PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Not Spinning Over Moves Of Lakers, Suns

duncan228
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2008-02-07-duncan-shaq_N.htm

Spurs not spinning over moves of Lakers, Suns

One NBA team was keenly interested in the whopper deals a pair of contending Western Conference teams pulled off the last week. Yes, folks, those old, boring and utterly reliable San Antonio Spurs, defending champions and winners of three of the last five NBA crowns, took notes on the high-profile acquisitions by those who seek to thwart their dynastic ambitions.

Hey, Pops, it's your turn to bust a move.

"I never feel pressure to make a deal," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We talk to everybody, just like the other 29 teams. If something makes sense, we'll do it. But making deals because you feel pressure is a recipe for failure."

The Spurs did sign point guard Damon Stoudamire last week, and he's started the last two games, both wins, for injured Tony Parker.

The task for San Antonio, and every other competitive team in the West, has become that much more daunting now that Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'Neal are wintering in California and Arizona, respectively. As the Spurs' Robert Horry observed, "The whole complexion of the West has been changed."

"Now you've got to really watch and scout them," he said. "You don't know how those players are going to interact, what kind of chemistry they will have."

Last week, the Los Angeles Lakers traded for Gasol, who seems an ideal match, giving the team a formidable frontcourt that includes Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, when he returns from injury.

This week, in what some deemed a desperation move, the Phoenix Suns, with the best record in the West but ousted three of the last four postseasons by the Spurs, landed O'Neal. On paper, the lumbering veteran center seems an imperfect fit in the team's frantic offensive style.

The Spurs' Tim Duncan said he believed the deal was done, in part, to thwart his own dominant inside presence.

"I've got to imagine that was the point of it," he said.

The Spurs, whose play has been sporadic because of injuries to key players, are seeded fifth in the West, and the trades make it "even tougher than it already was — for everybody," Popovich said.

"No. 1, I think they both deserve credit for being creative and thinking out of the box — especially Phoenix," Popovich said. "That's something nobody would've expected, really. They're just laying it out there and going after it, and you have to respect that.

"As far as the Lakers are concerned, they just got whole real quick. They'll be one hell of a team with (coach Phil Jackson's) offense and the way Pau fits into that. They're going to be just dynamite. Phoenix might take a little bit more time to work things through. Losing a perimeter guy like (Shawn Marion) and adding a great big guy like Shaq will take a little bit more adjustment."

Suns general manager Steve Kerr, assessing the move, told ESPN.com, "If it works, I'm a genius. If it doesn't, I'm a moron, I guess."

MoSpur
02-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Kerr is keeping it real.

easjer
02-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Suns general manager Steve Kerr, assessing the move, told ESPN.com, "If it works, I'm a genius. If it doesn't, I'm a moron, I guess."

Well, he's certainly got that right. :lol

ancestron
02-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Steve Kerr is evil.

hater
02-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Champions don't flinch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spuradicator
02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Pop is a badass. Guys, sounds like we are ready to make our second half season run.

wildbill2u
02-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I think Pop will use these trades to motivate the team

(eg. everyone is ganging up on us because they still think we're the team to beat. Don't give up on yourselves cause we've hit a bad patch of injuries, keep hammering the rock, etc.)

MajicMan
02-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Champions don't flinch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Champions also defend their titles. Spurs never repeat.

ClingingMars
02-08-2008, 04:25 PM

Suns never win championships in the first place.

:lmao

-Mars

ehz33satx
02-08-2008, 04:29 PM
With teams loading up on big men, like the Lakers having Gasol, Odom, and Bynum, are the Spurs still going to play small ball nearly every game, or are we going to utilize the big men we have? I know alot of you will say our big men suck, but Elson and Bonner can run alot faster than Shaq can, they can sprint down the floor before he does and get some easy lay ups instead of the Spurs jump shooting the ball from 20 feet out or jacking up 3's like all the other teams do. I am tired of it. I want to watch big men dunking and laying the ball in AT THE RIM over smaller guys, damn it!!!!

ehz33satx
02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Thats the talk of someone jealous. 4 titles is 4 titles regardless if they are in consecutive years. Spurs are still 4 X Champions.

sprrs
02-08-2008, 05:37 PM

What does that make the Suns?

jmard5
02-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Hey MajicMan, any fan whose team does not sport a championship banner in their arena has no right to smacktalk a team that has four.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Champions don't have to defend anything, really. They're still champions and there's nothing haters can do about it.