PDA

View Full Version : Montana > Brady

monosylab1k
02-04-2008, 01:29 AM
and always will be. Brady could win 3 more, he'll always be second best now :depressed

Fillmoe
02-04-2008, 01:30 AM
he was never fucking with montana to begin with

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-04-2008, 01:31 AM
You think Brady's ankle played a role?

He was pressured, but when he had time he was uncharacteristically off, especially on the deep throws.

And being #2 behind Montana is nothing to scoff at.

Fillmoe
02-04-2008, 01:32 AM
hes number 3.... joey > steve > brady

stretch
02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
give me Favre too

spursRgay
02-04-2008, 10:19 AM
and aikman :clap

O-Factor
02-04-2008, 11:03 AM
and aikman :clap

:toast

johnsmith
02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Throw in an Elway for me.

Thunder Dan
02-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Brady Quinn > Tom Brady

and always will be for now on

slayermin
02-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Don't forget about the "Blonde Bomber." He was 4-0 in Superbowls and defeated Roger Staubach twice, head to head.

http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2007/10/29/04/Bradshaw_83679.jpg

stretch
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Don't forget about the "Blonde Bomber." He was 4-0 in Superbowls and defeated Roger Staubach twice, head to head.

http://io2.steelers.com/MediaContent/2007/10/29/04/Bradshaw_83679.jpg
No thanks, give me Brady over him any day.

slayermin
02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
No thanks, give me Brady over him any day.

Are you a Cowboy fan?

stretch
02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Are you a Cowboy fan?
I think Bradshaw was overrated. Terrible stats. And he himself admits that if it wasn't for the 4 rings due to playing on a dominat defense like the Steelers was in those days, there is no way he would have been able to sniff the HOF, and that he was very lucky to be in the position that he was.

slayermin
02-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I think Bradshaw was overrated. Terrible stats. And he himself admits that if it wasn't for the 4 rings due to playing on a dominat defense like the Steelers was in those days, there is no way he would have been able to sniff the HOF, and that he was very lucky to be in the position that he was.

Yeah, stats make the quarterback. And by the way, when Brady didn't play on a team with a dominant defense, he lost.

mardigan
02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Montana would have gotten is ass beat if his o-line had ever played like that in a SB. And I dont think he would have gotten back up

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, stats make the quarterback. And by the way, when Brady didn't play on a team with a dominant defense, he lost.

The ironic thing is that Brady had, IMO, his best group of receivers this year.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
If you have less than a second to throw the ball, great receivers don't help you as much.

02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
If you have less than a second to throw the ball, great receivers don't help you as much.

I saw that game several times this year.

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 01:29 PM

Very true.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I saw that game several times this year.

LMAO me too ... about 4 times ... then I stopped watching the games.

stretch
02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
That's another reason why I hated how people used to compare Brady's and Peyton's recievers. If I had a choice between having great recievers with little time to throw, or average recievers with all day to throw, give me all day, EVERY TIME. Brady has always had hours to sit in the pocket, unlike Peyton. Now that he has some pressure, despite having one of the most solid recieving cores we've ever seen (better than anything Manning has EVER had), it didn't help him much. Now Brady lovers can understand why Peyton had troubles despite having good recievers. It doesn't matter who is on your offense if you dont have time to get the ball to them.

Manning > Brady.

02-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I've seen Manning have that game as well.

1A - Manning

1B - Brady

Neither would be as successful without a quality OL.

johnsmith
02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I've seen Manning have that game as well.

1A - Manning

1B - Brady

Neither would be as successful without a quality OL.

Not to always throw this one out there, but Elway was extremely successful with a God awful offensive line.

Wasn't until the last three years of his career that the group came together.

TheZackAttack!
02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd easily take Elway over Brady.

peewee's lovechild
02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Bradshaw, Montana, and Aikman never lost a Super Bowl.

They are all greater than Brady.

If the Mannings win multiple SBs without losing a single one that they're in, they will be greater than Brady.

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Bradshaw, Montana, and Aikman never lost a Super Bowl.

They are all greater than Brady.

If the Mannings win multiple SBs without losing a single one that they're in, they will be greater than Brady.

If that is the criteria, then you would have to include Bart Starr and Jim Plunkett too.

mardigan
02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
If that is the criteria, then you would have to include Bart Starr too.
And Trent Dilfer

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Dilfer only won one. PW was talking multiple wins without a loss.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure if I agree with that logic. So if a QB has a bunch of playoff failures but they don't happen in the Superbowl and he wins two or more Superbowls, somehow he's a greater QB than a guy that has multiple Superbowls, fewer playoff failures in the first, second, or third rounds, but has a Superbowl loss?

johnsmith
02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure if I agree with that logic. So if a QB has a bunch of playoff failures but they don't happen in the Superbowl and he wins two or more Superbowls, somehow he's a greater QB than a guy that has multiple Superbowls, fewer playoff failures in the first, second, or third rounds, but has a Superbowl loss?

Don't try to understand it, just enjoy the fact that the Pats and Tom Brady now have credit for one of the biggest choke jobs in sports history.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't have a problem understanding it. I have a problem agreeing with it.

I don't really care that you feel the Pats choked. I don't think it was a choke. I think the Giants played better. And, I'm not a fan of either team, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I did want to see the Pats win just to finish a perfect season. Historically, I thought it would be great. But by all means, enjoy what you consider a choke.

johnsmith
02-04-2008, 02:52 PM

I don't really care that you feel the Pats choked. I don't think it was a choke. I think the Giants played better. And, I'm not a fan of either team, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I did want to see the Pats win just to finish a perfect season. Historically, I thought it would be great. But by all means, enjoy what you consider a choke.

Dude, I was joking and referring to the fact that we are just piling on the Pats and their fans.

Lighten up.

mardigan
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM

It wasnt a choke, they werent up 21 to nothing in the 4th and lose, they got outplayed the entire game. Choking is having something easy in your grasps, and blowing it. They never had that game in their grasps.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Dude, I was joking and referring to the fact that we are just piling on the Pats and their fans.

Lighten up.

And by all means, keep enjoying it.

02-04-2008, 02:58 PM
It wasnt a choke, they werent up 21 to nothing in the 4th and lose, they got outplayed the entire game. Choking is having something easy in your grasps, and blowing it. They never had that game in their grasps.

They were up for 4 for 3 minutes to play and the Giants on their 17.
They had Eli sacked, which would have made it 4th and 10 with a minute left.
They had the game ending INT go off fingertips.

The choke is debatable, but the game was definitely theirs for the taking.

peewee's lovechild
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
If that is the criteria, then you would have to include Bart Starr and Jim Plunkett too.

That's true.

Warlord23
02-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Peyton > Brady = Bradshaw.

Both Brady and Bradshaw had amazing teams, and benefited from being the right QB in the right team. Bradshaw had the Steel Curtain, and Brady has had great OL and WR support.

At least Bradshaw performed consistently well in all his Superbowls. In fact his postseason/SB performaces were better than his regular season stats. Brady had a fun time setting records in the regular season behind his formidable O-line, and withered like a lily when faced with a good pass rush. He doesn't move well enough, and clearly got rattled and started making mistakes. He had the better receivers, and couldn't take advantage of it.

I'd rank Montana, Elway, Unitas, Peyton, Favre, Bradshaw and Marino over Brady.

peewee's lovechild
02-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Both Brady and Bradshaw had amazing teams, and benefited from being the right QB in the right team. Bradshaw had the Steel Curtain, and Brady has had great OL and WR support.

At least Bradshaw performed consistently well in all his Superbowls. In fact his postseason/SB performaces were better than his regular season stats. Brady had a fun time setting records in the regular season behind his formidable O-line, and withered like a lily when faced with a good pass rush. He doesn't move well enough, and clearly got rattled and started making mistakes. He had the better receivers, and couldn't take advantage of it.

Aikman and Staubach

slayermin
02-04-2008, 04:11 PM

:tu

Damn good list.

JamStone
02-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Brady didn't always have great receivers. Troy Brown and Deion Branch are a couple of 5-9 receivers that Brady made look better than they are. Where are all those guys now? Deion Branch was sooo good in Seattle? What the hell happened to David Givens?

And, having that formidable O-line through the entire season doesn't mean shit when that O-line can't pass block in the Superbowl.

Peyton is not > than Brady. And, I wouldn't take Bradshaw over him either. All the other guys you listed I wouldn't argue with.

T Park
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Not as good as Montana? I agree.

Not as good as Aikman? I disagree.

slayermin
02-05-2008, 12:15 AM

But wouldn't you say Aikman is tougher than Brady?

I think a QB that can take a hit but still deliver is more valuable than a QB that cannot. Especially if they are a similar talent level.

Warlord23
02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Brady didn't always have great receivers. Troy Brown and Deion Branch are a couple of 5-9 receivers that Brady made look better than they are. Where are all those guys now? Deion Branch was sooo good in Seattle? What the hell happened to David Givens?

And, having that formidable O-line through the entire season doesn't mean shit when that O-line can't pass block in the Superbowl.

Peyton is not > than Brady. And, I wouldn't take Bradshaw over him either. All the other guys you listed I wouldn't argue with.

Look, Brady had enough time to adjust. The pass rush was strong all night long, and for 3 quarters he held the ball too long, didn't move the pocket, made bad passes and got knocked the F down time and again. Only in the 4th quarter did it finally occur to the "greatest QB alive" that he'd be better off throwing shorter, quicker passes.

On the other hand, Eli saw very few blitzes, but he adjusted. When they did get to him he scampered and made a great pass. The last NYG play, they blitzed and he calmly delivered to Burress. He read that defense perfectly in the clutch. While Brady hung on to the ball and as a result spent more time on his back than a hooker on dollar night. Where was all the championship experience? He folded like a cheap tent.

That isn't a top 5 QB of all time, not even close. He had the better team, couldn't adjust, screeched like a girl at his O-line and his WRs and basically took it up the pooper all the while looking like a dazed rookie. To say he's better than Bradshaw, who suffered a freaking concussion while throwing a 64-yard bomb to Swann late in the 4th quarter to beat the Cowboys is a real stretch.

Soft, overrated and exposed. Or maybe we should be blaming Belichick for not taping the Giants' signals?

JamStone
02-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Your hate is transparent. Nothing I can say will change your mind. You're entitled to your opinion. I simply disagree with it.

J.T.
02-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Brady in last nights game was Peyton in the 2005 playoffs against Pittsburgh. A great QB no doubt, but even a QB that's guaranteed to be going to Canton can look bad when they don't get protection. Brady had time to read War & Peace while he was in the pocket all year. NY didn't even give him enough time to read Green Eggs and Ham. And when he did get time, he held onto the ball too long.

Frankly, NY figured out how to beat the Patriots and left it to the Patriots defense to win the game. And they only proved that they are overrated. That ESPN dude is right, the Pats defense is so old right now that if they don't improve it fast, they really will become the ghost of the 2004 Colts.

TheSanityAnnex
02-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Frankly, NY figured out how to beat the Patriots and left it to the Patriots defense to win the game. Funny you can realize this when it's not happening to your own team.

02-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Look, Brady had enough time to adjust. The pass rush was strong all night long, and for 3 quarters he held the ball too long, didn't move the pocket, made bad passes and got knocked the F down time and again. Only in the 4th quarter did it finally occur to the "greatest QB alive" that he'd be better off throwing shorter, quicker passes.

On the other hand, Eli saw very few blitzes, but he adjusted. When they did get to him he scampered and made a great pass. The last NYG play, they blitzed and he calmly delivered to Burress. He read that defense perfectly in the clutch. While Brady hung on to the ball and as a result spent more time on his back than a hooker on dollar night. Where was all the championship experience? He folded like a cheap tent.

That isn't a top 5 QB of all time, not even close. He had the better team, couldn't adjust, screeched like a girl at his O-line and his WRs and basically took it up the pooper all the while looking like a dazed rookie. To say he's better than Bradshaw, who suffered a freaking concussion while throwing a 64-yard bomb to Swann late in the 4th quarter to beat the Cowboys is a real stretch.

Soft, overrated and exposed. Or maybe we should be blaming Belichick for not taping the Giants' signals?

I bet you there were fans who said the same thing about Joe Montana after the '85, '87 and '88 seasons.

peewee's lovechild
02-05-2008, 09:00 AM

Aikman never lost a Super Bowl.

GaryJohnston
02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Its kind of a damn shame Aikman doesn't get more credit for how good a QB he was because of the Cowboys ability to run the ball during his era.

But he did win 3 Super Bowls!

mardigan
02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Its kind of a damn shame Aikman doesn't get more credit for how good a QB he was because of the Cowboys ability to run the ball during his era.

But he did win 3 Super Bowls!
Aikman played with an all-world supporting cast.
Brady still could go down as the best qb ever imo

GaryJohnston
02-05-2008, 02:22 PM

You can make the all-world supporting cast argument, but that doesn't diminish how good of a QB Aikman was. Every Super Bowl winning QB has had a great supporting cast. And you can make the argument that Brady had the best supporting cast to win a Super Bowl ever.

In their previous 3 superbowls it was a dominating defense, exceptional coaching, clutch kicker and good QB play. This year it was the best offense in the history of the game with their offensive line play, guys like Welker, Stallworth, Watson, Maroney and Faulk...oh yeah and the guy responsible for their offenseive explosion, Randy Moss.

monoslobsond1ck
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
:cry

slayermin
02-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Not after that choke job.

mardigan
02-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Not after that choke job.
He's only 30, he could win 2 or 3 more, then it would be hard to argue.
Btw, his 0-line are the ones that pulled the choke job

slayermin
02-06-2008, 12:13 AM

No, he did choke. It's the quarterback's job to make it happen, if his name is David Carr, Alex Smith, or Tom Brady.

mardigan
02-06-2008, 12:14 AM
No, he did choke. It's the quarterback's job to make it happen, if his name is David Carr, Alex Smith, or Tom Brady.
Ok, but being sacked the most times since 03 didnt help their cause either

slayermin
02-06-2008, 12:36 AM

Which is why he isn't the greatest. He is a very average QB when you get pressure on him. Hell, Scott Mitchell and Ken O'Brien look like gods when they were upright.

And don't think he's not going to see more of the same next season. Like Madden said after Philly gave New England a scare in the regular season, a blueprint is out there now to slowdown the Patriots. The Giants had the personnel to shut them down. But other teams who don't have the personnel of the Giants can look at the blitzing scheme of Steve Spagnuolo and Jimmie Johnson and imitate their strategy. Don't forget that the NFL is a copycat league, as Peyton Manning would say.

As the "Greatest Show on Turf" took a tumble after the Pats exposed them in Superbowl XXXVI, I think the Pats offense will face the same in coming years. They will still be very good next year but their division and conference rivals will begin to build their teams with the blueprint, Madden eluded to, in mind.

O-Factor
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM

That was more a result of the Giants dominating D, than the O-Line choking. The screen was working well against it, but they stopped doing it.

Brady did miss a few and left some plays out there on the field. I put that on him. One in the second half where he could of had Moss for a big gain or maybe a touchdown.

peewee's lovechild
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Aikman never lost a Super Bowl.

samikeyp
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM

True...the QB gets all the glory but he also gets all the blame.

stretch
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't think the O-line choked. I think the Giants front 7 just played the game of their life, and were too much for any O-line EVER to handle. They looked posessed out there and showed that they were more interested in winning the title than the Patriots were. The Patriots were more interested in making history, than just winning the fuckin' game.

peewee's lovechild
02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think Brady will have another shot anytime soon.

This years team was built for this year.
They had one shot to do this.

Now, they have to retool and start over again.

They're going to lose too much talent to make another run soon. The Colts get Freeny back and the Jags are young and very talented, not to mention the Chargers and the Steelers looking good.

Fuck, even the Texans look like they'll be making a run for the playoffs next year. I just think there's too much against Brady and Co. for them to be as spectacular as they were this year. And, as spectacular as they were this year, it wasn't enough to get them the championship.

Therefore, Montana > Brady.

And, it will remain so.