PDA

View Full Version : Spurs should try to get Haslem

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Rumor has it that Miami wants to get rid of Haslem and or Blount for expiring contracts.

http://blogs.herald.com/miami_heat/2008/02/whats-next.html

Holt's Cat
02-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Haslem would be nice but I don't see the Heat gifting him to the Spurs.

ambchang
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Haslem is perfect for the Spurs. Tough defender, good shooter, Dirk stopper.
Barry + Elson for Haslem?

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Haslem thread!

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Haslem thread!

Is there a thread already for him? Sorry. If there is, someone delete this.

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm just kidding. People were talking about him in another thread. I just like shouting out the names of people. It was a shout of joy rather than exasperation.

AFBlue
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Blount is a Spur-killer, so I'd hate to see him traded to a contending team....but I wonder how much of an upgrade over Elson he would be if he were added to this team.

Haslem is tough/gritty, has a decent jumper, and is undersized....wait, didn't the Spurs trade away some guy like that not too long ago?

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I would like for the Spurs to get either Haslem or Wilcox. The Spurs can rid themselves of Elson, Horry, and Bonner.

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
People want Mark Blount?!?!!?

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 12:41 PM

I know I wouldn't.

Budkin
02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Haslem would be a perfect Spur! Find a way to get this done!

T Park
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah Haslem would solve more problems than 1.

The athletic big to guard Dirk, but he can also stay in front of Stoudamire and allows Duncan to hang with Shaq.

Yeah if the Spurs could get Haslem for some expiring contracts that would be a fantastic and life saving move.

In a perfect world, the Spurs could trade for Haslem and Mike Miller and not only be set for this year, but for years down the line.

Whisky Dog
02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Malik Rose v2.0?

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Holy crap - I just realized. Weren't Mike Miller and Haslem on the same Florida team?

T Park
02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Malik Rose v2.0?

Udonis Haslem is way better than Malik Rose.

Hes got a very very nice jumper, and hes great on the defensive end. I'm probobly wrong on this assesment, but I also think hes a decent shot blocker for his height as well.

Udonis Haslem would be about a perfect fit on this team as Damon Stoudamire so far has been.

T Park
02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Weren't Mike Miller and Haslem on the same Florida team?

Yeah I believe they were.

In a perfect world they could turn Elson and Bonner into Haslem (wont happen cause Miami wants expiring contracts) and turn Barry and maybe Mahinimi a draft pick and somehow swing the rights to Glenn Robinson or someone else into Mike Miller.

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I would shit myself.

rAm
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
We need to do something... we are still a contender, but who knows how the rest of the season will play out.

Getting Haslem will solve one of our biggest problems: Rebounding

Not only that, but with Duncan playing at the 5, Haslem would fit right in at the 4.

T Park
02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Getting Haslem will solve one of our biggest problems: Rebounding

Not only that, but with Duncan playing at the 5, Haslem would fit right in at the 4.

More than just rebounding.

Someone to slow down Stoudamire, someone to stop Dirk.

If the Spurs got Haslem, I would be confident enough, if Parker comes back at least 90%, that the Spurs would be damn near gauranteed winning back to back.

Whisky Dog
02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
How old is Haslem? He's a good player and quite athletic for his size and position, but do the Spurs project he'll still be valuable until the end of his contract? Undersized big men are the first to go down the tubes with age.

BonnerDynasty
02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Let's do it.

Who cares about long-term. All we need is that repeat.

Not being sarcastic.

rAm
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Let's do it.

Who cares about long-term. All we need is that repeat.

Not being sarcastic.

agreed

mardigan
02-07-2008, 01:35 PM
:lol
No shit, I dont think he people realize he makes 8 mill and blocks .2 shots a game being 7 feet tall.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Haslem is going to be 28 come June. He will be 30 when his contract is up I believe. Maybe 31.

T Park
02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Haslem is going to be 28 come June. He will be 30 when his contract is up I believe. Maybe 31.

Awesome, even more reason to go get him.

wildchild
02-07-2008, 01:55 PM
with Haslem more small balls. He doesn't play in the paint so I prefer Udoka to Adonis as PF in Spurs smalls.

T Park
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
wtf......

anjlbitz
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Is it possible to get Mike Miller and Haslem using only our draft picks, some cash, Elson/Bonner/Barry/(possibly Finley)?

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Is it possible to get Mike Miller and Haslem using only our draft picks, some cash, Elson/Bonner/Barry/(possibly Finley)?

You'd have to trade Finley.

And you'd have to get either Miami or Memphis to take Bonner's dumb-ass contract.

Elson/Barry for Miller
Finley/Bonner for Haslem

... plus incentives

But we won't be trading Finley, I don't think.

Bruno
02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm not very enthusiast on Haslem. He just isn't that good.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:26 PM

are you kidding me?!?!?!

Bruno
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
are you kidding me?!?!?!

No. Haslem is very average. He isn't worth his salary and the assets Spurs will have to give to get him.

wildchild
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM

incroyablement.I agree with Bruno. :D

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
He isn't worth his salary and the assets Spurs will have to give to get him.

So a defensive athletic big who can get 8 and 8 and defend Stoudamire and Dirk isn't worth trading Elson and whatever else for?

Pass whatever you are smokin.

Bruno
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
So a defensive athletic big who can get 8 and 8 and defend Stoudamire and Dirk isn't worth trading Elson and whatever else for?

First, I doubt Spurs will get Haslem for just expiring contracts.
Second, I rather see Spurs using their expiring contracts to get another player. IMO, Mike Miller and Haslem have a quite similar trade value and I take easily Miller over Haslem.

urunobili
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM

question is... would you give up Barry to get him?

wildchild
02-07-2008, 02:43 PM

without intention of offending...? :D

dude, Haslem can't guard Dirk. the guy doesn't play physical in the paint. he's only a good shooter, a expensive shooter.

athleticism is overrated.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
He reminds me of a slightly smaller version of Kurt Thomas. Does the dirty work on both ends of the floor, respectable mid range jumper. I would wonder if he'd have time to play his way into the playoff rotation. Pop's got major mancrushes for Oberto and Horry. I'd still rather see the Spurs make a play for Miller, simply because in the longer run we have a few decent prospective bigs. The swingman rotation is downright ancient.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
dude, Haslem can't guard Dirk. the guy doesn't play physical in the paint. he's only a good shooter, a expensive shooter.

athleticism is overrated

Haslem CAN guard Dirk.

Did you miss the 06 Finals???

question is... would you give up Barry to get him?

Barry and Elson for Haslem?

Yes.

Because they can get by without Barry alot easier than get by the Suns and Lakers and Mavericks without an athletic big to guard Gasol, Nowitzki and Stoudamire.

rolled up $20
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Haslem CAN guard Dirk.

Barry and Elson for Haslem?

Yes.

Because they can get by without Barry alot easier than get by the Suns and Lakers and Mavericks without an athletic big to guard Gasol, Nowitzki and Stoudamire.

I have to agree with this man!

wildchild
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Haslem CAN guard Dirk.

no. and the Haslem's job didn't impress me.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
no. and the Haslem's job didn't impress me

Yeah not impressive. It only was a huge key in Miami's winning of the Finals.

Keep the head in the ground, its a lovely view.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM

Haslem was awesome against Dirk in the 06 Finals. It was one of the main reasons Miami won.

sprrs
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM

Haslem was Jacksonesque in guarding Dirk.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
This all being said, getting Haslem is a pipe dream.

The Heat want expiring contracts, and I doubt the Spurs can get him packaging Elson and Barry for Haslem.

Joe Schmoogins
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM

+1

wildchild
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Haslem was awesome against Dirk in the 06 Finals. It was one of the main reasons Miami won.

c'mon. Haslem didn't THE KEY against Mavs.

we didn't watch the same games.
Wade and Shaq? not. Haslem.

MoSpur
First, I doubt Spurs will get Haslem for just expiring contracts.
Second, I rather see Spurs using their expiring contracts to get another player. IMO, Mike Miller and Haslem have a quite similar trade value and I take easily Miller over Haslem.

So there are a couple of ways to go with what's left on the roster.
The Heat could try to trade Mark Blount and/or Udonis Haslem to a team in need of size and/or toughness and with expiring contracts to offer in return (Golden State comes to mind, with Mickael Pietrus and a couple pieces to offer... Dallas and Houston are also possibilities).
If that happens, then the Heat will have enough space to sign two MAX contract players.

Kori Ellis
dude, Haslem can't guard Dirk. the guy doesn't play physical in the paint. he's only a good shooter, a expensive shooter

I think you must be watching the wrong guy. He's a good rebounder, defender and isn't afraid to get physical down low. He's not a great shooter.

baseline bum
I'm guessing Haslem+Blount is going to be a package deal, unless a team is willing to throw some really nice draft picks Miami's way for Udonis.

Barry+Elson still leaves the Spurs about $2.25 million short of making that deal. I wouldn't want to throw two swingmen for one player and a warm body. Perhaps Bonner's deal is small enough that Miami would take Barry+Elson+Bonner for the two.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Ugh, gotta take Mark Blount!??!

man...

Thats like trading Elson+Barry+Bonner for Elson + Haslem.

So its essentially Barry Bonner for Haslem.

Yeah, I'd do it still.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Anyway, the Spurs organization has always liked Haslem. Though I don't think they'll get him. I think they might pick up an old big vet to deal with Shaq.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Anyway, the Spurs organization has always liked Haslem. Though I don't think they'll get him. I think they might pick up an old big vet to deal with Shaq.

Is Kevin Willis available?

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah K Will is.

I'd prefer PJ Brown though. He can make that outside jumper pretty decently.

Hell we were all scared the Suns would sign PJ Brown and they go and get someone twice as good :lol

baseline bum
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Ugh, gotta take Mark Blount!??!

man...

Thats like trading Elson+Barry+Bonner for Elson + Haslem.

So its essentially Barry Bonner for Haslem.

Yeah, I'd do it still.

Dude, he's had good games against us, so I can't see how Pop doesn't make that trade. :lol

Kori Ellis
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Dude, he's had good games against us, so I can't see how Pop doesn't make that trade. :lol

I was thinking the same thing:lol Blount sucks be he always scores against Timmy.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I was kidding about Kevin Willis.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I hope Pop got rid of that "Rasho dropped 21 points on us, lets go get him" mentality.

baseline bum
02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing:lol Blount sucks be he always scores against Timmy.

In Pop's mind, Haslem would be the throw-in in that deal.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Dude, he's had good games against us, so I can't see how Pop doesn't make that trade

Yeah very true.

Only reasons he signed Elson and Rasho of course :lol

Blount though, I think, I'm sure I'm wrong, is better than Elson.

Shooter wise yeah, everything else, I dunno.

wildchild
02-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I think you must be watching the wrong guy. He's a good rebounder, defender and isn't afraid to get physical down low. He's not a great shooter.

I said great shooter?. I said good. He hits the midrange jumper nothing else.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
He's a younger and more athletic Malik Rose in my mind.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
He hits the midrange jumper nothing else.

Yeah Udonis hits that.

What do you want a 7 foot plodder that hits 3s?

Sorry Sabonis is not available.

Flo-Rida
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
If the heat dont trade him i dont expect him to demand one. If we were to trade him i would at least like some good young talent in exchange.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM
He's not 7ft. He is more like 6ft 8in

sprrs
c'mon. Haslem didn't THE KEY against Mavs.

we didn't watch the same games.
Wade and Shaq? not. Haslem.

He was about as important as Robert Horry was in the 2005 Finals

MoSpur
If the heat dont trade him i dont expect him to demand one. If we were to trade him i would at least like some good young talent in exchange.

Like Wright? They wouldn't do that, but that would be awesome.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
He's not 7ft. He is more like 6ft 8in

Thats cool.

He can guard Stoudamire perfectly.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Ok Mahinmi, Elson, Barry.

No first rounder.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I like his game. An athletic Kurt Thomas.

But he' under-sized. He couldn't play center. I guess he'd add depth to the bench. But we already have a few bigs. I don't know what we'd be giving up to get him, but unless it's next to nothing I wouldn't do it.

Haslem > Elson though.

Haslem > Bonner as well.

Haslem > Horry at this point too.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Horry is finally starting to show signs that he is coming around. I was getting very frustrated watching him play.

coachmac87
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
bonner and elson and lets call it a done deal

SenorSpur
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Haslem would be a good PF pickup. If not him, I would recommend Memphis' Hakim Warrick. Everyone keeps talking up (SF) Mike Miller, but Warrick is bigger and cheaper. He'll be a FA this offseason, so perhaps he could be had for cheap - seeing as how they literally gave away Gasol. The Grizzlies owner is committing to cutting payroll.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Hakim Warrick would be ok, but on a team where they are playing young players, he himself being young, isn't getting PT?

Ivaroni isn't an idiot, so somethings up there.

Ryvin1
02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Haslem was on one of our summer league teams and we passed on him then I don't know if Pop would spend that much money on him now.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Haslem was on one of our summer league teams and we passed on him then I don't know if Pop would spend that much money on him now.

Pop wanted to keep him and got overruled.

T Park
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
If pop were in full control we would have Raja Bell, Josh Howard and Udonis Haslem.

:pctoss

samikeyp
02-07-2008, 04:44 PM
If pop were in full control we would have Raja Bell, Josh Howard and Udonis Haslem.

:pctoss

The man has helped build four championships, you would think he would get the benefit of the doubt.

hater
02-07-2008, 04:46 PM
truth is, spurs have nothing to give to other teams. nothing!

T Park
02-07-2008, 04:46 PM
You would think.

God, the only player I can think of that Pop has been wrong on has been Parker, and that was only in the beginning before he saw him, and DIDNT want to see him.

After he saw him, he wanted him.

Youd think Buford and them would say "Ya know, he wanted all these guys before, what the hell, lets go with him for once"

T Park
02-07-2008, 04:47 PM

They don't have expiring contracts?

ChumpDumper
02-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I would think awhile about a Haslem/Blount package if they threw in Dorell Wright. Depends on what's going out.

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
And you'd have to get either Miami or Memphis to take Bonner's dumb-ass contract.

Why the hell did the FO give Bonner a new contract?

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM

They have expiring contracts that rebuilding teams want. Miami is one of those. So is Memphis.

MoSpur
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Why the hell did the FO give Bonner a new contract?

They thought he would be another Robert Horry. He may turn into that, but I somehow doubt that. His contract isn't that bad. Its got two more seasons after this one worth about $6.1 million.

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 05:41 PM
They thought (Bonner) would be another Robert Horry. He may turn into that, but I somehow doubt that. His contract isn't that bad. Its got two more seasons after this one worth about $6.1 million.

So are they waiting for Horry to retire to give the Red Rocket more minutes or what? I guess if the FO trades him it will be because they got something better or determined they can't wait for Bonner to become Big Shot Rob.

timvp
02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Every time the Spurs are playing against Blount and Blount is lighting up the Spurs, Pop is always joking and laughing with him. Blount has a reputation of being a horrible locker room personality, but maybe that'd be different on the Spurs.

Elson, Barry and Bonner for Haslem and Blount? Hmmmm . . .

$30M over the next two seasons for those two players is a lot of damn money. Then again, with Haslem, Oberto, Horry and Blount next to Duncan, Duncan would finally have a good amount of quality bigs next to him.

That Blount contract is tough to swallow. I haven't figured out if that's a good deal or not.

T Park
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Agreed, who gave him that contract anyways?!!??!

phxspurfan
02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Agreed, who gave him that contract anyways?!!??!

I think the Celtics gave him the contract.

T Park
02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Makes sense. Danny Ainge is a friggen moron.

baseline bum
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Every time the Spurs are playing against Blount and Blount is lighting up the Spurs, Pop is always joking and laughing with him. Blount has a reputation of being a horrible locker room personality, but maybe that'd be different on the Spurs.

$30M over the next two seasons for those two players is a lot of damn money. Then again, with Haslem, Oberto, Horry and Blount next to Duncan, Duncan would finally have a good amount of quality bigs next to him.

That Blount contract is tough to swallow. I haven't figured out if that's a good deal or not.

I'm all for doing that deal. I know it'll put us into the luxury tax pretty deeply, but it'll mean the Spurs enter the offseason needing a swingman with the MLE to spend vs. entering it needing a swingman, a big, and a warm body with the MLE left.

Can the Spurs trade V-Span's rights? Is he an expiring contract?

FilSpursFan
02-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I would like for the Spurs to get either Haslem or Wilcox. The Spurs can rid themselves of Elson, Horry, and Bonner.

I wouldn't part Horry as of this time yet... he still can be useful come playoff time :fro

Ice009
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Pop wanted to keep him and got overruled.

FUCK, FUCK, FUCK! Are you serious Kori? Holt? I always wondered why Pop let him go. I thought it was stupid after seeing him kick ass in Miami, plus he was pretty darn good on our summer league team that season too. So Pop did want him?

T Park
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Holt?

:rolleyes

genomefreak13
02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I can deal with disposing Elson or Bonner but I haven't given up on Horry. I think he has something for us come playoff time.

I don't think we can lure haslem to our team. I'm thinking more height might help the team. What about brandon bass? His bigger than haslem and as athletic -plus he doesn't come at a high price.

td4mvp21
02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't think we can lure haslem to our team. I'm thinking more height might help the team.
Haslem would come here in a heartbeat.

What about brandon bass? His bigger than haslem and as athletic -plus he doesn't come at a high price.

The Mavericks are not going to trade any players to their instate rival, including a guy who has been great for them. I wish though.

objective
02-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I like Haslem as a player a lot, he's having his best year (12 points, 9 rebounds), and he only makes the equivalent of the MLE (hoopshype has him down as 6.5 in 09 and 7.1 in 10)

But he's getting a little romanticized here because of the trade talk.

He had one great game in the Finals, the last game, and that's elevating him too much I think. He had 17 and 10 in that game while checking Dirk.

But for the series he only averaged 6.5 and 6.1, including that big game 6 of course. In games 4 and 5, which the Heat won, he had 2 pts, 2 rbs, 4 tos and 5 pfs in game 4. In game 5 he logged 2 points, 4 rebounds and 6 fouls.

He's not a shotblocker. He's basically a small, 6-8 Kurt Thomas. The best thing about him is that he has a reasonable contract and has proven himself a hard worker.

But that's in his hometown of Miami that he's been able to do this. Take him out of Miami, who's to say that he doesn't lose his hustle. If he lost that, he'd be another Malik. Except somewhat cheaper.

Holt's Cat
02-07-2008, 10:09 PM

The Spurs have had a bigman rotation that's been on the cheap since Nesterovic was moved. Duncan needs help on the glass. This is still a big man's league. Decent bigs cost $$$ as well do shitty ones. The Spurs managed to win a title last year with Elson getting heavy minutes. Still, plug in Haslem next to TD. Not bad.

The only concern is what impact taking on that commitment would have on finding a swingman to replace Barry. I guess there's always the hope that another vet would give the Spurs a discount for a shot at a ring. But who?

Mr. Body
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Agreed. Haslem is too expensive, probably, to pull over. There are other stop-gaps, older players that might be cheaper.

A big too bad that Mourning's down and retired.

Holt's Cat
02-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I like Haslem as a player a lot, he's having his best year (12 points, 9 rebounds), and he only makes the equivalent of the MLE (hoopshype has him down as 6.5 in 09 and 7.1 in 10)

He had one great game in the Finals, the last game, and that's elevating him too much I think. He had 17 and 10 in that game while checking Dirk.

But for the series he only averaged 6.5 and 6.1, including that big game 6 of course. In games 4 and 5, which the Heat won, he had 2 pts, 2 rbs, 4 tos and 5 pfs in game 4. In game 5 he logged 2 points, 4 rebounds and 6 fouls.

He's not a shotblocker. He's basically a small, 6-8 Kurt Thomas. The best thing about him is that he has a reasonable contract and has proven himself a hard worker.

But that's in his hometown of Miami that he's been able to do this. Take him out of Miami, who's to say that he doesn't lose his hustle. If he lost that, he'd be another Malik. Except somewhat cheaper.

Don't kid yourself. Haslem's D was a big part of the reason the Heat won that series. And how much would someone who could guard Dirk been worth to the Spurs in the '06 postseason?

td4mvp21
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM

He's a good defender though and an excellent rebounder. He's tough and gritty, and does the dirty work. Also, stick him next to Duncan and Duncan can come from the weak side for the block. I think it'd be a great fit in San Antonio. Remember that baseline jumper Rasho used to get all the time? The jumper that Elson used to get set up for befor ehe started sucking ass? Yeah, that's the money shot Haslem will get. He's great from midrange.

Holt's Cat
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
The Spurs need better quality in their frontcourt rotation now.

ShoogarBear
02-07-2008, 10:16 PM
In Pop's mind, Haslem would be the throw-in in that deal.That made me laugh.

I could see Pop playing Blount major minutes while Haslem rots on the bench, then gets traded to Houston for a second-rounder.

objective
02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
For the equivalent of the full MLE he's a great piece to have. There might not be any player on the FA market this summer better for MLE pricerange at least.

So I'd take him, but I'd take Mike Miller over Haslem easily, no question. Not that that's an issue since Memphis isn't talking like Miller is available, but still.

I'm thinking that if the Spurs really want to get Haslem the Spurs might include Mahinmi. After all, if you have Haslem locked up for two more years and Splitter coming over next year, not much room in the rotation for Mahinmi if the dream still exists to keep Bonner as your floor-spreading PF.

objective
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
... Remember that baseline jumper Rasho used to get all the time? The jumper that Elson used to get set up for befor ehe started sucking ass? Yeah, that's the money shot Haslem will get. He's great from midrange.

I don't disagree that that is the kind of shot Haslem would get.

But Rasho didn't get that many opportunities to shoot that shot. If he got it more than twice a game I'd be shocked.

td4mvp21
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't disagree that that is the kind of shot Haslem would get.

But Rasho didn't get that many opportunities to shoot that shot. If he got it more than twice a game I'd be shocked.

That's because he wasn't reliable. Haslem is reliable, and therefore would probably get that shot as long as the defense was giving it to him.

td4mvp21
02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
That made me laugh.

I could see Pop playing Blount major minutes while Haslem rots on the bench, then gets traded to Houston for a second-rounder.

:shootme

Ice009
02-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I can deal with disposing Elson or Bonner but I haven't given up on Horry. I think he has something for us come playoff time.

I don't think we can lure haslem to our team. I'm thinking more height might help the team. What about brandon bass? His bigger than haslem and as athletic -plus he doesn't come at a high price.

Come on man. Do you know who Avery Johnson is?

He would never trade anyone to our team to help make us better, that is not even going to work as a pipe dream.

mavs>spurs2
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Haslem is perfect for the Spurs. Tough defender, good shooter, Dirk stopper.
Barry + Elson for Haslem?

...I think this is the dumbest post in ST history

I think it might take a little more than just scrubs to take Miami's 3rd best player

td4mvp21
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM

I think it might take a little more than just scrubs to take Miami's 3rd best player

I think the Gasol trade proves anything is possible, especially for a suck ass team who might want expiring contracts. According to the Miami Herald (someone posted the link earlier), the Heat are looking to trade Haslem.

tav1
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Of all the name's we've discussed, the two I find most appealing are Tryus Thomas and Udonis Haslem. It's impossible to know if the Spurs are trying to make a move, but Elson and a draft pick/Mahinmi for Thomas and/or Barry and a draft pick/Mahinmi for Haslem should be considered.

T Park
02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
then gets traded to Houston for a second-rounder.

Dont do that....

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't demand much from the Spurs.
Just either Haslem, Miller, or Tyrus. :)

T Park
02-07-2008, 11:04 PM
bottomtooth you are clearly an easy man to please :)

MoSpur
02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
There are rumors that the Heat are wanting to trade Ricky Davis to the Grizz for Mike Miller. That kind of makes me wonder if the Heat really are interested in clearing cap space.

JPB
02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Key word : rumors

And there were no rumors for the Gasol and Shaq's trades.

JPB
02-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I think one important issue concerning any potential trade for the spurs is how fast and really a newcomer could adapt to their system.

Some players are attractive from what they showing in their team but you have to ask yourself : what is his helping/hurting ratio in a short span ( also considering what you let go for him) ?

ambchang
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Yes, after the Gasol trade, this is indeed a stupid ass proposal.
So Gasol is Memphis's best player, memphis got a better record than Miami, and LA had to give up two sub-scrubs, a couple of picks and cash ... hmmm .....

MoSpur
02-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Q: What does the future hold for the rest of the Heat's roster?

A: Other than Wade, nobody in that locker room can be 100 percent certain they'll be there after the trading deadline passes -- and they all seem to realize it. But the Heat can be more picky now in shopping the expiring contracts of Jason Williams and Ricky Davis, and unless a key young piece can be acquired, Miami will be best served by letting those contracts come off the cap this summer. The Heat's most coveted trade chip right now is Udonis Haslem, who could be considered expendable if the Heat are going to move to a more uptempo style to suit Marion's strengths.[/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=Heat-080208&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Elson plays an uptempo style.

td4mvp21
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Q: What does the future hold for the rest of the Heat's roster?

A: Other than Wade, nobody in that locker room can be 100 percent certain they'll be there after the trading deadline passes -- and they all seem to realize it. But the Heat can be more picky now in shopping the expiring contracts of Jason Williams and Ricky Davis, and unless a key young piece can be acquired, Miami will be best served by letting those contracts come off the cap this summer. The Heat's most coveted trade chip right now is Udonis Haslem, who could be considered expendable if the Heat are going to move to a more uptempo style to suit Marion's strengths.[/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=Heat-080208&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Elson plays an uptempo style.

He sucks but the one thing he could do ok would be run the break. Hopefully the Spurs have at least talked to the Heat about a deal for Haslem. I doubt it though.

MoSpur
02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm sure the Spurs have had talks. At least IMO. Pop likes Haslem. I'm sure a conversation has taken place.

timvp
02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
In a perfect world, Ginobili and Oberto would both come off the bench. Those two could just run pick-and-rolls while Duncan rests. A bench five of Ginobili, Oberto, Horry, Barry and Stoudamire would be pretty deadly because the Spurs would be able to run pick-and-rolls with three three-point shooters on the court to space the floor.

Haslem could fit with the starters because he is both a post defender and is agile enough to step out and guard players Duncan can't guard. Plus Haslem can hit that medium range jumper when Duncan is doubled. It'd actually work out nicely ... in theory, at least.

T Park
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Works so perfectly it can't happen.

Like Jermaine O'Neal signing here in 03.

objective
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
In a perfect world, Ginobili and Oberto would both come off the bench. Those two could just run pick-and-rolls while Duncan rests. A bench five of Ginobili, Oberto, Horry, Barry and Stoudamire would be pretty deadly because the Spurs would be able to run pick-and-rolls with three three-point shooters on the court to space the floor.

Haslem could fit with the starters because he is both a post defender and is agile enough to step out and guard players Duncan can't guard. Plus Haslem can hit that medium range jumper when Duncan is doubled. It'd actually work out nicely ... in theory, at least.

I don't think the deal could be made without including Barry's contract.

ss1986v2
02-08-2008, 06:42 PM
you could technically do horry+elson as the base, with miami agreeing to buy-out horry, so he could return to the spurs after 30 days. which is legal iirc, as long as horry is cut before march 1st.

pad300
02-08-2008, 06:50 PM

It could be done

Haslem's currently being paid $6,050,000. The Spurs would have to send out at least $4,760,000 and no more than $7,662,500...

Spurs salary combo's that work

Barry

2 of (Bonner, Elson, Horry, Finley, Oberto)

Bowen + (Vaughn or Udoka)

Barry + (Vaughn or Udoka or Mahinmi)

The most mutually acceptable would probably be Elson + ?Horry?. This also saves us roughly 500,000 from the payroll, probably getting us out of Luxury tax. We might have to send a pick to miami say:

Spurs 08 First + Raptors 08 Second + Elson + Horry
for
Miami 08 Second + Haslem

PS. As SS9182V6 suggests, some sort of a buyout sidedeal might be reached between the Spurs and Horry.

td4mvp21
02-08-2008, 06:55 PM
If Miami would take Elson and Bonner, then send them both off. I don't know why people want to trade Horry.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I hate these kind of threads...:depressed

Nocioni, Mike Miller, now Haslem....

Spaceman Spiff
02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I hate these kind of threads...:depressed

Nocioni, Mike Miller, now Haslem....

No shit. Three threads about Haslem? He still has multiple years on his contract and is one of the building blocks for Miami. Why do people keep hopping on this pipe dream? Might as well snag Yao Ming while we're at it.

He's not available. Build a bridge and get over it.

T Park
02-08-2008, 07:14 PM
The guy thats been reported to being available is akin to a franchise player?

Cool.

timvp
02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't think the deal could be made without including Barry's contract.Replace with him with Udoka in the hypothetical situation. In fact, the Spurs probably have to plan on Udoka playing a role from now on. The chances of Barry either getting traded or not being able to recover from his calf injury are probably around 75%. I don't know of many 36-year-old guards who have bounced back from a torn calf muscle followed by a strained calf muscle. Sounds more like the tagging type injury that usually ends an old player's career, sadly enough.

Spaceman Spiff
02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
The guy thats been reported to being available is akin to a franchise player?

Cool.

Read the article again, it says nothing about him being available. It's just the writer speculating about possibilities. It's not a trade rumor of any sort.