PDA

View Full Version : Trumpin' Duncan: It's About Him. It's All About Him (Great Article, Lots Of Quotes)

duncan228
02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice article. :)

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2008/02/trumpin_duncan.html

Wizards Insider
Ivan Carter and Michael Lee

Trumpin' Duncan
It's about him. It's all about him.

Tim Duncan knows it. When he looks over and sees the Los Angeles Lakers trading for Pau Gasol, and the Phoenix Suns trading for Shaquille O'Neal, he knows the intent is to knock him off his perch as NBA champion.

"I would guess so," Duncan said after scoring 23 points and 9 rebounds as the Spurs defeated the Washington Wizards, 85-77, last night. "Obviously, you don't want to say that - it's to make their team better - but I got to imagine that's the point of it."

The San Antonio Spurs have vanquished the Suns in two of the past three seasons, and ever since O'Neal guided the Lakers to the last of the franchise's 14 NBA titles in 2002, Duncan has won three of the past five NBA championships.

If Derek Fisher hadn't nailed that incredible three-pointer with 0.4 seconds left in the conference semifinals in 2004, and Manu Ginobili hadn't fouled Dirk Nowitzki in the conference semifinals in 2006, Duncan might have been five for five (with one of those titles coming against Shaq's Miami Heat).

Duncan was asked if he was honored that so many teams are making major moves because of him. "No, I'm not honored in any way. I'm a little [ticked] off," Duncan said, jokingly.

Duncan is also a bit stunned when he looks at the standings and sees that the Spurs (31-16) are not only third in the Southeast Division behind Dallas and New Orleans, but they are also the fifth seed in the Western Conference. "It's weird, but it's early," Duncan said.

When the calendar year ended, the Spurs were 21-8 and sitting pretty with the best record in the conference. They hit a rough patch in January, leading some to speculate that they wouldn't even make the playoffs.

The Spurs improved to 3-2 on their infamous nine-game Rodeo Road trip last night. They also played their fourth straight without Tony Parker, who is out indefinitely with a heal injury. Duncan realizes the Spurs can't just try to maintain without Parker; they have to win.

"It's crazy right now," Duncan said. "We went through a slump for 10, 12, 15 games, when we thought we had a good lead on the pack. Then we slid right in the middle of it. Now everybody is fighting for position. A loss here, a loss there changes things dramatically."

But while the competition out West was once simply on the court, the Lakers and Suns have made it a game of can-you-top-this wheeling and dealing. "I think they both deserve credit for being creative, thinking about of the box, especially Phoenix," Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich said.

Earlier he had praised the move by the Lakers, while questioning the reasoning of the Memphis Grizzlies, who handed an all-star caliber talent to a contender for little more than cap space and draft picks. "What the Lakers just did made it tougher," he said. "It was a miraculous move, confounding in other ways how something like that would happen, why the [heck] something like that would happen. What the [heck] were those guys thinking? [The Lakers] just got whole real quick. I think they are going to be just dynamite."

The Spurs are the league's oldest team - 11 of their 14 players are over age 30 - and they just got older with the recent signing of 34-year-old Damon Stoudamire, who landed on their porch as a gift from the Grizzlies (so, why is Pop so mad at Memphis over Pau?). They probably need some youth and athleticism to keep up with some of the younger, deeper teams in the West, but Duncan said the Spurs really just need some health more than a seismic trade.

"For us, we've had one of our three out the entire season," said Duncan, who missed four games this season with a sprained right ankle. "Absolutely, it always goes through your mind [to make a deal] when there are such moves as in the last week. But the deal with us is, if we can get healthy - get Manu healthy and Tony and myself healthy -we've got enough pieces. We feel that we don't see anybody that we can add right now that can put us beyond what we have."

The past five years, the Spurs big in-season trades have been acquiring Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer from New York for Malik Rose in 2005, and Melvin Ely last season. Mohammed helped San Antonio win a title and Ely won a ring despite never leaving the bench. Asked why he hasn't made many big trades during the season, Popovich joked, "I'm not that clever."

The minor deal for Ely had little affect on the Spurs, but ironically, it followed Popovich's statement that he wasn't going to make any deals. He isn't making such declarations this season. "I thought that was pretty cool last year," Popovich said. "It was an appropriate statement. This year, I haven't felt the need to make that statement."

Popovich, however, said he wouldn't make a knee-jerk reaction to keep up with the Lakers and Suns. "I never feel pressure to make a deal," Popovich said. "We talk to everybody like the other 29 teams. Making deals because you feel pressure is a recipe for failure."

Duncan was asked if the thought Suns fans should wake up this morning feeling good about having O'Neal. "It all depends on how healthy Shaq is," Duncan said. "It all depends on his health and his durability. If he's healthy and durable, absolutely."

When Shaq was introduced to fans in Phoenix last night, he rubbed his hand over his ring finger. O'Neal and Duncan have combined to win eight of the past nine championships. O'Neal has long desired to be recognized as the greatest big man of his era, but after Duncan matched him with his fourth championship last summer, that will be up for debate.

They both have put up incredible statistics over their careers - Duncan has career averages of 21.7 points, 11.9 rebounds; O'Neal has career averages of 25.6 points and 11.5 rebounds. They both have three NBA Finals MVP trophies. Duncan has won the regular season MVP twice, while Shaq has just one (which is criminal, considering how great he was the first part of this decade). And, they've both won an inordinate number of games. But Duncan, almost four years Shaq's junior at 31, said he isn't competing with O'Neal, or in some sort of race to get a fifth championship.

"I want the fifth. I don't care about him," Duncan said, laughing. "I don't care who has what. It's all about winning. Everybody always asks, 'You've got four rings, what's your motivation to do it again?' It's because you want to do it again. You've been there and you've enjoyed being on top of the league. There is no place like it."

And that's why everyone wants to take it from him.

T Park
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm shocked you'd post such an article :)

Great article nice find.

jman3000
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
shit god damn i <3 tim duncan.

"I want the fifth. I don't care about him," Duncan said, laughing. "I don't care who has what. It's all about winning. Everybody always asks, 'You've got four rings, what's your motivation to do it again?' It's because you want to do it again. You've been there and you've enjoyed being on top of the league. There is no place like it."

Amuseddaysleeper
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
fantastic article, and I loved hearing from TD

:tu

Strike
02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/KoolerThanJesus/myspace%20shit/Ilikeit.jpg

duncan228
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm shocked you'd post such an article :)

Great article nice find.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone is shocked. :lol

I live for stuff like this. :)

101A
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
If the Big 3 are healthy, the Spurs will not be denied.

Manu's Bald Spot
02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
TIIIIMMMYYYY!!!! Gotta love him.

Of course teams are trading to counter the big men of the west (a la Duncan). In the end, you need a solid/dominant big man to win (only Jordan was able to win without one, which makes him even more impressive). I will say though, Gasol/Bynum and Shaq/Amare will be tough on Duncan/Oberto-Horry-Elson-Bonner

Obstructed_View
02-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Derek Fisher hit a three? I guess they really don't watch when the Spurs are playing.

dbreiden83080
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Some great quotes there from TD, nice article.

urunobili
02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
VERY good read... i always like to read timee's quotes

ancestron
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Duncan was asked if he was honored that so many teams are making major moves because of him. "No, I'm not honored in any way. I'm a little [ticked] off," Duncan said

:spin

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Great article :tu Timmy is so awesome.

I love those quotes, what a competitor.

duncan228
02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
It was wonderful to "hear" so much from him.

It's current, and for me it re-assured me that the shake ups in the West aren't going to spell doom for the Spurs.

I know a lot of what he said could be considered "sound bites"--what else is he supposed to say?

But I believe him. And I believe in him.

He wants to win, he wants another ring.

He'll do it.

Ghost Writer
02-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Great article.

How did they get Duncan to talk so much and so candidly?

It is a little unnerving to read Pop's comments about how he doesn't know how the Lakers got Gasol and that he isn't clever enough for in-season trades.

Phoooooo.

ancestron
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Great article.

It is a little unnerving to read Pop's comments about how he doesn't know how the Lakers got Gasol and that he isn't clever enough for in-season trades.

Phoooooo.

That's Pop just screwing with everyone. He's always talking about how dumb he is. Righttttt.....

I'll bet the Spurs make another move before the deadline.

CIA Pop is in full effect.

duncan228
02-07-2008, 04:26 PM

We get the standard post game comments, but sometimes he talks more than we get. You can catch differences between the video interviews and the written ones from the same game.

He's always articulate, and usually very funny. He's got a quick mind, a quick wit.

That's why I liked this article so much. It gave us more than we usually get.
And the more Duncan the better. :)

lonestr
02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
That's why I don't understand why those in this forum freakout with the current trade drama. It's the other teams who gear-up to counter Tim Duncan and the Spurs. It's been this way for along time. Sure the trades with Pau and Shaq make for good news in the NBA, but what do they really get. What was the reason other than they are big men to take on Duncan. These individuals were not effective enough in their respective teams before the trade to beat a Tim Duncan Spurs team, and for some reason they suddenly can with the likes of L.A. and Phoenix? Also, no one has looked at a comment made by Shaq to Nash in a phone conversation where Shaq said "I will not let you down"!!! What is this crap. Something is wrong here. In all the years I've seen or heard the great mumbler, he always carried an air of indistructability. "We will lob bombs, we will shoot canons, we will win our first championship this year..etc. Shaq is not right in the head; I'm telling you superman has lost his cape and no one seems to notice.

Yeah, they scare me alright. I'm afraid to laugh my ass off when we finally play these jokers in a game that matters in the playoffs.

T Park
02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
It is a little unnerving to read Pop's comments about how he doesn't know how the Lakers got Gasol and that he isn't clever enough for in-season trades

Yeah if they had only listened to you and gotten Payton over Parker, this team would be killin everyone right now.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Derek Fisher hit a three? I guess they really don't watch when the Spurs are playing.

:lol

My grandkids will be talking about the .04 full court shot someday.

Supreme_Being
02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Duncan > Shaq. End of story.

lefty
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/gaming/spike/images/chapter-approved-stamp2.jpg

carina_gino20
02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
"I would guess so," Duncan said after scoring 23 points and 9 rebounds as the Spurs defeated the Washington Wizards, 85-77, last night. "Obviously, you don't want to say that - it's to make their team better - but I got to imagine that's the point of it."

I didn't think he would come out and say that. :p: But it's good that he was frank about it. These trades just show how great Tim really is and how much respect he can still command.

duncan228
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
These trades just show how great Tim really is and how much respect he can still command.

His name is in almost every article about the Gasol and Shaq trades.
It's wonderful to see him get the respect he's earned.

He's simply the best.

carina_gino20
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah. Usually, teams acquire players so that they can improve in one aspect of their system. I don't recall, in recent times, a trade done to counteract just one particular player. Tim is awesome, and now that he sees what teams are doing, he just might get better, if that's possible.

duncan228
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
...and now that he sees what teams are doing, he just might get better, if that's possible.

He's a fierce competitor. He says he gets up for pick up games.
This will bring out the best in him.
The Trophy is his, he'll fight to keep it.
I can't wait to watch it. :hungry:

lefty
02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
He's a fierce competitor. He says he gets up for pick up games.
This will bring out the best in him.
The Trophy is his, he'll fight to keep it.
I can't wait to watch it. :hungry:

In 2 days, your signature will be Nomosylab1kesque. :lmao

duncan228
02-07-2008, 10:54 PM
In 2 days, your signature will be Nomosylab1kesque. :lmao

:lmao

I promise it won't. I'm done experimenting.
It is bigger than I've ever had it but I'm stuck on these 3 pics.

I assume I'll go back to just the Trophy pic as soon as I get my fill of the other 2. :)

T Park
02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I like the one picture you have Duncan from last year throwing up the Shocker.

duncan228
02-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I like the one picture you have Duncan from last year throwing up the Shocker.

I'm not sure which one you mean.
I've got so many it's hard to keep track any more.

Was it from the Playoffs or a regular season game?

EDIT: Never mind, I get it now. :oops

bigfundamental21
02-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Great find, duncan228. It's good to read that Tim is still hungry and that all these big trades are not changing his drive to win.

If anything, I think when teams make changes like this, it motivates him even more. You gotta love the competitiveness of Duncan.

polandprzem
02-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Umm find me how many teams won a championship without advantage on the frontcourt

m33p0
02-08-2008, 01:25 AM
I'm not that clever.
yeah, right. :rolleyes :lol

inconvertible
02-08-2008, 01:25 AM
SHAQ is FAT

m33p0
02-08-2008, 01:42 AM
We get the standard post game comments, but sometimes he talks more than we get. You can catch differences between the video interviews and the written ones from the same game.

He's always articulate, and usually very funny. He's got a quick mind, a quick wit.

That's why I liked this article so much. It gave us more than we usually get.
And the more Duncan the better. :)
FOnsZAcYHYQ
this one is old but illustrates his funny side.

duncan228
02-08-2008, 01:53 AM
this one is old but illustrates his funny side.

That was a good one.
He's usually funny after wins, more subdued after losses.

I watch every interview I can find with him. His sense of humor is wonderful. We see it more these last few years than earlier in his career. As he's matured he's gotten more comfortable in his role as leader of this team and he's letting us in more.

spursjustice
02-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Tim is a genius. We are all fortunate to witness his career...

whottt
02-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Pop kind of seems to be questioning the ethics behind the Gasol trade...I'm not sure I disagree with that sentiment either.

J.T.
02-08-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure which one you mean.
I've got so many it's hard to keep track any more.

Was it from the Playoffs or a regular season game?

He's talking about the picture of Duncan at the All Star game (2nd one in your banner). I'll leave some other poor soul here to explain what "the shocker" is.

timvp
02-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Earlier he had praised the move by the Lakers, while questioning the reasoning of the Memphis Grizzlies, who handed an all-star caliber talent to a contender for little more than cap space and draft picks. "What the Lakers just did made it tougher," he said. "It was a miraculous move, confounding in other ways how something like that would happen, why the [heck] something like that would happen. What the [heck] were those guys thinking? [The Lakers] just got whole real quick. I think they are going to be just dynamite."Pop's not so thinly veiled attempt to say something was fishy about the Gasol trade? Sure looks like it.

And yeah, I still don't really understand how you trade Gasol for nothing ... unless there something else going on . . .

timvp
02-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Pop kind of seems to be questioning the ethics behind the Gasol trade...I'm not sure I disagree with that sentiment either.Damn it, beat me to it :madrun

But yeah, you don't even need to read between the lines to see Pop what Pop is getting at.

P.S.

Hopefully the Grizzlies don't get wind of that quote or else any Mike Miller trade could be forgotten about.

duncan228
02-08-2008, 02:16 AM
And yeah, I still don't really understand how you trade Gasol for nothing ... unless there something else going on . . .

From a Fox Sports article I just posted. They didn't trade him for nothing...

"Last Friday, the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol for three packs of cigarettes, a plane ticket to anywhere in the continental United States, and free Gatorade for a year."

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86650

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-08-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm glad Pop gave his two cents on the Gasol thing..

Means, it's not just the crazy fans furrowing their eyebrows.

duncan228
02-08-2008, 02:20 AM
He's talking about the picture of Duncan at the All Star game (2nd one in your banner). I'll leave some other poor soul here to explain what "the shocker" is.

I found out what it means.
I wish I didn't. :lol

Thanks for the tip on which pic it was. It was easy to find out from there.

whottt
02-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Damn it, beat me to it :madrun

But yeah, you don't even need to read between the lines to see Pop what Pop is getting at.

P.S.

Hopefully the Grizzlies don't get wind of that quote or else any Mike Miller trade could be forgotten about.

Or could be the Spurs have already tried to get Miller and the Grizz wanted more for him than they got for Gasol...which makes Pop even more suspicious.

timvp
02-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Or could be the Spurs have already tried to get Miller and the Grizz wanted more for him than they got for Gasol...which makes Pop even more suspicious.Good point.

:smchode:

whottt
02-08-2008, 02:44 AM
Hmmm...the only thing more suspicious than the Gasol trade is your agreeing with me so often recently...

Why don't you just cut to the chase and tell me which guy on my dleague 1 team you are trying to get :smokin

PS: It's not that I am determined to argue with you...it's just that you are about the only one left that I still argue with on a consistent basic.

timvp
02-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Hmmm...the only thing more suspicious than the Gasol trade is your agreeing with me so often recently...

Why don't you just cut to the chase and tell me which guy on my dleague 1 team you are trying to get :smokin

PS: It's not that I am determined to argue with you...it's just that you are about the only one left that I still argue with on a consistent basic.:lol

If you want to take the "Shaq sucks" side of the Suns trade argument, that could solve some of the problems.

carina_gino20
02-08-2008, 03:08 AM
http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/[email protected]&navCatId=5

from the Spurs-Suns series....

Tim: We're not gonna let people walk through us. :tu

whottt
02-08-2008, 03:10 AM
:lol

If you want to take the "Shaq sucks" side of the Suns trade argument, that could solve some of the problems.

I probably should shouldn't I...you've always been a pretty big advocate of Shaq's impact...so this isn't really a new thing for you...and I've always said Shaq was over-rated and had a lot of help winning...

I can't help it though...Nash and Amare are a total pain in the butt and there is absolutely no way that subtracting Marion(the easy Sun) and adding freaking Shaq(healthy), is going to be a good thing for us...

Well, we are probably both right...he has had a big impact, and he has always had help...and probably the more help he has the bigger impact he has...which is why adding him to the Suns completely sucks for Spurfan.

There's just no way Steve Nash and Shaq being on the same team is going to do anything but boost both of their games...Shaq has never played with a pure passer and Nash has never played with a pure dominant big...

...both of them can play with anyone and make other players better. They never hurt the games of other players...ever.

This sucks.

dav4463
02-08-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm much LESS worried about the Suns with Shaq than I was about the Suns with Marion.

Ghost Writer
02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Damn it, beat me to it :madrun

P.S.

You think there is something behind the scenes?

Who is in the front offices that might share a bond?

I remember Jerry West was the GM for the Lakers and then the Grizz, but he's gone, right?

polandprzem
02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I remember Jerry West was the GM for the Lakers and then the Grizz, but he's gone, right?

Well you never know what is behind the scenes.

many people thinks it was him who made that happen

phyzik
02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Making deals because you feel pressure is a recipe for failure.

Suns

MONTENEGRINO
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Good point is written in the article: NBA GM's do it to go over Timmy. All of them know what is the road to championship: must defeat Tim and the Spurs.

nfg3
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Great article and getting TD to talk that much?! Loved it!

Timmy's right though - we need to get healthy rather than make a trade. We have enough pieces to get the job done but our big 3 has to be healthy.