PDA

View Full Version : What would have happened if...........

Useruser666
01-05-2005, 09:10 AM
One of Saddam's sons had eventually taken power? Just an honest question to a very possible senario.

Yonivore
01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
One of Saddam's sons had eventually taken power? Just an honest question to a very possible senario.
Status Quo.

desflood
01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
From what we've heard of his sons, especially Uday, it would be very much like him still being there.

Clandestino
01-05-2005, 11:24 AM
the soccer team would not have done as well as they did!

jalbre6
01-05-2005, 12:31 PM
I'd guess a civil war or some sort of military coup.

NeoConIV
01-05-2005, 12:37 PM
I'd guess a civil war or some sort of military coup.
I doubt it.

jalbre6
01-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Really? Saddam had been in power since '79. Looking at what is happening now with all these factions rising up against the US invasion, they'd actually have an opportunity to seize power if the US wasn't there. I think there would be a free for all if one of the sons would have tried to take over. People get sick of having the same boss for 25 years, espeically one that lost a war and was subject to world sanctions. Iraq (pre US invasion, of course) was considered to have the strongest military in the Middle East. You don't think some colonel or general wouldn't try to seize power a la Quaddafi?

Nbadan
01-05-2005, 04:06 PM

Given what we know now about, well, the lack of WMD's in Iraq, the lack of Saddam ties to Al Queda and International terrorism as a whole, I don't see Saddam being any worse of the ruler than Saudi Arabia or other U.S. allies in the region. There is no guarantee that either of Saddam's sons would have been able to consolidate power in Iraq, especially given the deteriorating state of Iraq's military because of years of embargos and sanctions that worked.

Useruser666
01-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Given what we know now about, well, the lack of WMD's in Iraq, the lack of Saddam ties to Al Queda and International terrorism as a whole, I don't see Saddam being any worse of the ruler than Saudi Arabia or other U.S. allies in the region. There is no guarantee that either of Saddam's sons would have been able to consolidate power in Iraq, especially given the deteriorating state of Iraq's military because of years of embargos and sanctions that worked.

My question was not, "Do you think it possible for Saddam's sons to take over power in Iraq?". I asked what would have happened if that were the out come.

Nbadan
01-05-2005, 04:39 PM
I asked what would have happened if that were the out come.

Your not listening. It probably would have been more of the same, which for that region was pretty normal with one big exception. Saddam's sons would have in time been confined to a smaller and smaller region of Iraq, kinda like what is happening now with the Sunni's but without all the killing.

Useruser666
01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
So things would have been better then? Better for the people that live in that smaller and smaller area?