PDA

View Full Version : Benos 4th game in a row w/o TO!

Slo spurs fan
01-05-2005, 04:24 AM
:spin :spin :spin

cmurek
01-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Awsome!

Great fact for the rookie!

cmurek
01-05-2005, 04:29 AM
Btw, how did play another slovenian as PG in Lakers Sasha Vujačič?

He is younger then Beno and I wonder if he did some progress. Please write some about his play if you watched a game.

timvp
01-05-2005, 04:42 AM
Vujacic reminds me of a Jason Williams with more attitude. He has a lot of talent, but he needs to get his attitude in check. He said before the draft that he didn't want to play for a team that wouldn't play him a lot of minutes. And now that he's not playing too much, he's whining on the sidelines complaining of minutes.

He has talent, but it takes a lot more than talent to succeed in the NBA.

P.S.

In Slovenia, who is more popular ... Beno or Sasha? Who has the reputation as the better player?

Thanks.

:drunk

cmurek
01-05-2005, 04:53 AM
THX timvp!

In Slovenia Beno has more reputation and simply because he played in slovenian league and people can watched him instead of Vujačič who played in Italian league!

I saw both playing, of coures a lot more Beno, i played against him too, but Sasha has one advantage of him that he is higher than Beno! His shooting skills was even better than Benos when they were both in Europe!
But I think Beno is now much better player then Shasha and he plays with his head! Sasha needs another team and another coach, Rudy dont like an european players!

Slo spurs fan
01-05-2005, 04:58 AM
Beno!

Sasha did not played much, here in Slo.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Rasho is best Slovenian player ever! Brezec and Nachbar are too very good.

Beno and Vujacic must still prove it that they are good. We will see in about 2-3 years how good they are.

The interesting game will be San Antonio - Charlotte Bobcats. Rasho vs. Brezec. That would be interesting. Rasho is Better Defensive player, and Brezec is Better Offensive player. Brezec is much better shooter than Rasho is.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2005, 05:43 AM
We saw Brezec play in Utah this summer in summer league. He cusses on the floor more than any player that I've ever seen in my life. :)

SLOVENIAN 8
01-05-2005, 06:04 AM
We saw Brezec play in Utah this summer in summer league. He cusses on the floor more than any player that I've ever seen in my life. :)

I remember that you say that before the season. We will se if he still cusses when SA play with BOBCATS. :spin

It will be interesting to see 2 Slovenian centers fighting for their teams.

whottt
01-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Over at LG.net the Lakerfans are pissed they drafted Sasha instead of Beno.

If anything it should be easier for Sasha to break out than Beno since he plays for a team with a weak starting PG.

The main problem I see with Sasha is that he doesn't have an NBA body yet while Beno does...who knows, some guys have a game that translates from Europe to the NBA and others don't...Beno's game has translated to the NBA...We'll have to wait and see on Sasha.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2005, 06:16 AM

Including me?

Kori Ellis
01-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Yes.

Slomo
01-05-2005, 07:09 AM
In English?

Kori Ellis
01-05-2005, 07:11 AM
A mix of both, but extremely loud.

ata
01-05-2005, 09:25 AM

If anything it should be easier for Sasha to break out than Beno since he plays for a team with a weak starting PG.

The main problem I see with Sasha is that he doesn't have an NBA body yet while Beno does...who knows, some guys have a game that translates from Europe to the NBA and others don't...Beno's game has translated to the NBA...We'll have to wait and see on Sasha.

That is only good for Beno. Don't forget, LA coach is Tomjanovich and he doesn't trust non-USA players. He was almost forced to play Ming and he fucked up Nachbars confidence. There is no way that european player gets minutes under Tomjanovich, he is like oposite Pop.

Very popular in Slovenia was and still is Sani Becirovic (Denver pick). He really get bad luck with his knies, but currently (after 2 years) he plays very good in Italy. He played together with Beno and was considered as better of those two. PO in Euroleague (I think it was QF) Olimpija,Slovenia (Udrih, Becirovic, Brezec, Stepania - ex Portland) against Kinder, Italy (Ginobili, Jarič and Rasho??) was really thrilling, after Kinder won 2-1 (both wins after OT).

Dario
01-05-2005, 09:55 AM
OMFG you had to remind me of that game :( :( :( Olimpija with salary that 1 man was earning in kinder was totaly beating kinder, but they somehow made it back in the game, brezec made a tought putback and kinder had 1 attack left with 2 down. They missed and the ball bounced to edge where ginobili was, he hit that 3 with buzzer. :(
As for vujacic, he was playing in better form last season than beno or bečirovič, both bečirovič and beno was injured for some time and was recovering, while vujačič was owning in italian league, i was sure he would make better impact than beno, but that only shows how important coach is for young players. As i said once, i have seen a lot of wasted talent because of stupid coaches. :depressed

Solid D
01-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Btw, how did play another slovenian as PG in Lakers Sasha Vujačič?

He is younger then Beno and I wonder if he did some progress. Please write some about his play if you watched a game.

Sasha came in early in the 4th quarter (9 min. left?) and matched up with Brent Barry playing the 2 guard. Beno was already in to start the 4th quarter and was matched up with Tierre Brown, who was running the point.

Sasha looked very thin, certainly taller than Beno, but much less muscular development in the arms and legs than Beno. They have different frames.

A little later in the game, Sasha took over bringing the ball up and entering the offense. When Mike Wilks came in for Brent Barry, Udrih moved over to match up with Sasha and vice-versa. Sasha looks more like a slasher but he did distribute the ball well enough. Medvedenko was making everything in sight, so Sasha was really just running the plays and Medvedenko was as far as the ball went. Medved. had the golden touch - I'm not sure if he missed and he even made one that didn't count because the shot clock went off during his jump.

Sasha did make a nice steal when he gambled under the Spurs' basket and left Beno and stole the ball from T-Mass. He ran the break and dished it off.

My feeling is if Vujacic builds up his strength, he could be a good player at the NBA level because he does have a nice flair to his game and he appeared to have a good shooting stroke. He wasn't much defensively, but then again...Beno was beaten a couple of times on drives by Tierre Brown, also.

Jimcs50
01-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Beno is going to be the best PG is Spurs history if we trade TP in 1-2 yrs. Everytime I see him play, he reminds me of a Stockton/KJ combo. He makes everyone better with his court savy and his court vision. He moves without the ball like a crafty veteran(Reggie) and goes backdoor better than most players in league history(Stockton, KJ) He knows when to pass and when to shoot and almost never makes poor passes. He froze the defense on breaks twice on fastbreaks when all thought he was going to pass to TD, but he knew he did not have a good percentage opportunity to hit TD so he went in for the for sure 2 pts. He has range on his 3 pt shot like Stockton did as well.

Given some more experience and PT, he will be too damn good to sit on the bench 30-32 mins a game, thus the Spurs will have to deal TP or they will be wasting a great opportunity.

Solid D
01-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Beno still has defensive weaknesses though, Jim...he loses everytime on the first-step battle with the quicker guards. The Spurs help defense covers up for some of that.

You cannot ignore Parkers' amazing skills. His speed, quickness, passing in traffic and finishing prowess. Parker's first year, he was having trouble converting once he got to the hoop but he worked hard on that and now he's Marburyesque.

TP had 10 assists and 2 points against the Lakers because the defense was giving open shots to the wing players. Credit TP for seeing that early-on.

They are both great players and have different strengths and failings. The Spurs will eventually have money decisions but for at least through 2007, the Spurs should keep them both as long as they can.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/51575415RM009_Lakers_Spurs010500_lower.jpg

Jimcs50
01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah but if he developes quicky like I think he will, the Spurs can trade TP for a great power forward and a backup PG because of TP's value.

Useruser666
01-05-2005, 11:05 AM

This is a funny quote from there.

- great job, Mike. I totally agree with everything you pointed about Sasha.

Sasha would be a stud in that Spur offense, even this season. The little he was showcased yesterday, the ball movement was ten times better and the tempo much better.

Sasha's gonna be our best draft pickup since Bryant. Book it.

Mr. Body
01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
I see Vujacic as a good pick up. The boy's only 20 and needs to develop, but he has a flair for the game and looked great during the summer leagues (he really seemed to enjoy himself). Udrih is a surprise to nearly everybody except himself and the Spurs Front Office. If they weren't Slovenian (obvious point of comparison), they wouldn't be compared, and shouldn't be. I'd love to see Sasha get more time, but his body and his defensive game need to improve. Udrih's already there, minus some good coaching.

Karl Mundt
01-05-2005, 11:50 AM
That is only good for Beno. Don't forget, LA coach is Tomjanovich and he doesn't trust non-USA players. He was almost forced to play Ming and he fucked up Nachbars confidence. There is no way that european player gets minutes under Tomjanovich, he is like oposite Pop.

Very popular in Slovenia was and still is Sani Becirovic (Denver pick). He really get bad luck with his knies, but currently (after 2 years) he plays very good in Italy. He played together with Beno and was considered as better of those two. PO in Euroleague (I think it was QF) Olimpija,Slovenia (Udrih, Becirovic, Brezec, Stepania - ex Portland) against Kinder, Italy (Ginobili, Jarič and Rasho??) was really thrilling, after Kinder won 2-1 (both wins after OT).

I have to correct you there. Stepania and Rasho were long gone to the NBA by then, and i was going to say Stepania still plays for Portland, but i see he isn't on their roster anymore. If he is healty and available the Spurs should definitely look into signing him. His price tag must be pretty low right now with the injuries and the free agency trauma he went through a year and a half ago. 2 seasons ago he was second in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes, averaging 7 in about 20 minutes of playing time. He also could be very servisable in defense and with his long arms in shot blocking. He used to have a pretty good jump shot that stretched close to the 3 point line but i don't know if he hasn't lost that during all the bulking up he needed to do. For 2-3 million a year, he would fill the void at back-up center for those 15-20 minutes very well.

Slomo
01-05-2005, 12:26 PM
A mix of both, but extremely loud. I am asking because Brezec had English lessons prior to going to the States and I was just curious if it paid off! :lol

Karl:
I agree that Stepania has talent and is a player worth noting. What is your opinion on his attitude though?

Dario
01-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Well i like stepania from season when he made last basket against cibona very much, but its obvious that he is to clumsy to do some impact on any good team in NBA. I still remember some of his not so good moments in olimpija, he once missed an open layup so hard, that the ball bounced from glass to 3 points line.:)

Ozzy
01-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for describing how our guys played. And we actually got a chance to see them in action as our national tv is showing a replay of last nights game.

Note to slo users online: Turn your tv to SLO2 immediatly.

[EDIT] Game over, replay finished.

Not the best of games, but me still so happy :elephant
NBA has finally made it back to Slovenia. With an impact :-)

duncan2k5
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah but if he developes quicky like I think he will, the Spurs can trade TP for a great power forward and a backup PG because of TP's value.
nah. i cant see TP being anywhere else. and i want beno to stay. we have two good point guards. lets leave it at that.

thispego
01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Beno is going to be the best PG is Spurs history if we trade TP in 1-2 yrs. Everytime I see him play, he reminds me of a Stockton/KJ combo. He makes everyone better with his court savy and his court vision. He moves without the ball like a crafty veteran(Reggie) and goes backdoor better than most players in league history(Stockton, KJ) He knows when to pass and when to shoot and almost never makes poor passes. He froze the defense on breaks twice on fastbreaks when all thought he was going to pass to TD, but he knew he did not have a good percentage opportunity to hit TD so he went in for the for sure 2 pts. He has range on his 3 pt shot like Stockton did as well.

Given some more experience and PT, he will be too damn good to sit on the bench 30-32 mins a game, thus the Spurs will have to deal TP or they will be wasting a great opportunity.

Jim, you always seem to make a lot of sense, but I cant, for the life of me, understand why anyone would want to trade parker before his contract expires. Parker DOES NOT need to be traded in order for Beno to get pt. Trade somebody else a couple years down the road and change up the rotation. PArker/Beno on the floor at the same time (now) = very effective.... Parker/Beno on the floor at the same time (1,2,3 years down the road) = deadly/scary/virtually unbeatable. Parker should be in SA for the next 6 years if not for the entirety of his career.

Karl Mundt
01-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I am asking because Brezec had English lessons prior to going to the States and I was just curious if it paid off! :lol

Karl:
I agree that Stepania has talent and is a player worth noting. What is your opinion on his attitude though?

I've never met him? :p

Frankly i don't know anything about his attitude, but i would guess he has a good work ethic and is willing to hustle on both ends of the court.

Frenchise player
01-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Parker won a chamionship title, he's been running one of the best NBA team over the past three years, earn the respect from his teammates, coach and oponents, eventually he played like an all-star in December.
I understand that spurs fans are pretty excited with Udrih late performances but most of the time he plays against a substitute point guar and in garbage time. When he faced Piston's defense, he wasn't able to move the ball up the court.
TP deserves more respect, Tim isn't really playing well in last 5-6 game but has anyone said he is inconsistent?

Kori Ellis
01-05-2005, 03:04 PM
On The Pop Show a few weeks ago when someone addressed the question to Pop about Udrih eventually starting ahead of Tony, Pop laughed and said no way they'd consider that because of Tony's defense and speed.

Jimcs50
01-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Jim, you always seem to make a lot of sense, but I cant, for the life of me, understand why anyone would want to trade parker before his contract expires. Parker DOES NOT need to be traded in order for Beno to get pt. Trade somebody else a couple years down the road and change up the rotation. PArker/Beno on the floor at the same time (now) = very effective.... Parker/Beno on the floor at the same time (1,2,3 years down the road) = deadly/scary/virtually unbeatable. Parker should be in SA for the next 6 years if not for the entirety of his career.

I have not given up on TP, but I really do not see how the Spurs can keep both PGs happy, they will both need to play at least 30 mins once Beno gets up to speed, to be effective, IMO.

Maybe TP can improve his shooting and they can move Manu to sm forward when bruce gets old and keep all three.

Slo spurs fan
01-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Now it is 5th! :king

Solid D
01-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Parker was a big reason the Spurs won last night. He breaks teams down and really pushes the tempo. 26 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds - Spurs' star of the game vs. the Pacers. He is hitting on a higher % of his shots (9-13 v. Indy) due to his ability to finish in traffic.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/parker_360_050106.jpg

Beno is awesome and is beginning to show real consistent play with fewer TOs. The combo of TP and Beno together provided excellent change of pace and terrific results, although TP had to defend Reggie.

Karl Mundt
01-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Actually last night was 6th game in a row.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3845/gamelog

105 minutes and 25 assists now without a turnover. I had no idea he could play like this.

Jimcs50
01-07-2005, 11:14 AM

105 minutes and 25 assists now without a turnover. I had no idea he could play like this.

I did...I have been saying this for weeks...I am telling you, this guy is going to be the next Stockton.

GrandeDavid
01-07-2005, 11:19 AM
That is a pretty damn astonishing feat, especially considering that he averages like 5 per game in around 10 minutes per game on my ESPN 2K5.

Slo spurs fan
01-07-2005, 02:29 PM

That is even better! :drunk

Kori Ellis
01-07-2005, 02:33 PM

And in the 10 games prior to those six games, he only had one turnover in each of those games.

So for 16 straight games, he hasn't made more than one turnover in each game.

Nikos
01-07-2005, 02:52 PM
I did...I have been saying this for weeks...I am telling you, this guy is going to be the next Stockton.

:lol :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
01-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Yes.

Good God.

SequSpur
01-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Drop it like its hot
Drop it like its hot