PDA

View Full Version : Best Super Bowl ever?

tlongII
02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I think it was. I was glued to the TV for the entire game. Of course I was rooting for the Giants so that probably made a difference for me. The play from Manning to Tyree was probably the greatest single play in a Super Bowl that I've ever seen as well.

mardigan
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I still think the Rams Titans game was the best SB I have ever watched, but last night was an incredible game

stretch
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree. It was a very fun SB. It may not have had tons of scoring, but it had scoring where it needed scoring (end of game).

Best SB ever IMO, and that play is hands down, the greatest SB play of all time.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-04-2008, 02:22 PM
It was brutal to watch only because of all the commercials. Slow game became even slower.

Rams/Titans was better, IMO, but it was a great finish and a good SB.

peewee's lovechild
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I think it was the greatest Super Bowl ever.
Or, it's at least tied with Super Bowl III.

SAtown
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I loved the fact that it was low scoring. Pair that with my hatred for the Pats and it definately makes it the most enjoyable Super Bowl i've ever seen.

florige
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I still think the Rams Titans game was the best SB I have ever watched, but last night was an incredible game

I agree that SB was great too. The only difference I think that made this one just a little better in my book was that the underdog won.

stretch
02-04-2008, 02:28 PM
SB III was definitely the most influential and important SB ever. But nowhere near as good of a game as this one. Or the Rams/Titans. Or Patriots/Panthers.

stretch
02-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I agree that SB was great too. The only difference I think that made this one just a little better in my book was that the underdog won.
Ditto.

Extra Stout
02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Bowl III was one-sided and pretty dull. Watch Jets run ball. Watch Namath throw screen pass. Watch Jets run ball some more. Watch Jets kick field goal. Watch Colts stagger around with deer-in-headlights look. Watch Colts turn ball over. Repeat.

johnsmith
02-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Packers Vs. Broncos 1998.

SAtown
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Super Bowl III was one-sided and pretty dull. Watch Jets run ball. Watch Namath throw screen pass. Watch Jets run ball some more. Watch Jets kick field goal.

:lmao Sounds like the present-day Jets, except not so successful

ancestron
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I am kicking myself today. I watched the game up unitl the Pats scored in the 4th with like 2 minutes left. I was drunk and pissed, and passed out in my chair. The last thing I remember is seeing Eli and the giants line up for their first offensive play after the Pats TD. I saw 1:59 on the clock, the score 14-10, and I said "yeah right, no way in hell the Giants win now."
When I came to, there was :02 on the clock and the score was 17-14 Giants.
I am officially the idiot who fell asleep during one of the greatest Super Bowl winning drives.
Oh well.

Extra Stout
02-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Some of the stat-room geeks at ESPN rated all 80 Super Bowl teams through the 2005 season, and rated the 1968 Colts well above the 1968 Jets that beat them. You can tell the geeks are youngsters who didn't even bother to watch tapes of the game and just relied on season stats. The Jets totally dominated the Colts in that game. The only reason the margin wasn't greater was that the Jets played ball-control in the second half with a lead to eat up the clock, and the Colts scored a token TD late.

mardigan
02-04-2008, 02:35 PM
The only reason people think it might be the best SB ever was the underdog effect and the hatred for the Pats. That was really an ugly game for about 50 minutes.

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Some of the stat-room geeks at ESPN rated all 80 Super Bowl teams through the 2005 season, and rated the 1968 Colts well above the 1968 Jets that beat them. You can tell the geeks are youngsters who didn't even bother to watch tapes of the game and just relied on season stats. The Jets totally dominated the Colts in that game. The only reason the margin wasn't greater was that the Jets played ball-control in the second half with a lead to eat up the clock, and the Colts scored a token TD late.

I saw that. A perfect example of how many younger fans tend to care more about individual stats then winning the game.

Spurminator
02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Definitely the best since Rams-Titans.

For the first time I can remember, I actually switched rooting interests in the middle of the game... I was sort of pulling for 19-0 but the Giants won me over in the fourth.

J.T.
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Of course I wasn't even born when Super Bowl III was played, but everything I've seen and read about it just makes me think that--while it was still an epic upset in the NFL--its magnified by the fact that no one gave the AFL any respect. The AFL was the little brother league of the NFL. And all the elements of the upset were there, no one giving the Jets a chance, the Namath guarantee, and then the game itself.

Very comparable to what we have today. The AFC has still won more Super Bowls in the last decade than the NFC, has more talented teams and is generally considered the better conference. Then you get a game like this, Plaxico makes a guarantee which, in 2008 doesn't have the same effect as Namath but certainly gave us something to talk about during Super Bowl week. And of course the Giants go out and win the game. That play which is going to be replayed for decades, is already being coined "The Catch Part 2" (which is funny considering I read Peyton's drive to put the Colts in the Super Bowl last year being coined "The Drive Part 2"). I'll go a little further and call that play "Eli's Escape and The Catch Part 2". It was amazing.

But since I was able to watch Super Bowl XLII, I consider it a bigger upset than Super Bowl III. This is something I'll always remember, SBIII is just something I can read about or watch old video of.

stretch
02-04-2008, 02:44 PM
The only reason people think it might be the best SB ever was the underdog effect and the hatred for the Pats. That was really an ugly game for about 50 minutes.
To me, it was similar to the Rams - Titans. Quiet, slow first half, full of defense, then great finish.

Louae
02-04-2008, 03:01 PM

I'd like to second that. This game was very entertaining.

Not only did the game have the huge underdog Broncos against the defending champion Packers, it had an aging Elway trying to get his first Super Bowl victory in four tries. And to add to the underdog theme, the NFC team had a 13 game winning streak over the AFC going into that game.

This game had great plays on defense, great plays on offense. And it was exciting through all four quarters. I could still watch that game again and again and I'm not a fan of either team.

peewee's lovechild
02-04-2008, 03:09 PM

I really enjoyed the defensive struggle.
I really wasn't bored at all.

It was a pretty damn good game all the way through.

stretch
02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I really enjoyed the defensive struggle.
I really wasn't bored at all.

It was a pretty damn good game all the way through.
I agree too. I don't mind a defensive struggle as long as it has a great finish. That's all that really matters. Plus, I enjoyed the Giants exposing Brady's weakness. Pressure bursts pipes. He clearly looked rattled and out of sync all game.

johnsmith
02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd like to second that. This game was very entertaining.

Not only did the game have the huge underdog Broncos against the defending champion Packers, it had an aging Elway trying to get his first Super Bowl victory in four tries. And to add to the underdog theme, the NFC team had a 13 game winning streak over the AFC going into that game.

This game had great plays on defense, great plays on offense. And it was exciting through all four quarters. I could still watch that game again and again and I'm not a fan of either team.

I'm totally biased when it comes to that game, but seriously, it was a high scoring game with some great defensive plays coming from both teams. That game had everything..............plus a Broncos win. :smokin

tlongII
02-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I actually loved the low-scoring aspect of this game. Everybody thought the Pat's offense could not be stopped. The relentless pressure by the Giants proved otherwise.

stretch
02-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I actually loved the low-scoring aspect of this game. Everybody thought the Pat's offense could not be stopped. The relentless pressure by the Giants proved otherwise.
I agree completely. Most people expected a high scoring output by the Patriots, along with the Giants making stupid, youthful mistakes (considering how young that team is for the most part) and just getting completely blown to smithereens. Instead, it was a physical, methodical chess match of who could make the most defensive plays and stops, that went down to the final minutes where an explosion of clutch plays came about by each team, with the Giants making the last and most important plays to seal the unexpected victory.

J.T.
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
"We're only gonna score 17 points? Ha ha ha!"

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 05:27 PM
"We're only gonna score 17 points? Ha ha ha!"

They didn't let him finish his quote...

"We're only gonna score 17 points? Ha ha ha!...I wish!"

:)

TheTruth
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Best football game with the best ending to a football game I have ever witnessed. Seeing my old man cry after decades of disappointment was the clincher.