PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Shaq called Nash out on his MVP

O-Factor
02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Shaq says recent MVP awards ‘tainted’
‘I don't know what y'all vote for,' Heat center says of 'last four or five years'

MSNBC News Services
updated 12:30 a.m. CT, Tues., Feb. 27, 2007
Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal caused a firestorm of controversy when, asked about whether Dirk Nowitzki had a good chance to win MVP this season, he said the award was "tainted the last four or five years," according to several media reports.

Reporters asked O'Neal about Nowitzki's MVP chances right after the Mavericks had blown out the Heat last Thursday, the Miami Herald reported.

"I don’t know. I don’t know how y’all get that award," O'Neal said, the Herald reported. "That award’s been kinda tainted the last four or five years, so I don’t know what y'all vote for."

The story picked up momentum when reporters told Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash, the two-time MVP, that O'Neal said the award was tainted the last two years.

Nash didn't fire back, saying only, "I'm sorry he feels that way," the Herald and Arizona Republic reported.

Nash won the past two MVPs. Before that, Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett won for the 2003-04 season, and San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan won back-to-back MVPs before that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17350941/

Now Shaq wants to try to ride his coat tails to a championship.
:lmao

ancestron
02-08-2008, 11:47 AM
No big deal. Shaq will laugh his way out of it if it's ever brought up. Besides, would YOU ever confront Shaq about ANYTHING?

Nash is a classy guy, too. If he hasn't already forgotten about it, which he probably has, I'm sure he'll make no mention of it.
Nash, for all the talk about people saying he's soft and this and that, he never complains or says that something is unfair, or that he and his team got cheated somehow. He always takes his licks like a man and just keeps plugging along. I admire that about him, since he certainly has had his fair share of disappointments in his career.

ploto
02-08-2008, 11:49 AM
And remember what Damon said about the Spurs....

Spuradicator
02-08-2008, 12:01 PM

I don't remember. But players call teams and talk shit all the time. Must of not been as big as Shaq ripping Nash's accomplishments. Thats personal. Fuck Shaq.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2008, 12:43 PM
And remember what Damon said about the Spurs....What he said when he wanted to join the Spurs. About Avery. Who is no longer here.

You fail.

Again.

Jeremy
02-08-2008, 04:37 PM
It was already brought up to Shaq yesterday:

Suns center Shaquille O'Neal was quoted a year ago in Dallas as questioning how the media votes for the league MVP and that Suns guard Steve Nash's two MVP awards were tainted.

"No, I never said that," O'Neal said Thursday.

"Did I? If I said that, delete it from the files."

O'Neal broke out into a big smile, because he relishes the chance to play with Nash, noting how much easier it will be for him to run on offense when he knows the ball will come to him.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0208sunsnb0208.html

He also said (apparently before the "tainted" thing was brought up, although the above article quotes it afterwards):

"He's one of the only guys who I feel beat me out for the MVP fair and square. No questions asked. A lot of guys was like, 'Come on.' But this guy, look at what he can do and what he's done. When they asked me about it, I just had to give it up to him. He's a great player. Very, very unselfish. Too unselfish at times. I haven't had that in a while so I look forward to getting easy baskets. [...]"

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0208shaqquotesonline0208.html

bdubya
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I predict that the first time Shaq takes his eyes off Nash, he'll get a bullet pass to the back of the head.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Suns center Shaquille O'Neal was quoted a year ago in Dallas as questioning how the media votes for the league MVP and that Suns guard Steve Nash's two MVP awards were tainted.

"No, I never said that," O'Neal said Thursday.

"Did I? If I said that, delete it from the files."
I'm sure Shaq's embarrassed about that. Shaq's runs his mouth off too much. He's not that smart in that department. Now he wishes he could take it back about Nash.

I predict that the first time Shaq takes his eyes off Nash, he'll get a bullet pass to the back of the head.
:lol

sprrs
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Nash, for all the talk about people saying he's soft and this and that, he never complains or says that something is unfair, or that he and his team got cheated somehow. He always takes his licks like a man and just keeps plugging along. I admire that about him, since he certainly has had his fair share of disappointments in his career.

That's either sarcasm or you missed his interview after they got knocked out last year.

ancestron
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
*phone rings at the Nash residence, as Steve leans back and answers it*

Nash: "Hello?"

Shaq: "Hi Steve, this is The Big Aristotle."

Nash: "Who?"

Shaq: "You know, The Big Corpulent. The Big Geritol. Wilt Camberneezy?"

Nash: "Wilt's dead, is this a prank call?"

*In the background you can hear Steve's wife yelling at him to hang up the damn phone.*

Shaq: ...

Shaq: "It's Shaq."

Nash: "Oh, hi Shaq. What's up?"

Shaq: "Nothing. Just calling to let you know your first MVP is still tainted you dumb mothafu-"

*click*

(from Basketbawful.com)

mavsfan1000
02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
*phone rings at the Nash residence, as Steve leans back and answers it*

Nash: "Hello?"

Shaq: "Hi Steve, this is The Big Aristotle."

Nash: "Who?"

Shaq: "You know, The Big Corpulent. The Big Geritol. Wilt Camberneezy?"

Nash: "Wilt's dead, is this a prank call?"

*In the background you can hear Steve's wife yelling at him to hang up the damn phone.*

Shaq: ...

Shaq: "It's Shaq."

Nash: "Oh, hi Shaq. What's up?"

Shaq: "Nothing. Just calling to let you know your first MVP is still tainted you dumb mothafu-"

*click*

(from Basketbawful.com)

SpursDynasty
02-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Most awards are tainted. Nash's two MVPs I can understand...but Dirk as MVP? And Camby as Defensive Player of the Year? Boris Diaw as Sixth Man? etc.

Most are shit awards.

Xylus
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Boris Diaw never won Sixth Man.

JMarkJohns
02-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Most awards are tainted. Nash's two MVPs I can understand...but Dirk as MVP? And Camby as Defensive Player of the Year? Boris Diaw as Sixth Man? etc.

Most are shit awards.

I don't understand what's so hard about seeing Camby as DPOY - nearly 12 rpg, 3.3 bpg and 1.3 spg is fantastic for a center. Diaw was never sixth man. Barbosa was, and deservedly so. Diaw was most improved player and, though West had a compelling arguement, each's improvement came with a big increase in minutes with West going from 18 minutes per game to 34 per and Diaw going from 18 per to 35 per. West averaged 10.9 ppg more than the previous season, 3.1 rpg more, 1 apg more and had nearly the same bpg average. Diaw averaged 8.5 ppg more, 4.3 rpg more, 3.9 apg more and jumped from .25 bpg to 1.05 bpg. Diaw, in roughly equal minutes, increase had a higher improvement per-game average in rebounds, assists and blocks and was only two points behind West in ppg, which stems from taking nearly 300 fewer shots total. Diaw shot a better percentage from the field than did West, though not by much.

As for Nash's two MVPs. He was deserving of the first, but deserved the second. The second MVP was a no-doubter with him taking a rag-tag group of Bell, Barbosa, House, Jones, Diaw and Thomas to game 6 of the WCF. Save for Marion, his talent was a FA chosen not to be resigned to a very resonable contract, a bench comboguard that was nearly traded for anything, three role players that never quite stuck and a recently waived wing-forward.

I think it's far to argue his first, because Shaq was just as deserving, but no one will ever convince me he didn't deserve that second.

Not that you took issue with either. Just sayin'...

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Boris Diaw never won Sixth Man.

san antonio spurs
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
he's right. He won MIP

ducks
02-09-2008, 11:17 PM
he said that about aj who is a piece of shit
and is no longer considered a spur player