PDA

View Full Version : Suns Suddenly Cloud The Picture In The West (Spurs In It)

duncan228
02-08-2008, 02:01 AM
I didn't see this anywhere else, I thought it had enough Spurs in it to put it out.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Kahn_Games/2008/02/07/Suns_suddenly_cloud_the_picture_in_the_West

by: Kahn_Games

Suns suddenly cloud the picture in the West

The next thing we’ll hear is that Al Gore will be speaking at the NBA All-Star Game next week in New Orleans to discuss the effect of global warming in the Western Conference.
It’s no longer as hot as it was just a few weeks ago. Now it’s scorching. We still have the same questions as we had a few weeks ago: Are the Spurs too old to get it together late in the year as they always have? Are the Mavs just too soft to ever win the West? And really, are the Hornets serious contenders or just the flavor of the regular season?

But those questions have become afterthoughts in the wake of the past week.

Last Friday, the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol for three packs of cigarettes, a plane ticket to anywhere in the continental United States, and free Gatorade for a year. :lol

This week the Suns unloaded the incessant whine of Shawn Marion and ineffectual Marcus Banks for what’s left of the mammoth center previously known as Shaquille O’Neal.

Now what do we do?

With Kobe Bryant playing at an MVP level and the rest of the Lakers growing up around him fast, the addition of Gasol not only compensates for having lost blossoming young center Andrew Bynum, it makes them legitimate contenders to win the West in whatever state Bynum returns from his left knee injury in the spring. Unlike last season, when they went belly-up when injuries struck, this year they’re dealing with it. The addition of Gasol will lighten the scoring load on Bryant, open up the floor for the multi-dimensional Lamar Odom, and create more open perimeter shots for the dangerous long-range shooting of Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic and Vladimir Radmanovic.

It’s a lot trickier with the Suns adding O’Neal to the mix and there are far fewer guarantees that it will work. Sure, Marion was a pain in the butt with his constant complaints about his role, his contract and status in the pecking order. But he had a lot to do with why the roadrunner offense of Mike D’Antoni took them to the conference finals a couple of times. Sure, Steve Nash is the driver, Leandro Barbosa the burner, and Amare Stoudemire the closer, but Marion did everything else but wash dishes.

It’s easy to see where fledgling GM Steve Kerr is coming from by adding Shaq – to have the big body they’ve lacked to match up with the Spurs, Jazz and Nuggets inside. But just how does the Big Fella fit into D’Antoni’s offense? He’s more apt to stay on one end of the floor like the old Iowa girls basketball games than run with Nash, and just how does he fit in the pick-and-roll, or pick-and-pop out halfcourt game with Nash? He doesn’t. So this leaves the onus on D’Antoni to make it work. This will be interesting but still raises the obvious question of why they dumped Kurt Thomas’ $8 million contract and two first-round draft choices to Seattle before the season for nothing. They’d have been far better off going for it with the perfect fit of Thomas and not mortgaging future picks as well, considering Shaq will be 36, Nash 34, Grant Hill 35 and Raja Bell 31.

Meanwhile, the defending champion Spurs are wondering how severe the bone spur is on Tony Parker’s left heel, and if treatment can allow him to come back in a few weeks and finish the season in the kind of fashion that allowed him to be Finals MVP last year. They’re on their “Rodeo road trip” that annually bonds the team and have won three in a row after losing the first two. It’s hard to fathom the Spurs – with Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili leading the way – won’t be there in the end. And let’s face it, they’re also the best-equipped mentally to win on the road if they don’t regain the home court as the season progresses.

In the event you haven’t noticed, last year’s fodder in the conference finals for the Spurs – the Jazz – have won 10 in a row and are 16-2 since they acquired Kyle Korver for Gordan Giricek. Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer are as dynamic as any duo in the West, and even if they do lack a legit big guy to defend in the middle, there is enough toughness and size to compensate and grab another Northwest Division title. The question is if their interior defense can handle a Duncan or Stoudemire (and now Shaq and Gasol) to win a conference championship.

As for the Mavs, well, this high-powered scoring machine led by Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and Jason Terry just isn’t as good as it was. They are 12-12 on the road this season compared to 31-10 last year, which speaks volumes. All you had to do was see Boston’s feisty little point guard Rajon Rondo steal a rebound away from Nowitzki for a bucket late in the Celtics' six-point win over the Mavs to see what’s wrong. The skills are there. They just aren’t tough enough.

Like the Mavs, the Hornets are just a half-game behind the conference-leading Suns going into Thursday’s games. Point guard Chris Paul is a bona fide MVP candidate at this point, and David West earned his spot on the All-Star squad with Paul and coach Byron Scott. A case could be made for center Tyson Chandler, too. They are not a fluke. But they are woefully thin on the bench, while they await an answer to see if aggressive forward Chris Andersen will be reinstated after being banned two years for violating the NBA drug policy. If they stay healthy, they’ve got a shot, but it’s hard to believe their youth and bench allows them to stay where they are right now. Still, they’re impossible to ignore.

The Nuggets are always dangerous with the trio of Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony and uber-defender Marcus Camby. Kenyon Martin is making the interior stronger, too, with his remarkable comeback from microfracture surgery on each knee in consecutive years. They even have solid guys coming off the bench. But they still haven’t resolved their point guard situation, and there is an erratic feel to this team that prevents them from reaching the elite level. There remains talk of getting Clippers point guard Sam Cassell via trade or buyout, and that might be the quick fix they need. They’ll be more dangerous with him. Without a deal, they’ll be more of an annoyance than a serious threat.

The same goes for the Warriors, who along with the Nuggets will work hard to fend off the Trail Blazers and Rockets for those final two playoff spots. The Warriors are that vintage Don Nelson team that will run you out of the gym on a given night and even pulled off that mighty upset last season of the Mavs, exposing them forever more. But the Warriors aren’t legit contenders, and if injury-prone star point guard Baron Davis goes down, they’re likely to be the first to drop out of the top eight.

The Blazers have been one of the great stories of the year,with emerging star Brandon Roy and the team’s toughness in coach Nate McMillan’s image, but they’re just too young and will be a much more significant contender next season provided rookie center Greg Oden recovers from microfracture knee surgery.

And the Rockets are still the same -- dangerous with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, but lacking anything else to be serious contenders. They still haven’t resolved their inadequate point guard situation and nobody else contributes to the cause consistently on the offensive end. In other words, they’re not a defensive team and they’re not a good offensive team. They just … are.

So that leaves us with the Spurs, Suns, Lakers, Jazz, Hornets and Mavs as the top six, and we’ll whittle that down to the Spurs, Suns and Lakers as the top three. As shaky as the Spurs have looked this season, it’s still hard to believe they won’t be there in the end because of their consistency, defense and the championship-caliber plays Duncan, Ginobili and Parker always make when it matters most.

Adding O’Neal to the Suns is just so bizarre, we’ll have to see it to believe it. It should help Stoudemire to have more freedom at his natural power forward position. Moving Marion gives Hill more freedom offensively, too. But this is going to take a while to digest. It will be a huge test for D’Antoni and Nash to make the adjustment to the offense, but on defense, O’Neal clearly gives them a huge presence that, again, will give Stoudemire more room to roam and become an even more effective weak-side shot-blocker.

Meanwhile, the Lakers still loom. For everything Gasol brings, he is still soft defensively despite shot-blocking ability. They really need Bynum back to be the kind of force overall that can win the West. And the big question is when and what he’ll be like when he does return. The prognosis was for eight weeks, which means he could be back in five weeks, but keep in mind he’s only 20 years old, never had an injury before and his game is still very young in development. How much will this injury set him back mentally? Of course, the wildcard is having Bryant as the superstar to carry the team when all else fails, and Gasol is a solid 20-point scorer who will allow Odom to be even more effective.

Yeah, the Lakers can win it this season. But even if Bynum does manage to pick up where he left off by playoff time, can they beat a healthy Spurs team in a seven-game series? Don’t count on it.

n1n10do
02-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Good read

Findog
02-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Fuck this guy:

As for the Mavs, well, this high-powered scoring machine led by Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and Jason Terry just isn’t as good as it was. They are 12-12 on the road this season compared to 31-10 last year, which speaks volumes. All you had to do was see Boston’s feisty little point guard Rajon Rondo steal a rebound away from Nowitzki for a bucket late in the Celtics' six-point win over the Mavs to see what’s wrong. The skills are there. They just aren’t tough enough.

Let me see if I understand this correctly: a .500 road record precludes the Mavs from winning a title? Guess we'll have to rule out the Spurs as well, since they are currently 11-11 away from San Antonio. And I guess their 21-6 record against the West is meaningless, since it's not like the West is a tough and competitive conference.

And Dirk Nowitzki committing a single turnover means he and his team aren't "tough enough" to win a title? Let's make sweeping generalizations based off of a single play. I guess the good things he does don't count at all. I suppose I'll have to make my championship pick based on the team that commits zero turnovers. Oh wait...

There are valid X's and O's reasons for not picking the Mavs to win a championship, so one doesn't have to resort to pop psychology to dismiss their title chances. It's lazy and cliched writing. Die, cockbag.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 02:44 AM
I agree with that article for the most part. On paper the Spurs aren't the strongest team, but they have the experience and chemistry that will push them over the top come playoff time provided their whole team is healthy.

The Lakers just need more time to gel before they can make a serious run. My money is on them for next year to come out of the WC.

mob
02-08-2008, 02:45 AM
no spur fan scared of mavs?

they still scary

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 02:47 AM
Fuck this guy:

Let me see if I understand this correctly: a .500 road record precludes the Mavs from winning a title? Guess we'll have to rule out the Spurs as well, since they are currently 11-11 away from San Antonio. And I guess their 21-6 record against the West is meaningless, since it's not like the West is a tough and competitive conference.

And Dirk Nowitzki committing a single turnover means he and his team aren't "tough enough" to win a title? Let's make sweeping generalizations based off of a single play. I guess the good things he does don't count at all. I suppose I'll have to make my championship pick based on the team that commits zero turnovers. Oh wait...

There are valid X's and O's reasons for not picking the Mavs to win a championship, so one doesn't have to resort to pop psychology to dismiss their title chances. It's lazy and cliched writing. Die, cockbag.

I actually think the Mavs are going to sneak past a lot of people. When they get Harris and Stack back they are a very deadly team. Teams would be foolish to count them out because of their past failures in the playoffs. How many times did Peyton Manning and the Colts fall in the playoffs before they finally won it all?

BTW I love that Brandon Bass kid, he is an absolute beast and the kind of inside presence the Mavs have needed for a while. Avery needs to get that kid more PT.

Findog
02-08-2008, 02:51 AM
no spur fan scared of mavs?

they still scary

The Mavs are like the submarine in The Hunt for Red October. You don't hear them until you're dead. Being dismissed and not taken seriously and put behind teams like New Orleans and Denver is fine by me. Dallas is far more likely to make a deep playoff run than flame out in spectacular fashion again. Even when we lost to Miami, we won three series to get to that point, and Dirk has only failed to get out of the first round twice.

A first-round exit wouldn't surprise me in the least, given how tight and competitive the West is this year. Portland is currently in tenth place and would be a lottery team if the season ended today, yet they're only 5.5 games out of the #1 seed. But all these national writers are completely dismissive of the Mavs chances when common sense says Dallas is more suited for a long run than New Orleans, Golden State, Houston or Denver.

Findog
02-08-2008, 02:52 AM
I actually think the Mavs are going to sneak past a lot of people. When they get Harris and Stack back they are a very deadly team. Teams would be foolish to count them out because of their past failures in the playoffs. How many times did Peyton Manning and the Colts fall in the playoffs before they finally won it all?

BTW I love that Brandon Bass kid, he is an absolute beast and the kind of inside presence the Mavs have needed for a while. Avery needs to get that kid more PT.

The Mavs have their holes and flaws, and if I were laying money in Vegas I wouldn't pick them over the Spurs, Pistons or Celtics. But they are a dangerous team, and it's just foolish to leave them out of any talk about title contenders.

timvp
02-08-2008, 02:57 AM
The Mavs have their holes and flaws, and if I were laying money in Vegas I wouldn't pick them over the Spurs, Pistons or Celtics. But they are a dangerous team, and it's just foolish to leave them out of any talk about title contenders.Agreed. And I'd put the Mavs ahead of the Pistons.

The Mavs have the capabilities to beat any of the teams in the West. How the hell do the new-look Suns and Lakers hope to guard Dirk? Amare and Gasol would get torn apart by Dirk. And I still rate the Mavs as the team most likely to beat the Spurs in the playoffs.

If I were a Mav Fan, I'd be ecstatic about how the West is shaping up. The Mavs are the forgotten team and with everyone getting bigger, that makes it easier and easier for the Mavs to exploit the Dirk mismatch.

That said, if the Mavs meet the Warriors again in the playoffs, you guys are toast again.

Findog
02-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Oh, and here are the Mavs' road losses, since it's so gotdamned important that they match last year's road record. We went 31-10 on the road last year and fat lot of good it did against the Warriors.

Sacramento
Utah
Portland
New Orleans
San Antonio
Detroit
Indiana
Milwaukee
Washington
Atlanta
Boston
Toronto

We've lost four games on off-nights against Sacramento, Indiana, Milwaukee and Atlanta. We played like shit in those games and they still went down to the wire and were games we should've won. That road record could just as easily be 16-8. I can't believe one can dismiss our chances because teams like the Kings, Pacers, Bucks and Hawks get a boner playing against elite teams and we get their A games. Trust me, from years of watching bad Mavericks basketball, bad teams tend to save their best efforts against the elite teams when they're playing at home, win or lose, and don't put forth as much effort when they're playing against other shit teams. Dallas gets every team's best effort. It doesn't say anything about what we're going to do in May because we mailed it in a few nights in November and December against lottery teams.

Findog
02-08-2008, 03:02 AM
That said, if the Mavs meet the Warriors again in the playoffs, you guys are toast again.

We'll see. I think Bass helps, and I'd like to think that a Dampier without a torn rotator cuff and a Dirk without bone spurs would make more of a difference against the Dubs. But all things considered, I'd prefer they play somebody else.

JamStone
02-08-2008, 03:04 AM
You take shit too seriously, young grasshoppah.

Findog
02-08-2008, 03:05 AM
You take shit too seriously, young grasshoppah.

The last two playoff exits have made this season extremely long and frustrating for Mav fan. We do well, so what, do something in the playoffs. Play poorly and it's proof we suck. Results in thin skin, and having to hear "Mavs are soft chokers" endlessly. I think I handle it better than most. Most fans around these parts weren't even paying attention until the Cowboys season ended.

Xylus
02-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Findog, at least you aren't a Suns fan. A dark cloud has hung over our fanbase since Bowen hit that 3-pointer in Game 5 of the conference semi-finals last season, and it's only gotten thicker since. The Mavs are going to contend, despite what the critics might say.

Oh, and I'm of the opinion that if the Mavs meet the Warriors again, Golden State's out in 5.

slayermin
02-08-2008, 03:15 AM
All I know is that I saw Al Horford pushing Gasol around last night.

Findog
02-08-2008, 03:21 AM
It's been a long 8 months for both Mav and Sun fan. I'm of the opinion that this is a risky gamble for Phoenix but it could pay off big time. I think a motivated Shaq getting fed by Steve Nash is going to be more effective than a lazy, disinterested Shaq receiving entry passes from Chris Quinn. They will miss a lot of the things Marion did, but I honestly don't think you were going to win a title as constructed and the Matrix would either opt out or continue the sourpuss routine.

TrueHoop put together a great post after watching video of Shaq this season. He's actually not fat at all but in pretty good shape, but he can't elevate and lacks the explosiveness of 1999 vintage Shaq. Still, it looks like he's 75% the player he used to be, and surrounded by all the talent in Phoenix, that may be good enough for the Suns.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-30-24/The-Way-Shaquille-O-Neal-Plays-Now.html

As for Dallas against Golden State, the conventional wisdom is that the Mavs need to slow the game down against the Warriors and try to pound them in a half-court game. Well, the two games we won in that series were actually the high-scoring games, whereas the Warriors won the four games that were lower-scoring affairs. This guy posits that Dallas should welcome the opportunity to run with the Warriors, because over the course of a game and a seven-game series, the Mavericks would exercise better shot selection than Golden State. You might as well push the ball and get easy basket opportunities before their defense has a chance to set up, because they're going to run and jack up threes anyway, no matter if it's a make or they get the defensive rebound. As for defensive strategy, I'd hug their shooters and guard the three-point line, and dare them to try and attack the paint with Dampier and Diop to protect the rim:

http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/2008/01/mavericks-follow-correct-prescription.html

Findog
02-08-2008, 03:23 AM
All I know is that I saw Al Horford pushing Gasol around last night.

No doubt the Lakers are much better with Gasol than Kwame Brown, but some of the commentary about the addition of Pau is ridiculous. He's a nice addition and I think he'll do well in the triangle, but he is S-O-F-T. And it's not like Memphis ever won anything with him.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Gasol was never brought in for his defense. I don't know why people keep bringing this up.

We already have our defensive anchor. His name is Andrew Bynum. And bad news for you, his recovery process is going better than expected.

Findog
02-08-2008, 03:35 AM
Gasol was never brought in for his defense. I don't know why people keep bringing this up.

We already have our defensive anchor. His name is Andrew Bynum. And bad news for you, his recovery process is going better than expected.

It's part of the package with Gasol. Hopefully for the Lakers sake, they can hide him on d.

ludda
02-08-2008, 04:08 AM
I think the Spurs and Lakers have the best chance this year. I'm holding out on my judgment of the Snaq Suns.

As for the mavs, they're hard to read. They're still a soft jumpshooting team that haven't really addressed their issues from their past two playoff flameouts. The west just got a lot better and maybe they're lying low and enjoying flying under the radar, but I think they need to make a trade. It's hard for to tell if they're the same team that won 67 games and just pacing themselves or a team who has been "exposed".

I think the Jazz have as good a chance as the Mavs/Suns. That might just be me, the addition of Korver has been great for them.

atxrocker
02-08-2008, 04:48 AM
We've lost four games on off-nights against Sacramento

bull fucking shit. you guys played to win and lost on the road. don't act like they didn't want it.

mikejones99
02-08-2008, 04:59 AM
94% of Mormons would pick the Jazz in the west

Findog
02-08-2008, 05:02 AM
bull fucking shit. you guys played to win and lost on the road. don't act like they didn't want it.

I'm not saying Dallas didn't want to win, I'm saying that they had an uncharacteristic 20 turnovers and played much shittier defense than they normally do. Sacramento played their brains out. Sacramento's A game beats Dallas' C game and the Kings deserved to win that one. All things considered, Dallas >> Sacramento, other than that night. Simple as that.

hsxvvd
02-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Despite all the panic moves of late, and despite New Orleans, Utah & Houston all putting together streaks, I'm calling it now... San Antonio v. Dallas Western Conference finals, they'll both peak when it counts. (Provided the seedings allow for it obviously!)

urunobili
02-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Round one:

Mavs defeat Houston
Spurs Defeat New Orleans

Round Two:

Mavs Defeat Utah
Spurs Defeat the Suns

WCF

MAVS VS. SPURS

1Parker1
02-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Here's what I think; If the Mavs meet GS, Mavs will beat GS in 5, no contest. I think the Mavs worst playoff matchup is the Jazz. Jazz are exactly the tough/physical/bullying type of team that can take a soft team like the Mavs out of their element.

For the Spurs, I think their worst matchup is the Suns and Lakers. The Lakers especially, I can see taking the Spurs to 6-7 games. Duncan is going to have his hands full these playoffs.

hsxvvd
02-08-2008, 08:53 AM
The Suns would also want to avoid the Jazz, I can see lots of high pick & rolls and Shaq being killed by Boozer or having Okur rain 3's on them all game.

The Lakers won't be anymore of a threat than last year, New Orleans, Phoenix, Utah, Dallas and San Antonio would all beat them without much fuss. Fisher will make more of a difference than Gasol, but Nash, Parker, Paul, Williams and Harris/Terry will burn him and that's where the games will be won.

m33p0
02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
these trades just made the WEST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>east.

spursfan09
02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't care what other teams do in the league. All I care about is one team- the Spurs. The only thing I'm waiting for is a healthy Tony Parker to come back. Then once the playoffs start I know the big 3 will play thier best til the end. Other teams are making trades because they knew from the beginning even when the Spurs were struggling so bad that they had no chance to beat the Spurs. Now they gave themselves more of a chance. And even more competition for the Spurs. I can't wait for the playoffs!!!!

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
The WC playoffs are going to be insane!!! I love the NBA.

Rummpd
02-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Bynum defensive anchor HAH, HAH, HAH - he blocks shots but was so out of position many times that K. Brown (still a far better defender than Bynum) spelled him a times. What a joke!

hsxvvd
02-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Kwame was a much better defender on Duncan than Bynum will ever be. Hell, Turiaf is better. Bynum will do an 'Amare' and spend the playoffs in foul trouble.

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Round one:

Mavs defeat Houston
Spurs Defeat New Orleans

Round Two:

Mavs Defeat Utah
Spurs Defeat the Suns

WCF

MAVS VS. SPURS

So either Utah or Phoenix eliminates the Lakers in Round 1?

Borosai
02-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Good times.