PDA

View Full Version : Shaq to PHX, Gasol to LAX, will the Spurs counter this?

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Can Duncan single handedly outplay Gasol/Bynum and Amare/Shaq?

Thinks about it, Elson and Oberto are non factors on the boards and Duncan has been having monster rebounding games just for the Spurs to stay in the rb game

now I don't want to bring up you-know-who (see sig), but what can the Spurs do to counter this? Signing Damon was a great pick up but it's not going to stop the Spurs from getting killed on the boards by these 2 teams

remingtonbo2001
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Counter what?!?

:rolleyes Hmmm...I don't know Gasol is one of the best PF's in the game

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Salim?

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Salim?

I meant Damon

Joe Schmoogins
02-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Ian is the answer.

Spurms Chumps
02-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Ian is the answer.

Bwahahahahahaha!

BonnerDynasty
02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Can Duncan single handedly outplay Gasol/Bynum and Amare/Shaq?

Thinks about it, Elson and Oberto are non factors on the boards and Duncan has been having monster rebounding games just for the Spurs to stay in the rb game

now I don't want to bring up you-know-who (see sig), but what can the Spurs do to counter this? Signing Damon was a great pick up but it's not going to stop the Spurs from getting killed on the boards by these 2 teams

Hahahaha. Are you implying that Duncan/Scola could have competed with Amare/Shaq :lmao

dbreiden83080
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Amare/Shaq is funny since dumping MArion for him is retarded. Gasol/Bynum worries me more.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Scola = Shaq

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Hahahaha. Are you implying that Duncan/Scola could have competed with Amare/Shaq :lmao

Argentinians tend to be pretty good with Duncan, but let's not turn this into a Scola thread

maybe Spurs move for Ron Artest, and is PJ Brown still a FA?

Capt Bringdown
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Do you think Steve Smith would be available? Terry Porter? Ice?

Manu's Bald Spot
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Wouldn't we want to play big against these guys? I know we're pretty good at smallball, but I feel like we have enough bigs next to duncan to counter (granted, elson/bonner/horry/oberto aren't on any of these guys level individually). While the Suns have beaten us before grinding it out, I'm not sure the Suns would want to slow it down and sport a big lineup. The lakers would be tougher, but has it gotten to the point where we're better at small ball? I wouldn't like to think so.

Whisky Dog
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
This does bring up the interesting question about the Spurs front line. Will Oberto revert to 2007 playoffs Oberto? That would be an absolute necessity for the Spurs to win another title or even come out of the west if they don't add some frontcourt help before the deadline.

timmy21_4rings
02-05-2008, 11:57 PM
The person (Oberto/Elson) continue to guard Stat just like they do most of the time. Duncan will guard Shaq. No need to bring anyone. Suns should worry about guarding TP after Marion is gone. Spurs do not need to worry abt anything.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-06-2008, 12:02 AM
The person (Oberto/Elson) continue to guard Stat just like they do most of the time. Duncan will guard Shaq. No need to bring anyone. Suns should worry about guarding TP after Marion is gone. Spurs do not need to worry abt anything.

Duncan doesn't usaully guard Shaq for fear of picking up fouls, with Amare and Shaq, then Duncan is in real trouble because Elson/Oberto will get KILLED

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Bonner will be able to hack a shaq.

DazedAndConfused
02-06-2008, 12:06 AM
If this trade goes down I'll be happier than when we got Gasol.

I have no idea what PHX is thinking bringing in Shaq. He's fat, out of shape, injured, slow, and worst of all costs $20 mil a year. Marion is their glue guy too, more valuable then they think.

Cry Havoc
02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Duncan doesn't usaully guard Shaq for fear of picking up fouls, with Amare and Shaq, then Duncan is in real trouble because Elson/Oberto will get KILLED

Without Marion, who do the Suns have that's going to hurt us on the outside? Bowen on Nash, Parker and Manu on the wings. Play Oberto on Stat and have our players double down to help. Amare is not a great passer out of a double team, he's too aggressive and won't look for the open man soon enough. Bruce shuts down Nash, Duncan on Shaq at this point in Diesel's career would be a push. And Shaq will either be playing offense or defense -- he isn't fast enough to play both in the current Suns system. And since they SUCK at half court ball, it would take them a year + to get into a rhythm there.

ChumpDumper
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Elson/Oberto will get KILLEDQuit being such a drama queen. Elson lasted 35 minutes and only got 2 fouls the last time we played against Shaq. He also got 14 rebounds to Shaq's 3.

RC's Boss
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Has anyone looked at Marions rebounding numbers compared to Shaq WTF?!?!?!?!?! Shaq doesn't rebound. PHX will surely suck, do you not have eyes?!?!?!

RC's Boss
02-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Quit being such a drama queen. Elson lasted 35 minutes and only got 2 fouls the last time we played against Shaq. He also got 14 rebounds to Shaq's 3.
Rational has left the building w/ some of them :lol

daslicer
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
People panic when they hear all-star names or former legends get traded. This isn't the Shaq from Orlando, LA, or even Miami from 2 years ago. This broke down way past his prime Shaq. Shaq is going to slow the suns game down dramatcially. Their perimeter becomes a lot slower without Marion's athlethecism which leads to it being easier to defend it.

Gasol is a good player but I don't fear the Lakers. That team has too many young inexperienced young guys to do any damage this year. They are still atleast 2 years away from contending for a title with the team they have. Hell the Lakers during the late 90's had the best talent in the whole league right after the bulls with Shaq,Eddie Jones, Kobe, NVE, Ceballos, Campbell,Fox,Dfish, and still couldn't win shit for 4 years until they retooled the tam. Talent doesn't equal championships in this league; you have gotta to have talent+experience to win titles. None of those guys are battle tested outside of Kobe,Dfish.

timmy21_4rings
02-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Shaq is not Most Dominant Ever anymore. Thats why I think Duncan could be successful against Shaq.

remingtonbo2001
02-06-2008, 12:36 AM
People panic when they hear all-star names or former legends get traded. This isn't the Shaq from Orlando, LA, or even Miami from 2 years ago. This broke down way past his prime Shaq. Shaq is going to slow the suns game down dramatcially. Their perimeter becomes a lot slower without Marion's athlethecism which leads to it being easier to defend it.

Gasol is a good player but I don't fear the Lakers. That team has too many young inexperienced young guys to do any damage this year. They are still atleast 2 years away from contending for a title with the team they have. Hell the Lakers during the late 90's had the best talent in the whole league right after the bulls with Shaq,Eddie Jones, Kobe, NVE, Ceballos, Campbell,Fox,Dfish, and still couldn't win shit for 4 years until they retooled the tam. Talent doesn't equal championships in this league; you have gotta to have talent+experience to win titles. None of those guys are battle tested outside of Kobe,Dfish.

:tu Your common sense would be greatly appreciated over at the NBA sect of ST.

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 12:40 AM

It's true. The second I see "Amare/Shaq" I get a bad feeling. It's hard seeing a legend grouped with Black Jesus of the 21st century and remembering Shaq isn't Shaq.

ehz33satx
02-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Amare/Shaq is funny since dumping MArion for him is retarded. Gasol/Bynum worries me more.

So all of a sudden Shaq is going to be a better rebounder than Marion? Not going to happen. Shaq is a has been. Let him go to the Suns. He won't be able to keep up with their running game. Do it Suns! Do it!

peskypesky
02-06-2008, 12:49 AM
If this trade goes down I'll be happier than when we got Gasol.

I have no idea what PHX is thinking bringing in Shaq. He's fat, out of shape, injured, slow, and worst of all costs $20 mil a year. Marion is their glue guy too, more valuable then they think.

Jesus I hate to have to agree with you, but you're right. The Lakers' acquisition of Gasol for next to nothing is just obscenely unfair to the rest of the West. The Suns' acquisition of Shaq at the price of Marion is obscenely stupid.

Man In Black
02-06-2008, 12:49 AM
All those other moves were made to COUNTER the Spurs SPAM Dominance. C-O-H-E-S-I-O-N is the Spurs best friend and none of those other teams will be able to do that better because, they just don't have the time or the veteran know-how.

hsxvvd
02-06-2008, 01:04 AM
It seems to me like this is the Lakers and Phoenix countering our 4 championships!

The ball all seemed to get rolling when we snatched up Stoudamire, Laker then trade for Gasol and Phoenix's loss to us with-out Parker has clearly rang alarm bells, add to the fact they didn't get Damon and they all seem panicked to beat us.

Worse case scenario, this all just makes it so much easier for us to dominate for the remainder of the Duncan Era :king

SenorSpur
02-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Duncan is our do-everything post player. He's virtually had no help all season long. When the Gasol trade went down, I immediately thought how nice it would be if Splitter and Mahinmi were seasoned and ready to go. Tim needs help defending the post, rebounding and protecting the rim. For the first time, he appears to be alone.

T Park
02-06-2008, 01:29 AM
maybe Spurs move for Ron Artest

So Ron Artest the chemistry killer puts em past Phoenix and LA?

Genius.

Keep it comin Mrs. Scola.

T Park
02-06-2008, 01:33 AM
For the first time, he appears to be alone.

So Oberto is now a horrible post defender?

Got it.

ata
02-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Barry and Elson for Rasho

Just teasing ;)

hsxvvd
02-06-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm thinking small ball is the answer here.

I've hated it all along, but I can't see Gasol or Stoudamire enjoying having to gaurd Udoka on the perimeter, and that should alone, make it easier for Duncan to operate 1 on 1 on Bynum and Shaq, or leave our shooters open at your own risk.

It's hilarious to see all these teams posturing to beat us, and Pop has already been working on the evolution of the team before other teams can beat the 07 spurs!

Joe Schmoogins
02-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Pop's a G

Medvedenko
02-06-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm thinking small ball is the answer here.

I've hated it all along, but I can't see Gasol or Stoudamire enjoying having to gaurd Udoka on the perimeter, and that should alone, make it easier for Duncan to operate 1 on 1 on Bynum and Shaq, or leave our shooters open at your own risk.

It's hilarious to see all these teams posturing to beat us, and Pop has already been working on the evolution of the team before other teams can beat the 07 spurs!

small ball eh....yeah that works for the suns.....

Bynum
Pau
Odom
Kobe
Fish

The spurs will be the team adjusting to us, not the other way around. Oh, and we can play small ball as well, no worries there.

Pau
Odom
Ariza
Kobe
Farmar

Experience and chemistry is what the spurs have and that will be it's biggest strength. I can't wait until our teams meet, if they do at all. I still think we're 1 year away though from serious contention.

hsxvvd
02-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Pau :lol
Odom :lol
Ariza :lol
Kobe :lol
Farmar :lol

hsxvvd
02-06-2008, 02:15 AM
OK, now that I've gotten myself off the floor, you've got to be kidding me!

That line-up isn't quick and can't shoot!!! That doesn't really work, that's just an undersized line-up.

But please, pass your knowledge on to Phil for me.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I think with Gasol the Lakers are CLEARLY better then the Suns, the Suns can't play small ball against the Lakers starting 5 w/o getting abused

the Gasol trade worries me a lot more because the Lakers have always given the Spurs a lot of trouble, now with Gasol it's going to be much worse. and Bowen has been going down hill this season big time, so he won't do much against Kobe

Taco
02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Re: Shaq to PHX, Gasol to LAX, will the Spurs counter this?

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/b/b0/Larry_obrien_championship.jpghttp://hoopedia.nba.com/images/b/b0/Larry_obrien_championship.jpghttp://hoopedia.nba.com/images/b/b0/Larry_obrien_championship.jpghttp://hoopedia.nba.com/images/b/b0/Larry_obrien_championship.jpg + http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/b/b0/Larry_obrien_championship.jpg

picnroll
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh, and we can play small ball as well, no worries there.

I didn't know Medvedenko was still playing for the Lakers.

jmard5
02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
You gotta be kidding me. Shaq can't keep up with the Suns. They should have traded for a more mobile big man.

Shaq can't chase all those long rebounds all game.
Suns are not setup for half court offense.

wildbill2u
02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Here's our counter: On offense Run Shaq into the ground and play 5 on 4 while the Suns wait for Shaq to get down the court.

On defense: get back in transition, play 5 on 4 again and force the Suns into a grind it out half court team.

This trade looks like it will change the character of the Suns by slowing their offense down.

Extra Stout
02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
No surprises here; Spurs Dynasty 21 is just quitting on the team he is supposed to quit on.

NASpurs
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
No surprises here; Spurs Dynasty 21 is just quitting on the team he is supposed to quit on.Of course. He's the biggest fairweather fan on this board.

MoSpur
02-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm still laughing at Marion getting to play in Miami. That's what he gets for complaining. He gets to play with White Chocolate and Ricky Davis.

Cherry
02-06-2008, 10:18 AM

:tu

Rummpd
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Bring back Rasho - seriously he was a good defender and has fallen out of favor in Toronto and also had more offensive game (at least when Duncan not on floor) than Elston!

Rummpd
02-06-2008, 10:24 AM
All these teams are trying to counter Spurs - face it all you Suns and Lakers fans - you cannot put three players as good as Parker, Manu and Duncan + any defender that can hold a lick to Bowen and his new side kick Ime. No combination of Suns or Lakers can play total *** kicking defense like Spurs - end of discussion.

Spurs healthy no worries, Gasol = SOFT - Shaq - past his prime, and as good as Nash is he cannot hold a candle to Wade in the 4th quarter of a tight game!

MoSpur
02-06-2008, 10:25 AM
What was Phoenix thinking? Shaq still has this season and two more of $20 million.

MoSpur
02-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Marion was only owed $16 million this season and $17 next, but had a player option.

genomefreak13
02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
The spurs better think of something fast. As of the moment, shaq is scheduled to fly to Phoenix to undergo an MRI test. If he pass...Marion and banks are going for an early vacation.

hsxvvd
02-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Lakers lost to Atlanta! :lol

DazedAndConfused
02-07-2008, 02:51 AM
What's your point? We still don't have Bynum or Ariza back, the team is not even close to full strength.

ATL has beaten DAL, PHX, NOH, DEN, and UTA this season. They aren't a bad team like the Seattle Supersonics, I mean who could lose to that team?

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Hey Dazed,

just curious.

Why must you think you can talk shit in a Spurs forum?

Tone it down kiddo.

RADECK
02-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Good for Spurs. Good for Heat, bad for Suns!

J.T.
02-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Why do the Spurs need to counter these trades? We have a little more depth at the 1 now with Stoudamire. . . Beno and Vaughn coming off the bench has been the thorn in the Spurs' ass for the last few seasons, although Vaughn did show some hustle in the playoffs last year, along with the long 3 the Spurs FO seems to have no interest in finding. I mean the Spurs won a championship last season and the most effort they put into it was checking Nash's flimsy bod into the scorers table. Look at the minutes played on the boxscores from May and June last year. If the Spurs had shortened their rotation and played their main playmakers top minutes, we would have destroyed everyone we played. And that's saying a lot considering we pretty much did that anyway.

You would think Spursfan would figure it out by now that the Spurs have won four championships not by trading for [insert distrungtled All-Star that won't win a title on his new team] but by finding players that work hard and play defense. Now we have some guys on the team that are not known for defense, but you gotta give the Spurs organization credit for turning players who played Nash style defense before they came to SA into players who can come off the bench and help us win games.

If the Spurs drank the Kool Aid every January and blew up the team we'd have about two less rings than we do and no one would give a fuck about the Spurs after Duncan retires. Instead you have a dynasty so kindly STFU.

hsxvvd
02-07-2008, 04:44 AM
What's your point? We still don't have Bynum or Ariza back, the team is not even close to full strength.

ATL has beaten DAL, PHX, NOH, DEN, and UTA this season. They aren't a bad team like the Seattle Supersonics, I mean who could lose to that team?

If only your team could be as defensive as your reply.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2008, 05:12 AM
you lost to the hawks damn it....

the hawks