PDA

View Full Version : McCain versus the Right-wing

Nbadan
02-05-2008, 12:09 AM
First Coultergeist offers to campaign on for Clinton on Faux and now Limbaugh is endorsing Clinton and Obama over McCain.....Hey demos, can McCain be that bad?

On Mr. Limbaugh's program today, he said people should not be rushing to back Mr. McCain over issues of national security. The talk host said America's direction in Iraq would not be substantially different even if Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama were elected. "They are not going to surrender the country to Islamic radicalism or the war in Iraq," Mr. Limbaugh said after mentioning the two Democratic senators by name. "They are not going to do that to themselves, despite what their base says."

"The idea that we've only got one person in this whole roster of candidates, either party, who is willing to take on the war on terror is frankly, absurd," Mr. Limbaugh said.

Mr. Limbaugh edged closer to an all-out endorsement of Mitt Romney, saying Mr. Romney is the only candidate in the Republican race right now who can satisfy what many call the so-called three legs of the conservative stool: social, fiscal, and defense conservatives.

The talk host continued to wail on Mr. McCain, repeatedly accusing him of lying and disloyalty. "John McCain has stabbed his own party in the back I can't tell you how many times," Mr. Limbaugh said.

Link (http://www.latestpolitics.com/blog/2008/02/limbaugh-defends-clinton-and-obama.html)

...1001 reasons why I hate the REPUBLICAN frontrunner....

boutons_
02-05-2008, 12:16 AM
"despite what their base says."

name and date when their base said it wants to surrender the country.

mrsmaalox
02-05-2008, 12:32 AM
"conservative stool" :lmao

AFBlue
02-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Now THAT is desperation.....I love it.

101A
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Bain and Company, the company Romney was CEO of, is a major stockholder in.......

Clear Channel Communications

Nothing to see here.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Does Rush truly represent the conservative voice? His rants don't seem to have had any impact and McCain.

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Does Rush truly represent the conservative voice? His rants don't seem to have had any impact and McCain.

Sure, he represents the so called "movement conservatives". Those shrill extremists have been in control of the Republican party for the past 14 years or so and the miserable debacle that is the Bush administration has discredited them to the extent that they have little if any say in their own party's nominating process.

They distance themselves from Bush now with critiques of his immigration views and the spending that has taken place during the Bush years but they were quite content to let the deficits soar (Cheney saying deficits don't matter). You see the patron saint of these extremists, Ronald Reagan also was one to cut taxes and increase the deficit.

Rush accuses liberals of only doing things because they want the power. Pot meet the kettle. Now that movement conservatism is thoroughly discredited they are having to redefine what they are in the eyes of the swing voters. By swing voters, I allude to the non-hyper partiisans who vote for "the man" and not the party that change from election to election.

Non-movement Republicans are voting for McCain because they think he has the best chance for their party to prevail in November, at least at the executive level. They may disagree with him on some issues, they may even disagree with the talk show blowhards on some issues but they too want the power of the presidency.

I for one am enjoying this while munching on my popcorn. Coulter and Hannity and all the other far right loons are being marginalized to the extremists that they are.

xrayzebra
02-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I love all you dimm-o-craps commenting on Rush and the
Republican party. Like you would have any love for either.

I mean you are the party of the Clinton's, right, oopps, I mean
left.

But it gives my old heart a boost to see you with your undies
in a wad over Rush. But he doesn't have any clout.....yeah
baby! But he sure get's all of you in a tither.

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
It's not only the talk show cranks that are upset with McCain (http://www.conservativesbetrayed.com/gw3/articles-latestnews/articles.php?CMSArticleID=3800&CMSCategoryID=19)

Richard A. Viguerie pioneered ideological and political direct mail and has been called “the funding father of the conservative movement” for his role in helping build dozens of conservative organizations.

Open up the GOP Race

By Richard A. Viguerie

Open it up!

The discombobulated state of the Republican presidential campaign means that it is still possible for someone to jump into the race. Such a candidate could serve as a kingmaker at the Republican convention in September, or even – yes, it’s possible – could become the party’s nominee.

Currently, Republicans are split among the various candidates; most conservatives are undecided, or ambivalent, or support one candidate or another because the alternatives are worse. Having been betrayed by a Republican establishment – by a president and members of Congress who pretended to be conservatives in order to get elected – grassroots conservatives are justifiably wary of the present contenders for leadership. All the remaining GOP presidential candidates have good qualities; all are flawed.

McCain has Reagan’s toughness, is a Vietnam War hero, supports a strong military, and opposes pork-barrel spending, but sides with liberals on immigration, freedom of speech, taxes, environmental extremism, and other important issues.
Huckabee is a Reagan-style populist and a conservative on social issues, but is sympathetic to Goreism, and he fought conservatives on taxes, spending, immigration, and other issues when he was governor.
Romney has adopted a mostly-Reaganite platform, but he is suspect because he converted to conservatism only after serving as governor, and, besides, many conservatives see him as a probable loser in November.
Ron Paul is the real straight-talker in the race, the one who stays truest to the libertarian beliefs that are, as Reagan said, “the heart of conservatism.” He is the one candidate who doesn’t confuse a strong defense with the failed policy of nation-building. But most conservatives want a powerful U.S. presence in world affairs and will never support Paul’s defense and foreign policy. In any event, Paul’s chance of getting elected, or even nominated, is infinitesimal.

No one stands credibly on the three-legged stool that makes up the conservative movement and the heart of a successful Republican campaign – the coalition of economic conservatives, national security conservatives, and social conservatives.

Even Rush Limbaugh has raised the possibility that he may not support the Republican nominee this year. The nomination of McCain or Huckabee, he said, would destroy the party as we know it.

But what if the Republicans end up with an open convention?

It’s true that open conventions, common in times past, are rare nowadays. The last major-party conventions at which more than two candidates had sizeable blocs of delegates were 1952 for the Democrats and 1948 for the Republicans, and the 1976 GOP convention was the last time that either party’s nominee was not determined in advance. But with four candidates and with none of them acceptable to a strong majority of Republicans or conservatives, it’s possible that no one will have sown up the nomination before the convention. If that happens, anyone could theoretically win – or, failing an outright win, he or she could exert great influence.

But who?

Former Virginia Governor and Senator George Allen was considered a frontrunner for this year’s GOP nomination before he lost his reelection campaign in 2006. But his loss can be chalked up to his mishandling of charges of racism (would he call Obama, Maccaca?) :lol and to voter resentment toward the Iraq War, and to the fact that Democrats, desperate to win the Senate, swallowed hard and nominated a former Reagan Administration official to run against him. If losing one’s previous statewide campaign disqualified a person from being president, neither Lincoln nor Nixon nor the elder Bush would have won.

Or, if the goal of a last-minute conservative candidacy is to rally the movement and build for the future, Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma could get into the race. Coburn could be the Barry Goldwater of his generation – someone who plants the seeds for a future flowering of conservatism, as Goldwater planted the seeds of the Reagan Revolution.

Other possibilities for a serious conservative candidate include Senator Jim DeMint or Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina.

I’m urging conservatives across this country to start a national discussion, and to e-mail me at [email protected]
with their thoughts on these questions: Do you think opening up the race is a good idea? Do you have any other suggestions for candidates? Could someone come in off the sidelines, change the direction of the momentum, get the fans back into game, and lead us to victory?

If enough conservatives think and talk about an open convention and a new candidate, perhaps someone will seize the opportunity, unprecedented in modern times, that is presented by the current chaos – the opportunity to help rebuild the conservative movement and change the course of history.

Who could come in off the sidelines and save the day? Let me know what YOU think.

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I wonder if Viguerie realizes that the four men he advances as potential true conservatives are all from the old Confederacy? If the GOP continues to let the far right extremists control their party, they will become a regional party only able to win in the Dixie and not much anywhere else.

Since 1972 the old South has been a powerful bloc within the Electoral College when lumped with Rocky Mountain states as well as the plains states. The battleground states for the most part have been within the Midwest which swung close elections one way or the other. The midwest is truning bluer by the day and some of the Rocky Mountain states are showing signs of becoming purple (Colorado, New Mexico, Montana and Arizona). If the GOP wants to have a shot at anything other than the old South, the strip of plains states from Kansas to North Dakota, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming, they need to "compromise". The far righties refuse to compromise believing they can sell their brand to people. Well after 8 years of Bush, a big part of America ain't buying it no matter how much lipstick they put on that pig.

xrayzebra
02-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I wonder if Viguerie realizes that the four men he advances as potential true conservatives are all from the old Confederacy? If the GOP continues to let the far right extremists control their party, they will become a regional party only able to win in the Dixie and not much anywhere else.

Since 1972 the old South has been a powerful bloc within the Electoral College when lumped with Rocky Mountain states as well as the plains states. The battleground states for the most part have been within the Midwest which swung close elections one way or the other. The midwest is truning bluer by the day and some of the Rocky Mountain states are showing signs of becoming purple (Colorado, New Mexico, Montana and Arizona). If the GOP wants to have a shot at anything other than the old South, the strip of plains states from Kansas to North Dakota, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming, they need to "compromise". The far righties refuse to compromise believing they can sell their brand to people. Well after 8 years of Bush, a big part of America ain't buying it no matter how much lipstick they put on that pig.

I love it when you call Conservatives, right wing
extremists. But refuse to call the left wing extremist
what they are in the dimm-o-crapic party.

And speaking of pigs, hello.....never mind I wont go
there.

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 11:25 AM
They are extremists.

Bob Dole, John McCain are conservative guys. They aren't conservative enough for the extremists though....

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I love all you dimm-o-craps commenting on Rush and the
Republican party. Like you would have any love for either.

I mean you are the party of the Clinton's, right, oopps, I mean
left.

But it gives my old heart a boost to see you with your undies
in a wad over Rush. But he doesn't have any clout.....yeah
baby! But he sure get's all of you in a tither.

I've listened to Rush Limpballs and his love for his beloved repugnant party for years. He is the right-wing wacko, along with Sean insHannity of the repugnants. The repugnants have their own nut jobs....just like the Democrats do.

xrayzebra
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I've listened to Rush Limpballs and his love for his beloved repugnant party for years. He is the right-wing wacko, along with Sean insHannity of the repugnants. The repugnants have their own nut jobs....just like the Democrats do.

I know Joe. It is really pathetic, isn't it. About 20
million people listen to that Wacko. And he is really a
nobody, no one really pays attention to him and he is of
no consequence. Damn, wished I had his wacko ways,
and made his money. But you don't mind if I listen to
him, do you. If you do, just let me know. You are
such an influential person I'm sure it will have some
influence on me or someone or something. I think.

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Mega Dittos Ray........ :lol

It's folks like you that give him the money he has. Why not step and pay for a subscription to the Limbaugh Letter for one of our deserving troops?

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM

When did I say I minded if you listen to him. I EVEN LISTEN TO HIM.

My point is that his ranting about McCain isn't working. McCain WILL be the Repulican nominee and there is nothing that Rush or insHannity can do about it.
Where did I say I was so influential? Damn dude.

xrayzebra
02-05-2008, 11:52 AM
When did I say I minded if you listen to him. I EVEN LISTEN TO HIM.

My point is that his ranting about McCain isn't working. McCain WILL be the Repulican nominee and there is nothing that Rush or insHannity can do about it.
Where did I say I was so influential? Damn dude.

Damn Joe, the fat lady hasn't sung yet? Don't go counting
those chickens until the eggs have hatched.

Remember 1948, Truman lost, so they headline said,
except he didn't. I think it was 1948.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z273/xrayzebra/dewey_defeats_truman1.jpg

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
You are right.. it was 1948...this is 2008!! Stop living in the past! The time is NOW!!!

BARACK THE VOTE!!!!

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
God bless Harry Truman...........still givin' them Hell.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 12:22 PM
God Bless America!!!

George Gervin's Afro
02-05-2008, 12:56 PM

since hush said he was backing clinton are you?

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
20 million "hearers" doesn't equal 20 million listeners.

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 01:59 PM

And there is limited choice in what to listen to if you don't play a CD or have Sirius/XM. I was in west Texas once and did a scan with my radio on the AM side and no less than five stations were playing Rush. At least one of them could have played friggin' Billo just to break the monopoly....errr......monotony.

George Gervin's Afro
02-05-2008, 01:59 PM

don't question hush.. he always speaks the truth.l. :rolleyes

xrayzebra
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
since hush said he was backing clinton are you?

Like I said in another post to ChumpDumper:

"Write in for Alfred Neuman, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse
or ChumpDumper."

I can add your name to the list of prospects. I now ask
you:

Will you accept if nominated?

xrayzebra
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
don't question hush.. he always speaks the truth.l. :rolleyes

No, he always speaks his mind. But mostly just quotes
others. He makes his money giving people his opinion
on what others may publish or say. No sin in that.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 03:30 PM
So you guys wouldn't vote for McCain under any circumstances?

101A
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
So you guys wouldn't vote for McCain under any circumstances?Who's "you guys"?

XRay?

I'm voting for McCain

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Who's "you guys"?

XRay?

I'm voting for McCainThe guys who keep parroting the Rush/Coulter/Hannity mantras.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I've said that I'd vote for McCain. Even more so now that Rush and Sean say he's a liberal. :lmao

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I've said that I'd vote for McCain.Oh, that's why the board "conservatives" oppose McCain.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh, that's why the board "conservatives" oppose McCain.

They'll flip-flop to McCain when he wins the nomination.

George Gervin's Afro
02-05-2008, 05:04 PM
The guys who keep parroting the Rush/Coulter/Hannity mantras.

but they think for themselves.. don't forget.

Ocotillo
02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
More Info on Movement Conservatives (http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2008/02/the_conservative_minority_/)

This from James Joyner.......

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse on the issue, but the continued high pitched battle between conservative Republicans who have rallied around conservative-come-lately Mitt Romney in hopes of defeating Teddy Kennedy’s Good Friend John McCain remains the most interesting story this election cycle.

Conservatives Love Romney

The most recent Rasmussen poll shows that “Romney leads by sixteen percentage points among conservatives while McCain has a two-to-one advantage among moderate Primary Voters.” Of course, Rasmussen shows Romney and McCain tied nationally, whereas Gallup and Fox show McCain leading by 20 and 28 points, respectively. Even Michelle Malkin acknowledges that the poll is “the anomaly.”

Still, that Romney is outpolling McCain among self-identified conservatives is a consistent trend. We’ve seen it time and again in the exit polls.

John Hinderaker asserts that, “as the primary season draws to a close, most conservatives are coalescing around Mitt Romney.” Bill Quick believes we are now engaged in “the War for the GOP” with the “GOP establishment attempting to remake the party in its preferred liberal-conservative image - an image in which the ‘conservative’ part is mostly window dressing for the suckers.

Republicans Voting for McCain, Not Romney

Yet, for reasons Eric Kleefeld lays out nicely, McCain is likely to emerge Tuesday night as the prohibitive favorite to win the Republican nomination. AllahPundit, who strongly prefers Romney but maintains a realistic outlook, concurs.

So, we have two countervailing trends:

Conservatives prefer Romney over McCain, hands down
McCain is winning Republican primaries against Romney
This, incidentally, despite Romney having outspent McCain by ridiculous margins in television advertising.

What is one to conclude from this?

Perhaps “conservatives” are now a minority, even among Republican primary voters? If so, given that there are virtually no conservatives remaining in the Democratic Party these days and that voters who aren’t aligned with either party are almost by definition non-ideological, that would mean that conservatives are a small minority, indeed, among the American electorate.

Alternatively, perhaps the definition of “conservative” has become so narrow and esoteric that it’s become virtually meaningless?

When Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980 and again in 1984, he did it by putting together a coalition of small government conservatives, social conservatives, and anti-communists. He famously engendered the support of blue collar folks who were dubbed “Reagan Democrats.” Most of that group simply became Reagan Republicans.

Has the country gotten that much less conservative since then?

In some ways, yes. We’re much more tolerant on lifestyle issues, notably the role of women and acceptance of homosexuality, than we were a generation ago. Abortion has now been legal for 35 years, not a mere seven. We’re also much further removed from the days of the military draft, which means fewer of our menfolk have served.

But, fundamentally, we’re the same country we were in 1980. We’re still the most religious country in the developed world and probably the most patriotic. We’re more citified and more homogenized than we were but we still cling to the John Wayne rugged individualist mythos to a large degree.

The conservative majority has become a Conservative minority.

The Conservative Movement has morphed from a handful of intellectual true believers trying to shape the debate into something approaching a civil religion with loyalty tests and a clericy that has the power to excommunicate.

John McCain was part of the 1980 wave that rolled into Congress on Ronald Reagan’s coattails. Indeed, McCain was among those Reagan was honored to stand with at 1974’s CPAC convention. But someone with an 82 percent lifetime ACU rating is considered a traitor to the cause. Much better, apparently, to flip 180 degrees on election eve and spout the right Party Line talking points.

As I wrote last year from CPAC, when throngs of so-called conservatives lined up for Ann Coulter’s autograph moments after she referred to John Edwards as a “faggot,” “Somehow, I can’t imagine Ronald Reagan being pleased.” Yet, the modern Conservative Moment seems to be dominated by the shrill nonsense of Coulter and Jonah Goldberg and Michael Savage and Neil Boortz. In short, the Conservative Movement is no longer particularly “conservative” at all.

_______

T Park
02-05-2008, 10:21 PM
John McCain is in no way conservative.

Hes independent period.

possessed
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
but they think for themselves.. don't forget.
As much as the liberals who get their news from Comedy Central.