PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: He waddles back, but he's still Shaq

jag
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
San Antonio Express-News

The Suns once scored, as a book title defined the system, in "seven seconds or less." Shaquille O'Neal can't stop burping after lunch in seven seconds or less.
That's why most in America are confused today. Did David Stern, ever trying to punish Phoenix, force the Suns to make this trade?

But tell that to Tim Duncan when Shaq elbows him in the neck in April. If Shaq can get his hip in shape — and that's a big if and a big hip — then the Suns have a chance to be something this spring besides adorable losers.

That's what Steve Kerr was thinking and, for him, it's a remarkable role change. He'd spent his playing career as the reasonable voice in the back of winning locker rooms, and he retired to become a glib announcer on TNT.

He's been diplomatic and funny his entire life without having to take a stand. And yet there he was, just a half-year into his job, gambling with both the best record and the most fun style in the Western Conference.

"I'm well aware that I'm on the line," Kerr said Wednesday, and he should be aware few of his peers would have made this trade. New general managers become unemployed ones over such boldness.

Still, other GMs know some of the details even as they question Kerr's sanity, and this begins with Shawn Marion. Somehow, the guy felt unappreciated, an unusual stand since he was also the highest paid Sun.

Marion earned his money with an efficient and well-rounded game. He's a better rebounder and defender than Shaq is now, and last week, he showed the same. Then, he finished with 21 points and 10 rebounds against the Spurs.

But the Suns lost that game as they have every vital playoff series this decade, and one game likely didn't change Kerr's mind. In tough moments against the Spurs, Marion has rarely looked like the superstar both his paycheck and ego say he should be.

Marion had become a whiney irritant, and in his place comes a man who literally fills up a room. Shaq will make the Suns tougher, as well as more relaxed.

He can pass, too, which never hurts any offense. Shaq will also be the recipient, since he has never played with a point guard such as Steve Nash. When the Suns spread the floor, and defenders have no choice but to fly at 3-point shooters, Shaq will have space he hasn't seen since Los Angeles.

The Suns can run even if Shaq doesn't, since it's the rare fast break that uses five players. And if Shaq plays only 24 minutes, then that means the Suns can be their old selves for half a game.

Amare Stoudemire will be better next to Shaq, too. He was never going to be the post defender the Suns wanted him to be, and he showed that again last week when the Spurs beat the Suns.

That game restored belief in the Spurs, and it likely convinced Kerr he needed to do something. There was a sense that night the Spurs were deep into the heads of the Suns and that this wasn't going to change.

Knowing Kerr, he kept coming back to that. He could always win 55 games and keep his job, but would the Suns ever win a title this way?

Now his possibilities get better in the reloaded West. Shaq and Stoudemire will match up with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, as well as with Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas centers.

The Spurs will keep their edge, since they aren't remaking themselves in midseason. Still, as they've tried to get smaller these last few years, their rivals have gotten bigger.

The Suns have gotten 375 pounds bigger, and, for Duncan, this is familiar bulk. Over the years, no opponent has been as intertwined in his career as Shaq has been.

One or the other has won eight of the past nine titles, and they've done this as opposites. While Duncan stayed in San Antonio in relative peace, Shaq kept flying to get away from something or someone — going from Florida to Los Angeles to Florida.

Now he comes back to the west. And if his health allows it, he will be pushing his way into the lane by spring, and his shiny head will be beaded with sweat, and his team will have a chance.

Make no mistake. Shaq isn't the same anymore.

And neither are the Suns.

-----------------------------------------
I agree with Buck, while everyone displays their "basketball knowledge" and puts this off as a horrible trade, i tend to think otherwise.

The spurs have shown they can slow phoenix down, and now when they do...phoenix will have an improved half court game as well as the ability to run when they need to.

Phoenix can also match up with the half court game of the mavs, and the celtics....

but the biggest reason for this trade was to be able to match up with Gasol/Bynum.

Phoenix is not relying on Shaq for offense or even defense, all they need is a presence in the half court game, and that's what they got...things have gotten very interesting in the west.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
The Suns have gotten 375 pounds bigger

Wrong.

Shaq is at 325.

Other than that, the article is right on.

The Spurs have fallen behind the Suns if Shaq is rejuvinated like it seems, and they need to make a deal to counter pronto...

BillsCarnage
02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
The Suns once scored, as a book title defined the system, in "seven seconds or less." Shaquille O'Neal can't stop burping after lunch in seven seconds or less.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

jag
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Wrong.

Shaq is at 325.

The Spurs have fallen behind the Suns if Shaq is rejuvinated like it seems, and they need to make a deal to counter pronto...

I'm not going to say that the sky is falling and that we can't compete as you've tended to do in the past, i'm a little more of a man than that, but i do think some type of move before the deadline would be key.

Xylus
02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Actually, Shaq is at 315, 10 pounds less than his reported weight. The guy's not fat, he's just dealing with injuries.

jag
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Actually, Shaq is at 315, 10 pounds less than his reported weight. The guy's not fat, he's just dealing with injuries.

I dont need a scale or body mass index to look at someone and tell you they're fat....he's fat, you know it, and i know it.

BillsCarnage
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree with Buck, while everyone displays their "basketball knowledge" and puts this off as a horrible trade, i tend to think otherwise.

Most ppl have the basketball knowledge of a peanut.

The spurs have shown they can slow phoenix down, and now when they do...phoenix will have an improved half court game as well as the ability to run when they need to.

Phoenix can also match up with the half court game of the mavs, and the celtics....

but the biggest reason for this trade was to be able to match up with Gasol/Bynum.

The initial shock of this trade caught everyone off guard and looking at how Shaq has been this season so far, the doubters have reason to their voice. This trade comes with a big fat IF, but having a few days to digest this trade i'm starting to agree with it. I'm very confident in the medical staff feeling they can get Shaq into shape enough to fit in this system.

As very few others have said, and 80% Shaq is better than most 100% players.

Phoenix is not relying on Shaq for offense or even defense, all they need is a presence in the half court game, and that's what they got...things have gotten very interesting in the west.

Exactly! So few want to see that and only see the injury. Time will tell, but this is the largest gamble in NBA history. Hopefully it works.

BillsCarnage
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM

I believe at yesterdays presso, that Shaq weighed in at 324.

T Park
02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
If Shaq is fat, then Tim Duncan is fat.

Shaq isn't fat right now. Hes just a big dude.

Tirico confirmed this saying he walked into the Miami locker room and looked fantastic.

BillsCarnage
02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
If Shaq is fat, then Tim Duncan is fat.

Shaq isn't fat right now. Hes just a big dude.

Tirico confirmed this saying he walked into the Miami locker room and looked fantastic.

http://i27.tinypic.com/14bp89g.jpg

whottt
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
It's not like Kerr is shooting blind while doing this either...he played with Shaq.

Everyone keeps acting like Nash won't be able to play in a half court offense as well...he can play in one, the Suns were the ones that couldn't...because they had a 200lb C...that's not their problem now.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah I mean Shaq aint fat, hes just a big framed dude.

Hes way thinner than he was in 03. 03 you could tell he was fat and out of shape.

whottt
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
And BTW, in case someone hasn't said this...let me be the first to say fuck Steve Kerr for doing this....not a nice way to repay the team that put two rings on your scrub ass finger.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM
let me be the first to say fuck Steve Kerr for doing this....not a nice way to repay the team that put two rings on your scrub ass finger.

Uh, so he shouldn't try all he can to win for the team he works for?

Genius :tu

whottt
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Uh, so he shouldn't try all he can to win for the team he works for?

Genius :tu

STFU TPark you spineless waffling turd.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Thats rich coming from you.

Ghost Writer
02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Many regard Shaq as the most dominant big man of the last decade.

It's astonishing that he's on his fourth team now.

T Park
02-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, had the Heat addressed the againg team last offseason and they had been more competitive. Shaq would've finished his career in Miami.

Him being on his 4th team is just by sheer chance.

whottt
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
TPark when the trade was first announced: :lol what a joke Shaq is done

TPark now: why is everyone laughing about this trade, this is serious!

Lame

SenorSpur
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
The Spurs need only to get his big ass in foul trouble and get him off the court. The key contributors on that team are Amare, Nash and Hill. Also remember D'Antoni only plays about 7 player in the playoffs anyway.

whottt
02-07-2008, 03:24 PM
The Spurs need only to get his big ass in foul trouble and get him off the court.

If it was that easy to do Shaq wouldn't have 4 rings. It's not like he's going to get benched for slagging on defense.

The key contributors on that team are Amare, Nash and Hill. Also remember D'Antoni only plays about 7 player in the playoffs anyway.

Call it a hunch, but I think if Shaq is healthy you can pretty much pencil him in as a key contributor.

Rummpd
02-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Good move by Suns but time will tell. Regards, PDR

SenorSpur
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I admit, I'm curious to see how this 2008 version of "the Diesel" will help the Suns

polandprzem
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Wrong.

Shaq is at 325.

Like you know the weights :rolleyes

j/k :)

ApolloCreed
02-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Shaq's got the eye of the tiger.

Herschel Walker
02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't think people are focusing enough on what the Suns lost... 38 mpg 3pt shooter/best rebounder/most versitile defender/best floor runner and 2nd best finisher. Shaq's gonna have to play huge to overcome just what they lost. And do it in 20-25 mpg.

101A
02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Spurs will run on the Suns; talk about role reversal.

On a missed 3; out to Parker, Duncan sprints down, set quick; it's 5 on 4 (3.5 if Nash is in) for a few ticks while Shaq catches up.

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 04:11 PM

With Nash (vice Marion) guarding a presumably healthy TP? :nope I don't think so.

It's either penetrate and (1) teardrop over the lumbering Shaq (if he's not on the bench in street clothes), (2) pass to the man Shaq WAS guarding for a slam, or (3) kick out to a spot up shooter for "Trey Bien". :hungry:

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 04:16 PM

WHY? BECAUSE HIS BODY IS OLD, HAS TOO MANY MILES, AND CANNOT HANDLE THE WEIGHT ANYMORE.

Therefore, I'll stick by my prediction and say he retires after this season...WITH NO 5th RING!! and leaves the Suns holding a very expensive bag. :lol

CaptainLate
02-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Him being on his 4th team is just by sheer chance.

:nope The fact is, the Flakers didn't want to overpay for a past his prime player. Miami did. Now Miami realizes the mistake ($20mil x 2) and found another sucker to unload the overpaid player. :dizzy

Quote me: Shaq retires after this year. And if he has more health problems, :cry he could even go sooner. The Suns will have lost their gamble and Kerr is back on TNT next year.

boutons_
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Shaq is smaller than he was a couple year ago, but his lack of definition of muscles in his arms and shoulders says to me he's about 40 lbs over lean weight, not good with a history of toe/foot/knee/hip injuries.

He certainly carrying a lot more fat than Yao, who lists at 310.

T Park
02-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't think people are focusing enough on what the Suns lost... 38 mpg 3pt shooter/best rebounder/most versitile defender/best floor runner and 2nd best finisher. Shaq's gonna have to play huge to overcome just what they lost. And do it in 20-25 mpg.

Yeah Im focusing on what they gained, what they've needed all along.

They lost a soft playoff choker, although hes the only one who could guard Tony Parker.

They gained a good defensive center, who can help their rebounding and spark the offense when Steve Nash sits down.

Herschel Walker
02-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I think many are overrating Shaq and underrating Marion's importance to that team.

41times
02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Don't make Shaq mad or else he will "win a championship"
Shaq is starting over and thrilled with his 'fabulous' team
Shaq is starting over and thrilled with his 'fabulous' team

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
February 7, 2008

AP - Feb 7, 1:14 pm EST
More Photos

PHOENIX (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal had strong words for those who doubt he can fit in with the Phoenix Suns.

"I'm very upset," he said Thursday at a news conference to introduce him as a member of his new team. "You just don't really want to get me upset. When I'm upset, I'm known to do certain things -- like win championships."

O'Neal, once the game's dominant big man but now slowed by a hip injury, said he is motivated by the negative talk.

"This team has always been there in the Western Conference," he said. "They just couldn't quite get over the hump. I think with my experience and my on the court-off the court leadership, I can help them get over the hump."

Asked what he felt when he heard he could be going to Phoenix, O'Neal said, "I wanted it to happen because I was going to be coming to a fabulous team with a lot of unselfish players, a lot of great players."

He said people are "going to be very surprised" about his role in a Suns running game orchestrated by Steve Nash.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The last couple of years I was in a system that we really didn't run, so you automatically think I can't run," he said. "But I love to run, especially if I'm playing with a great guy like Steve Nash. I look forward to making people eat their words, I really do."

O'Neal, who turns 36 next month, has been out for two weeks with a hip injury but cleared his physical Wednesday and hopes to play before the All-Star break.

O'Neal was his charming self throughout the news conference. Asked if he knew he looked good in purple, he smiled and said, "I did. Thank you very much."

On Wednesday night, he was also smiling. He stood from his seat in a suite high above the court at US Airways Center. He pointed to his ring finger and gave a thumbs up.

The crowd went crazy. The message he was sending on the big screen at the Phoenix-New Orleans game was clear: He intends to bring to Phoenix the championship that has eluded the Suns through their 40-year history.

The trade that brought O'Neal to Phoenix on Wednesday is one of the most unexpected in NBA history, a blockbuster that sent Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to Miami and came together in just a few days under first-year Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr.

The criticism has been widespread from fans to talk radio hosts to newspaper columnists. All claimed that Phoenix had acquired a once-great big man far past his prime, a 7-foot-1, 325-pound Goliath who would stifle the Suns' trademark up-tempo game.

And the Suns were taking on a contract that pays O'Neal $20 million each of the next two seasons.

Yet coach Mike D'Antoni and the Suns players said they were elated, that they believe O'Neal will be reinvigorated by the move and become a crucial component of their title run.

AP - Feb 6, 7:48 pm EST
More Photos

"We feel like our players are giddy with the possibilities," D'Antoni said, "and he's ready and focused. It's up to the coaching staff to do the tweaks without changing everything, and I don't think we have to."

Nash was "shocked" by the trade.

"If you look at what happened the last 24 hours it was incredible," he said. "You go through a whole bunch of emotions. It was very unexpected, but at the same time to get a chance to play with Shaquille O'Neal is pretty exciting."

The Suns believe whatever ails O'Neal can be cured by their doctors and training staff.

"It's a matter of flexibility in the joints and different things," Kerr said. "They're very progressive with their rehabilitation and they felt very strongly that he's going to be more mobile and explosive than what he has been."

Nash is well aware of questions concerning O'Neal's health.

"There's doubts and a risk to everything," Nash said. "I know that's going to be a favorite talking point for all the media, but for us the talking point is we've got an incredible, huge, talented, charismatic player in our locker room now. ... This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun."

O'Neal's ability to lift spirits is another plus for a Suns team that seemed joyless despite its success.

"I think the Big Aristotle is going to be fun for us," Nash said. "He has a great personality and he is one of the most exciting, charismatic players we have had in this league in a long time. Hopefully he is as excited to be here as he sounds and as we are and gives everybody a big lift."

O'Neal has averaged 25.6 points and 11.5 rebounds in 16 seasons in the NBA. This season, plagued by injuries and going through a divorce, he's averaging 14.2 points. His 14-year streak as an All-Star choice came to an end this year.

He missed much of the 2006-07 season with a knee injury and finished that season with career lows in games (40), scoring (17.3 points), rebounds (7.4), minutes (28.4) and free-throw percentage (.422).

"When Shaq came to the team four years ago, I always felt it was forever," Heat coach Pat Riley said. "We won a championship with him. We wish him nothing but the best. We have to move on with our team. We're rebuilding."

jag
02-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I think many are overrating Shaq and underrating Marion's importance to that team.

Marion was perennially worthless in the postseason...if you wanna talk about how important he was during the regular season that's completely different.

The Suns winning 60 during the reg season didn't mean shit when Marion was throwing up goose eggs in the second round of the playoffs.

Herschel Walker
02-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Marion was perennially worthless in the postseason...if you wanna talk about how important he was during the regular season that's completely different.

The Suns winning 60 during the reg season didn't mean shit when Marion was throwing up goose eggs in the second round of the playoffs.
Marion had a good series against the Spurs last season in the playoffs and put up 16 per IIRC with good rebounding. I wouldnt call that worthless.

The bottom line is this Suns team now is built more for a half court game, but IMO they still won't be better in it than the Spurs, Mavs, and possibly Lakers.

whottt
02-08-2008, 01:57 AM
You guys can bring up Marion's stats till the cows come home...but the fact of the matter is...

He's never the guy that makes you go, "oh shit, he's got the ball", not even when he's shooting threes. And Bruce Bowen shuts his ass down, till we figured out we could beat the Suns without him being shut down....because Marion can be rendered a non-factor just as easily by shutting Steve Nash down.

You never Shawn Marion take over the game offensively, you never see them run the offense through him, and he's never the guy that makes big plays to win games outside of the occasional three.

Shaq on the other makes you go, "Oh shit". As does Nash...as does Amare. Matter of fact...they are probably the best, "Oh shit trio" to be teamed up in recent NBA history.

There's a difference there...Shawn Marion is not a dominant player. He's not a scary player...he's a role player with extreme versatility and athleticism....not the guy that makes you go, "oh shit".

Slippy
02-08-2008, 03:33 AM
All i know is having to deal with Stoudamire and Shaq in tandem is going to be tough as hell. If Shaq's healthy enough, then they got better for the short term.

Apart from the odd standout game, the Spurs always contained Marion's impact.

lrrr
02-08-2008, 06:10 AM
It doesn't matter if Shaq can get healthy or not. It's not just the injuries that slow the guy down. It's AGE. He is almost 36, and has lost a great deal of the athleticism that made him such a freak. Now he's just big. In his prime he was big and fast, which made him so hard to guard. He could back you down and beat you on the spin. No matter how "healthy" he gets, he will never be close to the top of his game. People throw out "75%". I think he is closer to 60% of his prime. Shaq's always had injuries, even in his 20's. But he could still dominate, cause he was athletic. No more. Look at his rebounding and BLK numbers the last few years. The regression is the same as what is happening to Ben Wallace. These guys relied on their athleticism, when that leaves them, so does most of their game.

And another thing. With Marion gone, who fills his position? Grant Hill. Shaq isn't the only big IF on this Suns team.

And another thing, what is Shaq's record (playing against the almighty big men of the Eastern conference) the last 2 years? It shouldn't make a difference to a champion where he plays, or how much supposed "motivation" he has. A big song and dance was made about how "motivated" he was to stick it to Kobe. That's a croc. Shaq's a bonafide champion with a lot of pride. Everything else is just a story line. He doesn't light it up anymore because he CAN'T, not because he isn't motivated.

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2008, 06:29 AM
...i don't care what anyone says, shaq weighs more than 325. aside from that, as i've said before, its a good trade.

m33p0
02-08-2008, 09:31 AM
what's the average age of the suns now?

Holt's Cat
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Sure, this isn't the Shaq of 2000-2002, but he's not that bad. Then you have him in tandem with Stoudemire up front. The Suns definitely lose a lot with Marion gone. They will need Hill to really ramp it up to cover that loss. At least Marion's off court drama is gone for them.

Still, this was a good acquisition by the Suns. They hit their ceiling before this move and their window closes in a couple of years.

conqueso
02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Kori, can we move this thread into classics so that when some n00b asks why everyone on the board thinks TPark and whotttt are so resoundingly retarded, we can just link this thread and it will explain everything?

Thanks.

ploto
02-08-2008, 11:54 AM
"The last couple of years I was in a system that we really didn't run, so you automatically think I can't run," he said. "But I love to run, especially if I'm playing with a great guy like Steve Nash. I look forward to making people eat their words, I really do."

Watch out.

phxspurfan
02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
There's a difference there...Shawn Marion is not a dominant player. He's not a scary player...he's a role player with extreme versatility and athleticism....not the guy that makes you go, "oh shit".

I agree with this post. I just hope Parker is ready and Duncan / Manu are fresh enough come playoff time to match the energy the Suns will bring. And Bowen better be on point, too, because I'm sure Nash is licking his chops right now.

ploto
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I think one thing that people are underestimating is the impact that will be had simply by Shaq being there. The excitement that his presence alone will bring to the team, the fans,... I think that you will see an invigorated group of players believing that they can indeed win a championship, and this is the team that has the best record in the West already. I see so much denial from Spurs fans because they simply do not want to believe ths-- the Suns plus Shaq!!

Supergirl
02-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Shaq has not been the dominant force he's been since the Spurs knocked off the Lakers in 2003. Now, he's not only not dominant anymore, he's injured.

Doesn't mean he's not still the best center the Suns have ever had, and that he won't at least be good for a round or two, but Duncan owns Shaq at this point. He's not even top 5 as far as defenders Duncan has a problem with or offensive players Duncan has trouble containing. Rasheed Wallace, Dwight Howard, Carlos Boozer, and Kevin Garnett easily out-trump Shaq, just for starters.

Hillcrest
02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs have in recent history owned the Suns, not by slowing them down, but by out-running them in their own game. See the number of games whereby the Suns score 100+ and still lose to us.

The Suns defense which was already not great, just got slower.

Herschel Walker
02-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I think one thing that people are underestimating is the impact that will be had simply by Shaq being there. The excitement that his presence alone will bring to the team, the fans,... I think that you will see an invigorated group of players believing that they can indeed win a championship, and this is the team that has the best record in the West already. I see so much denial from Spurs fans because they simply do not want to believe ths-- the Suns plus Shaq!!

Yes, injured and overweight 36 yr old Shaq will amazingly revert to 2000 level Shaq because he talks a big game. Anyone can talk big, but if their body is wrecked they can't back it up. Any rejuvenation of the Suns players now will be despair come April when Shaq is down and their chemistry is whacked. That's why they are making a play for Artest, they know that this team isn't good enough as is.

word
02-08-2008, 12:41 PM
The Suns achilles heel has always been their lack of depth from the bench. Shaq ain't gonna change that.

BillsCarnage
02-08-2008, 01:02 PM
...i don't care what anyone says, shaq weighs more than 325. aside from that, as i've said before, its a good trade.
I find it very amusing that a member of the Suns medical staff is posting on Spurtalk. Don't let Aaron Nelson catch ya.. :dramaquee

The Suns achilles heel has always been their lack of depth from the bench. Shaq ain't gonna change that.
No, their weakness has always been rebounding and defense and it's really shown this year with them last in the league in rebounding differential.

I've posted in other threads that i expect, once Shaq is in the fold, for the opponent offensive rebounds and Suns blocks to be cut in half.

Opponent offensive rebounds - when a team shoots and misses they can crash the boards easily because all they had to do was box out Amare and go after the ball. Only Marion had the ability to sky and get the ball, the rest of the Suns players were just too short or couldn't jump. Shaq, just based on his height and girth, will eat up enough space to prevent many those offensive rebounds while having Amare pogo-stick after the rebounds as well. The Suns may not start dominating in rebounding but it's more about the prevention of offensive rebounds by the opponent. And on the other end Shaq's not bad getting rebounds for put backs.

Blocks - The reason the Suns are so high in the block category is because they have no interior D and teams are free to control the paint. Amare is out of place and undersized to try to protect the paint himself. Again, because of Shaq's height and girth he will take up a lot of room in the paint prevent some of the easy baskets teams are getting.

Shaq may be foul prone, but if he uses them wisely parker, manu, harris, kobe, and others will think twice about coming into the paint once Shaq has laid them on their butt.

Everything is still a big if though until Shaq is on the floor.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Shaq is like a slower Kwame Brown right now, in terms of what he'll be able to do on defense. His man-to-man defense will be good, but in terms of anchoring the defense he is just too slow and unathletic.

The Truth #6
02-08-2008, 02:11 PM
If Shaq gets injured and misses games then he'll gain weight. He always does. Also, his weight may be down and he is supposedly more motivated, but how well will he able to sustain himself in the playoffs. He can't consistently contribute in a 7 game series. His ego is way bigger than his heart. For all his talent, he's still a quitter. Otherwise, he would have been the best big man of all time without question. He gets by on natural talent which is slipping.

The Suns would have been much better to get Gasol - someone who can post up and run up and down the court. With Shaq, we'll see.

Why people on here keep pimping his great health as if they were his personal trainer is still bizarre.

Besides, I'm not worried about a healthy Shaq. I'm more worried about a healthy Tony Parker.