PDA

View Full Version : Horry On Shaq (McDonald)

duncan228
02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/02/jeff_mcdonald_h_2.html

Jeff McDonald: Horry's Shaq reax

NEW YORK -- Robert Horry spent seven seasons playing next to Shaquille O'Neal in Los Angeles and considers the big fellow among his best friends.

That makes Horry as qualified as anybody to assess what the Phoenix Suns are getting in O'Neal, the 35-year-old center with bad knees and a bad hip they acquired from Miami on Wednesday.

But first, the jokes. Rob, can you imagine Shaq running with the Phoenix Suns? Wouldn't it be like a Diesel trying to drag race a roadster?

"He's not the mobile center he used to be," Horry joked Wednesday night. "A lot of times, he might not make it across halfcourt with them."

After seriously pondering the thought of O'Neal in a Suns uniform, however, Horry has come to the conclusion that it might be just crazy enough to work. Or, more specifically, that Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni might be crazy enough to make it work.

"D'Antoni is probably one of the most creative, offensive-minded guys in the league," Horry said. "He probably already has a whole scheme of things he has planned for Shaq."

At $20 million a year, those plans probably don't include a trip to the retirement home. No matter what, Horry made it clear he hopes things work out for his old buddy.

"I wish the best for him, he's a friend of mine," Horry said. "You always want the best for a guy as nice as he is."

Well, maybe not the best, best. Asked if the trade to Phoenix enhances O'Neal's chances of catching Horry in the NBA championship ring department, Horry just laughed. He has seven rings. O'Neal has four.

"He'll never catch me," Horry said.

We'd be willing to bet Shaq's "Kazaam" royalties that Horry is right.

polandprzem
02-07-2008, 07:08 PM
A ShaqTalk forum ...

:(

duncan228
02-07-2008, 07:17 PM
A ShaqTalk forum ...

:(

I know...But it will calm down as soon as the Spurs lose a game and the board will go back to bitching about how bad the Spurs are.

Thompson
02-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I thought from the title that McDonald would be recommending that Horry guard Shaq.

I'm curious, given that Shaq has slowed down a lot and can't jump like he used to, who do y'all think would be the best big on our team to match up with him? Horry, Oberto, Bonner, Elson?

I think Oberto did pretty well against him last time they faced off.