PDA

View Full Version : The Suns will be looking to add another player

ducks
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
The Suns will be looking to add another player in the next few weeks, general manager Steve Kerr said.http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Au18G3miMgMmtuVpM8RX3xo5nYcB?gid=200802 0621&prov=ap

hater
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
they need a PG. they might get someone from Bulls/Sonics?

samikeyp
02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
They're gonna bring back Penny! It will be "Blue Chips, the Sequel" !

:lol

ancestron
02-07-2008, 05:13 PM
They're gonna bring back Penny! It will be "Blue Chips, the Sequel" !

A solid backup pure PG is what Phoenix has been needing for quite a while.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
If they get Cassell

:wow

Xylus
02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Steve Kerr has a very large sack if he manages to pick up a quality player.

Jeremy
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
They have to add a player to get back to 13. League rules.

Xylus
02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
They have to add a player to get back to 13. League rules.
They could easily just call Alando Tucker up.

remingtonbo2001
02-07-2008, 05:48 PM

I think that's option #1

I wouldn't expect a big name, but you never know.

BonnerDynasty
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
If they get Cassell

:wow

Yep.

When is the god damn trade deadline?? I'm getting nervous.

ducks
02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
sam cassel is trying to get clippers to buy him out

duncan228
02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
sam cassel is trying to get clippers to buy him out

It seems he's not.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/02/07/cassell.clippers.ap/index.html

Cassell says he's not seeking buyout

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- While Sam Cassell acknowledges he's unhappy the Los Angeles Clippers are losing, the veteran point guard made it clear Thursday he's not lobbying to play elsewhere.

The Boston Globe reported Cassell was trying to buy out his contract so he could play for the Eastern Conference-leading Celtics. Cassell, averaging 13.1 points and a team-leading 4.5 assists in 34 games, is earning $6.1 million this season -- the final year of his contract.

"There's no truth to it," Cassell said by telephone from Toronto, where the Clippers play Friday night. "I never said I wanted to buy out my contract. There have been no negotiations, the team hasn't come to me about that, I have not gone to them about that."

The 38-year-old Cassell had 10 points and three assists in the Clippers' 111-100 loss to the Celtics in Boston on Wednesday night.

"They misquoted me drastically," Cassell said of the report. "It's just not right for my teammates to hear I'd be a perfect fit in Boston."

Cassell referred to television coverage of the published report.

"That's not what I said," Cassell said. "The reporter said I'd be a perfect fit in Boston. I'm still a member of the Los Angeles Clippers and I want to win as many games as possible with the Clippers. I'm not happy that we're losing, but I have a lot of good teammates on this ballclub that I really enjoy being around."

Cassell said he'd probably like to play one more season before retiring.

Cassell, a member of NBA championship teams in Houston in 1994-95, has said on several occasions he'd like to go into coaching when his playing career is over.

The Clippers (15-31) have played without injured star forward Elton Brand and outstanding young point guard Shaun Livingston all season because of injuries. They hope to get both back before season's end, but it's a virtual certainty that won't be enough to help them contend for a playoff berth because of the outstanding competition in the Western Conference.

With Brand and Cassell leading the way, the Clippers beat Denver in the first round of the 2006 playoffs before losing to Phoenix in the second round. They were eliminated from playoff contention on the final day last season.

Findog
02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Good job Duncan228. I saw that earlier but was too lazy to post it. Still, what good does he do the Clips trying to hang on to him? They should at least move him to a team that could use him (Denver, Boston, Dallas) if they're not going to buy him out.

duncan228
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Here in Laker/Clipper land I get more about these 2 teams than I can take.

The Cassell story has been a roller coaster all season. He isn't happy, he hates losing, but he maintains a tremendous attitude with his teammates. He's the veteren leader. I think he should be allowed to play out his last year, or possibly two, somewhere where he can get some wins and go out on a high note.

Like everything else in this league lately, all we can do is wait and see how it all plays out.

bostonguy
02-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Suns have an 8 million dollar trade exception from the Kurt Thomas trade to use. I can see them getting somebody decent for that exception.

Findog
02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Mavs should be making a play for the Alien instead of Kidd. The amount of salary it would take to acquire Kidd would probably make it not worth it. I don't know what Cassell makes off-hand, but I know it's not $20 million. Seriously, I do not want Kidd on the Mavs unless we can get a third team involved to avoid having to give up too much. Our biggest needs are size and scoring at the 2 and probably another defending big (Kurt Thomas perhaps?) to go against the likes of Duncan, Boozer, Gasol, Bynum, Ming and Shaq. Point Guard has not been a problem for us so I don't understand why these dumbass writers keep advocating that we go after Kidd. Cassell would be nice insurance if Devin gets hurt and veteran clutch poise in the playoffs. Otherwise, I want Kurt Thomas and Wally S or Mike Miller. Doubt it will happen though.

ducks
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
they are to cheap to do that though

did not see sam not seeking buyout sorry

duncan228
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
did not see sam not seeking buyout sorry

It's new, it just hit today.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Suns have an 8 million dollar trade exception from the Kurt Thomas trade to use. I can see them getting somebody decent for that exception.

I would love for them to use this on Mike Miller and then the 2.5 million exception from the James Jones trade on a backup PG of some kind. Problem is, Sarver just committed to spending roughly 20 million he didn't have to by acquiring Shaq's remaining 40 million (plus luxery tax) for Marion and Banks' remaining 35 million. I just don't see him making any more deal. Hoopshype was reporting that Richie Frahm was the likely addition. Exactly... Who?

Findog
02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Mike Miller is perfect for Phoenix.

bostonguy
02-07-2008, 11:08 PM
I would love for them to use this on Mike Miller and then the 2.5 million exception from the James Jones trade on a backup PG of some kind. Problem is, Sarver just committed to spending roughly 20 million he didn't have to by acquiring Shaq's remaining 40 million (plus luxery tax) for Marion and Banks' remaining 35 million. I just don't see him making any more deal. Hoopshype was reporting that Richie Frahm was the likely addition. Exactly... Who?

Kerr could really push the issue though. I never expected Sarver to pull off the Shaq trade. He easily could have saved money by keeping Marion and letting him opt out.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Mike Miller is perfect for Phoenix.

Tell me about it... Hell, I'd take Tim Thomas off LA's hands as well.

I just don't see those exceptions getting used.

Findog
02-07-2008, 11:14 PM
The Suns will have several years to be frugal and suck. Acquiring Shaq might be a newfound willingness on Sarver's part to go for broke, metaphorically and literally, in an attempt to win a title.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2008, 11:20 PM
If he brings the Suns a Title, Sarver will be handed more money from the Title-starved Suns fans than he'll know what to do with. It's worth his while to make the moves necessary to acquire another versatile wing shooter and another backup PG, unless they believe Strawberry is it. I like Strawberry and think him capable, but D'Antoni is still the coach, so I don't see him being the option.

You may be right and I pray you are, but I just don't see it.

BillsCarnage
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM

Miller is the one most of the fans seem to be calling for. Heck, i might even be willing to part with the ATL pick to package w/ the trade exemption.

Shaq, Amare, Diaw, Barbosa, Nash, Bell plus Miller would all be signed through 09/10. Not a bad core 7. Add 2 more role players and 4 for bench fodder and you never know. Only problem would be that those 7 would eat up almost $80mil and i'd bow down to Sarver if he did that.

But, we'll likely see Tucker or Frahm as the filler for this year.

Jeremy
02-08-2008, 01:20 AM

I believe Tucker has been back with the team for a week or two. Even with Tucker, though, they only have 12 players on the roster--not the mandatory 13. (The 13 can include a d-league-assigned player.)

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 02:01 AM
For Sarver it's too little too late. You had Kurt Thomas and the draft picks in the offseason. You had James Jones. You could have packaged those pieces to get a player who fits in more with what you actually need.