PDA

View Full Version : Call Your Shot

El_Mago
02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Wow. This has been a year like no other. KG, Allen, O'Neal, Gasol, Marion and possibly Kidd...have all shifted to new teams.

Now, seeing the Lakers and Suns make Big Time moves for Big Time players must be a little upsetting to most Spurs fans. Plus, Dallas must be feeling like they are slipping, so they could possibly make a swing for J-Kidd.

However, when it comes to the Spurs the big splash so far in this neck of the woods has been Damon Stoudamire (which is not too bad). Yet, will the Spurs stand pat and not make any deals, and attempt to defend their title up against contenders like:

the Lakers (Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Bryant), Suns (Shaq, Amare, Nash, Diaw,etc), New Orleans (Chandler, Peja, Paul, West)....threats like Denver (Iverson, Melo, Nene, Camby, Martin), Houston (T-Mac, Yao, Scola, etc...)

Honestly, I think if the Spurs "man up," get a swagger, and defend their title like they actually care they may have a shot at repeating. However, there will no longer be any sweeps or 5 game series....they will be entire slug fests, and unfortunately that could burn them out by the time they meet the Celtics (KG, Allen, Pierce) or Pistons (Wallace, Rip, Prince, and Billups).....

My gut feeling tells me the Spurs stick it out and ride the wave....

I've seen the threads for Ben Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, Mike Miller, etc....

If they do pull off a trade....I would sure hope it would be for defense and rebounding.....

With that said, if they do trade, I can see something like Wally up in Seattle making his way down to S.A., but thats a long shot.

Ghost Writer
02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I brought up Wally about a month ago, but the homers here were quick to point out his expensive contract.

Mr. Body
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Szerbs is extremely expensive - no way.

Spurs don't make a trade other than to shed salary, Melvin Ely style.

SenorSpur
02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Szerbs is extremely expensive - no way.

Spurs don't make a trade other than to shed salary, Melvin Ely style.

True. I believe he makes upwards of 12 mil per.

El_Mago
02-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I like Wally.

Yeah, his contract could be a problem, but he can give us a boost off the bench.

Villanueva is also out there, as well as Haslem.

The Spurs could make a play at Brand this summer but Miami looks like they might make a play at him.

baseline bum
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd much rather go after a big first and foremost, unless the Spurs can land Mike Miller.

Ghost Writer
02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
What about Bargnani?

He sucks this year for the Raptors.

He is a big man that can block a few shots and hit 3s.

timvp
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
What about Bargnani?

He sucks this year for the Raptors.

He is a big man that can block a few shots and hit 3s.:lol @ the thought of Bargnani being a shotblocker. Manu's a better shotblocker than Bustnani.

Ghost Writer
02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I said a few shots, d1ck.

We have Elson and Oberto, and you have the nerve to laugh?

Hemotivo
02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
:lol

timvp
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I said a few shots, d1ck.

We have Elson and Oberto, and you have the nerve to laugh?Earl Boykins has blocked a few shots, too. Should the Spurs have signed him as their new center?

Question.

Ghost Writer
02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Bargnani averaged 0.8 BPG last year before this year's sophomore slump. You'd like to see him get 1 a game, but that's not terrible.

He can hit 3s... I thought that's what you guys covet.

I figured this would be a nice 2-in-1... a big man that can shoot 3s!

twilo73
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
i like the idea of Villanueva... he is tall is a poor man's odom and could certainly help in the paint as well as shoot (breaking down defenses). I think he would be ideal... what are the chances?

El_Mago
02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Bargnani would be nice.

He is a stellar shooter.

With Duncan playing inside, Bargnani would be able to spread the floor even more and bring out the opposing teams big man....leaving the lane even more open for Tony, and if the defense collapses....kick out to the open perimeter people.

However, people are right, his defensive skills are not great. But, we play a team defense, so that could make up for it.

I wish the Spurs could pull one out of their ass, and land a big name. But, that team has never worked that way and probably never will. Mike Miller is as big as it is probably going to get around here.

Areans would definitely look great in Silver and Black right now. We could use his scoring, and I think if he ever did arrive....his crazy shooting streaks would be handled.

Vinny Del Negro
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
What do T-mac, Sjax, and marko jaric all have in common?

More bpg than Bargnani. And to save you time, he's even worse in blocks/48min. Elson's numbers are comparable, which means Bargnani sucks.

I seriously question whether some of these people even watch the nba.

PS, ty thomas is the most appealing to me, but I just can't see a scenario that works., unless the bulls decide to be fuckin retarded. So I guess there is some hope.

Vinny Del Negro
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I was just kidding....I meant that we should trade Manu for Spanoulis, straight up. Imagine Nash and Duncan on the same team!

hater
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
why would you call him bustnani, he is a pretty solid player. better than Kwame + Darko combined

El_Mago
02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Personally, I'm not saying Bargnani is great,

I said he is a good shooter and for the most part has talent.

He is very young, and will more than likely always be a #2 at best rather than a number 1 option.

ChumpDumper
02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Wally would be fine skillwise -- the big problem in the Spurs would have to trade three championship vets to get him. I'm not sure Wally and perhaps a scrub Seattle doesn't want improves upon or even replaces what would be lost.

Ghost Writer
02-06-2008, 03:15 PM
What do T-mac, Sjax, and marko jaric all have in common?

More bpg than Bargnani. And to save you time, he's even worse in blocks/48min. Elson's numbers are comparable, which means Bargnani sucks.

I seriously question whether some of these people even watch the nba.

PS, ty thomas is the most appealing to me, but I just can't see a scenario that works., unless the bulls decide to be fuckin retarded. So I guess there is some hope.
It sounds like all you do is look at stats, Vinny.

As I said before, Bargnani is in a sophomore slump and had 0.8 BPG as a rookie.

We're not suggesting that he'd be a defensive stopper or anything more than a potential steal.

We've seen Milicic traded three times already by teams looking to benefit from his Draft Day hype.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Earl Boykins has blocked a few shots, too. Should the Spurs have signed him as their new center?

Question.

LMAO @ you calling him a bust, he's been in the NBA for not even 2 full seasons

look how long it took Dirk to become he is today

Ghost Writer
02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Um, the Spurs could do worse than Bargnani at PF/C.

Namely Elson/Oberto.

texbumTHElife
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I would love to see us go after Villanueva. He would fit perfect when we went to small ball and would also provide good rebounding from the 3/4.

ambchang
02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Bargnani is actually a decent low post 1-1 defender, and he can make shots. He has been under-utilized by Mitchell this year. Duncan in the post with Bargani roaming would be hard to guard, and with Bargnani being the 1st line of defense, with Duncan as the help defender would shut down any low post scorer.

hsxvvd
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Wally's biggest value is that his huge contract comes off the books in a year with a great free agent crop.

SCdac
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Mike Miller or Udonis Haslem would be nice. Players that could play a big part in our team. Even Villanueva would a good addition, imo.

Wouldn't mind the Spurs going after some lower-profile players like Josh Childress, Anthony Parker, Ryan Gomes, or Dorell Wright.

El_Mago
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, with Williams and Smith....Childress could be the odd man out.

Childress is a long player with skill, and his defense is not too bad.

I just don't think the Spurs can sit around and make another run with this core of guys....the speach worked last year, not this year.

twilo73
02-06-2008, 04:40 PM
no question about it... for me trading for both Villanueva and Miller would make the most sense.

twilo73
02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Depth Chart:
Parker
Miller
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Stoudamire
Ginobilli
Finley
Udoka
Villanueva
Mahimi

and Spliter next year!!

Top notch my opinion.

Trade works in realgm.com (Trade ID #4477569) but off course we have to add draft picks to make it appealing to teams.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
The Cavs will trade for either Dre Miller or Mike Bibby. What they'll give up I'm not sure - expirings and picks probably.

The SPurs will probably stand pat, although I'd love to see Mike Miller here for Elson and filler (which I guess would have to be Barry, although I hate to see him go...).

El_Mago
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, with all these moves, I bet LeBron is wondering whether he is going to get a little help or not. If not, for sure it is Boston or Detriot out East. The Cav's could indeed make a move for Andre or Bibby. Bibby seems more likely to be dealt, and I still don't think that would be enough to get past the Pistons or Celtics.

Plus, J-Kidd still wants out. Artest could be moved too. The Heat still might be interested in moving more players. Villanueva wants out. Memphis can still move Miller. Pietrus out in Golden State has asked to be traded. Delonte West and other Sonics could be on the move too....