PDA

View Full Version : haha Hollinger on Suns Trade

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 10:19 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=ShaqSuns080206&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dShaqSuns080206

The Phoenix Suns have the best record in the Western Conference, a game and a half ahead of their closest rival. They have the best scoring margin in the conference, and the best offensive efficiency in the NBA. They're 8-2 in their past 10 games (while outscoring opponents by nine points per game). And the Suns have a slew of home games coming up because their early schedule was so road-heavy.

In other words, after 48 games they're in as good a position as they've ever been in to win their first conference title since Sir Charles and KJ did it 15 years ago.

And their solution? Blow it up!

The Suns are reportedly in negotiations to trade Shawn Marion -- a man everyone agrees is a vital cog in their attack because of his ability to run opponents into submission from the power forward spot -- for Shaquille O'Neal. (The Suns would include Marcus Banks.)

Good call. Clearly this Nash-Marion-Stoudamire nucleus isn't working out; they've won only 62 and 61 games the two years they were together. This year they were on pace for a meager 58, so I guess they thought it had run its course.

My first reaction to hearing reports about this deal was that I was being Punk'd. After that, I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1, and verified that the voice on the other end of the phone didn't belong to Orson Welles.

But there was no Ashton Kutcher, no Orson Welles, and the calendar says it's February.

Believe it or not, this is a real, live trade discussion that might actually happen. I'm not sure I've adequately conveyed my shock at this development, but suffice it to say nobody I've talked to finds it even remotely sensible.

Shaq may be the one player who is least capable of thriving in the Suns' system. Run the break? No, thank you. Set a high screen and dive to the cup? Maybe 10 years ago. Space the floor for 3s? Please.

He's 35 and out of shape; at the moment he's also hurt. Even when healthy, he's had difficulty staying out of foul trouble long enough to make an impact. While I'll grant that Shaq can still be an offensive force -- even with his struggles this year his PER is a very solid 18.17 -- he's toasted regularly on defense. And if you thought Marion complained about not getting shots, you ain't heard nothing yet.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that Marion had to go -- there have been mutterings about his attitude for quite a while -- you can't seriously tell me this was the best deal on the table.

While matching his $17 million contract is difficult, the fact that there's only a year and a half left on it means there are partners out there. Just thinking out loud, for instance, you'd think New Jersey would have taken Marion in a heartbeat for Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson, and the Andrei Kirilenko deal that was so heavily discussed before the season also would seem preferable.

Marion, by the way, hadn't let his dissatisfaction and his own offseason trade demand affect his play. His 20.25 PER nearly matches last year's 20.87, and he's made up for a reduction in shots by cutting his turnovers and increasing his assists.

But despite his performance they're trading him for an older, less effective player, and one who could not be more of a square peg in a round hole in their system.

And get this -- the deal will worsen their cap situation, too. Shaq is on the books for two years after this one at $20 million a pop, whereas Marion only has one year left at less money, and may opt out after this season. So in addition to messing up their own team, the Suns will be basically handing Pat Riley a big fat Get Out of Jail Free card.

In short, this deal feels like one of these movie scenes where the lead character has a plan and says, "It's crazy ... but it just might work!"

I'm not sure about the working part, but it's definitely crazy. I'm praying this trade doesn't really happen, because the Suns have been too entertaining for too long to screw up their title chances like this.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.

Thunder Dan
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
yeah it's a stupid trade. Why would you break up a good team to ad aging bones to your roster

ancestron
02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
This is madness!

RonMexico
02-06-2008, 10:46 AM
This trade is bordering on ridiculousness. Why have I supported this team so long?

I can't believe the Suns got stuck with Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion who are much more concerned with personal accolades than winning.

I know Shaq likes winning, but does he like it enough to will his broken body to another playoff run? Does he want to show the Lakers he can still beat Kobe one last time? If so, that's cool, but the Suns would still need to get a swingman who can defend players like Parker.

I would have liked Haslem.

sribb43
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Who knows when Shaq will return....2-3-4 weeks from that hip...im sure suns wont rush him back. So basically the suns will have the same team minus Marion for the next few weeks. Here is there schedule for the february... i see only 3 so called lock wins (sea, was, @memphis) the other games are against east/west powers and the suns have struggled with those teams. So coach D will probably be playing a 6-7 man rotation in the stretch and suns could go .500 this month but most of those games are at home. This trade only helps the Suns IF SHAQ IS HEALTHY AND THATS A BIG IF...if not, suns are screwed

Feb 6 New Orleans
Feb 8 Seattle
Feb 10 Washington
Feb 13 @ Golden State
Feb 14 Dallas
Feb 20 LA Lakers
Feb 22 Boston
Feb 24 Detroit
Feb 26 @ Memphis
Feb 27 @ New Orleans

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
It's funny b/c the Suns have had the same squad, same style of run n' gun (becoming somewhat better at def though), same big 60 W record for years now and they haven't won.

Hollinger makes it sound like record means everything and has no idea why the Suns would do this. Pretty sad drive-by media no thinking involved "analysis". That last bolded paragraph is particularly amusing.

O-Factor
02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Like I said before, Kerr is still a Spur at heart.

Its almost like hes working black ops over there for us.

BonnerDynasty
02-06-2008, 11:00 AM

If this ends up being a bust. we gotta send him a ring fo sho!

1Parker1
02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I think this trade has a lot more to do with Marion...I think he's been causing the Suns a lot more problems than what has been aired in the lockeroom. I wonder if Nash was on the bandwagon for this trade....

ATRAIN
02-06-2008, 11:14 AM

LOL yeah this trade is horrible and where is that loser da_suns_fan??

some_user86
02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
LOL yeah this trade is horrible and where is that loser da_suns_fan??

He went back here: http://arizonasportsfans.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

ATRAIN
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
LOL OMG are you serious

http://arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106311

Supergirl
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Who knows when Shaq will return....2-3-4 weeks from that hip...im sure suns wont rush him back. So basically the suns will have the same team minus Marion for the next few weeks. Here is there schedule for the february... i see only 3 so called lock wins (sea, was, @memphis) the other games are against east/west powers and the suns have struggled with those teams. So coach D will probably be playing a 6-7 man rotation in the stretch and suns could go .500 this month but most of those games are at home. This trade only helps the Suns IF SHAQ IS HEALTHY AND THATS A BIG IF...if not, suns are screwed

Feb 6 New Orleans
Feb 8 Seattle
Feb 10 Washington
Feb 13 @ Golden State
Feb 14 Dallas
Feb 20 LA Lakers
Feb 22 Boston
Feb 24 Detroit
Feb 26 @ Memphis
Feb 27 @ New Orleans

"Sun have the same team minus Marion" - this is an oxymoron. The Suns aren't the same team without Marion. He is possibly the most vital cog in their system, which is the most efficient offense in the league. Second only to Nash, in importance, and Marion's defense and ability to match up against anyone arguably makes him the MOST important cog.

Shred
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
This is allsome. So much talk about a guy who's supposed to be a non-factor. Oh, wait, I forgot--these threads are really about Shawn Marion. :rolleyes

hater
02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
funniest thing is the SUn fans are in the bandwagon LMAO

"in the last few years Shaq hasn't defended anything but a buffet table"

BillsCarnage
02-06-2008, 11:58 AM
This is madness!

This is PHOENIX

http://i29.tinypic.com/ev2jv7.jpg

Stargazer
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I just found out about this, and I'm just reeling. It's not just a seemingly terrible fit on the court, but how am I as a Suns fan supposed to soak this in emotionally? I've spent years looking forward to games against Shaq (and Yao) so that we can "run them off the court." Indeed, the Suns running style works best against a guy like Shaq. Now I'm supposed to root for him?

And it's even a bad fit aesthetically. We get a lot criticism (maybe deservedly so) from other teams because Suns fans are always talking about how fun the Suns are to watch because they play the "right way," etc. Finesse passing, great shooting, athleticism. Again, Shaq is the exact opposite of that - give him the ball, and let him turn around and dunk it in. That's not basketball.

Now I'm supposed to cheer for this?

Whisky Dog
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Now a 35 yr old fat Shaq on that team is must see basketball. Not for good basketball, but for the circus that might blow up at any moment.

BillsCarnage
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Finesse passing, great shooting, athleticism. Again, Shaq is the exact opposite of that - give him the ball, and let him turn around and dunk it in. That's not basketball.

Now I'm supposed to cheer for this?

If it brings the Suns a title yer damn skippy you'll root for it. And you'll like it too.

If this move fails it might be the first and last move Kerr makes. The NBA has been playing the Suns like a fiddle since the JoJo fiasco.

sribb43
02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
"Sun have the same team minus Marion" - this is an oxymoron. The Suns aren't the same team without Marion. He is possibly the most vital cog in their system, which is the most efficient offense in the league. Second only to Nash, in importance, and Marion's defense and ability to match up against anyone arguably makes him the MOST important cog.

i think u miss understood me, or i typed it wrong, let me clarify. what i meant is that while shaq is out, the suns will be basically the team that have been running out prior to this trade but will be missing Marion...therefore they will struggle during this stretch if shaq doesnt play bc they will be only have the following players...

Pg: nash/barbosa/strawberry
sg: bell/piatkowski/tucker
sf: hill/
pf: diaw/marks
c: amare/skinner

out of that group D'Antoni will probably give significant minutes to 6-7 of those guys. so missing Marion on this squad is devisating until Shaq makes his debut

Supergirl
02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
i think u miss understood me, or i typed it wrong, let me clarify. what i meant is that while shaq is out, the suns will be basically the team that have been running out prior to this trade but will be missing Marion...therefore they will struggle during this stretch if shaq doesnt play bc they will be only have the following players...

Pg: nash/barbosa/strawberry
sg: bell/piatkowski/tucker
sf: hill/
pf: diaw/marks
c: amare/skinner

out of that group D'Antoni will probably give significant minutes to 6-7 of those guys. so missing Marion on this squad is devisating until Shaq makes his debut

Agreed. That was not at all what I got from your first post. Thanks for clarifying.

I really just can't believe the Suns would do something like this. Shaq is the LAST person the Suns should go after. He is the antithesis of the Suns' style of game, even at his best. He plays best in a half-court game, he's NEVER been a good defender, even when he was young and healthy. He's you classic dump it into the middle kind of player, and the Suns thrive when they can wear down teams with a fast paced, high energy offense. Shaq (IF he is healthy enough to play, which is a big if) will be unhappy about being left out of the offense and Amare will be unhappy trying to share the paint with him. And I am not sure Nash is the best PG to try and run offense for Shaq, although frankly Nash is probably the least affected by this, because he can play with anyone.

Shred
02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Agreed. That was not at all what I got from your first post. Thanks for clarifying.

I really just can't believe the Suns would do something like this. Shaq is the LAST person the Suns should go after. He is the antithesis of the Suns' style of game, even at his best. He plays best in a half-court game, he's NEVER been a good defender, even when he was young and healthy. He's you classic dump it into the middle kind of player, and the Suns thrive when they can wear down teams with a fast paced, high energy offense. Shaq (IF he is healthy enough to play, which is a big if) will be unhappy about being left out of the offense and Amare will be unhappy trying to share the paint with him. And I am not sure Nash is the best PG to try and run offense for Shaq, although frankly Nash is probably the least affected by this, because he can play with anyone.

This is what I'm talking about. The antithesis of their style of play? I thought their style of play dooms them to never win a championship....So Shaq is a bad move?

mardigan
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
This is what I'm talking about. The antithesis of their style of play? I thought their style of play dooms them to never win a championship....So Shaq is a bad move?
Exactly, Spur fans have been talking shit about the Suns style of play for years, how it never got them anywhere. Now they make a move to help them also be able to play a traditional style, and its laughable, right. Throw in the fact that they even saved money for this move, and it was a very worthwhile risk to take. Shaq can still dominate when he wants too, and Im sure having Jason Williams and Quinn as his points didnt help.

Supergirl
02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Exactly, Spur fans have been talking shit about the Suns style of play for years, how it never got them anywhere. Now they make a move to help them also be able to play a traditional style, and its laughable, right. Throw in the fact that they even saved money for this move, and it was a very worthwhile risk to take. Shaq can still dominate when he wants too, and Im sure having Jayson Williams and Quinn as his points didnt help.

But the reality is, the Suns have banked all the way on their style. I don't think their style WILL win them a championship, but they're in too deep to change now. Nash can't play as effectively in a half-court game, and Amare and Shaq are not good enough to play a defense-first oriented team. Nor is D'Antoni capable of coaching such a team. So why not continue to try and win in what has been virtually trademarked as the Suns-style? It's their best chance of winning, and this move simply makes them a mediocre half-court team with no one who can actually play defense.

monosylab1k
02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
The Shaq of 2 years ago would have been a great move. The Shaq of this season is far more risky.

Spuradicator
02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
this is a bad move for the suns. No need for optimism whatsoever. Panic move if I've ever seen one. I don't care what any suns fan says, deep down inside they know this is true.

mardigan
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
But the reality is, the Suns have banked all the way on their style. I don't think their style WILL win them a championship, but they're in too deep to change now. Nash can't play as effectively in a half-court game, and Amare and Shaq are not good enough to play a defense-first oriented team. Nor is D'Antoni capable of coaching such a team. So why not continue to try and win in what has been virtually trademarked as the Suns-style? It's their best chance of winning, and this move simply makes them a mediocre half-court team with no one who can actually play defense.
Nash is just as good in the halfcourt, dont know what your talking about there. Hill, amare, Bell also can play halfcourt ball. Also, how do you know a team cant play another style when they have never been givin the option of doing so, especially when they havent had a real center probably since Luc longley.
And no, it doesnt make them just a mediocre halfcourt team, it makes them a team who can for the first time in a long time play both styles. Hill, Nash, Barbosa, Bell, Diaw, and Stoudamire can all still run, all they need is a outlet pass. Keeping in mind how good of a passer is in the halfcourt, I think Shaq could add something the team and Nash have never had.

Oh, and the Suns were already giving up 103 points a game, dont really know how much a difference marion being gone will make.

inconvertible
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
kerr has gone crazy.

Findog
02-06-2008, 03:20 PM
If Shaq can stay healthy and he's motivated, then there's tremendous upside for Phoenix, but those are big if's. And I certainly think he'll be more effective with Steve Nash as his PG than Chris Quinn. The question for me is how much of broken down decrepit Shaq was a function of just going through the motions in Miami and not being in shape.

JMarkJohns
02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm still too confused, angry and saddened to really have a comment.

Congrats Sarver... I'm speechless.

Findog
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Call me crazy, but I think there's a chance it might work. If Shaq has something left but just didn't give a shit anymore in Miami, then Phoenix could be getting a steal. If you start from the proposition that the Suns weren't going to win a title as currently constructed, then this is a gamble that might pay off. I can see him showing glimpses of the old Shaq, the same way Vince Carter immediately picked up his game when he left Toronto.

TheNextGen
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Call me crazy, but I think there's a chance it might work. If Shaq has something left but just didn't give a shit anymore in Miami, then Phoenix could be getting a steal. If you start from the proposition that the Suns weren't going to win a title as currently constructed, then this is a gamble that might pay off. I can see him showing glimpses of the old Shaq, the same way Vince Carter immediately picked up his game when he left Toronto.

Shaq has NOTHING left. he cant even win 10 games in the east with DWade. wft is that. lol

Washed up...fat...slow...will play half a season. I cant wait to see the Suns try to run with the big fart huffing and puffing at the back court.

Cry Havoc
02-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Exactly, Spur fans have been talking shit about the Suns style of play for years, how it never got them anywhere. Now they make a move to help them also be able to play a traditional style, and its laughable, right. Throw in the fact that they even saved money for this move, and it was a very worthwhile risk to take. Shaq can still dominate when he wants too, and Im sure having Jason Williams and Quinn as his points didnt help.

My god, no. You are using the general argument instead of the rationale behind it.

The Spurs fans decry the Suns method of play not because they play run 'n gun, but because they play NO DEFENSE in the process.

This is laughable because not only does it take away from their run 'n gun style of play that gets them a lot of their wins, it also takes away their most versatile defender, the ONLY one who can even hope to contain Parker and Manu (they both mismatch on Bell, Parker is too fast, and he can't really effectively contain Manu), AND it reduces depth by eliminating a guy that can play the 1-4 positions whenever they need, replacing him with a 5 only.

If the Suns traded away Marion for Delambert + pieces, or a big guy with a proven defensive record, it would be understandable.

If the Suns slowed their game down by dumping Amare to big up a guy who gets blocks but not as many touches, I would be a lot more concerned.

So what did they do? They traded one of the most versatile men in the league, the ONLY man who have EVER, EVER, EVER shown one iota of an ability to slow the Spurs attack down, for an injured, out of shape, broken down shadow of his former self, who now draws as many fouls as he does rebounds. He will be absolutely the worst "good" big man in the league at rotating over to stop Parker and Manu without fouling them. And he chokes their offense in the process. Not only will they not have Marion to create fast-break points and make defensive plays for transistion offense, but now Amare will not have the spacing he is used to being granted in the post to do his thing. Instead of his little jump-hop-dunk, he'll be jump-hop-be-double teamed by the guy sitting on Shaq watching him pant and wheeze under the hoop.

Cry Havoc
02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh, and the Suns were already giving up 103 points a game, dont really know how much a difference marion being gone will make.

Probably not much, scoring wise, since they'll slow down without Marion.

But have you actually watched the Suns play in half-court? I'm not talking about the regular season. My god, no one gives two fucks about the regular season anymore. ANY time we got the Suns into a half court set in the playoffs, I started smiling. They lock up. If Nash doesn't score, they get swatted or miss a bunny. It's like clockwork. Have you suddenly forgotten about all those articles written about how the Suns HAVE to keep the game flowing in the open court, because anytime they get into a set offense the Spurs squish them?

And no, it doesnt make them just a mediocre halfcourt team, it makes them a team who can for the first time in a long time play both styles.

Sure. They went from an A+ team in the open court and a D team in the half-set to a B- or a B team in the open court and a C- team in the half-set. Shaq adds VERY little to their offense, as hurt and foul prone as he is, and he packs the lane and takes ALL of Nash's spacing away. He won't be able to go traipsing through the defense anymore waiting for an open player, because as soon as he ventures into the lane, he'll have one more defender there playing off of Shaq, who won't step outside the 3 point line to save his life.

And I can't wait to see what the ball rotations look like for the Suns on defense now. Really.

mardigan
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
My god, no. You are using the general argument instead of the rationale behind it.

The Spurs fans decry the Suns method of play not because they play run 'n gun, but because they play NO DEFENSE in the process.

This is laughable because not only does it take away from their run 'n gun style of play that gets them a lot of their wins, it also takes away their most versatile defender, the ONLY one who can even hope to contain Parker and Manu (they both mismatch on Bell, Parker is too fast, and he can't really effectively contain Manu), AND it reduces depth by eliminating a guy that can play the 1-4 positions whenever they need, replacing him with a 5 only.

If the Suns traded away Marion for Delambert + pieces, or a big guy with a proven defensive record, it would be understandable.

If the Suns slowed their game down by dumping Amare to big up a guy who gets blocks but not as many touches, I would be a lot more concerned.

So what did they do? They traded one of the most versatile men in the league, the ONLY man who have EVER, EVER, EVER shown one iota of an ability to slow the Spurs attack down, for an injured, out of shape, broken down shadow of his former self, who now draws as many fouls as he does rebounds. He will be absolutely the worst "good" big man in the league at rotating over to stop Parker and Manu without fouling them. And he chokes their offense in the process. Not only will they not have Marion to create fast-break points and make defensive plays for transistion offense, but now Amare will not have the spacing he is used to being granted in the post to do his thing. Instead of his little jump-hop-dunk, he'll be jump-hop-be-double teamed by the guy sitting on Shaq watching him pant and wheeze under the hoop.
Ok, well then the "experts" say you cant win playing their style. Marion is so freaking overated around here its unbelievable. Cant create his own shot, disappears in the playoffs, and he is a bad teamate. Why would you want a player on a team trying to win a title who would want to go to Miami? Anyone wanting to do that I would want gone. Are you really telling me you thought the Suns were going to win the title this year? What was going to be different? At least Kerr had the balls to realize they werent winning shit with Marion, so he's taking his chances that playing with Steve Nash could revitalize his career, and to me, its worth the chance. Amare gets to play the 4, stay out of foul trouble, and not get doubled. They can still run, and now they can slow it down, I dont see how its a bad thing to take a chance on a guy who just might help against the West's bigs.

Cry Havoc
02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Ok, well then the "experts" say you cant win playing their style. Marion is so freaking overated around here its unbelievable. Cant create his own shot, disappears in the playoffs, and he is a bad teamate. Why would you want a player on a team trying to win a title who would want to go to Miami? Anyone wanting to do that I would want gone. Are you really telling me you thought the Suns were going to win the title this year? What was going to be different? At least Kerr had the balls to realize they werent winning shit with Marion, so he's taking his chances that playing with Steve Nash could revitalize his career, and to me, its worth the chance.

Wait, when did I advocate for keeping Marion? Marion wanted more touches. Hence trading Amare away for a center who doesn't want the ball all the freaking time. Marion's happier from that, perhaps.

It was obvious that either Amare or Marion had to go. I have no beef with trading Marion for a talented player who can contribute. But -- honestly -- Shaq is the BEST they could do? An aging player in the midst of a collasal decline who has an albatross of a contract? That's what they want in Phoenix?

Marion played well against us last year. He was the ONLY guy that kept Parker from scoring 30 a game on them, and this fact was well-documented. Without Marion, that series is over in 5, and the NBA doesn't have to worry about the incident with Horry.

AK + picks makes more sense. A deal with the Bulls could have been productive. But they just ditched their best (yes, better than Bell) defender to pick up a broken foul-machine who will likely miss half the regular season and probably end up being hurt just in time for the playoffs.

mardigan
02-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Wait, when did I advocate for keeping Marion? Marion wanted more touches. Hence trading Amare away for a center who doesn't want the ball all the freaking time. Marion's happier from that, perhaps.

It was obvious that either Amare or Marion had to go. I have no beef with trading Marion for a talented player who can contribute. But -- honestly -- Shaq is the BEST they could do? An aging player in the midst of a collasal decline who has an albatross of a contract? That's what they want in Phoenix?

Marion played well against us last year. He was the ONLY guy that kept Parker from scoring 30 a game on them, and this fact was well-documented. Without Marion, that series is over in 5, and the NBA doesn't have to worry about the incident with Horry.

AK + picks makes more sense. A deal with the Bulls could have been productive. But they just ditched their best (yes, better than Bell) defender to pick up a broken foul-machine who will likely miss half the regular season and probably end up being hurt just in time for the playoffs.
And you could very well be right and my advocacy for Shaq could make me look like an idjut, but I just see this working for some reason. Hopefully he passes his physical so we can see one of the most unique combinations in NBA history.

And maybe it was the best big they could get, and if he does stay healthy, which I know is a big if, there probably wasnt a better option.

Cry Havoc
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
And you could very well be right and my advocacy for Shaq could make me look like an idjut, but I just see this working for some reason. Hopefully he passes his physical so we can see one of the most unique combinations in NBA history.

And maybe it was the best big they could get, and if he does stay healthy, which I know is a big if, there probably wasnt a better option.

Well, they wouldn't even NEED a center, just another PF. Running two 4s in their system wouldn't hurt them too much.

And there is a huge amount of interest in Marion. There has to be a few deals out there, not least of all the Bulls. Wallace and one of their wings would be great in the Suns system, as Ben runs the floor much better than Shaq does, and matches up against the Spurs MUCH better.

I'm hoping this goes through too, if for no other reason than the novelty of it all. :hungry:

Jeremy
02-06-2008, 05:24 PM

What's really crazy is that this move isn't even a financial one!!! It saves the Suns just a tiny bit this year, and a little over a million dollars next year, but then Shaq's $20 million contract is still around in 2009/10 when Marion's contract would be over!!!!

Can someone explain to me why SARVER would agree to this, especially considering that it most likely will not be a good basketball move???!!

Obstructed_View
02-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Suns beat the Spurs with this lineup, because Amare and Shaq will put the Spurs into the penalty very early, and the Spurs don't shoot free throws well.

Cry Havoc
02-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Suns beat the Spurs with this lineup, because Amare and Shaq will put the Spurs into the penalty very early, and the Spurs don't shoot free throws well.

Lol, maybe that's their solution. "We won't play defense, we'll just put you in the bonus from 2 minutes into each quarter and make you shoot 85-90 free throws a game. :lol

Shred
02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok, well then the "experts" say you cant win playing their style. Marion is so freaking overated around here its unbelievable. Cant create his own shot, disappears in the playoffs, and he is a bad teamate. Why would you want a player on a team trying to win a title who would want to go to Miami? Anyone wanting to do that I would want gone. Are you really telling me you thought the Suns were going to win the title this year? What was going to be different? At least Kerr had the balls to realize they werent winning shit with Marion, so he's taking his chances that playing with Steve Nash could revitalize his career, and to me, its worth the chance. Amare gets to play the 4, stay out of foul trouble, and not get doubled. They can still run, and now they can slow it down, I dont see how its a bad thing to take a chance on a guy who just might help against the West's bigs.

Hammer, nail, head.

Capt Bringdown
02-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Hollinger makes it sound like record means everything and has no idea why the Suns would do this. Pretty sad drive-by media no thinking involved "analysis". That last bolded paragraph is particularly amusing.

Agreed, he sounds like a petulant little brat who's had his favorite toy taken away.

For the past few years it's been like, "Ladies and Gentlemen, your ESPN Suns!"

What, no more gushing articles about the Suns reinventing basketball?

Mister Sinister
02-06-2008, 07:04 PM
This is madness!
THIS IS HILARIOUUUUUUUUS!

Mister Sinister
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Lol, maybe that's their solution. "We won't play defense, we'll just put you in the bonus from 2 minutes into each quarter and make you shoot 85-90 free throws a game. :lol
Then bitch about the officiating.

Heath Ledger
02-06-2008, 07:27 PM
The Suns better get Shaq some HGH quick and things will be gravy baby.

Medvedenko
02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
The more I think of it...it's a good trade for the Suns....they have bled their current lineup and needed to change.

OldDirtMcGirt
02-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Just another reason why this trade will work out; John Hollinger is against it.

Capt Bringdown
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I think the recent loss to the Spurs when we didn't even have Parker on the floor was the catalyst for this trade.

They say we don't dream in color, but I'm pretty sure Suns fans nightmares are in silver and black.

sribb43
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
if shaq is heathly[U], suns made out very well. otherwise they traded marion for nothin except for $40 mil over the next 2 yrs and will get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round..

suns must win it this season otherwise the window is offically shut bc their screwed cap wise and shaq will be worthless

peskypesky
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
They say we don't dream in color, but I'm pretty sure Suns fans nightmares are in silver and black.
OMG!!! LMAO!!

Xylus
02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Hollinger hates the trade for the Suns, and Steven A. Smith says it's a good trade for both teams.

I have no idea what to believe!

Roxsfan
02-07-2008, 01:35 AM
shaq playing for the suns, crazy....I want to watch his first game with them :clap

Xylus
02-07-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm hoping he plays against Washington this Sunday, as I have tickets to the game.

Bruno
02-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I quite agree with Hollinger. Crazy is the right word to describe this trade.
Suns have traded a good player who fits perfectly with the team for a player who seems to be done and who doesn't fit at all with the team.

I don't think it will work. To me it's a stupid trade that makes suns worse. If Suns has made this trade, it means that Kerr and D'Antoni think that Shaq has still something left in the tank and can mesh with the team. We will see if they were right.

sribb43
02-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Feb 6 New Orleans
Feb 8 Seattle
Feb 10 Washington
Feb 13 @ Golden State
Feb 14 Dallas
Feb 20 LA Lakers
Feb 22 Boston
Feb 24 Detroit
Feb 26 @ Memphis
Feb 27 @ New Orleans

Feb 6 New Orleans - LOSS
Feb 8 Seattle
Feb 10 Washington
Feb 13 @ Golden State
Feb 14 Dallas
Feb 20 LA Lakers
Feb 22 Boston
Feb 24 Detroit
Feb 26 @ Memphis
Feb 27 @ New Orleans

CavsSuperFan
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I don’t know why you all think that this is a bad trade for the Suns…Being traded to the soft Western division will give Shaq an opportunity to dominate once again…Shaq now competes against WNBA quality teams like the Trail Blazers, Kings & the Clippers…Heck the Lakers are so soft they got their rear ends kicked by the Atlanta Hawks last night…

JamStone
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I quite agree with Hollinger. Crazy is the right word to describe this trade.
Suns have traded a good player who fits perfectly with the team for a player who seems to be done and who doesn't fit at all with the team.

I don't think it will work. To me it's a stupid trade that makes suns worse. If Suns has made this trade, it means that Kerr and D'Antoni think that Shaq has still something left in the tank and can mesh with the team. We will see if they were right.

That good player who fit perfectly with the team had also become a cancer in the locker room, was jealous of his teammates, demanded to be traded, and had an opt out of his contract his summer which he was likely going to use.

And, that player who seems to be done and doesn't fit at all with the team is still a better option to defend the post against teams with good post players than the player who fit perfectly with the team.

m33p0
02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
It's funny b/c the Suns have had the same squad, same style of run n' gun (becoming somewhat better at def though), same big 60 W record for years now and they haven't won.

what would you expect coming from a pencil pusher?

Cry Havoc
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
what would you expect coming from a pencil pusher?

Hollinger is the guy that said the Spurs were going to win the title last year, despite NOT having the best record.

So yeah. He has no clue what he's talking about. :lol

RonMexico
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Hollinger is the guy that said the Spurs were going to win the title last year, despite NOT having the best record.

So yeah. He has no clue what he's talking about. :lol

He also said Manu was taking a lot of steps back this year in the pre-season.

At least Sheed won't say that the Suns don't have any real big-men anymore.