PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Shaq deal puts pressure on West's elite

Bruno
02-07-2008, 09:02 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-itsyourmove020708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

February 7, 2008
Johnny Ludden
Yahoo! Sports

PHOENIX – Sometime between Steve Nash burying a three-pointer to force the second overtime, Leandro Barbosa seemingly pushing everyone into another five minutes of fun with his own catch-and-fire 24-footer and Peja Stojakovic throwing in the final dagger to end the entire thrilling, breathless affair, Chris Paul knew he was involved in something special.

"I was like, man, this is a blockbuster right here," Paul said. "An instant classic."

Welcome to the wild, wild West. Big shots. Big games. Big trades.

It says something about the state of the Western Conference that the New Orleans Hornets' 132-130 double-OT victory over the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday night was only the second-biggest story at US Airways Center. Paul goes for 42 points, nine rebounds and eight steals. Nash totals 32 points and 12 assists. Stojakovic sends both teams home with a 22-foot rainbow at the buzzer. All of them relegated to agate type to make room for this banner headline: "Shaq traded to Suns."

The Suns' decision to acquire O'Neal from the Miami Heat for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks further shifted a West landscape still trying to settle from last week's Pau Gasol trade between the Memphis Grizzlies and Los Angeles Lakers.

"This just throws down the gauntlet – again," one Western Conference GM said of O'Neal's trade.

With only 6½ games separating the conference's top 10 teams entering Wednesday, no one expects the phone lines out West to go quiet anytime before the Feb. 21 trade deadline. Said another West executive: "I had more calls today than all of last week."

The Dallas Mavericks haven't given up trying to land Jason Kidd. The Hornets need to shore up their bench. The Spurs, having spent previous weeks looking for perimeter help, may now feel need to add some beef to their roster to better match up with O'Neal.

League sources said teams were lining up to make bids for Memphis guard Mike Miller and Los Angeles Clippers swingman Corey Maggette even though neither the Grizzlies nor Clippers have decided whether to make either player available.

Even the Suns, who owned a conference-best 34-14 record at the day's beginning, felt uneasy enough about their position to gamble on O'Neal. The reason for the trade, Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said, was simple: "It gives us a better chance to win."

Suns officials admit they're anxious to see how much O'Neal has left in his tank. New Orleans coach Byron Scott is wondering the same thing. After his Hornets clipped Phoenix, Scott summed up the feeling of many in the conference when asked his reaction to the day's trade.

"My reaction," Scott said, "was, 'Damn.' "

Ghost Writer
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Maggette is skilled, but too injury prone for me.

Can Memphis just make M. Miller available already, so we can make a play for him?

boutons_
02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
"better match up with O'Neal"

Shaq has been a non-factor, been hurt repeatedly, is fat and lazy, fouls too much (consistent with fat and lazy), scoring and rebounding way down vs career numbers.

His old reputation has far exceeded his production for several years now.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaquille_oneal/career_stats.html

But, sports "journalists" gotta write something.

m33p0
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
we'll see... we'll see...

sribb43
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
imagine these potential SG/SF combos on the mavs/spurs if either team could acquire MM...

Manu/Miller
or
J-Ho/Miller

Bruno
02-07-2008, 10:40 AM
The Spurs, having spent previous weeks looking for perimeter help, may now feel need to add some beef to their roster to better match up with O'Neal.

Spurs getting a big to counter Shaq seems to be only a speculation from Ludden but he is reporting that Spurs are active on the trade market and that they are looking for a swingman.

Given that it comes from Ludden, I think it's true.

dougp
02-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Spurs getting a big to counter Shaq seems to be only a speculation from Ludden but he is reporting that Spurs are active on the trade market and that they are looking for a swingman.

I still don't get why we would continue looking for a swingman unless they're expecting to trade away Barry - we already have Bowen and Udoka who can cover the 48 by themselves and we always have Finley for offense in the 3 if needed. I still don't want to see Barry traded unless it's for someone who is RELIABLE and can produce when they get here.

101A
02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I still don't get why we would continue looking for a swingman unless they're expecting to trade away Barry - we already have Bowen and Udoka who can cover the 48 by themselves and we always have Finley for offense in the 3 if needed. I still don't want to see Barry traded unless it's for someone who is RELIABLE and can produce when they get here.Might not be for this year. Spurs looking to the future.

dougp
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Might not be for this year. Spurs looking to the future.
Yah, I understand that - but we still can't give up someone who's actually productive for no one.

Holt's Cat
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I still don't get why we would continue looking for a swingman unless they're expecting to trade away Barry - we already have Bowen and Udoka who can cover the 48 by themselves and we always have Finley for offense in the 3 if needed. I still don't want to see Barry traded unless it's for someone who is RELIABLE and can produce when they get here.

Finley's a free agent this summer. The free agent swingman market sucks in the Spurs' price range. Much more preferable to see if they can land a better player before the trade deadline.

AFBlue
02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Yah, I understand that - but we still can't give up someone who's actually productive for no one.

Is Elson or Bonner producing for the Spurs? I'd give Bonner an outside shot in the future, but Elson is as good as gone next year and is giving this team garbage minutes right now.

If the Spurs can get another swingman that might actually contribute because the Spurs have gone small-ball ALOT lately, then they should do it.

Bottom Line: Given the dearth of available big men and the apparent abundance of decent swingmen, I think you take what you can get and let the rotation sort itself out.

SenorSpur
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I have been one that is openly campaigning for the Maggette acquisition for about a year now. If the Clippers make him available, Spurs should jump on him. Miller is a better shooter, but Maggette has a better overall game - IMO.

velik_m
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Bonner for Nachbar.

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Shaq puts pressure on the West like a turd puts pressure on a colon.

Strike
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Shaq 3 years ago? I'd be concerned. Shaq today???

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/Smash8888/how_about_no.jpg

SenorSpur
02-07-2008, 12:49 PM

:lmao

ludda
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Shaq's press conference: he promises to make Amare the best PF in the league and Raja Bell the best high % shooter in the league. :lol

OH NO, we better move fast, don't want to face the best PF in the league

T Park
02-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Why does that make you laugh ludda.

Do you expect to guard Shaq and Stoudamire at the same time with one guy?

ludda
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM

You're right..I should be quivering with fear. :rolleyes

I laugh b/c its funny to listen to Shaq talk out of ass with all these high expectations. If his fat ass can deliver a ring to the Suns then I will give him all the credit...otherwise, I will laugh all I want at Snaq\

ludda
02-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh and Snaq is not miracle worker nor will Amare ever touch Duncan's level.

SenorSpur
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Shaq's press conference: he promises to make Amare the best PF in the league and Raja Bell the best high % shooter in the league. :lol

OH NO, we better move fast, don't want to face the best PF in the league

That's a shot at TD.

Shaq talks the best game in the league - especially for an aged veteran.

He's truly a walking hype machine

ploto
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
When Johnny said the Spurs have been looking for perimeter help- I thought he possibly meant their attempts to get another PG- which they have now done.

The fact that Johnny Ludden would write about the Spurs looking to add some bulk means they are. So cute- even not writing for the Express, he is still prepping Spurs fans for the possible trade.

Why do you think Horry woke up-- he doesn't want his lazy ass traded out of town.

ploto
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Bonner for Nachbar.
Nets are not that dumb.

ludda
02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
That's a shot at TD.

Shaq talks the best game in the league - especially for an aged veteran.

He's truly a walking hype machine

I don't what's bigger, his mouth or his ass.

Shaq + Dan Tony + Uhmare= unbearable combination.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Why do you think Horry woke up-- he doesn't want his lazy ass traded out of town.

You thinking Horry would get traded just shows how stupid you are.

I don't what's bigger, his mouth or his ass.

Shaq + Dan Tony + Uhmare= unbearable combination.

Unbearable because right now Shaq has gone into "I'll show you mode"

That is NOT a good mode for anyone. I don't know why you guys think the Suns would trade for him if they didn't think he was ok.

The interview with Tirico at lunchtime was frightening.

beirmeistr
02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
What imagery.

ludda
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM

That is NOT a good mode for anyone. I don't know why you guys think the Suns would trade for him if they didn't think he was ok.

The interview with Tirico at lunchtime was frightening.

Oh please. Just b/c some of us don't fear a 36 year washed up Snaq doesn't mean we're denying his impact. Like I said, I'm sure he'll have be factor for the Suns. Will he get them over the hump? I think not.

polandprzem
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Well you was extreamly happy with udoka on the PF position. So why couln't he guard Amare?

Seriously - I do not think Shaq will be much of a factor. He will be only used to half-court offense or what? I'm trying to imagine D'Antoni screem at shaq c'mon let's go c'mon, there is no 'tired' in our dictionary !!!
On D well he will be close to the paint, but with spurs ball movenment and s&r play we can destroy them. That's the optimistic scenario with D'Antoni being one of the worst coaches in the leauge.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm glad you can be confident a motivated and healthy Shaq wouldn't put Phoenix over the top.

Whats the one thing we said Phoenix should get that would put em over the top?

A rebounding defensive center that they could leave on Duncan and not have to double.

Gee what did they just trade for?

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Well you was extreamly happy with udoka on the PF position. So why couln't he guard Amare?

Udoka doesn't have the body mass.

Udonis Haslem though, DOES.

MannyIsGod
02-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I find myself thinking that Ploto and Mr. Body made the best posts in this thread.

My head is about to explode.

ludda
02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm glad you can be confident a motivated and healthy Shaq wouldn't put Phoenix over the top.

Whats the one thing we said Phoenix should get that would put em over the top?

A rebounding defensive center that they could leave on Duncan and not have to double.

Gee what did they just trade for?

Gee they also traded away their top rebounder and the guy who often defended the opposing teams top players.

Let's crown the Suns now since they have filled their biggest hole.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2008, 02:37 PM
The fact that Johnny Ludden would write about the Spurs looking to add some bulk means they are. So cute- even not writing for the Express, he is still prepping Spurs fans for the possible trade. :lol

Shaq is reportedly in very good shape. For all we know, he's been sandbagging in Miami and isn't really that hurt. It's not a surprise to me that the Spurs might want to add someone bulky to the roster just in case Shaq is actually in good shape and ready to go. I have no idea who they will go after, but I'm sure they will continue to dangle their expiring contracts and try to pick someone up.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, no ones done it, but if TIMVP has the time it would be good to see who he thinks would work against Shaq, and then see if its feasible.

The first guy that would be perfect with the Spurs and against Shaq and someone they went after before is Joel Pryzbilla.

polandprzem
02-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Udoka doesn't have the body mass.

Udonis Haslem though, DOES.

About right,and so what?
Spurs did not change nothing in the squad, so what has changed so much?
Shaq and Gasol trade? Jeez they had problems on the board all season long. Utah is playing better and better, and they are the team that can kill spurs with rebounds.

They have Shaq - who we do not know - if be available for most of the games. Plus, they lost one of the best permiter defenders and a guy who was finishing the breaks.
Bad thing though is that Diaw is well rested and realy can contribute.

polandprzem
02-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah, no ones done it, but if TIMVP has the time it would be good to see who he thinks would work against Shaq, and then see if its feasible.

The first guy that would be perfect with the Spurs and against Shaq and someone they went after before is Joel Pryzbilla.

I would rather pick Steven Hunter ...

Rummpd
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Spurs just got to survive this year and then Tiago comes in, a poor man's Gasol and a better defender - relax.

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 03:45 PM

From SportingNews

Suns trading for Shaq makes almost no sense
by Stan McNeal - SportingNews

[ Still, making a trade to match up better against (the Lakers) isn't typical business, especially when the Lakers aren't even the favorites to win the conference. That would be the Spurs and Shaq can't defend Tim Duncan any better than Stoudemire can. ] :lol

Begin article

When I first heard about the Shaq to the Suns rumors Tuesday, I blew them off as so ridiculous they didn't warrant a comment.

Then I thought about them and talked to a couple of folks. Still didn't make any sense. Well, it sure looks like the deal makes sense to the folks who count in Phoenix and Miami. Now I can see how they make a ton of sense for the Heat, but not for the Suns.

There are 40 million reasons to begin with. That's the $20 million Shaq is owed next season and the $20 million he's owed the season after. The Suns, remember, gave Kurt Thomas away last summer because of financial concerns. Thomas makes $8 million and is due to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. So all of a sudden, the Suns are willing to take on Shaq's contract? I know Shawn Marion makes a bunch, too, but if he's as unhappy as advertised, he could opt out of his $17.1 million deal this summer (highly unlikely, says one exec). If he didn't opt out, his salary still would come off the books a year before Shaq's.

Then there's the state of Shaq. His game has slipped, he's had trouble staying healthy and he'll be 36 next month. And you're going to owe him $40 million for two more seasons.

There's the basketball: Does this mean Mike D'Antoni is giving up on his running offense? When I talked to D'Antoni and GM Steve Kerr two weeks ago, they were as determined as ever that D'Antoni's style can win the championship. Kerr mentioned how the rule changes -- which allow way more contact inside than on the perimeter -- plays right into the strength of the Suns' 3-point attack. Maybe they still can run with Shaq, but don't look for him to be filling the role of Marion breaking away for dunks.

So far, I'm not seeing what the Suns are seeing. But let's look at this from Kerr's perspective:

He's got an allegedly unhappy star in Marion that he can trade for arguably the greatest big man of the past 20 years. You'd do that, too.

Kerr believes Shaq will solidify the Suns' defense because Stoudemire can move to his natural position of power forward and Shaq can man the middle. This makes sense if Shaq can stay out of foul trouble and he buys into being a defensive stud who gets 10 shots a game. Iffy yes, but Kerr must think it's doable.

Trading for Shaq counters the Lakers' move for Pau Gasol. If Shaq's with the Suns, they can use him to defend Andrew Bynum and Stoudemire can guard Gasol. Size-size at least, these are better matchups for the Suns than Stoudemire on Bynum and Marion on Gasol. Still, making a trade to match up better against one team isn't typical business, especially when the Lakers aren't even the favorites to win the conference. That would be the Spurs and Shaq can't defend Tim Duncan any better than Stoudemire can.

This allows Kerr to unload Marcus Banks, who has had more down times than up this season. Banks is owed more than $13 million over the next three seasons so the Suns are getting rid of a troublesome contract.

Of course, it's not nearly as troublesome as Shaq's will turn out to be.

Stan McNeal is a writer for Sporting News.

vander
02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Shaq is reportedly in very good shape. For all we know, he's been sandbagging in Miami and isn't really that hurt. It's not a surprise to me that the Spurs might want to add someone bulky to the roster just in case Shaq is actually in good shape and ready to go. I have no idea who they will go after, but I'm sure they will continue to dangle their expiring contracts and try to pick someone up.

and if he's not in shape now, all that running in the sun's offense should get him there real quick. this trade will be very good for Shaq's health, he is in debt to Steve Kerr

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM

That is NOT a good mode for anyone.

THe only reason that trash talker won a ring in Miami is because Manu had a brain fart :dramaquee and fouled Dirk :madrun . Otherwise, we would have been the ones playing Miami and swept their asses first (instead of the Cavs). :toast and we'd be "Going for 4". :dizzy

ApolloCreed
02-07-2008, 03:55 PM

That is NOT a good mode for anyone.
THe only reason that trash talker won a ring in Miami is because Manu had a brain fart :dramaquee and fouled Dirk :madrun . Otherwise, we would have been the ones playing Miami and swept their asses first (instead of the Cavs). :toast and we'd be "Going for 4". :dizzy

Shaq's got the eye of the tiger just like Rock did after he lost to Clubber Lang.

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Shaq is reportedly in very good shape. I have no idea who they will go after, but I'm sure they will continue to dangle their expiring contracts and try to pick someone up.

"reportedly"? :lol Who's report?

As for the dangling of contracts, we can bet Pop's talk abt not being "pressured" into a trade means the FO isn't just going to settle f/anything. After a couple of games, they are pleased (and confident) that with the pickup of MM, this team, if healthy, can definitely repeat. :toast

remingtonbo2001
02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
"reportedly"? :lol Who's report?

As for the dangling of contracts, we can bet Pop's talk abt not being "pressured" into a trade means the FO isn't just going to settle f/anything. After a couple of games, they are pleased (and confident) that with the pickup of MM, this team, if healthy, can definitely repeat. :toast

:tu

clubalien
02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
"better match up with O'Neal"

Shaq has been a non-factor, been hurt repeatedly, is fat and lazy, fouls too much (consistent with fat and lazy), scoring and rebounding way down vs career numbers.

His old reputation has far exceeded his production for several years now.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaquille_oneal/career_stats.html

But, sports "journalists" gotta write something.
and people said shaq was on the decline and wasn't the playe he once was

and what did he do he went and won a nba title! I am not a huge fan of shaq, but when he wins the WCF championship he will show his doubters.

callo1
02-07-2008, 08:47 PM
The only thing in the West under pressure from this Snaq trade will be the chair cushions Shaq puts his big fat ass in when his name is penciled in on the injury list.

Shaq's got the eye of the tiger just like Rock did after he lost to Clubber Lang.

I saw that look in his eye the other day as he entered the buffet line at Pizza Hut.

P-L-E-A-S-E !!!

Snaq was done years ago. All this Shaq is going to make the west scared stuff is insane.