PDA

View Full Version : Explain to Me...[re. Shaq]

Shred
02-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Putting aside age/injury issues, and assuming Shaq (and teammates) play up to current ability*, please explain why if (a) the Suns can not win a championship playing "up tempo," "fast-break," offensive-oriented basketball because they have no defensive presence in the middle and lack rebounding, then (b) once the Suns bring in a defensive presence in the middle and improve their rebounding, they can not win a championship. Is it because the up tempo game is their only identity, and they can not be successful in any other mode?

*Which also means that they are not relying on Shaq to hit a couple of FTs to win a Game 7.

101A
02-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Ummm.

It's not <= 2006?

The Suns STILL don't have a defensive presence or considerable rebounding.

Extra Stout
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Putting aside age/injury issues, and assuming Shaq (and teammates) play up to current ability*, please explain why if (a) the Suns can not win a championship playing "up tempo," "fast-break," offensive-oriented basketball because they have no defensive presence in the middle and lack rebounding, then (b) once the Suns bring in a defensive presence in the middle and improve their rebounding, they can not win a championship. Is it because the up tempo game is their only identity, and they can not be successful in any other mode?

*Which also means that they are not relying on Shaq to hit a couple of FTs to win a Game 7.
I'm confused. Did the Suns acquire some player that gives them a defensive presence and improves their rebounding? I thought they just got a 36-year-old Shaq.

ElNono
02-06-2008, 10:32 AM
They actually got rid of their #1 defender and #2 scorer... go figure.

CubanMustGo
02-06-2008, 10:35 AM
D'Antoni has never coached anything besides a fast-paced running game, and his "coaching" there consists of "Let's go ... go ... go .. go !!!". I have no faith he can coach any other style.

Indazone
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
They have got to be figuring that Shaq will play 20-25 min a game. I don't see him playing anymore than that. They must have another plan.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
They have got to be figuring that Shaq will play 20-25 min a game. I don't see him playing anymore than that. They must have another plan.

one that involves the lottery?

kidding, but Kerr is running what little hope these guys had at a title right into the ground.

CubanMustGo
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
CIA Pop! He let Kerr go to Phoenix and lookie lookie ;-)

stretch
02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Basically, they gave away their best athlete, best rebounder, best defender, and their best all-around player who is one of the most versatile players in the NBA, away for a washed up Shaq.

Plus, I don't think a Shaq/Amare combo would be all that great. I think they would only get in each other's way and reduce the effectiveness of one another.

Whisky Dog
02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Shaq has either been fouling at a very high clip or has been getting abused on defense this season. He'll still give some paint scoring presence if he gets the ball enough to stay interested, but he's no longer a defensive force since his knees and mobility are shot.

hater
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
defensive presence????

LMAO have you been watching Shaq in the last couple of years?

baseline bum
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Shaq hasn't played defense since 2001. He hasn't been able to play defense since 2004.

some_user86
02-06-2008, 01:04 PM

I think they are planning on playing Diaw next Stoudamire when Shaq is resting for those minutes. In that aspect, it makes them slightly more versatile. When you want to run and gun, put Diaw in the game. When you want to slow it down, put Shaq in the game.

phx_13
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
when i first heard about it I was like what the fuck are the suns thinking shaq is fat,old,and can't run for shit,but then i started thinking about the pros and cons
the only real cons about this deal is shaqs health and the fact that he gets into foul trouble and then the pros were
Shaq doesn't need to run for the suns to play their uptempo style he only needs to feed off the rebound, which he does well
You only need 3 people running to get a fast break
then, if they are forced onto half-court shaq is a perfect addition he is gonna draw the double teams and it opens up more shots for the suns 3 point shooters

BillsCarnage
02-06-2008, 01:09 PM
CIA Pop! He let Kerr go to Phoenix and lookie lookie ;-)

Steve Kerr is to the Spurs what Kevin McKale is to Boston ;-)

JamStone
02-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Thing is, I don't think it's a good match for the Suns but, I don't think it's a horrible deal. Some already mentioned, I think some of the Suns players and management were getting sick of Marion's bitching. They didn't want Marion to pick up his option this summer, and now they're getting something for Marion now rather than losing him for nothing. With Grant Hill and Boris Diaw, and Amare playing more power forward, they got the forward positions covered. If Shaq just plays 24 minutes a game, he might be able to help them out against certain teams and they can run uptempo for the other 24 minutes. Look, I'm not saying it's a great deal for the Suns, but I don't think it's completely horrible all factors considered.

mardigan
02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Basically, they gave away their best athlete, best rebounder, best defender, and their best all-around player who is one of the most versatile players in the NBA, away for a washed up Shaq.

Plus, I don't think a Shaq/Amare combo would be all that great. I think they would only get in each other's way and reduce the effectiveness of one another.
They also gave away a whiney little bitch who was leaving after the year and who disapears in the playoffs for a 7-2 350 pound center who plays great in the playoffs and is a great teamate.

Shred
02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
They also gave away a whiney little bitch who was leaving after the year and who disapears in the playoffs for a 7-2 350 pound center who plays great in the playoffs and is a great teamate.

Amen (although the whiney part has really only been as of late).

baseline bum
02-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Yeah, Shaq was a monster in getting swept last season. :lol

mardigan
02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Shaq was a monster in getting swept last season. :lol
19, 8, and 2 on 56% shooting with a hurt Wade and no team around him, yeah, that was his fault alright. I love people pulling all this bullshit out of their asses

baseline bum
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
OK, then he was a monster in the 05 Finals?

mardigan
02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Um...so averaging only 19 points and 8 rebounds is dominate while getting swept by the Bulls who have no one that can come close to guarding shaq one on one? Wade was hurt so Shaq should have been the whole focal point of the offense and averaged at least 25 points per game against Chicago.

He is washed up and if you don't see that your an idiot!

Shaq goes from being the most dominate big man in the game to being benched against Dallas, while Alzono helps the heat win the title..to letting his team be swept last year and now this year he helped Miami to the worst record in the NBA while playing in the East.
He wasnt being guarded one on one. If your team had no other options the other team can focus on the one thing that can hurt them, and that was Shaq. He only averaged 14 shot attempts a game in the series. Shaq was double and triple teamed the whole series, and had no other player that could bail him out.
26, 14, and 3 blocks this year against Yao on 10-12 shooting. Yea, he's all washed up.

mardigan
02-06-2008, 03:20 PM
holy shit he has one great game this year...my lord why couldn't the Spurs sign him!!! I mean damn he is only lazy, fat and slow and a couple of months away from being 36 years old. And I forgot how clutch he is at the free throw line too. :toast
He's had other good games, I was just hoping that a decently smart bb fan would look at the fact that he was playing Yao, didnt even take that many shots, and plays on a shit team and would think to themselves, hmm, maybe he can still play a little when he wants. I obviously havent found a decently smart bb fan.
And who said anything about the Spurs signing him dumbass? I think most people are discussing him on the Suns. :toast

ehz33satx
02-06-2008, 03:26 PM
D'Antoni has never coached anything besides a fast-paced running game, and his "coaching" there consists of "Let's go ... go ... go .. go !!!". I have no faith he can coach any other style.

Faster! Faster! Tired is not in our vocabulary!

baseline bum
02-06-2008, 03:51 PM
He wasnt being guarded one on one. If your team had no other options the other team can focus on the one thing that can hurt them, and that was Shaq. He only averaged 14 shot attempts a game in the series. Shaq was double and triple teamed the whole series, and had no other player that could bail him out.
26, 14, and 3 blocks this year against Yao on 10-12 shooting. Yea, he's all washed up.

Shaq is washed up. He can't spin fast off his man anymore, he's lost all his agility and speed, he can't jump, he can't move his feet fast enough to stay in front of people, and he doesn't demand the hard doubles he used to even just two years ago, much less the defensive help he demanded in his glory days in LA, and so on. He's a shell of his former self, and he has been going downhill fast. You can't blame that sweep in Chicago on his teammates either. He had the same cast that won the title. Even with Wade only at 60%, an a great playoff performer like O'Neal should have at least made the series competive. It's not like the '06 Bulls were exactly the '86 Celtics or '01 Lakers or anything.