PDA

View Full Version : [Miami Herald]Trade in Discussion: Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks for Shaquille O'Neal

Matchman
02-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Sources: Suns a 'yes' away from acquiring Shaq for Marion

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The seemingly improbable pairing of an aging Shaquille O'Neal and the run-and-gun Phoenix Suns is a "yes" from the Suns away from happening, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Miami Heat are poised to send O'Neal to the Suns in exchange for All-Star forward Shawn Marion and out-of-favor guard Marcus Banks. Miami is just waiting for Phoenix management to either accept or reject what would rank as one of the most unexpected trades in league history.

"It looks like it's going to happen," said one source close to the situation. "We should know for sure by tomorrow."

Another sign that the deal is imminent: ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported Tuesday night on SportsCenter that O'Neal is scheduled to travel to Phoenix on Wednesday, presumably to take a physical.

The Miami Herald first reported on its Web site Tuesday night that the Heat have informed O'Neal that they are shopping him and that talks with the Suns were serious.

That apparently surprised O'Neal, but also pleased him. Sources say that the 35-year-old -- in the midst of his least productive season and with the Heat cratering from a championship in 2006 to a 9-37 record less than two years later -- is eager to leave Miami and his deteriorating relationship with Heat coach Pat Riley. The Associated Press, furthermore, quoted an O'Neal associate Tuesday night as saying, "Shaq thinks something will happen."

As for Marion, Bucher reports that the 29-year-old is in favor of the proposed deal and quotes a source close to Marion as saying there's a "good" chance that the trade would happen.

Making a move for O'Neal appears on the surface to make little basketball or financial sense for the Suns. His arrival in Phoenix would undoubtedly prompt widespread skepticism about his ability to keep up in the Suns' high-octane system. The two years and $40 million remaining on O'Neal's contract after this season also clashes with the Suns' recent pattern of trading away players (such as Kurt Thomas) and draft picks in an attempt to reduce payroll and eventually drag themselves away from the NBA luxury-tax line of $67.875 million.

The Suns, though, have been plagued by well-chronicled concerns about their chemistry for well over a year, generally focusing on the occasional dissatisfaction voiced behind the scenes by either Marion or Amare Stoudemire. In the locker room as well as the front office, sources say, there are factions that have believed for some time that one of them would eventually have to be traded.

Going through with the deal, then, would suggest that the Suns believe that they can immediately improve their chemistry with this change. The Suns would also be banking on the idea that the trade would give them the injection of size they've lacked since Steve Nash was reacquired as a free agent to play for coach Mike D'Antoni. Phoenix would also hope to rejuvenate O'Neal after a season in which his effectiveness and durability have been doubted louder than ever.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said on his weekly radio show on Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix on Tuesday night that the story caught him by surprise.

"The trade deadline's coming up so I'm sure there's talk all over the place," he said. "In our day and age now, you make one of those phone calls or answer a phone call everybody in the world knows about it. Other than normal business, I don't know anything that's going on."

Asked if any deal was close, D'Antoni said "No, no, no."

O'Neal has missed Miami's last six games with a sore left hip and did not speak to reporters after Tuesday's practice. Riley said earlier Tuesday that O'Neal will undergo an MRI.

''We just want to back it up and see, after two weeks, what it shows,'' Riley said.

O'Neal helped Miami overturn a 2-0 deficit against Dallas in the 2006 NBA Finals but is averaging a career-low 14.2 points and 7.8 rebounds in 32 games this season.

Bucher reported on ESPN2's "NBA Coast to Coast" last week that the Heat were indeed shopping O'Neal, but Riley issued a strong denial in response.

"I'm done talking about rumors and reports," Riley said. "But, no, there's no truth to that."

Said O'Neal last Friday: "[Riley] hasn't spoken to me. He hasn't talked about it. I've been in the league 15 years. I've seen it all, been through it all. I've just got to sit back."

Marion asked to be traded before the season began but has generally avoided talk of the subject since then. He is set to make $17 million next season, the final year of his contract, but can opt out of the deal after this season and become a free agent.

Suns owner Robert Sarver insisted two weeks ago that none of the Suns' core players would be traded this season.

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

SenorSpur
02-05-2008, 07:06 PM
A clear, desparate indication of the Suns waving the "white flag" on their season. Further buoyed by the recent Gasol-to-the-Fakers trade.

dknights411
02-05-2008, 07:13 PM
WTF are the Suns smoking here?

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
:lol
I would actually feel bad for Phoenix if this happened.

mardigan
02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Cant see the Suns taking on that contract.

BillsCarnage
02-05-2008, 07:44 PM
C'mon ppl, you know it's that time of the year for just about every news outlet to start tossing Marion's name in every possible trade scenario.

This would be a stooopid trade for the Suns.

AZLouis
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Cant see the Suns taking on that contract.

Me neither. Sarv wouldn't shell out an extra couple of million over a few years for Tim Thomas after proclaiming he had started a Tim Thomas Fund. Ended up with Marcus Banks by the way.

They aren't willing to give a more productive Marion $20,000,000.

This would be the king of all idiot moves.

Though some comments from Riles about Shaq only being hampered by injuries and not age are starting to make sense.

JamStone
02-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Few teams would want Shawn Marion. Even fewer would take on Shaq's contract, but penny pinching Sarver will? Deal not happening.

BillsCarnage
02-05-2008, 08:07 PM
this would have to create a domino effect for other trades for the Suns. They already are at the cap/tax threshold for next season w/ potentially 9 players signed. If Shaq were to get added they would then be at 8 players and the same salary.

Skills aside, this makes absolutely no sense for the Suns financially and i have a hard time believing there are any serious talks going on.

baseline bum
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
God, Shaq is done. Why would Phoenix ever trade for his monster $60 million contract? What a steal for Miami if true.

baseline bum
02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Gotta admit though, Shaq on a running team would be a great sight! :lol

G-Money
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Lol At Shaq Running With Phx.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 09:11 PM

LOL @ Shaq trying to run PERIOD!

lefty
02-05-2008, 09:27 PM

He'll lose 250 pounds after spending just 45 seconds on the court

sribb43
02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I bet this is nearing the end of Marion in PHX even if this deal doenst happen. He was already disgruntled going into the season and has been quiet til now. Im sure hearing his name in trade rumors is going to put him over the edge and demand a trade again

Chucho
02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Few teams would want Shawn Marion.

Ha. Who are you kidding? I can name about ten or fifteen teams that would trade for Marion. Indiana for one, Sacto, Miami, New Jersey, Atlanta, Cleveland and alot more. The man can defend four posistions, is a top three defender and would easily be a 20 and 10 guy on a lesser team. Saying few teams would want Marion is like saying America wants George W. to be elected to a third term. Jesus Christ what a statement.

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
This is supposedly a done deal, just waiting for the news conference! :wow

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
He'll lose 250 pounds after spending just 45 seconds on the court

lol

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 09:52 PM
This deal makes no sense for Phoenix. Shaq on a run & gun team? And with such a huge contract? No way....

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Ha. Who are you kidding? The man can defend four posistions, is a top three defender and would easily be a 20 and 10 guy on a lesser team.

Who are you kidding?

sribb43
02-05-2008, 09:59 PM
This is supposedly a done deal, just waiting for the news conference! :wow

:smokin...thank you PHX for making this deal....youll lose Marion and Shaq will probably miss a ton of games and be out of shape for playoffs. enjoy that fat contract.....soon you guys will be playing with only 4 players bc your owner who is already cheap will realize he has f'ed up and want to save money

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
What is Phoenix thinking?

1) Shaq is old and not anywhere near what he was just...2 years ago.
2) They're a run and gun team. Shaq can't run, or gun. By the time he gets in the front court, the Suns will be back on defense. (If they were to play defense)

Vinnie_Johnson
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Fuck that don't bail out The Heat they signed him to that stupid contract make them ride it out. What are the Suns thinking bad trade Shaq is fat and slow. Just say no the Shaq :madrun

sribb43
02-05-2008, 10:02 PM
The suns saw the lakers make a move and now believe they must do the same, its the sign of a team that isnt confident in what they have and will make a drastic move that will be the demise of their team

dougp
02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Why the FUCK would anyone trade for Shaq? He's a HAS BEEN, and NEVER WILL BE good anymore. PERIOD.

It's not about cap space, why the hell would any of the stars want to go to Miami? Ugh ...

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Why would Suns make such a huge change when they are leading the Western Conference? There is no way in hell this deal is happening.

duncan228
02-05-2008, 10:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al6TwyI24zVbmXEHiEX42HC8vLYF?slug=ap-heat-oneal&prov=ap&type=lgns

Report: Shaquille O'Neal could be getting traded

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer

MIAMI (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal is prepared for the Miami Heat to trade him, a confidant of the 14-time All-Star center told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

O'Neal's associate, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal anything publicly, indicated a move could be imminent.

"Shaq thinks something will happen," the associate said.

The Miami Herald reported earlier Tuesday that the Heat are in "serious and ongoing" trade negotiations with the Phoenix Suns. A Heat spokesman said the team had no comment, and several Suns officials didn't immediately return phone calls from The AP.

The Herald report said the Suns would send Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to Miami in exchange for O'Neal, who is averaging a career-low 14.2 points and has been sidelined for the past two weeks by a lingering hip injury.

When asked last week about another report that a Shaq trade was possible, Heat coach Pat Riley said, "Not true."

It isn't known if O'Neal -- who has two full seasons remaining after this one on his $100 million, five-year contract -- would welcome a trade.

A four-time NBA champion, O'Neal entered this season talking about how he wanted to win at least one more title, saying his "legacy" wouldn't be complete unless he left the game with at least five rings.

If he's going to get No. 5 this year, he'd have to go elsewhere.

The Heat have lost 19 of their last 20 games and have the NBA's worst record at 9-37 -- meaning the 2006 NBA champions are almost a lock to miss the postseason. Phoenix, meanwhile, entered Tuesday with a 1 1/2 -game lead over New Orleans and Dallas in the race for the best record in the Western Conference.

To this point, O'Neal's year has been largely forgettable.

Miami's record has plummeted, O'Neal is going through a divorce and his scoring average is nearly 11 1/2 points below his 25.6 career mark. He suffered a bruised hip on Dec. 22 and has missed four of the past five weeks while trying to recover.

The team said he was undergoing another MRI exam on Tuesday, presumably to further determine the extent of the injury, and O'Neal didn't speak before leaving Miami's practice. The Heat play at Detroit on Wednesday.

Last Friday, O'Neal said he and Riley have not discussed any trade possibilities.

"He hasn't spoken to me," O'Neal said at the time. "He hasn't talked about it. I've been in the league 15 years. I've seen it all, been through it all. I've just got to sit back."

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said on his weekly radio show Tuesday night that the story caught him by surprise.

"The trade deadline's coming up so I'm sure there's talk all over the place," he said. "In our day and age now, you make one of those phone calls or answer a phone call everybody in the world knows about it. Other than normal business, I don't know anything that's going on."

Asked if any deal was close, D'Antoni said "No, no, no."

Marion asked to be traded before the season began but has avoided talk of the subject since then. He is set to make $17 million next season, the final year of his contract, but can opt out of the deal and become a free agent.

Suns owner Robert Sarver said two weeks ago that none of the core players would be traded this season.

Neither Sarver nor Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr returned messages left on their cell phones.

AP sports writer Bob Baum in Phoenix contributed to this report.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
The more I think about this...the more it is worrying me. =/

They can run and gun without shaq. But now with Shaq (a healthy one) they have someone they can feed in the half court. This is either going to be a huge bust, or a genius move by the Suns.

sribb43
02-05-2008, 10:24 PM

They can run and gun without shaq. But now with Shaq (a healthy one) they have someone they can feed in the half court. This is either going to be a huge bust, or a genius move by the Suns.

shaq would get in Amares way in the paint and plus shaq has had problems finishing at the rim bc his knees and hips are shot. if shaq somehow dominates once again, just put his ass on the line and watch the bricks stack up. slowing the pace down would hurt i think barbosa the most bc he excels with his speed in the open floor and open 3's off the break

Matchman
02-05-2008, 10:27 PM

I am leaning toward a huge bust. Trading away the best defender on a team thats already bad defensively? Thats like the nuggets trading away marcus camby.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I am leaning toward a huge bust. Trading away the best defender on a team thats already bad defensively? Thats like the nuggets trading away marcus camby.

But that team doesn't revolve around defense.

Plus, Shaq plays Duncan well.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
shaq would get in Amares way in the paint and plus shaq has had problems finishing at the rim bc his knees and hips are shot. if shaq somehow dominates once again, just put his ass on the line and watch the bricks stack up. slowing the pace down would hurt i think barbosa the most bc he excels with his speed in the open floor and open 3's off the break

I think Shaq's shortcomings in Miami might be in big part due to him being the 1 or 2 option on any given play.

In Phoenix they might not need more then a handful of quality possesions out of him in the game.

Clog up the lane on defense, and a few half court possessions here and there is all Phoenix needs out of him.

mardigan
02-05-2008, 10:36 PM
ESPN News just reported that Marion says he is all for leaving, and that this trade is starting to look like its going down

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I can't wait to see Shaq in the Suns O.

Make it happen, God.

Please?

sribb43
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
ESPN News just reported that Marion says he is all for leaving, and that this trade is starting to look like its going down

ya like is said earlier in the thread...after hearing this trade rumor, Marion has offically checked out from the suns mentally. if this doenst go through he will for sure be dealt bc he would tear the team apart

duncan228
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Marion has been mentally checking out of the Suns for a long time now.
He's complained of feeling like he doesn't get his due in the big 3 conversation of Nash, Amare and Marion.
He's been more and more vocal about not being happy over the last couple of seasons.

Medvedenko
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Good deal for the Heat if this happens. They can reload with Wade and Marion. Just start adding more pieces and they'll be fine. Now the suns....hmmmnnn...they do get bigger....and more injured.......

RonMexico
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I would be ok with the deal if Haslem were thrown in there... and Chris Quinn.

Haslem can play defense and rebound as well as Marion. He has a much better midrange shot as well.

If it were just Shaq, then I officially begin suicide watch tomorrow.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 11:06 PM
I'll be honest.

Marion never really scared me. But the thought of a rejuvinated Shaq, in a system where they need minimal out of him only in key situations? That has me a bit worried.

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I think Shaq's shortcomings in Miami might be in big part due to him being the 1 or 2 option on any given play.

In Phoenix they might not need more then a handful of quality possesions out of him in the game.

Clog up the lane on defense, and a few half court possessions here and there is all Phoenix needs out of him.

You do know about the 3-second rule, don't you? Shaq is too slow to be the defender he was 10 years ago. He just physically can't rotate quick enough or get over to provide help defense.

In all honesty, I still think Shaq has a little left in the tank. And I think he could help the right team. But not Phoenix. It's just not a good fit at all. They're fast, he's slow.

Gasol going to the Lakers, on the other hand, is a brilliant pick-up. He makes the Lakers even more dangerous, and they gave up nothing to get him!

Phoenix will lose Shawn Marion in this deal, and that means they lose one of their leading rebounders, their best defender, one of their fast-break threats, and one of their 3pt threats.

i really pray that Phoenix does this deal and seals their fate....

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2008, 11:09 PM
You do know about the 3-second rule, don't you? Shaq is too slow to be the defender he was 10 years ago. He just physically can't rotate quick enough or get over to provide help defense.

In all honesty, I still think Shaq has a little left in the tank. And I think he could help the right team. But not Phoenix. It's just not a good fit at all. They're fast, he's slow.

Gasol going to the Lakers, on the other hand, is a brilliant pick-up. He makes the Lakers even more dangerous, and they gave up nothing to get him!

Phoenix will lose Shawn Marion in this deal, and that means they lose one of their leading rebounders, their best defender, one of their fast-break threats, and one of their 3pt threats.

i really pray that Phoenix does this deal and seals their fate....

Don't get me wrong. I think I agree with you. It's probably a bad deal for Phoenix.

But my thing is...the possibility that it could turn into a genius deal, just scares me. That team with marion never really worried me. But with Nash / Amare / Shaq...that would make me think twice before writing them off.

mardigan
02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Shaq would give the Suns the ability to play up or down tempo for the first time in forever. Marion is going to opt out and leave anyway, the Suns might as well get something that might help them this year.

Matchman
02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Shaq would be an ideal reserve for my Rockets tho. my team is built for a slow-paced offense with a dominant big man anywayz... He can still play 15 mins/gm backing-up Yao right?

lurker
02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Dear Shawn,

You won't be a fan favorite in Miami either, douchebag. No matter where you go, there will always be another player better and more likable than you.

N4th4n
02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I Dont Know What To Think Any More!!

sribb43
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Bucher just said on SportsCenter that Shaq is headed to PHX in the morning for a physical

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Shaq would be an ideal reserve for my Rockets tho. my team is built for a slow-paced offense with a dominant big man anywayz... He can still play 15 mins/gm backing-up Yao right?

EXACTLY! Shaq would make sense on the Rockets roster. He'd also make sense on the Spurs, as much as a lot of Spurs fans might not want to hear that. He needs to be on a team built for the half-court, and a team that plays team defense.

Elson, Horry, and Bonner for Shaq? Please??

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Bucher just said on SportsCenter that Shaq is headed to PHX in the morning for a physical

OMG!!!!!!!! :toast :p: :spin :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :lol :lol :toast :downspin: :downspin: :hungry: :clap :clap :clap :drunk :drunk

sribb43
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Greg Antony loves the deal for PHX, said they werent gonna win it with the team they currently have

GaryJohnston
02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
LOL, Im glad for the suns. This move will explode all over their faces, like..............

BonnerDynasty
02-05-2008, 11:35 PM
holy shit!

THINK OF THE RATINGS!!!!

Matchman
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I would love to see a rematch of Suns vs Lakers in the playoffs

BillsCarnage
02-05-2008, 11:44 PM

Yup, as much as i hate to say it, if Shaq passes the physical I think this will be a done deal.

peskypesky
02-05-2008, 11:45 PM
I would love to see a rematch of Suns vs Lakers in the playoffs

Without Marion, Suns won't stand a chance against Lakers. Lakers in 4.

bostonguy
02-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Yup, as much as i hate to say it, if Shaq passes the physical I think this will be a done deal.

This trade is pure bullshit. No links and no report of it anywhere that it happened.

sribb43
02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
what are some suns fans opinions of this deal?

sribb43
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
This trade is pure bullshit. No links and no report of it anywhere that it happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3232862

http://www.miamiherald.com/592/story/407442.html

ShoogarBear
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-05/11/xin_06050211090916893485.jpg

"Let's go! C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, let's go, let's go! C'mon, let's go!"

http://mt.laweekly.com/sea/dailyweekly/shaquille_o_neal-arton21120-240x240.jpg

"WTF? Slow your roll, dude."

spurscenter
02-06-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-05/11/xin_06050211090916893485.jpg

thats funny

remingtonbo2001
02-06-2008, 12:12 AM

ludda
02-06-2008, 12:25 AM
wtf is going on this season...

mardigan
02-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Really though, how much running does he have to do to throw an outlet pass?

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
wtf is going on this season...

just wait 'til the Spurs pull off a trade of Bonner & Elson for Lebron James!

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Really though, how much running does he have to do to throw an outlet pass?

you've never watched the Suns play, have you? now we understand....

ShoogarBear
Uh, Shaq likes to score. He'll bring the ball up court himself if the Suns are shooting too fast.

BonnerDynasty
just wait 'til the Spurs pull off a trade of Bonner & Elson for Lebron James!

I approve of this trade.

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
I approve of this trade.
pull the trigger!!!! :spin

Roxsfan
02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
hmm, this is some weird shit.

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:35 AM
I approve of this trade.

You know, the sad thing is there are so many f-ck-nuts on this board that even if the Spurs pulled off this trade, there'd be whining.

"How are Bowen and Lebron going to share minutes? And what about Manu and Barry? There won't be enough touches for everyone to be happy. That trade sux!"

mardigan
02-06-2008, 12:35 AM
you've never watched the Suns play, have you? now we understand....
Who's we?
And yea, Ive watched them play enough to know that they can still run a fastbreak with Shaq on the court as long as he gets the ball to Nash in transition. With him, Amare, Barbosa, Bell, Diaw and Hill, they can still run.

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Who's we?
And yea, Ive watched them play enough to know that they can still run a fastbreak with Shaq on the court as long as he gets the ball to Nash in transition. With him, Amare, Barbosa, Bell, Diaw and Hill, they can still run.

can't wait to see that!! :lol

N4th4n
02-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Acorrding to Yahoo the trade has been finialized pending the physical!

mardigan
02-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Gambo: It's A Fact - Shaq Traded To Phoenix
February 5th, 2008 @ 9:12pm by John Gambadoro/Sports 620 KTAR

The Shaquille O'Neal trade to the Phoenix Suns is not a rumor.

In fact, I expect it to happen sometime early afternoon on Wednesday.

O'Neal will be in Phoenix on Wednesday for a physical, according to a Suns team source.

The Suns have moved Wednesday morning's shoot-around, which was originally scheduled at 9:45 a.m., to 4:45 p.m. - hours prior to their contest against the New Orleans Hornets.

The Suns will part ways with Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks and move to a conventional style with O'Neal playing the 5.

The Suns have major concerns about chemistry issues on the team and feel a trade for O'Neal would alleviate those issues, plus give them the post defender they lack.

The money would be a wash this year and next, but the Suns would be on the hook for $20 million in 2009-10 - the final year of O'Neals' contract. There is a belief that the window for Steve Nash to win a championship is down to this year and next and that O'Neal would give the Suns a better chance to win now.

My sources tell me that O'Neal desperately wants to come to Phoenix and will be rejuvenated to have a chance to win again and that the Suns do not have any concerns over his injured hip.

The Suns will not expect O'Neal to dominate as he did in his prime, in fact his minutes will probably hover around 25 per game as they try to keep him fresh for the playoffs and a potential matchup against Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

Just what this means for Mike D'Antoni is anyone's guess.

It is clear that a trade for O'Neal would be a negative indictment on the Suns current style and would suggest that management does not believe the current run-and-gun style can win a title.

Sports 620 KTAR's Craig Grialou contributed to this report

http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=126&sid=724522

ducks
Gambo: It's A Fact - Shaq Traded To Phoenix
February 5th, 2008 @ 9:12pm by John Gambadoro/Sports 620 KTAR

The Shaquille O'Neal trade to the Phoenix Suns is not a rumor.

In fact, I expect it to happen sometime early afternoon on Wednesday.

O'Neal will be in Phoenix on Wednesday for a physical, according to a Suns team source.

The Suns have moved Wednesday morning's shoot-around, which was originally scheduled at 9:45 a.m., to 4:45 p.m. - hours prior to their contest against the New Orleans Hornets.

The Suns will part ways with Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks and move to a conventional style with O'Neal playing the 5.

The Suns have major concerns about chemistry issues on the team and feel a trade for O'Neal would alleviate those issues, plus give them the post defender they lack.

The money would be a wash this year and next, but the Suns would be on the hook for $20 million in 2009-10 - the final year of O'Neals' contract. There is a belief that the window for Steve Nash to win a championship is down to this year and next and that O'Neal would give the Suns a better chance to win now.

My sources tell me that O'Neal desperately wants to come to Phoenix and will be rejuvenated to have a chance to win again and that the Suns do not have any concerns over his injured hip.

The Suns will not expect O'Neal to dominate as he did in his prime, in fact his minutes will probably hover around 25 per game as they try to keep him fresh for the playoffs and a potential matchup against Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

Just what this means for Mike D'Antoni is anyone's guess.

It is clear that a trade for O'Neal would be a negative indictment on the Suns current style and would suggest that management does not believe the current run-and-gun style can win a title.

Sports 620 KTAR's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=126&sid=724522

Extra Stout
It shocks me that Steve Kerr would make this trade. This is the end of the Phoenix Suns.

ducks
02-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said on his weekly radio show on Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix Tuesday night that the story caught him by surprise.

Asked if any deal was close, D'Antoni said, "No, no, no."

Marion asked to be traded before the season began but has avoided talk of the subject since then. He is set to make $17 million next season, the final year of his contract, but can opt out of the deal and become a free agent.

Suns owner Robert Sarver said two weeks ago that none of the core players would be traded this season.

Neither Sarver nor Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr returned messages left on their cell phones.

AP sports writer Bob Baum in Phoenix contributed to this report.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArEA8mqN.6BYefBsVwNG2CG8vLYF?slug=ap-heat-oneal&prov=ap&type=lgns

Extra Stout
02-06-2008, 12:46 AM
If the Suns really do this, it makes no sense to keep Mike D'Antoni around even one more day.

Horry For 3!
02-06-2008, 12:49 AM
If this goes through, the Suns just got worse :lol No run and gun with old ass Shaq there.

baseline bum
02-06-2008, 12:50 AM
If the Suns really do this, it makes no sense to keep Mike D'Antoni around even one more day.

You could say the same if the Suns didn't do the trade either though.

duncan228
02-06-2008, 12:51 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...llum/index.html

Worth the risk?
Suns appear willing to take chance on aging O'Neal

One of the last players in the NBA who would seem to fit the run-and-gun style of the Phoenix Suns would be Shaquille O'Neal. Even in his prime, the Miami Heat center, who turns 36 on March 6, was no sprinter, and these are far from his best days.

But sources confirmed that the Miami Herald story about ongoing trade talks between the Suns and the Heat are accurate. No decision has been reached, but in the most likely scenario, O'Neal would be dealt for forward Shawn Marion and backup point guard Marcus Banks.

The money would work under the salary cap. Shaq makes $20 million this season, a figure close to the combined salaries of Marion ($16.4 million this season) and Banks ($3.9 million). A source close to the negotiations said that the Suns are concerned about the final year of Shaq's contract, but that it is not necessarily a deal-breaker (O'Neal is on the books for $20 million in the 2008-09 and '09-10 seasons). Also, Miami probably would want Marion to give his OK, because he can opt out of his contract after the season; the four-time All-Star squelched a potential deal with the Celtics before the season by saying he would opt out.

Sources say that the initial calls were made by Miami and that relations between Shaq and coach Pat Riley have become strained; that is not surprising with two competitive old hands trying to muddle through a campaign that has become downright embarrassing. The Heat are 9-37, including 19 losses in their last 20 games. Shaq has played in only 32 games, and he's currently inactive because of recurring pain in his hip and leg. He's missed an average of 20 games over the past six seasons with a variety of injuries.

Stylistically, there would be some changes in Phoenix and in Miami. Losing Banks, who has never caught on with Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, would be no big deal for Phoenix. But Marion defines the essence of the Suns: a fast-moving, athletic player who is also the most versatile defender on a team not known for defense. Those are qualities desperately needed in Miami.

How would Shaq fit in with the Suns' running offense? Not at all. But as the Suns see it, they seldom run a five-man fast break, and Shaq would be the in-bounder. In the half-court, the high pick-and-rolls run by Steve Nash and current center Amaré Stoudemire would be more effective with a Shaq duck-in always available as an option. Plus, though he is averaging a career-low 14.2 points when he does play, Shaq still commands a double team, which leaves things more open for perimeter shooters such as Nash, Raja Bell, Grant Hill, Leandro Barbosa and even Stoudemire. Finally, as increasingly immobile as he might be, Shaq would be able to defend against the bigger frontcourt players (such as San Antonio's Tim Duncan and new Laker Pau Gasol), a weakness of Stoudemire's.

This would be a big move for the Suns, who not only sell themselves as a get-up-and-go offensive team but also stood at a West-leading 34-14 as of Tuesday. It would be a risky move to take on a center with declining athleticism, even one bound for the Hall of Fame. But they are strongly mulling that very possibility.

SpursFanFirst
02-06-2008, 12:57 AM

:lmao As soon as I saw the top of Dantoni's head while I was scrolling, and it was next to SB's name, I knew what would follow!

High entertainment value, if this trade happens!

Pistons < Spurs
02-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Suns, Heat agree to Shaq trade
By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports
February 5, 2008

Johnny Ludden
Yahoo! Sports

No longer confident they can win a championship with their current roster, the Phoenix Suns have agreed to a blockbuster trade that will bring them Shaquille O'Neal, pending results of a physical, a source with knowledge of the negotiations said Tuesday.

O'Neal will travel to Phoenix aboard a private plane, the source said, to undergo an MRI on his ailing left hip Wednesday. If he passes the physical, the Suns will complete the trade by sending Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to the Miami Heat.

The Miami Herald first reported the Suns and Heat were in serious discussions regarding the trade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Am6p4VGg5e3qLf1j3bQX7a85nYcB?slug=jy-shaqdeal020508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Horry For 3!
02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
ESPN just said the trade is gonna happen.

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 01:01 AM
This season is so bat shit crazy.

I can't believe this. The entire league has been turned upside down.

SpursFanFirst
02-06-2008, 01:02 AM
the source said, to undergo an MRI on his ailing left hip Wednesday.

:lol this is starting out well!

Findog
02-06-2008, 01:03 AM
I have no idea what to think of this. Obviously a great deal for Miami, whether they can resign Marion or not. But who knows with Shaq? He's not as explosive as he once was and he's injury-prone, but he might step up his play and be motivated playing for an elite team again.

ShoogarBear
02-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Glad the NBA found ways to amuse us all during the down time between the Super Bowl and the NCAA tournament.

Findog
02-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Is this a panic move on the part of the Suns to counter the Lakers?

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Maybe Bowen can trip Shaq in transition and Shaq will fall on Grant Hill in the process.

O-Factor
02-06-2008, 01:08 AM
LOL, this is going to be great! Shaq getting winded in the 1st Q.

TheNextGen
02-06-2008, 01:12 AM
OMG..i hope the suns trade marion for Shaq...its gonna be 4vs5 ball the whole time Shaq is in.

Findog
02-06-2008, 01:13 AM
LOL, this is going to be great! Shaq getting winded in the 1st Q.

Either that or him being motivated and making life easier for Amare and their shooters. I can see this blowing up in Phoenix's face or them striking gold. All depends on Shaq's health and motivation...he's probably going to be more effective with Steve Nash as his PG than the messed-up situation in Miami. Same way Tyson Chandler looks like a completely different player being fed by Chris Paul instead of Kirk Hinrich.

sribb43
02-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Is this a panic move on the part of the Suns to counter the Lakers?

ya think

sribb43
02-06-2008, 01:20 AM
were are all the suns fans to praise this deal.....they must not like it

Findog
02-06-2008, 01:23 AM
ya think

Marion sucking ass this year probably forced their hands too. He's all about energy, and he hasn't been providing that. The more I think about this trade for the Suns, the more I like it for them, but they've pretty much made their bed for this year and this year alone. If they don't win it this year, they never will.

OldDirtMcGirt
02-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I was so caught up with Super Tuesday that I completely missed this story.

Anyways, I like it. It was clear that this team wasn't going to win the title with this nucleus. We were getting raped with an undersized PF at center, with no toughness, or championship experience. Shaq fixes all of those problems. I mean we're talking about a top ten player of all time here folks, I think that he's going to respond to being disrespected and questioned so much that he's going to rebound. At least management had some balls.

Medvedenko
02-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Seriously, the more I think of this, the more I like it for the Suns....
Shaq
Amare
Hill
Tinker Bell
Nash

Off the bench:
Barbosa
Skinner
The Polish Rifle

not much else....but if Shaq's healthy he could provide them with at least a clog in the lane. Still no match for the Lakers.

NBA Junkie
02-06-2008, 01:50 AM
No guarantee that Shaq passes his physical.

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Maybe Bowen can trip Shaq in transition and Shaq will fall on Grant Hill in the process.

OH F-CK!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DazedAndConfused
02-06-2008, 02:06 AM
I agree that Shaq may bring some balance and defense to their lineup, but this is the damn Suns we are talking about. To accomodate Shaq they are gonna need to change their entire offensive philosophy. This trade makes absolutely no sense unless they plan on firing Dantoni ASAP.

bostonguy
02-06-2008, 02:12 AM
I bet the Mavs are the next team with the big move. Wont matter though. I like the Lakers or Spurs coming out of the west this season.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-06-2008, 02:14 AM

This is a crazy season.

So Shaq's back in the West for a couple years?

bostonguy
02-06-2008, 02:18 AM
The Suns ought to trade Diaw if possible. However his contract is pretty big.

SenorSpur
02-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Shaq is a sorry, fat ass. Sure he's widely respected by most all players and is seemingly a joy to be around. But he's got contradictions in his prinicples and chinks in his armor.

He doesn't mind hoarding the lionshare of the salary (20mil per season), but he doesn't feel compelled to keep himself in proper physical condition.

Now he needs this trade to get motivated to play again.

He likes to refer to himself as the "son of a military man" and how he "learned self-discipline" growing up with his stepfather. OK. Where is it?

If he really wanted to be a team player, he'd realize he's no longer a productive player and he'd either give the team so financial relief or simply retire after this season.

DazedAndConfused
02-06-2008, 02:21 AM
It's not even a matter of motivation. Shaq is just not there physically.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-06-2008, 02:26 AM
ESPN News is now reporting the Suns have agreed to the deal.

bostonguy
02-06-2008, 02:27 AM
It's not even a matter of motivation. Shaq is just not there physically.

See that is what I dont get. Shaq is a shadow of himself in all aspects of the game. Miami might have a realistic chance of keeping Wade afterall for the long haul. I dont see them keeping Marion after this year or next year. He is almost 30 and isnt in their future plans. Only way Marion bolts is via sign and trade. Marion wont opt out of a contract like that. Heat can use it for trade bait next year if they want to. They will have a good draft pick and cap room to build around Wade.

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 02:46 AM
2 things: I'll admit that Wilt Chamberlain had a renaissance in his later years that included a title, but Shaq isn't Wilt.

And can we consider this trade another casualty of the Pau Gasol deal?

KidCongo
02-06-2008, 02:48 AM
this is fucked

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 02:50 AM
And for those of you who may have already seen this, I'm sorry, but this is what Chris Broussard wrote on ESPN (insider only).

I think he has some great points and it's probably the best written opinion I've seen yet.

The Shaq deal: Some reasons why

My first thought was, "That's ridiculous! There's no way the Suns would trade for Shaq.''

With all due respect to The Diesel, he's just not what he used to be. And he's not worth $40 million over the next two years.

Then I began calling around and speaking with folks in the know. Here's what I was told:

"It's close to a done deal,'' said someone with knowledge of the Suns' thinking.

"I think it's going to happen,'' said someone else with knowledge of the Suns' thinking.

"Why?'' I cried. "I can't see one benefit to adding Shaq.''

Here's what I was told:

First, the Suns don't think they can win it all as currently constructed. Their lack of big, physical players scares the daylights out of them when they look at a Lakers frontline that features Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom (not to mention Ronny Turiaf).

I was told the Suns got word that Dallas was trying to trade for Shaq (in large part to combat the new-look Lakers' behemoth front line) and that that is what set this Phoenix-Miami deal in motion.

Afraid of what a Dallas team that featured Shaq, Dirk and Josh Howard would look like, the Suns have swept in and attempted to steal Shaq from the Mavericks.

I was also told that the locker room chemistry between Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire had gotten too negative to bear. No fighting, no yelling, just a bad vibe.

"But financially, it seems disastrous,'' I said.

In actuality, it's not that bad. Marion was owed more than $17 million next year, and he would have been foolish to opt out of that deal because no one else could have or would have paid him that much. Add in Marcus Banks' $4.1 million, and the Suns are actually saving money by paying Shaq $20 million.

Banks has two more years after next at almost $10 million total, so adding Shaq would cost the Suns about $10 million in the long run. That still doesn't jibe with owner Robert Sarver's cost-cutting mandate, but it's not as bad as I first thought.

Basketball-wise, the Suns believe the positives are this:

1. Shaq will give them the big, physical presence they sorely lack on both ends of the floor.

2. Shaq will enable Amare Stoudemire to play his true and preferred position of power forward, which will make Amare more effective, possibly increasing his scoring and rebounding numbers.

3. Steve Nash will make Shaq a bigger scorer than he currently is in Miami because of his ability to create easy baskets for the big fella. Plus, the Suns' 3-point shooting ability will open things up for Shaq inside.

4. The Suns can still run with Shaq because you don't need all five players sprinting upcourt to run a fastbreak.

The Suns aren't completely sold though.

I'm told that Amare wants the deal to happen and spoke extensively with Shaq on the telephone Tuesday night.

I'm told that Nash has some apprehension, but he's weighing the pros and cons. I'm told Coach Mike D'Antoni has even more apprehension, and that there are questions as to whether he can coach the team in a way that will utilize Shaq's abilities.

I'm told new president Steve Kerr thinks adding Shaq is a great opportunity for the Suns organization.

Personally, I wouldn't make this trade if I were the Suns. While they don't look dominant out West, the truth is that nobody looks dominant out West. They are one of four or five teams with a legitimate chance of winning the conference title.

I would give this core of Stoudemire, Nash and Marion one more shot before blowing it up.

While I understand the notion of Shaq adding a big, physical presence, I don't know that you can count on him to do that at his age (he'll turn 36 on March 6).

First, I think he could get in huge foul trouble because of Nash's inability to contain dribble penetration. And secondly, I don't know that Shaq will even be healthy most of the time.

I do like the idea of Dallas adding Shaq because I don't think they'd rely on him as much. I think he'd be a more effective version of Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop. But I think the Suns will need more out of him than Dallas would.

I think Grant Hill and Boris Diaw can make up for Marion's offense, but defensively, the Suns will miss The Matrix.

I agree that Shaq's presence will make Stoudemire better, and that he will not stop the Suns from running fast breaks. He'll slow down their halfcourt offense, but with all those shooters around him, he should be more effective.

After speaking with these "folks in the know,'' I can see some pluses to adding Shaq to the Suns.

But I still wouldn't do it.

freedom&justice
02-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Bad move, I'd say. Shaq isn't worth the money he's being paid, and he's constantly injured. Just a bad return on investment. If Marion wants out so bad, I'm pretty sure Phoenix can get more than an over-the-hill Snaq for him.

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Next, Suns are trading Amare for Jeremey Shockey.

sribb43
02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Dumb' Toni must be pissed right now bc here comes in a first year GM in Kerr blowing up what he has implimented the past 4 years telling him this isnt gonna work im trading marion for a 1-legged shaq who is 35 going on 36.

DazedAndConfused
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
PHX should have went after a more mobile C like Andres Biedrens. He would be the perfect fit for them.

LakeShow
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
:lmao

Chucho
02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Who are you kidding?

Well since everyone on these boards love the useless PER rating, Hollinger busted out some other stat that showed who kept their assigned man to the lowest FG % sometime last year in the Mag. And you know who finished 1st? Shawn Marion.

And if I had to rank the best defenders it would go: 1. Camby 2. LBJ 3. Marion.
I'm not kidding anyone, just coming with the truth.

JackArse
02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
honestly, i have no idea what to think about this. after d'antoni started hill in the last game against the bobcats instead of diaw, i considered teh season over at that point.. even they they were ahead by 20+ points nearly the whole 2nd half, i couldn't enjoy it, because he was too stubborn to realize what was working. even hill told him not to worry about bringing him off the bench. everything was working fine. so that already started off the rest of this for me.

marion, cya.. he's a good player, but complained too much and couldn't make his own shot. he was a good scrapper and a good defender. he is also losing his athleticism quite a bit, and it's shown alot in the last month or so. he's been going out and throwing up a lot of single pt/rb games. now i understand if you hwave one and not the other, but for both to be there for what he's getting paid, he's losing it. he's got joe johnson syndrome. he wants to be noticed and he wants to get paid. you'll get noticed in miami BEHIND wade. at least he can party now. he also wasn't going to opt out next year, he won't find another contract for more than 12 per year.

shaq.. i.. just don't know. if he's healthy (yes, big if) he's dominant. this does somewhat shore up the defense overall though. before the entire team was relying on the double team switch motion defense. this allows for more man on man defense which i think they need to be at. also, riley's practices are hard, and therefore hard on someone like shaq. phx has very easy practices which help save him more for game time. also, they have the best med staff in the league. i really think that nash is dead right now and amare had his right knee removed.. but they're so good, you can't tell.