PDA

View Full Version : Possible trade in San Antonio (unlikely)

genomefreak13
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Expiring Assets: Western Conference
Authored by Matthew Gordon - 30th January, 2008 - 5:16 pm

Believe it or not, the vaunted defending champs have a little breathing room. Brent Barry, Robert Horry, and Fabricio Oberto all have expiring contracts, and they combine to be about $13 million. That’s a significant chunk of money that could be used to bring in a really good player or maybe even two of them. Considering the Spurs’ aging roster, that might not be a bad idea.

It’s tough to justify trading Barry if you’re San Antonio. Throughout his four-year contract signed in 2004, his play hasn’t diminished at all; this season, he’s shooting 48% from the field, 43% from three, and is averaging almost a steal per turnover. He is thirty-six years old, though, which underscores the issue that team has. As Tim Duncan’s health fails and many of his support players get old, what’ll be left there besides Tony Parker and a bunch of cap space? Enticing as that proposition could be, the thought of another half-decade or more of deep playoff runs is even more so.

Horry and Oberto are replaceable at different levels. Horry, although he hasn’t been turning the ball over this season, hasn’t been doing anything else either; he’s been good for 18% shooting from the field and all of two rebounds per game. Oberto’s averaged five and five, solid for his twenty minutes of play, and is shooting a scorching 64% from the field. Horry is thirty-seven and clearly on the downside of his career and probably better as a mentor for young players than as a player at this point. Oberto, not quite 33, is productive and spry, having not been subjected to so many years of NBA pounding. Even so, while Horry is clearly expendable at this point, Oberto could be too if the player coming back is a starting-caliber big man.

The main thing stopping the Spurs from making a trade is that the expiring contracts they have are attached to players only contenders would want, and there is no way a Western Conference contender dares making a trade with the Spurs. None of the Mavericks, Suns, Hornets, or Lakers would particularly enjoy trading a player only to get burned by him three months later, I’d imagine. The logical place for the Spurs to look is East, but not that many Eastern teams would be willing to part with young(er) talent for the sole purpose of being the team that gets to be annihilated by the Celtics/Pistons' chainsaw in the second round.

The Verdict: If the Spurs can find a player around the league who’s on a small contract and is young but who doesn’t necessarily fit into his team’s system, trading Horry and maybe a second-rounder or two for the guy is a no-brainer. Barry and Oberto both have something left in the tank and are tougher to part with on that basis, but a starter at the five or maybe even the three would be too tempting. What the Spurs should do this deadline is what they’ve always done and what’s made them so successful: go bargain shopping and if the price isn’t right, be happy with a team that’s already championship-quality anyway.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Heck, with that kind of money we could sign Nazr Mohammed.

Cloud786
02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
You don't trade Robert Horry.

Indazone
02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
We'll give you Mike James.

FirebatMIV
02-05-2008, 01:18 PM
We'll give you Mike James.

Isn't that a STD?

hater
02-05-2008, 01:18 PM
this guy knows nothing. Horry got his Never Trade Me card when he won the championship in 05.

stxspurs
02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
move elson...please!

dmac
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I didn't know Timmy's health was failing. Does he have crabs?

samikeyp
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM

You do if it makes your team better.

101A
02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
You don't trade Robert Horry to a team that you might meet in the playoffs.Fixed it.

duncan228
02-05-2008, 02:32 PM
As Tim Duncan’s health fails...

:wtf

First I've heard...

MoSpur
02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I think they'll make a trade.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
RealGM articles aren't very good.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-05-2008, 02:49 PM

Indeed. This guys knows shit. OMG!

FromWayDowntown
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I think they'll make a trade.

it was interesting that Pop, in saying the Spurs would be interested in deals that might improve the club, specifically said that this year is different from last year and that the Spurs don't absolutely intend to stand pat.

VaSpursFan
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
it was interesting that Pop, in saying the Spurs would be interested in deals that might improve the club, specifically said that this year is different from last year and that the Spurs don't absolutely intend to stand pat.

when did he say this?

nfg3
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Oberto reupped so it is Finely that the writer should have mentioned. As for making a trade Pop is always looking for a deal as are all GMs out there. Problem is there usually aren't many good ones to consider. And I guess Pop feels confortable with this team as is or at least for this year.

FromWayDowntown
02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
when did he say this?

I heard it on the radio this morning. It must have been a cut from yesterday's practice.

ehz33satx
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Why not? All of a sudden he is going to light it up in the playoffs? Maybe. Then again, maybe he won't.

Soul_Patch
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Although i was always a Robert horry fan...i really was disapointed that he didnt retire after last season.

He is a black hole on our roster this year, and although i think he deserves all the respect in the world, he needs to hang it up and let someone younger and hungrier come in and fill the shoes...

MoSpur
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I would trade Robert Horry if it meant getting someone better and younger.

ehz33satx
02-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I love Robert Horry and what he has done for the Spurs, but I don't like the aura about him coasting through the regular season. Given a young, strong player who can score and rebound and defend all year round and most of us would give Robert Horry up in a second.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Wasn't this already posted in another thread.

Or am I having Deja Vu?

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Horry usually sucks during the regular season.

Trouble is he has never sucked this badly during the regular season.

Still, it would have to be a pretty awesome trade to make me feel good about letting him go to another team.

MoSpur
02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Wasn't this already posted in another thread.

Or am I having Deja Vu?

Its been posted in a lot of threads.

ehz33satx
02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Tell you what! I would trade Horry for Chris Kaman with a quickness!

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Pop* doesn't trade Robert Horry.

tav1
02-05-2008, 03:59 PM
If Horry's expiring deal can help land the Spurs a young guy that *can* make the rotation, then I think you have to make that deal, 2005 Finals and all. At this point Horry is so unproductive I'm not convinced you even need to get a stud back in return. 8 and 6 would be a homerun.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Horry should be making what Mike Budnholzer makes.

That's what he is at this point. A glorified assistant coach.

wildbill2u
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Trading Horry this year to help the team this year makes more sense than a probable retirement that might help next year.

But I don't foresee a trade that will be viable and help us greatly.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Trading Horry this year to help the team this year makes more sense than a probable retirement that might help next year.We could always Ferry trade him if he's retiring.