PDA

View Full Version : Miller pays no mind to trade talk

crc21209
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
GM says if right deal comes, he'll take it

By Ronald Tillery (Contact)
Friday, February 8, 2008

If Mike Miller is supposed to appear depressed, restless or openly bothered by the loud construction noise going on in FedExForum, someone forgot to alert the veteran sharpshooter that his mood should swing right about now.

When the doors opened Thursday to the practice court, the Grizzlies' swingman was all smiles.

He helped the new guys get through the plays.

He joked with more familiar teammates, and then hoisted extra shots after practice ended in preparation for the Grizzlies' road game tonight against Dallas.

What Miller said he can't help is that his name continues to swirl in trade rumors.

Since the Griz obliged Damon Stoudamire with a contract buyout, traded Stromile Swift and unloaded Pau Gasol's contract for draft picks and salary-cap relief, Miller has been left with a young, rebuilding team and constant speculation that he's next in line to depart Memphis.

Miller knows that it's possible that he'll be dealt by the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline but he seems unaffected by the notion.

"If a deal comes they can't refuse, I don't expect them not to take it," Miller said. "We understand each other. I told them I'm going to play as hard as I can. I'm going to try to win games. And they've been completely honest with me."

Miller spoke recently with Griz brass -- owner Michael Heisley, general manager Chris Wallace and head coach Marc Iavaroni. The message conveyed was that anything can happen.

But Wallace passionately dispelled a myth making its way around the league.

"I've never had more calls from people checking in and registering interest like they have since we made the trade for Pau," Wallace said. "They think we're in a deal mode. Some teams have an erroneous assumption we're just dropping money.

"People have interest in our players. So I told these guys we're not trying to dump players. But it's our responsibility as a franchise to look at opportunities. I'll never tell a player he can't be traded. That's just not true. You see Shaquille O'Neal just got traded.

"I told Mike that we value him. He's been a terrific asset in the community. He's having a great season. No one is looking to dump him for the sake of dumping. But I also told him people are calling and I can't offer a guarantee (he won't be traded). It would be disingenuous if I did."

Once upon a time, a trade rumor had Miller and Hakim Warrick in a larger deal that would have essentially netted the Grizzlies Lamar Odom of the Los Angeles Lakers. Another speculative trade involves Miller for Miami's Ricky Davis and his expiring $6.8 million contract.

Miller has two years and nearly $19 million left on his contract. What's enticing for potential suitors, though, is one of only three NBA players -- meeting the statistical minimums -- this season shooting better than 50 percent overall, 40 percent from 3-point range and 80 percent from the free-throw line.

Then again, it is not inconceivable that the Griz may seek more salary relief during their commitment to a full-scale rebuild through a young nucleus, draft picks and free agency.

"It's tough," Miller said of the Grizzlies' predicament. "But as long as they show commitment to me, I'll show commitment to them. When they signed me, they didn't promise me it was going to be all easy.

"When I came here we hadn't been to the playoffs and we got there. Now it'll be fun to be a part of a team that makes a playoff push. It's just going to take a lot of work and some time."

But does Miller have the patience that the Griz are asking their fans to display?

"I have to at this point," Miller said. "Until they tell me I'm no longer with the team my patience is there. I've got to believe in what they're doing; otherwise it would be a struggle to come to work every day. So I believe in what they're doing. They want to win just as bad as I do. Sometimes it's harder to be patient when you've been in the league eight years and tasted success."

Wallace emphasized that if Miller is traded, "there will be a basketball reason why we do it."

Miller is hoping for more than that when it comes to motivation for a deal.

"I wouldn't want to leave this place and go to a place that doesn't have a chance of winning," Miller said. "That's what scares me. ... At least here we care about winning. If teams are making offers right now I hope it's teams that are trying to win a championship."

ploto
02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
No one is looking to dump him for the sake of dumping. But I also told him people are calling and I can't offer a guarantee (he won't be traded). It would be disingenuous if I did.

ancestron
02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Get him!

BillsCarnage
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
The Grizz want to dump as much salary as possible for their impending sale. The Suns have a trade exemption that would work perfect, but i don't think Sarver is willing to take that much of a gamble for the next 3yrs.

AZLouis
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Rasheed Wallace played exactly one game as a member of the Atlanta Hawks in 2003-04. The Blazers traded him to Atlanta along with Wesley Person for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff, and Dan Dickau. He scored 20 points in his lone appearance as a Hawk and was then traded to Detroit as part of a three-team deal with Boston. In Detroit he found his greatest success, which included an NBA championship.

Don't be surprised if Shawn Marion's career notes include a similar story.

The rumors floating around - published and unpublished - suggest that the HEAT aren't planning to keep Shawn Marion.

One version of this rumor has the Dallas Mavericks involved. We've heard that it might be as part of a three-team deal that would land Jason Kidd in Dallas (the Mavs don't need Marion when they have Josh Howard), but then we've also heard that it might just be with Dallas. The issue with this particular rumor is that the Mavericks have been adamant in saying they're not dealing Howard or Devin Harris - and one of them would certainly have to go if the team were to acquire either Kidd or Marion. Avery Johnson denies his team is looking at any trades and Mark Cuban refuted this rumor specifically, saying he has not spoken with the HEAT at all. The Mavericks are pretty straightforward in these matters. If they say they're not dealing, they most likely aren't.

So where does Marion land?

There are several other teams floating out in the limitless land of internet rumor mills, but we can deduce a few facts from Pat Riley's comments about his long-term plan. The HEAT want expiring contracts so they can be major players in the summer free agent market. They want to land a top draft pick and rebuild around Wade, the pick, and their free agent acquisition(s).

The HEAT are willing to trade Udonis Haslem, with Orlando being a real possibility. But Miami is also interested in Mike Miller, and might want to make him the other piece they build around with Wade. Marion would certainly be a nice fit with the youth movement going on in Memphis. He could be the veteran leader, much like Joe Johnson left to become in Atlanta.

There are plenty of 'what ifs' out there, but with a number of sources telling us Marion won't be in Miami for long, it seems the HEAT are still in play for a major trade. Stay tuned to HOOPSWORLD for more on this emerging story.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7323

ploto
02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Suffice it to say-- Lots of team are interested in Mike Miller.