ime has proven he can play well and brings more offense beginning of games and Oberto or Horry not playing up to expectations. There are other options but Bonner best current big to draw opponent bigs away from basket.

MaNu4Tres
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
LOL at starting Bonner. You win with Defense. Spurs prove that every year. Giants proved it tonight. Yeah Bonner on Gasol smart! And Bonner is closer to 6'9 than 6'11. He's actually listed at 6'10".

MaNu4Tres
02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Bonner will never have an important consistent role come late April, May and June as a Spur unless there's injuries.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Duncan
Horry/Elson/Oberto/Finley/Udoka
Bowen
Manu
Parker

timvp
02-03-2008, 11:03 PM
The Spurs wouldn't have to change anything. Regular rotation minus any small ball.

DazedAndConfused
02-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Haha, I thought Gasol was soft and the Lakers weren't gonna make it out of the 1st round?

You guys are hilarious.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Haha, I thought Gasol was soft and the Lakers weren't gonna make it out of the 1st round?If they meet the Spurs in the first round they won't.

Russ
02-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Start Bonner
You lost me at that point. :rolleyes

Medvedenko
02-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Look the spurs are tight, no doubt and their intagibles are great come playoff time.

But if we're healthy our front court will abuse you guys. Can't you see this. Bonner is the answer, please.....he'll be picking up fouls trying to guard Oden. Good luck. You're only hope is Parker and his speed. But we saw during the 04 how Phil can negate TP. I hope we meet in the playoffs. It's going to be legendary.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2008, 11:31 PM
But if we're healthy our front court will abuse you guys. Can't you see thisWe hear this every year from every paper champion.

Joe Schmoogins
02-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I just want to take a moment to remind everyone...

Spurs are still the Champs...

Lakers haven't done schtick...

They need to figure out how to best match up with us! :smokin

td4mvp21
02-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Look the spurs are tight, no doubt and their intagibles are great come playoff time.

But if we're healthy our front court will abuse you guys. Can't you see this. Bonner is the answer, please.....he'll be picking up fouls trying to guard Oden. Good luck. You're only hope is Parker and his speed. But we saw during the 04 how Phil can negate TP. I hope we meet in the playoffs. It's going to be legendary.

And Duncan will abuse your frontcourt. Can't you see this. Yes, your frontcourt will create mismatches, especially Odom. But, Bynum has minimal playoff experience-against a guy like Duncan that won't be pretty. Can you say foul trouble? Parker is 100 times better than he was in 03-04, everything about his game is better. He's much harder to stop. Phil will probably have to focus the whole defense on him. Phil will find our weakness and try to exploit it, he'll probably clog the paint just like every team in last year's playoff did to us. Not to mention we have Ginobili too. We have three threats vs. your four-not bad IMO. The Spurs have been beating teams with more talent for yeras. One of our strengths is team chemistry and team defense. I hope we meet in the playoffs as well, it should be a great series.

Indazone
02-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Spurs won't have to worry about the Showtime Lakers. They are the biggest choke artists in the NBA. Gasol doesnt know the triangle offense and it'll take him half the season to get it.

BonnerDynasty
02-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Duncan
Horry/Elson/Oberto/Finley/Udoka
Bowen
Manu
Parker

:(

Serious BonnerDynasty says unless Bonner can start playing SMART defense, Bonner is no good to us :(

Holt's Cat
02-04-2008, 12:33 AM

On paper the Suns' frontcourt should have abused the Spurs for the last couple of years. Unless Asol morphs into Shaq circa 2002 I'm not too worried.

m33p0
02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
spurs shouldn't be as concerned about gasol and bynum as they are about odom.

jag
02-04-2008, 01:02 AM
Trade for someone, NOW. THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING.

haha manu for artest!!!

Cry Havoc
02-04-2008, 01:09 AM
spurs shouldn't be as concerned about gasol and bynum as they are about odom.

Odom has been horribly inconsistent this year and is posting career lows across the board. Udoka is a really solid match for him on D, especially if he continues to be less effective on offense.

Duncan will shut down whoever he guards. And Oberto is a very similar player to Gasol, and should match up well with him.

Add Manu's intensity and Parker's speed, and we have a ton of mismatches for the Lakers. No one to guard Parker, Duncan, or Manu.

DazedAndConfused
02-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Both teams match up extremely well with each other. Lakers get the nod as the better offensive team, Spurs are the better defensive team. If the Lakers can close the gap enough on the defensive end they have a very good shot of beating SAS in a 7 game series.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-04-2008, 02:05 AM
I think you mean what the Laker's lineup should be to counter the Spurs.

Let's not re-live the Mavs series again.

Oberto
Duncan
Bowen
Ginobilli (Udoka?)
Parker

Laker's can do whatever there little heart desires.

genomefreak13
02-04-2008, 02:49 AM

:dizzy

Tigole Bitties
02-04-2008, 03:53 AM

Wow... Oden on the Lakers.

Legendary indeed. :toast

ludda
02-04-2008, 04:04 AM
OH NOES the lakers!!
The Gasol trade still pisses me off, but I like our chances against them (assuming a healthy Spurs that turns it up in the playoffs as always).

hsxvvd
02-04-2008, 04:08 AM
he'll be picking up fouls trying to guard Oden.

Keep dreaming.

Bonner is cabbage.

DazedAndConfused
02-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I think the problem for the Spurs throughout this entire season will continue to be offensive production. The defense has always been stellar but against good teams you HAVE to be able to put up points. You saw what DET did to you a few weeks ago. Will Parker and Barry be able to come back 100% and playing at their peak level? Nobody really knows at this point.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I think the problem for the Spurs throughout this entire season will continue to be offensive production. The defense has always been stellar but against good teams you HAVE to be able to put up points. You saw what DET did to you a few weeks ago. Will Parker and Barry be able to come back 100% and playing at their peak level? Nobody really knows at this point.
I know you weren't watching when everyone was healthy, but the offense isn't really a concern. If the Spurs aren't healthy, they aren't going to beat anyone anyway.

Man In Black
02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
When everyone was healthy they started 17-3 and kicking ass and taking names.
There isn't any real integration needed except for backup PG Damon Stoudamire. I think it will be much EASIER to get him into the flow then it will be for Pau to learn the TRI and START.

m33p0
02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Odom has been horribly inconsistent this year and is posting career lows across the board. Udoka is a really solid match for him on D, especially if he continues to be less effective on offense.

Duncan will shut down whoever he guards. And Oberto is a very similar player to Gasol, and should match up well with him.

Add Manu's intensity and Parker's speed, and we have a ton of mismatches for the Lakers. No one to guard Parker, Duncan, or Manu.
true that. but he can be horrible to guard as well when he decides to show up. nevertheless, i'm pinning my hope on ime being able to handcuff him enough to be nonexistent.

bobbybob0
02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
haha manu for artest!!!

That one works
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=25~2448~272&teams=24~24~23&te=&cash=

:p:

WalterBenitez
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
What is the obsession with benching Bowen?

To spark the bench?

m33p0
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
That one works
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=25~2448~272&teams=24~24~23&te=&cash=

:p:
hey! nobody's touching manu!

debo
02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
we saw during the 04 how Phil can negate TP.

its safe to say Tony has gotten a little bit better since then.

slayermin
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
You know Phyllis is planning to pack the paint against the Spurs like he always does. Especially now that he has two 7 footers that can block shots.

Spurs will have to hit their threes against the Lakers to win. The one advantage I see against the Lakers is Tim Duncan. Bynum and Gasol cannot check TD one on one, consistently. If the Lakers double team, the Spurs will get good looks like they always do. The reason the '04 Lakers were so tough was because Malone was handling TD by himself.

And if Brent Barry comes back healthy, I think he will kill LA like the way we hoped Hedo would in '04. I think Brent matches up very well, offensively, against the Lakers.

debo
02-04-2008, 10:54 PM
we've beaten gasol in the playoffs and we've beaten kobe in the playoff, so when we win it will be two birds with one stone really....

BradLohaus
02-04-2008, 11:45 PM
The 2008 playoffs... Big Shot's grand finale.

:smokin

DazedAndConfused
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
The way I see it......

SAS's offense is really generated from the penetration that Tony Parker is able to get. Without him probing the paint and drawing defenders toward him it is going to be very difficult for SAS to get shots for guys who cannot create for themselves (basically everyone besides TD and Manu). This is what we've been seeing ever since Parker went down with injury, poor offense from everyone outside of Duncan and Ginobli.

The key to the series is going to be Parker. How healthy will he be and how effective will his penetration be with two 7 footers roaming the paint? If he's not there 100% I don't see SAS making it out of the playoffs, no matter how great their defense is.

Louie Vega
02-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I just want to take a moment to remind everyone...

Spurs are still the Champs...

Lakers haven't done schtick...

They need to figure out how to best match up with us! :smokin

'Nuff said! Any questions ? :fro

slayermin
02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
The key to the series is going to be Parker. How healthy will he be and how effective will his penetration be with two 7 footers roaming the paint? If he's not there 100% I don't see SAS making it out of the playoffs, no matter how great their defense is.

If you are talking about halfcourt offense, imo, TD will be the one that creates the lanes for Parker and Ginobili when he passes out of double teams. Jackson usually packs the paint to eliminate penetration. It will be tough for TP and Manu to just take stuff off the dribble to the basket, consistently.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2008, 01:03 AM
If you are talking about halfcourt offense, imo, TD will be the one that creates the lanes for Parker and Ginobili when he passes out of double teams. Jackson usually packs the paint to eliminate penetration. It will be tough for TP and Manu to just take stuff off the dribble to the basket, consistently.

I think we can at least make life tough for Duncan by throwing a double team of two 7 footers at him. How has Duncan traditionally done against larger front courts?