PDA

View Full Version : Trade done: Shaq to the Suns

Supergirl
02-06-2008, 07:16 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AicNfeYHRwixeodpRrCDAsi8vLYF?slug=aw-shaqtrade020608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Good analysis here. I tend to agree, the Suns have given up hope, and this trade will haunt them.

It's ironic, they gave up their best defender (Marion) for a guy who used to be able to clog the middle and rebound. But Shaq is a terrible defender, even in his heyday. There's a reason the guy has never been DPOY or even made the All-Defense team. And if any team needed their chemistry and lives and dies by its chemistry, it's the Suns.

The Suns have officially thrown in the towel.

MrChug
02-06-2008, 07:50 AM
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now guys with the Suns out of the way all we have to worry about are the Mavs and Hornets but I also think that the Lakers will jell come April and May.

THANK YOU PHOENIX F/O!!!! :santahat

Shred
02-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah, they really could have helped themselves out more by signing Damon Stoudamire.

Seriously, though, throwing in the towel???

MrChug
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Know much about basketball?

Apparantly not. See if you're successful. Good luck...you'll need it ;-)

to21
02-06-2008, 08:34 AM
:lmao

The Suns will unveil their new system in a few days. Let four guys run up and down the floor, while one fat one stays back for the snowbird.

Marklar MM
02-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I wonder if they got the memo that Shaq can't run anymore without oxygen breaks.

Armando
02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I say this I do have doubts about this deal but............ Chemistry hopefully should improve now that Marion and Stoudemire are no longer teammates. Secondly Nash will figure it out how to get Shaq involved after he made Tim Thomas look like an All Star caliber in Thomas's year in Phoenix. Plus Shaq would help in playoffs when the game slows down. Double team who? Leave Nash and Barbosa alone at the 3 point line to double Shaq? Leave Amare unguarded? Lets see how it fits.

1Parker1
02-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Ohh man, can you imagine a Suns vs Lakers playoff series now?!?! :lol

samikeyp
02-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah, they really could have helped themselves out more by signing Damon Stoudamire.

Seriously, though, throwing in the towel???

Hey now, Phoenix wanted him too. :)

I do think that this moves seriously hampers the Suns chances. That team is built to run and gun, Shaq is built to stumble and heave.

VaSpursFan
02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
i knew the gasol trade would cause phoenix to shit bricks, i expect dallas to make a panic trade next. unless d'antoni changes his offensive philosophy, this trade makes no sense. shaq is a half-court player, there is no way he play run and gun ball at this point in his career. i really don't see any upside with this trade.

samikeyp
02-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I think Dallas will now pull the trigger on the Jason Kidd deal. Not a bad one for them and certainly not as desperate a move as what Phx did.

hater
02-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I did not beleive this so I had to check ESPN.

I am shocked. It sounds like a bad dream for sun fan

lefty
02-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe the Suns want to play more half-court basketball, because the run and gun + older Steve Nash are catching up.

:wtf

LoserDynasty
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
We're just gonna make excuses like we always do.

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
^ :lmao

monosylab1k
02-06-2008, 09:53 AM
what an insane trade.

7 Seconds Or Less? Shaq won't get to halfcourt in 7 seconds or less.

samikeyp
02-06-2008, 09:53 AM
We're just gonna make excuses like we always do.

We will just make the excuses we are supposed to make.

:lol

lefty
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
what an insane trade.

7 Seconds Or Less? Shaq won't get to halfcourt in 7 seconds or less.

By the time Shaq gets to the opponent's basket, 3 possessions will have been run.

Supergirl
02-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I really just can't believe the Suns would do this, esp midseason. They're still #1 in the West, did they forget that? This move just reeks of panic. Yikes.

lefty
02-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I really just can't believe the Suns would do this, esp midseason. They're still #1 in the West, did they forget that? This move just reeks of panic. Yikes.

Just because a depleted Spurs team beat tham on their home floor.

Knee-jerk reaction :dizzy

lurker
02-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I was expecting a Phoenix meltdown after they lost to the Spurs, but I didn't think their meltdown would include acquiring an old, out of shape, injured center.

ancestron
02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
This is madness!

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
ESPN keeps saying they might have done this to keep Dallas from getting Diesel?

lurker
02-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't buy that. You don't ruin your team just to keep another team from ruining theirs. :lol

Dex
02-06-2008, 10:31 AM
So it's official.

The Phoenix Suns organization officially has no idea what it's doing.

Apparently they think this is NBA2k8 or something.

phyzik
02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't buy that. You don't ruin your team just to keep another team from ruining theirs. :lol

exactly what I was thinking :lmao

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Might as well trade for Eli Manning.

Indazone
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Prediction

Shaq runs with the Suns for about 10 games. Decides the game isn't fun anymore. Shaq retires early leaving the Suns with a big gaping hole at Center.

Stargazer
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Prediction

Shaq runs with the Suns for about 10 games. Decides the game isn't fun anymore. Shaq retires early leaving the Suns with a big gaping hole at Center.

If only. At least that way we'd get our $20 million back next season and could get another player. This is just crazy -- if you have $40 million to spend over the next two years, is Shaq really the best you can do?

gmanrulz
02-06-2008, 12:32 PM
where does it say the trade is done?

duncan228
02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
where does it say the trade is done?

I'm not finding anything that says it's actually done yet.

Everything says it will be done pending the physical on Shaq which is supposed to be happening today.

LakeShow
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
The Suns have to have something else in mind. This can't be the only move. I thought that it wouldn't be anyone that dumb to pay shaq 20 million for the next 2 years, but I was wrong. The Phoenix suns are that Dumb! Shaq is aging, can't jump or run and always hurt. The Heat were in last place with Shaq and Wade in the east, how in the hell do you think they'll do in the west?

The Lakers are shaking up the league and the Suns have Bowed Down! :yield Next up, the Mavs! :lol

Sportcamper
02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey, hey, hey,
Shaq still can play…
Maybe not every day,
Mostly day-to-day,
But the real season don't start 'till May.
Hey, hey, hey.
http://www.juneauempire.com/images/102802/shaq.jpg

spursRgay
02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
This is madness!

Madness? THIS IS PHOENIX!!!

BillsCarnage
02-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Madness? THIS IS PHOENIX!!!

Get yer own material.

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm speechless. I don't know what to say. You can't reap big rewards unless you take big risks... but those can also be big failures.

Until we see him on the court, we don't know if this is good or bad... but wow.

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0206shaqlatest.html

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
There's still one problem that remains and another that is opened. Who will be the quality backup PG that can shoot and who will defend quicker players like Tony Parker?

I'd like to see Chris Quinn and/or Udonis Haslem.

ludda
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Didnt' Snaq say that Nash's MVPs were "tainted"? :lol

Thats a start in upgrading the chemistry.

Vinny Del Negro
02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
I'd like to see Chris Quinn

Desperation mode is now official. This may go down as the most hilarious trade in nba history. Over/under on how many games played before Shaq passes out on the court from oxygen deprivation: 4

:downspin: :downspin: :hungry: :downspin: :downspin:

mardigan
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
There's still one problem that remains and another that is opened. Who will be the quality backup PG that can shoot and who will defend quicker players like Tony Parker?

I'd like to see Chris Quinn and/or Udonis Haslem.
Bell can guard Parker, and I really think if Mike would ever play Strawberry he could do a good job on Tony, kid is quick and athletic.
The more I think about this trade, the more I think Phoenix might have just traded themselves into the Finals.

mardigan
02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Desperation mode is now official. This may go down as the most hilarious trade in nba history. Over/under on how many games played before Shaq passes out on the court from oxygen deprivation: 4

:downspin: :downspin: :hungry: :downspin: :downspin:
You dont need 5 guys running a fastbreak, Shaq just needs to make good outlet passes.
Shaq is also one of the best passing bigmen in history, he will find all kinds of people open.

BillsCarnage
02-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Bell can guard Parker, and I really think if Mike would ever play Strawberry he could do a good job on Tony, kid is quick and athletic.
The more I think about this trade, the more I think Phoenix might have just traded themselves into the Finals.

With Banks out of the picture, hopefully DJ will get some more PT.

monosylab1k
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I really don't see how this trade does anything but severely debilitate the Suns run-n-gun game. This isn't even 2-years-ago Shaq who was pretty decent but nothing special. This is full blown "my career ended a year ago" Shaq.

But you never know. I see it being a colossal failure...but if it does indeed work out, Steve Kerr is definitely a genius.

TheNextGen
02-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I say this I do have doubts about this deal but............ Chemistry hopefully should improve now that Marion and Stoudemire are no longer teammates. Secondly Nash will figure it out how to get Shaq involved after he made Tim Thomas look like an All Star caliber in Thomas's year in Phoenix. Plus Shaq would help in playoffs when the game slows down. Double team who? Leave Nash and Barbosa alone at the 3 point line to double Shaq? Leave Amare unguarded? Lets see how it fits.

DOUBLE TEAM SHAQ? lol...its 2008 buddy :smokin

LakeShow
02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't see the Suns winning with this deal. Now that they traded Marion it will put extra pressure on Nash to guard his man. Marion used to guard the point guard at times because Nash is weak on Defense, now it will be all up to Nash to guard the PG's of the league. It wont happen! Even the average guards will give Nash fits. You can't put Bell on his man because he guards the SG, so nash will be on his own. Good luck with that!

Oh, Gee!!
02-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Mexican restaurants in Phoenix will report record profits this year

td4mvp21
02-06-2008, 05:35 PM
See, this season, this move doesn't scare me too much. Sure, it's another body in the middle, but Shaq is not the player he was offensively or defensively. I've seen numerous guards blow right by him for the layup. He'll probably still block some shots but I can't see him being a force. Offensively, the Spurs or any other team shouldn't even double him.

Cry Havoc
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Bell can guard Parker,

Wait... back up.... you lost me.

sprrs
02-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Annnnnd.....who guards Manu? Plus would DJ get enough minutes to guard Parker? Seems like Grant Hill would be starting now in place of Marion, which means he'll wear out faster.

JamStone
04-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Not that the Suns are going to win the championship or anything, but just interesting to read some of the initial reactions to the Shaq trade by fans...

JMarkJohns
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I'll admit that I was flabbergasted at the news of the trade. I thought he'd help as much as he hurt. In some cases such is the case, like vs. pic-n-roll teams, but he's helped vs. the majority of teams, largely because of his ability to defend a Duncan for the majority of Duncan's minutes, and because he's a legit box-out rebounder with size and athleticism, albeit declining.

There's still serious issues, but he helps. Like you I'm not convinced it's enough to win the Title without some serious luck, but they weren't going to do any better with Marion.

Allanon
04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Annnnnd.....who guards Manu? Plus would DJ get enough minutes to guard Parker? Seems like Grant Hill would be starting now in place of Marion, which means he'll wear out faster.

Apparently, having Shaq in the middle is enough to guard Manu, Parker and Duncan all at the same time.

http://www.nba.com/games/20080409/PHXSAS/recap.html

BillsCarnage
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
There's still serious issues, but he helps. Like you I'm not convinced it's enough to win the Title without some serious luck, but they weren't going to do any better with Marion.

JM, any team in the west is going to need some luck based on how competitive it is. But, the initial doom and gloom appears to be for not.

Since they started clicking they've only had two bad game - to me - and those were games they burped up in the 4th Q; Utah and Dallas. They had healthy leads after 3 and some how managed to go all E*trade baby in the 4th Q.

That's the one thing that concerns me still is their 4th Q defense. Zone D generally doesn't work in the NBA, but maybe for the Suns it does w/ Shaq in the middle.

Findog
04-10-2008, 12:33 PM
With all of the focus on the West, and it will probably take 18-21 games to come out of the West, Boston or Detroit will cruise into the Finals only needing about 14-16 games to get there. I expect the East team to win the title this year.

BillsCarnage
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
With all of the focus on the West, and it will probably take 18-21 games to come out of the West, Boston or Detroit will cruise into the Finals only needing about 14-16 games to get there. I expect the East team to win the title this year.

Don't count out Detroit. And, if Boston were to meet up with the Wizards that series could go 7 games. The east will have a much easier path in the 1st round, but after that it could get tougher.