PDA

View Full Version : Spurs New Look Rotation

Kori Ellis
01-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Spurs New Look Rotation

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=DF6F7A83-0CAE-4869-87EA-6FD02FB6ACAF

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

Quietly, without much acclaim, the San Antonio Spurs and head coach Gregg Popovich have been utilizing a different player rotation recently. For a good chunk of the season, Popovich had gone with Devin Brown as the first swingman off the bench and Malik Rose as the team's first bigman substitution.

Over the last stretch of games, that rotation has been overhauled. Coming off the bench, Brent Barry is now the first swingman and Robert Horry the first bigman. Though the change doesn't seem like a huge deal, it will totally alter the strengths of the team as they approach the midpoint of the season.

Brown and Rose are both energy players who are always in attack mode and play aggressively on both ends of the court. Those same attributes also work against them. The pair have a tendency to run hot or cold, and they're aggressive play can get the team into compromising situations.

Barry and Horry are cerebral players who are more apt to make the smart play. They both are also accomplished three-point shooters, which is a good trait in players who are to surround Tim Duncan. However, Barry and Horry don't bring the same youthful energy to the court that Brown and Rose do.

That leads to the question of if the Spurs need smarts and shooting ability or aggressiveness and athleticism coming off the bench. A strong case can be made for either, but right now it looks as if Popovich has settled on the former.

Barry has responded to the increased playing time. He's played at least 26 minutes in three out of the last four games and is averaging 11.8 points on 48.3% from the field and 42.1% from beyond the arc in that time span. Horry has been playing well for a while now. In December, he averaged 4.5 points and 3.4 rebounds, while shooting 44.2% from the floor, 41.2% from three-point land and 85.7% from the line.

Against the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night in the SBC Center, Barry and Horry were the first reserves called upon at their respective positions. In the coming games, it'll be interesting to see how Popovich employs the bench players and how those decisions change the culture of the team.

Walton Buys Off Me
01-05-2005, 07:32 AM
I completely and totally agree with what Popovich has done and in fact, have been suggesting he do just that for a while now. The only other thing I would experiment with is starting Horry next to Duncan and bringing Rasho off the bench.

boutons
01-05-2005, 07:36 AM
I bet Peter got to Pop: "Pop, we can't afford Devin next summer"

xcoriate
01-05-2005, 07:40 AM
^^ It could come down to Devin or Scola

Kori Ellis
01-05-2005, 07:46 AM
It doesn't need to come down to that. They have the MLE, plus Devin's Early Bird's Rights.

Can someone translate this .... does it say that Scola isn't sure about coming to the Spurs?

No a la NBA
Aimar Sarabia / VITORIA

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/20050104/NOTICIA189219580.html

04/01/05 03:00 h.El pívot argentino Luis Scola negó ayer que tenga ya hecho su pase a la NBA de la mano de San Antonio Spurs, tal y como señaló el Diario Olé de Argentina recogiéndolo en palabras de su representante Claudio Villanueva. El propio Luis Scola señaló que si esto fuera cierto incurrirían en una vulneración de la normativa de la competición estadounidense, algo que, según el argentino, no se ha producido.

“Respecto a esas declaraciones, yo estuve hablando con mi agente después de leerlas y me ha dicho que no salieron de él. No sólo que no está casi confirmado mi fichaje por San Antonio, sino que no hay nada. Además, por dos razones. Una es que no voy a hablar con nadie de NBA ni de ninguna liga del mundo hasta que no acabe la temporada con el TAU. La segunda porque, en el caso de que no fuera así y yo estuviera interesado en negociar con alguien de la NBA, hay infinidad de reglas que evitarían que eso pasara. No se puede negociar con ningún jugador ni ofrecer ni firmar contratos antes de julio. Además, no se sabe si va a haber NBA o si va a haber rescisión media o cuál va a ser el límite. No tengo para nada confirmado ir a la NBA, sólo sé que voy a terminar la temporada con el TAU”, insistió el poste del Baskonia.

El manager general de los Spurs, Buford, ya ha hecho público que Luis Scola es una de las prioridades de la franquicia para la próxima temporada. También Gregg Popovich, técnico del cuadro texano está por la labor tras seguir al baskonista en su exitosa participación olímpica en Grecia.

“Será una prioridad para ellos, pero eso no significa que chasqueen los dedos y tengan a los jugadores”, indicó Scola. “Hay muchas cosas que solucionar -añadió el argentino- en el caso de que se abra una negociación. Yo tengo un contrato con el TAU y para liberarme hay que resolverlo. Que el manager general diga que soy prioridad no confirma que vaya a estar en la NBA”.

Los dos millones de dólares de cláusula obligarían a los Spurs a presentar a Scola un largo y jugoso contrato para que pudiera preparar un plan de financiación de su salida. Algo similar a lo que ocurrió con Pau Gasol o con el propio Andrés Nocioni.

A Scola lo que más le ha molestado es que se vuelva a sacar el tema de la NBA cuando aún faltan meses para que acabe la temporada. Es algo que le pone nervioso y que prefiere dejar de lado hasta que llegue el momento.

“No estoy pensando en la B ni quiero pensar en la NBA cuando acabe la temporada ya veré. Cuanto más hable la gente de la NBA más se me va la cabeza del TAU y no quiero. Estamos a mitad de temporada y tenemos tres títulos en juego, que tengo ganas de ganarlos, sobre todo la Euroliga, que no la tengo y los otros dos títulos que son importantes y mi prioridad en este momento”, aseguró

gus
01-05-2005, 08:17 AM
No Kori, it doesn't say that Scola does not want to come.

That article says that he want to focus on present season, and that he can't talk with any team of NBA (including SA) due to the rules.

It is a nice forum that I've read for many time, and this is my first post.

Rgds.

Gus

Kori Ellis
01-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks Gus.

Welcome to the forum.

travis2
01-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Nice article, Kori. :)

Rummpd
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I still maintain that Rose deserves to be in there, Horry had a great game against Sac but we were getting killed on the boards. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Horry should back up Tim and Rose should back up Rasho. Also, Brown will probably still get 20 minutes lots of nights in relief of Bowen.

Still hard to complain when you are 26 and 7.

MadDoc

T Park
01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I think it should depend on matchups.

Like against Seattle, Rasho's minutes go down, Malik's go up.

Its worked in the past, why not now.

And if Malik aint playin well that night, then bring in Horry.

Or vice versa.

Rummpd
01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Agreed - just hope it is not the DOGHOUSE again for Rose.

MadDoc