PDA

View Full Version : Artest....To The Suns?! (Rumor)

Xylus
02-08-2008, 04:43 AM
http://boards.ign.com/basketball/b5109/158641447/p1/?34

According to Gambo, a Phoenix sports radio host, the guy who first locally reported the Shaq trade, the Suns are making a move for Artest. I know very little about the financial workings of the NBA, so I don't even know if it's possible. One guy said this:

Gambo (the same guy who reported that shaq was traded first) said:

- Ron Artest wants out
- Steve Kerr thinks that what they lost with Marion would all be back with the acquistion of Artest
- The Suns only have 12 players and need 1 more
- They have a 8 Million Dollar trade exemption to use before the end of the year and that the Kings are shopping him around to get rid of his contact (edit)

Is Artest worth the headache? Also, maybe you guys can tell me if it's even financially possible for the Suns to do. What would Sacramento want in return?

Findog
02-08-2008, 04:57 AM
The only downside to that would be Artest's questionable attitude and character, but you think he could behave himself for 3 months. Hope that doesn't happen.

Xylus
02-08-2008, 04:58 AM
It's very unlikely at this point, I'd think, but it's sure fun to think about...

Nash
Bell
Artest
Amare
Shaq

Hill
Barbosa
Diaw
DJ Strawberry
Skinner

Findog
02-08-2008, 05:07 AM
artest is getting 7.8 mil this year and 8.4 next year, then he's a FA.

atxrocker
02-08-2008, 05:22 AM
What would Sacramento want in return?

key question

JamStone
02-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Makes about as much sense as Shaq to Phoenix. So it could happen.

Artest has an opt out after this season and has made intimations that he will opt out, at which point he will be a FA this summer.

yourcheatinheart
02-08-2008, 06:48 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/meeks4president/freeron.jpg

Shred
02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Makes about as much sense as Shaq to Phoenix.

Absolutely. We probably ought to be expecting it, now.

JMarkJohns
02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I actually like this trade a lot. There are of course concerns, but perhaps along with Shaq will come a more deliberate style of offense. Push when there, but when it isn't run some actual plays. Artest can play SG to PF for the Suns and would allow them to run their 7 seconds or less offense when Shaq isn't on the floor.

Plus, with no longterm commitment, I think this is a move Sarver could actually stomach. Bring him in this and maybe next year for less than half of what you were paying Marion each year.

I wouldn't want to trade the Atl 1st for him, so I don't know how this would work, but if it could happen without giving up that pick, then I'd welcome it.

Lord knows they are trying to get tougher. Along the way they may get a little psycho, but it's nice to see Sarver doing something for once. Even if I have reservations about the moves, he's taking on salary rather than dumping it, attempting to fill needs and, with another potential move like this or Miller, adding invaluable depth.

ancestron
02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
no way

mrsmaalox
02-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Is the Suns goal to win a championship or to have the lowest IQ in the NBA?

bostonguy
02-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Damn if Ron can stay normal with the Suns for the rest of the year, holy shit that will be a solid team. Make Hill come off the bench as a 6th man role. I'd still try to trade Diaw but I am not sure if that is possible.

RonMexico
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I don't know what it would take to get him, but I might welcome it. Still need a swingman who can guard guys from Parker to Dirk and Ron-Ron fills that role.

He also fills the mopey role relinquished by Marion.

The Dude
02-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Good luck with that man

MoSpur
02-08-2008, 10:37 AM
If I'm the Suns I make it happen. Nash is not getting younger.

ambchang
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
This would be a great deal for the Suns, and would make them much tougher in the paint.
I only hope that Artest would hold on to the ball too long and take the decision making out of Nash's hand, thus choking their offense.

Fabbs
02-08-2008, 11:35 AM

According to Gambo, a Phoenix sports radio host, the guy who first locally reported the Shaq trade, the Suns are making a move for Artest. I know very little about the financial workings of the NBA, so I don't even know if it's possible. One guy said this:

Is Artest worth the headache? Also, maybe you guys can tell me if it's even financially possible for the Suns to do. What would Sacramento want in return?

Is Gambo legit beyond his being the first local to report ShaqSuns?
Do Suns have expiring(s) to give back plus that high pick via ATL.
Yes Suns should do this in a heartbeat.
Spurs need to jump in and block.
Barry etc for Artest NOW!

BillsCarnage
02-08-2008, 12:08 PM

First off, the whole Shaq rumor started on Jan. 30th, i believe, from a poster on hoopshype or realgm. To me that's when it all started and unless that caller is that poster - which I highly, highly doubt - he's just trying to take credit.

I'd take Artest if he could STFU and Shaq may be able to keep him quiet, but again, high risk, high reward scenario.

Another option could be Nocioni. Final year of his contract and there wouldn't be the long term commitment with someone like Miller.

BonnerDynasty
02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
If this happens I will punch a hole in the wall.

This is bullshit with all these teams getting stars all of a sudden. Fuck that.

Whisky Dog
02-08-2008, 01:17 PM
The Shaq move alone doesn't make the Suns any better (I actually think it makes them worse), but adding Artest without losing anyone from the current roster would seriously bolster that team. Artest is the missing piece, the perimeter defender and tough nosed rebounder who can make that team very solid. There still would be all sorts of chemistry issues and I don't know if they could rev up to a high enough level to win a title with less than half the season to play together, but on paper that looks like a very tough lineup.

to21
02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Hey! Get yo ass back in the Quattro!

BTW, that was a good one......every once in a while you come up with a good one.

Every once in a while.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
The Suns core is an extremely experienced group. You add Artest + Shaq and you have one dangerous team. I don't even think chemistry issues would matter.

The only way I see this trade happening is if the Kings do this out of spite against the Lakers. So yes there is a very good possibility this happens.

RonMexico
02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Jeff,

That's your best take yet.

riDIRKulous
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Do it Phoenix. Get that crazy fool on your team for the next two years. Take yourself even farther out of the title race and back to a laughing stock.

riDIRKulous
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Obviously Kerr didn't pay much attention to Pop and RC during his time in SA.

Bruno
02-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Right now, I think Suns aren't as good as last year but if they get Artest, it will change a lot of things. A trade like their trade exception + Atlanta pick for Artest will put Suns deep into luxury tax territory. I'm not sure Sarver will agree with that.

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM

I always thought it was about the Ratings!

sprrs
02-08-2008, 05:49 PM
A team with Shaq, Amare and Ron will sure be fun to watch, if only for the off-court entertainment.

That being said, depending on what they give up, that could be a very scary team with Artest.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah, that's like $12 million in luxury tax this season total. I would be surprised.

bostonguy
02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, that's like $12 million in luxury tax this season total. I would be surprised.

Hey bro at least your Hawks have gotten it together. That pick wont be a horrible one but it wont be a high pick either. Your Hawks could very well make the playoffs dawg. I bet you are excited about their future.

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey bro at least your Hawks have gotten it together. That pick wont be a horrible one but it wont be a high pick either. Your Hawks could very well make the playoffs dawg. I bet you are excited about their future.

I'd say Chump is more excited about the Toros' future. :)