PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi on playoff roster?

traitoravery
02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
If the Spurs dont acquire another big man do you think Ian would make the playoff roster? With the lakers aquiring Pau and all.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Ian = Pau.

boutons_
02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
The DL season would be over, so Ian warming the Spurs bench wouldn't take away from DL PT.

I really doubt Pop would give Ian any playing time after the first round. The big man rotation will be Tim + Fabricio and Robert's Last Stand, maybe some Matt. VERY tight rotation, as always.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Obviously.

pad300
02-05-2008, 05:18 PM
The DL season would be over, so Ian warming the Spurs bench wouldn't take away from DL PT.

I really doubt Pop would give Ian any playing time after the first round. The big man rotation will be Tim + Francisco and Robert's Last Stand, maybe some Matt. VERY tight rotation, as always.

No Oberto, after what he gave us last year?

As for the topic of the thread, who's off the 12 man playoff roster

Duncan
Horry
Mahinmi
Bonner
Elson
Oberto
Bowen
Udoka
Finley
Barry
Ginobili
Parker
Vaughn
Stoudamire

14 Players. Must drop 2.
2 PG's (Parker, either Vaughn or Stoudamire, likely Vaughn)
5 Wings (Manu, Bowen, Udoka, Finley, Barry)
5 Bigs (Duncan, Oberto, Horry, and two of Elson, Bonner, Mahinmi)

Mahinmi's chances of making the Playoff roster hinge on injury to one of the other bigs, or on a trade that makes space in our bigs... (say Barry + Elson+ stuff for Mike Miller), and that assumes that we don't bring in another experienced big in for Backup in such a scenario.

T Park
02-05-2008, 05:20 PM
If everything is set and they can't move up or down, ala last season, I see Ian getting a bunch of PT at the end of the year.

Playoffs?

One of the regular bigs would have to be hurt.

Even then pop would prob rather go the small ball route.

fyatuk
02-05-2008, 05:23 PM
No Oberto, after what he gave us last year?

As for the topic of the thread, who's off the 12 man playoff roster

13 man playoff roster since 2006 (although only 12 are active). I could see Mahinmi being #13, getting some play in rd 1 then being inactive the rest.

timvp
02-05-2008, 05:24 PM
The "playoff roster" is dead. Each of the 15 players on the team are eligible to play in the playoffs. Teams just list their 12 active players before each playoff game.

This was a rule that was changed last year that didn't get much recognition but makes a lot of sense. Teams used to have to name their 12 players and didn't have any wiggle room even if a player or two got injured during the playoffs.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
But Mahinmi wouldn't even make the 15-man rotation.

timvp
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
13 man playoff roster It went from 12 to 13 but now it's 15.

timvp
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
But Mahinmi wouldn't even make the 15-man rotation. :wtf

Name the 15 ahead of him.

Thanks.

fyatuk
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
The "playoff roster" is dead. Each of the 15 players on the team are eligible to play in the playoffs. Teams just list their 12 active players before each playoff game.

This was a rule that was changed last year that didn't get much recognition but makes a lot of sense. Teams used to have to name their 12 players and didn't have any wiggle room even if a player or two got injured during the playoffs.

They changed it 2 years in a row? Weird.

Always thought it was absurd anyway.

FromWayDowntown
02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
:wtf

Thanks.

:lol

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 05:31 PM
The Toros' season ends just four days before the Spurs' season does. That may mean that Ian could get some Spurs PT if they aren't fighting for a particular playoff position. If they are. however, they might let Ian play in the D-League playoffs depending on the schedule. I don't know if the rules that kept assignees from NBA playoff teams like Pops Mensa-Bonsu from playing in the D-League playoffs have been fixed, but that seemed to be a pretty big bone of contention last season, so it was probably addressed.

Bruno
02-05-2008, 05:33 PM
If the Spurs dont acquire another big man do you think Ian would make the playoff roster? With the lakers aquiring Pau and all.

Mahinmi knows Pau very well. :)

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
:wtf

Thanks.

Wait, the Spurs only have 14 players on there roster? (Spurs.com)

I assumed since he's in the D-league the Spurs already had 12 active guys and 3 on the IR. Obviously if the Spurs only HAVE 15 players or less, then he'll be on the playoff roster.

Warming a seat on the end of the bench.

FromWayDowntown
02-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Wait, the Spurs only have 14 players on there roster? (Spurs.com)

I assumed since he's in the D-league the Spurs already had 12 active guys and 3 on the IR. Obviously if the Spurs only HAVE 15 players or less, then he'll be on the playoff roster.

Warming a seat on the end of the bench.

The better way to say that, I think, is that Ian could conceivably be activated for a playoff game, just like every other player the Spurs have under contract at the end of the regular season.