02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2008/news/story?id=3235676

NBA players to take part in 10 community projects throughout New Orleans
Associated Press

Updated: February 7, 2008, 5:06 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
NEW YORK -- Before they take to the basketball court in New Orleans, Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan will help unveil a new one.

The court refurbishment and dedication at the Mahalia Jackson School in Central City was among the plans the NBA announced Thursday for its "All-Star Day of Service" next Friday, two days before the All-Star game at New Orleans Arena.

Players will take part in 10 projects throughout the city, ranging from the rebuilding of homes to the construction of playgrounds. The league expects more than 2,500 people in town for the weekend to participate in one of the community efforts.

"This is a standard operating procedure for us. It's who we are and what we do," commissioner David Stern said. "We're doing it a little bit more in New Orleans for a couple of reasons, but the most important of which in some way is to demonstrate how the city is in fact coming back."

It's the largest yet in a number of efforts the NBA has made to aid the city's recovery. Stern announced New Orleans would host All-Star weekend in May 2006, just nine months after Hurricane Katrina had devastated the region. Two months earlier, the Hornets hosted the Los Angeles Lakers in the first professional sports event in New Orleans after the hurricane.

This season, every visiting team will take part in a community service activity.

"I've done a lot of stuff in New Orleans as it is, I'm looking forward to doing some more," Lakers All-Star Kobe Bryant said earlier this week. "But that's one of the places that I've really been active in. It's something else for us to do in New Orleans."

Bryant will be part of crew that will construct homes with Habitat for Humanity. LeBron James is part of a team helping restore existing homes that have been abandoned, while others will aid in the cleaning up and improvement of schools.

Garnett, Duncan and some other players who endorse adidas will be at the community center, where three playgrounds will be built. Adidas is one of the sponsors of that event, one of the 30 partner organizations contributing millions of dollars and product donations.

The weekend won't be all work, though.

"The Friday activity is sort of a Friday day of giving. But after that, hey, I mean just as the people who came to the Sugar Bowl, the BCS championship, the Mardi Gras, this is a town that knows how to host a big party. We're going to party some," Stern said. "But Friday is an opportunity to have a day of service. Because this is an American city and this is everybody's city and we have to do a good job of helping them out."

samikeyp
02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
:clap :toast

T Park
02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Seeing as Duncan didn't donate anything during Katrina its about time.

KG is all class though, donated the million dollars or so the first time around and doin more.

Right on KG.

Phenomanul
02-08-2008, 02:12 PM

KG is all class though, donated the million dollars or so the first time around and doin more.

Right on KG.

How do you know??? Maybe Duncan doesn't parade all of his donations in the media...

Kermit
02-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Right on KG.

And how much did you contribute?

Kori Ellis
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
How do you know???

TPark has access to TD's financial records :)

T Park
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
And how much did you contribute?

I didn't know I was the subject of the thread.

T Park
02-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe Duncan doesn't parade all of his donations in the media...

Maybe not.

But he didn't participate in much of the help around the time of Katrina either like KG and alot of others did.

T Park
02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
TPark has access to TD's financial records

Nope.

I just remember us laughing at the forum for ripping on KG for making a donation and us laughing that no one brought up the fact that Duncan hadn't.

He may have since then.

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't know how you can know whether Tim made a contribution or not, TPark. You seem to just be assuming that he didn't. I don't know, given how private Tim is (something we all know very well), that you can reasonably make that kind of an assumption. It might very well be that Tim made a significant contribution but chose not to have his people publicize that contribution.

Unless you have cold, hard facts to show that Timmy did nothing, I don't think your assumption is particularly well-founded. In fact, I'd be quite surprised if a guy who knows ever so well about the havoc that a hurricane can wreak chose not to use his considerable means to offer at least some help to those affected by the storm.

T Park
02-08-2008, 02:50 PM
All I said was he didn't make a contribution along with the other players, and chose not to play in the charity game and visit everyone down there along with Kobe, McGrady and the rest.

I don't see how that can be disputed.

Phenomanul
02-08-2008, 02:52 PM
A game Kenny Smith organized...
A game in which no Spur was invited...

Kori Ellis
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
All I said was he didn't make a contribution along with the other players, and chose not to play in the charity game and visit everyone down there along with Kobe, McGrady and the rest.

I don't see how that can be disputed.

That's not what you said.

You said, "Seeing as Duncan didn't donate anything during Katrina its about time," which is something you couldn't possible know. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

And yes, props to KG for his philanthropic work.

greyforest
02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
maybe if fema actually spent that $3,400,000,000 on katrina relief instead of politicians and corporate executives stealing half of it in no bid contracts, nobody would have to donate

ClingingMars
02-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Unless you personally know Duncan or have donated yourself, you have no right to speak.

-Mars

Kermit
02-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I didn't know I was the subject of the thread.
Tell us how much you donated, then you can dog Tim for not donating. Otherwise, who cares? The high and mighty shit only works when you've done something the other person hasn't.

T Park
02-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Tell us how much you donated, then you can dog Tim for not donating. Otherwise, who cares? The high and mighty shit only works when you've done something the other person hasn't.

I'll say how much, and then no one would believe it, so what good would that do.

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
TPark's contributions (while surely quite generous) are irrelevant to whether or not Tim Duncan contributed. The point of the questions posed to TPark isn't to compare him to Duncan; it's to question the facts that TPark is relying upon in saying that Duncan didn't contribute.

I'm glad that TPark is the generous person he proves himself to be with such regularity; I just wish he wouldn't assume that all professional athletes and celebrities choose to publicize their charity work (or that such people haven't made contributions unless they publicize it).

duncan228
02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Hey lefty...I had this in the Robinson thread last night.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86618&page=2

Does that mean we're even in the "I beat you" thing? :lmao
(It's been fun. :lol)

Duncan is all over this All Star Weekend.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7839477

NBA details on day of community service in New Orleans
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Before they take to the basketball court in New Orleans, Boston's Kevin Garnett and San Antonio's Tim Duncan will help unveil a new one.

The court refurbishment and dedication at the Mahalia Jackson School in Central City is part of the NBA "All-Star Day of Service" next Friday, February 15th.

The All-Star game at New Orleans Arena is February 17th.

Players will take part in ten projects throughout the city, ranging from the rebuilding of homes to the construction of playgrounds.

Recovery continues from 2005's Hurricane Katrina.

This season, every visiting team will take part in a community service activity.

polandprzem
02-08-2008, 05:15 PM

Part of showoff?

lefty
02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey lefty...I had this in the Robinson thread last night.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86618&page=2

Does that mean we're even in the "I beat you" thing? :lmao
(It's been fun. :lol)

Duncan is all over this All Star Weekend.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7839477

NBA details on day of community service in New Orleans
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Before they take to the basketball court in New Orleans, Boston's Kevin Garnett and San Antonio's Tim Duncan will help unveil a new one.

The court refurbishment and dedication at the Mahalia Jackson School in Central City is part of the NBA "All-Star Day of Service" next Friday, February 15th.

The All-Star game at New Orleans Arena is February 17th.

Players will take part in ten projects throughout the city, ranging from the rebuilding of homes to the construction of playgrounds.

Recovery continues from 2005's Hurricane Katrina.

Damn

It's impossible!!!!

:pctoss :pctoss

You can't beat me !!!

I'm still leading 3-1 :D

duncan228
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Damn

It's impossible!!!!

:pctoss :pctoss

You can't beat me !!!

I'm still leading 3-1 :D

:lmao

You're actually keeping score? :lmao

It is a fun game we've got going on. :)

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Right on KG.
yeah how dare he not donate to people who are stupid enough to build below sea level and beg for people to bail them out!

Don Quixote
02-08-2008, 11:32 PM
yeah how dare he not donate to people who are stupid enough to build below sea level and beg for people to bail them out!

How shall I put this politely?

Let's clear this up. Not all of my city is below sea level. In fact, over 50% is above sea level. While the 20th century drainage system has probably created the sinking in certain areas of town (e.g., Michoud, New Orleans East), it's not like N.O. is the only city in America that relies on levees and engineering. Lots of cities do. The problems in my city are not really engineering -- it's a corrupt, welfare-dependent city with a deep sense of entitlement.

And we're not all stupid, either. I knew what I was getting into when we moved here. I know you all in San Antonio and wherever have this idea that the whole city is a big ghetto, and everyone just wanted a handout. Well, the floods didn't just destroy the Lower 9th, Treme, and Gentilly. They also got Lakeview (predominately white and upper-class) and New Orleans East (mixed). But I never saw Jesse Jackson marching in Lakeview.

And I never asked for a handout to bail me out. But if you're offering, yeah, I'll take your $$.

Don Quixote
02-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I'll have to apologize. I get touchy when people around the country talk about New Orleans, how stupid the whole situation is, what we did wrong, and what we need to do. I have to fight the urge to point out that they've never lived here, only come to get drunk, and should just STFU. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so sensitive.

Don't judge us all by the idiots you see on the news.

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:35 PM
I am not from sa
I have been to there
that place makes me sick
I know not everyone wants a handout but most of them do
sorry for including everyone

I am just sick of people wanting small goverment but then want them to bail everyone out

Don Quixote
02-08-2008, 11:48 PM
We appreciate everyone who has come to help.

lefty
02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
:lmao

You're actually keeping score? :lmao

It is a fun game we've got going on. :)

You'll have a great opportunity to take the lead in the upcoming weeks, as I'll be really busy, and too lazy to keep track of the articles posted.

:madrun

duncan228
02-09-2008, 12:11 AM
You'll have a great opportunity to take the lead in the upcoming weeks, as I'll be really busy, and too lazy to keep track of the articles posted.

:madrun

It should be okay because I'm not keeping score.
So even if I get you I won't know it! :lol

I'll try my best to post more than just Duncan stuff so I cover for you while you're busy. :)

dbreiden83080
02-09-2008, 02:37 AM

Right on KG.

That is fucking bullshit right there. Tim is one of the classiest men to ever play pro-sports. He does not whore himself to the media with his donations like the phony fucks in the world like Kobe. Notice how he was all over that Katrina stuff with charity not long after he was being dogged in the media with his rape charges. Any idiot can see throught that bullshit. You are way out of line, thinking Timmy did not do his part just because he did not advertise it.

Spurs Brazil
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/84/fullj.ca140f150260b39e86f5d9530765968b/ca140f150260b39e86f5d9530765968b-getty-79624322adb012_day_of_service.jpg

3496f14fddfd1f9a4d922d90873d5dad/3496f14fddfd1f9a4d922d90873d5dad-getty-79624322adb001_day_of_service.jpg

SequSpur
02-15-2008, 07:55 PM
what a dick... didn't donate a thing to katrina.