PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio 1250 The Zone - On The Air

Chris Duel
02-04-2008, 04:12 PM
In case you don't already know, ESPN Radio 1250 The Zone is on the air as of today.

However, local programs (Paul Alexander 11am-1pm and Jason, Dawn and me 5-7pm) won't start until Monday February 11th. They're putting the finishing touches on our studio, electronics, etc.

Let me know what you think of ESPN Radio's national product compared to FSR. I'm curious about what the sports radio experts have to say.

Also, realizing that YOU are our target audience, I will ALWAYS be looking for ideas, suggestions, feedback, criticism of what we're doing on the air and how we can make it better.

Either post here or e-mail me directly at [email protected]

(Kori, thanks for your kind words on the other board!)

SAtown
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Are there any streaming feeds online?

T Park
02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Chris great to hear from ya.

I personally don't like Mike and Mike, I used to, but they're football 365 24/7 mentality got me sick of it.

I like Steve Czaban much much more. He talks about other sports AND funny as all hell.

Colin Cowherd is ok, although hes a ESPN robot it seems (Tim Duncan is not a superstar BS)

Tirico is solid but dull.

Stephen A Smith is a shouting attention starved child

Gamenight is good, ESPN radio's best show IMO. Jason Smith was good for a time until his whole temper tantrum over the Suns suspensions turned me off of him to JT the Brick.

Honestly I used to listen to ESPN radio CONSTANTLY when it was Dan Patrick and Tony Kornheiser, IMO Kornheiser's show was the best in radio next to Czaban's.

Your show and Paul Alexander's will be much better than anything ESPN will offer.

Can't wait to listen!! :) :tu

Taco
02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Are there any streaming feeds online?

Hook it up CD!!!

I cannot pick up the station in my office!! :pctoss

PakiDan
02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes!!!

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Chris,

If you have a toll-free number...I will call from up here in Michigan.

Chris Duel
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
SAtown & Taco - The streaming web site is not up yet, but they are working on it and I expect it to be happening soon. Will keep you posted. If you have iTunes, you can get the ESPN Radio national broadcast there for free.

TPark - thanks for the review! I understand your switching to JT The Brick. I like him a lot - got to meet and work with him when I was back at 'OAI. JT and Monkey Ashwood are tight. JT's a great guy off the air as well.

samikeyp - As soon as I know the 800-number, I'll post it in here. Would love for you to call from Michigan. Are you near Detroit? We're gonna have Woody Woodriffe from Fox-2 in Detroit frequently. Dawn and I have been at war with him since the Spurs beat the Pistons in the 2005 NBA Finals. He rocks.

SpurHonkey
02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Woody Woodriffe? Who the hell is Woody Woodriffe?

I'm all for ESPN Radio as I think the Ticket lacks quite a bit, but you're going to need more than Woody Woodriffe to compete with STSA. Thay had Manu on today......

Manu > Woody Woodriffe

Just my $0.02.

If you can land Spurs players for interviews, you'll crush the Ticket.

UtownSpur
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I am excited to hear Duel's new show because I CAN NOT STAND MIKE TAYLOR and Cowboy talk ...i mean Sports Talk San Antonio. As far as the ESPN national programing... Mike and Mike are ok....I really wish Out of Bounds with Shemon and Washington was still on the ticket as I have not been impressed at all with Dan Patrick. I turned off The Herd show after about 20 minutes...very boring and dry for my taste. I do wish Paul Alexanders show was earlier in the morning...thats a tough slot against Jim Rome. Hope Duel's show will bring in a fresh take on sports that we are not currently getting with STSA. Good Luck to ya...I will be listening.

samikeyp
02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
samikeyp - As soon as I know the 800-number, I'll post it in here. Would love for you to call from Michigan. Are you near Detroit? We're gonna have Woody Woodriffe from Fox-2 in Detroit frequently. Dawn and I have been at war with him since the Spurs beat the Pistons in the 2005 NBA Finals. He rocks.

I am in Lansing about an hour and a half.

I can be your reporter "embedded in enemy territory." :lol

KEDA
02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I listened to it most of the day today.

I like some of the hosts, like Colin Cowherd, and Mike and Mike, but I did switch it over to Romey. I will be a supporter of the local show in the afternoon as I am not a fan of Mike Taylor.

Also you get my support because my girlfriends stepdad works for KTSA and hes a pretty cool dude.

SequSpur
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
If someone reminds me I will listen to it.

Tree hugger
02-04-2008, 11:27 PM
But is Chris Duel really concerned about the environment?

T Park
02-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Chris leans a bit lib so Im sure he does :)

MoSpur
02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I liked it. Can't wait for the local shows to start.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Best of luck to you Chris!! My first commment is why only 5-7? We need more Chris Duel and the airwaves. Having the last voice in SA with some sense and non-partisanship taken away is a travesty.

I enjoy ESPN radio and enjoy starting off with Mike and Mike. I'm looking forward to your time slot. Hopefully they'll expand your time once they realize the talent that you have.

Good luck!

Sausage
02-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I've always like listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN2, but now that I can listen to them going to work and school is just awesome.

I heard Cowherd's show was good, listened yesterday and he just seemed bland, but I'll give it another shot.

Stephen A's show was okay, I can't stand him on Sportscenter, so we'll see how long I can tolerate him on the radio.

Also, does ESPN 1250 broadcast Spurs game along with WOAI? They have a few commercials talking about the Spurs and using Bill Schoening's play by play.

Can't wait to hear the local shows, ESPN 1250 looks to be great. The only show on 760 I will probably ever listen to will be Jim Rome.

To Chris Duel, my Dad is a huge fan of yours on KTSA as he listens everday, and when I told him about the switch he was a bit disapointed that you were leaving your KTSA show, but he says he will follow you to your new show on ESPN 1250.

degenerate_gambler
02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
so far, so good.

i'll tune in much more when the locals kick in.

bigzak25
02-05-2008, 10:35 AM
good luck chris!

Taco
02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
SAtown & Taco - The streaming web site is not up yet, but they are working on it and I expect it to be happening soon. Will keep you posted. If you have iTunes, you can get the ESPN Radio national broadcast there for free.
TPark - thanks for the review! I understand your switching to JT The Brick. I like him a lot - got to meet and work with him when I was back at 'OAI. JT and Monkey Ashwood are tight. JT's a great guy off the air as well.

:fro Cool Thanks!!!

Buddy Holly
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Chris, please tell whoever is in charge to put out a fairly decent website, because STSA's sucks! The layout is horrible and the content is worse.

BonnerDynasty
02-05-2008, 11:29 AM
This Herd guy makes some great points about Bobby Knight but not letting the Knight fans on the air is kind of lame.

And this guy basically just said, "fuck the small market teams - ESPN is into popularity."

I hate this lame mentality, although I understand it.

PakiDan
02-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm looking forward to the show. The only criticism I have of the Duelmeister, and I'm saying this constructively, is that you tend to waffle too much. Have an opinion and stick to it man. Not every caller makes a good point. Some callers are just plain dumb.

FromWayDowntown
02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I can't stand Colin Cowherd. When I've listened to him, he makes arguments that are completely nonsensical and seems to be hopelessly devoted to style over substance. The "Bob Knight is an overrated coach" stuff that I heard this morning was absolutely ridiculous. I can understand that someone might think Knight overrated, but Cowherd's reasons for that opinion were absurd and myopic. He's got to have an opinion -- and probably a controversial one -- to drive calls, but there's a huge difference between controversial and illogical.

S_A_Longhorn
02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks you so much for having a new Sports Talk in San Antonio. I haven't listened to 'OAI or the Ticket since they brought in the two Outsiders. I went looking for your show yesterday, so I'm glad to know now that it won't be on until next week.

Good luck Chris and I'll be listening! Feel free to have some political comments now and again...we need your voice on radio these days.

Kori Ellis
02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Woody Woodriffe? Who the hell is Woody Woodriffe?

I'm all for ESPN Radio as I think the Ticket lacks quite a bit, but you're going to need more than Woody Woodriffe to compete with STSA. Thay had Manu on today......

Manu > Woody Woodriffe

Just my $0.02.

If you can land Spurs players for interviews, you'll crush the Ticket.

:lol

He didn't say they weren't having Spurs or other interviews. He was just commenting to someone from Michigan about one of their locals - Woody Woodriffe.

Kori Ellis
02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Chris, please tell whoever is in charge to put out a fairly decent website, because STSA's sucks! The layout is horrible and the content is worse.

A lot of radio websites around the country are all similar to Ticket/STSA's site. For some reason, the radio giants think that's appealing. I'm not sure why. The layouts are horrible. I suggested a long time ago that the Ticket 760 should change some stuff about their website. For some reason, they believe it's good as is ... not user friendly or not aesthetically pleasing.

2centsworth
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I've been listening. when I get familiar local personalities talking sports I'll be hooked. I rather talk sports with friends.

maxpower
02-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I was surprised to hear the clips from the Spurs radio play-by-play. Though oai is the broadcaster, the rights belong to the NBA and since ESPN has NBA rights, I imagine much to oai's chagrin, the Zone will be able to use Spurs radio cuts per the NBA's permission.

As I have said before, Chris's show has to compete with stsa from the getgo....3pm to 6pm and get on that online stream sooner rather than later.

Condemned 2 HelLA
02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
A lot of radio websites around the country are all similar to Ticket/STSA's site. For some reason, the radio giants think that's appealing. I'm not sure why. The layouts are horrible. I suggested a long time ago that the Ticket 760 should change some stuff about their website. For some reason, they believe it's good as is ... not user friendly or not aesthetically pleasing.

Is that a ClearChannel thing?
I've noticed that a lot of music stations that are under the CC umbrella have the same kind of website template; really cookie-cutter and bland looking.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Good to have options. A little variety never killed anyone.

I'll definitely tune in. Good luck with the show.

NateL
02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Is that a ClearChannel thing?
I've noticed that a lot of music stations that are under the CC umbrella have the same kind of website template; really cookie-cutter and bland looking.

Yes, it is. CC has templates that all of the stations are required to use. They vary slightly from template to template, but otherwise they are all the same. They make exceptions for some of the really big market stations.

Pimp my Banner
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I wish Nate would hire Duel N mouse for his morning show!

mouse
02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
I wish Nate would hire Duel N mouse for his morning show!

What program director you met would allow to take a back seat or be upstaged?

Ego does not put money in the investors pockets, maybe someday Nate will see the big picture.

AlamoSpursFan
02-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Two words:

Track Smack.

That is all.

T Park
02-08-2008, 02:18 AM
alamo you prefer the Amp car, to the national guard car do ya? :)

Duncan
02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Nate was funny on the radio I hope he comes back! :tu

fatsack
02-08-2008, 05:07 PM
i tried this station yesterday.. but after 4 minutes of solid commercials, i flipped it back over to XM

pickle girl
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Monday will a day to remember in San Antonio!

T Park
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Just wondering if that website is done yet.....

Chris Duel
06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Just wondering if that website is done yet.....

Cue a cackling Peter Burns post NOW :sleep

We had an Internet meeting last week with a BMP Radio creative guru from Dallas. We were assured that the web site will be running full speed before football season.

When I asked when we should begin creating our video content for the web site (it will be heavy in video not only from show hosts, but listeners as well), I was told 30 days.

After seeing the prototype of the web site in the meeting, I think when it's here we will agree that it was worth the wait.

It will be very, very cool.

Until then, Peter Burns, just keep on talkin' shit, brutha.

We comin' :ihit

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:06 PM
We were assured that the web site will be running full speed before football season.

Well managed fellas, well managed. :rolleyes

MoSpur
06-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I too can't wait for Peter Burns to come here and say something lame about the web-site

Flava Flav
06-20-2008, 08:29 PM
fuck that cracka peter germs....

AlamoSpursFan
06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
I really hope that website has Track Smack archives so I can go back and listen to shows I miss because of work or horse shows like I could back in the KMAC Sports days...

mouse
06-10-2011, 03:09 PM
The show is on LIVE now check it out!

I. Hustle
06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Show sux. Every time I listen they are just creaming their pants over ugly chicks.

mouse
06-10-2011, 03:33 PM
That was the "old" Zone

Now they have a new program director and he kicks ass!

what other radio show you know where you can ask a question on they're facebook page and get a response in under a minute?

http://www.facebook.com/chrisduel

RGMCSE
06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Sports radio in San Antonio just flat out sucks. Both local shows on the ticket and on espn are horrible. Don Harris is a grade A fag douche too.

pickle girl
06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
You all are some real sourpusses.

rr2418
06-10-2011, 09:47 PM
1250TheZone would probably be better without Chris and Jason! :lol

Nathan Explosion
06-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Show sux. Every time I listen they are just creaming their pants over ugly chicks.

Every time I would listen they'd be talking about getting hot chicks in the studio, which would be great for a TV show, but it's a radio show. Who gives a fuck how hot the chick is if we can't see her?

I stopped listening to sports talk radio period ever since I got into podcasts. NFL Network has Rich Eisen if I want football talk, and I can find good sports podcasts if I want sports from elsewhere.

Jason Whitlock's podcast can be quite annoying at times (I get it, you like the Wire), but I can't deny he's great at getting compelling guests that tell great stories, which is awesome for long form interviews that you can't get on radio.

pkbpkb81
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM
f the zone can't understand how there still o nthe air

Chachachango
07-19-2011, 09:16 PM
People lusten to that crap :lol:lol:lol

JoeChalupa
11-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Paul Greco will be sitting in today. Tune in. 3-7pm

PakiDan
11-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Paul Greco will be sitting in today. Tune in. 3-7pm

Who is Paul Greco?

mouse
11-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Who is Paul Greco?

One of the top 5 sportscasters of all time!

PakiDan
11-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Oh... THAT Paul Greco.

rr2418
11-04-2011, 04:42 PM

He's terrible!!! He doesn't have a clear radio voice and it seems like he doesn't know what to say! Is he just a regular guy off the street that won a contest or something? Maybe that's how he got started? I thought I would never say this but........BRING BACK CHRIS AND JASON!!!!!! :lol

Better yet, I'm changing the station to 760!!! :D

pkbpkb81
11-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Did Chris and/or Jason get the shit can? If so I might give the zone a few moments of my time.

Dr. Gonzo
11-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Chris Duel was the biggest fucking douche I've ever heard on the radio. He is not funny, not insightful, not entertaining....nothing. He should wrap a belt around his neck and tighten it until he ceases to exist.

JoeChalupa
11-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Paul did a fine job.

shyne
11-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Where we're Chris and Jason? Probably taking turns licking drew pearsons taint.

PakiDan
11-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Where we're Chris and Jason? Probably taking turns licking drew pearsons taint.

In Dallas for the Drew thing... and tbh, Paul had a rough start, but once he got his flow he was money.

mouse
11-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Chris Duel is the greatest talk show host Texas has ever had.