PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi

JPB
02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
If Spurs can't/don't want to trade for a big man, will Ian have a role to play sooner than expected ?

Few years back, when shaq was in LA, SA used to have hat extra big stiff ala Mengke Bateer or Sean Marks who had their 6 fouls to give.

With the big daddy going east and the rising of small ball, perimeter became a bigger concern as long as the search of that graal that is the legendary long 3.

Now than O'Neal is back and with the Gasol trade, big men quotation are up again on this side of America.

So, if we can't get Haslem or any valuable inside player, will Pop trust Ian to be that extra big ?

timvp
02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Mahinmi can get pushed around pretty easily by D-Leaguers. You put him on Shaq and Shaq would flatten him. Mahinmi still has a lot of work in the weight room to do.

Mahinmi could be the answer sooner than expected as in next season but I don't think he's an option this season. Good idea but I haven't seen anything out of the Spurs indicating they plan to give Mahinmi a shot this season.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Barring an injury, doubtful.

JPB
02-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Ian was not expected to be for this year, no doubt about it and I'm sure he's gonna have a busy offseason.

But the deal has changed the past few days and if we can't get a decent big or if we lose Elson in a trade, for Miller for example, we'll have to find someone not necesseraly to defend Shaq but Gasol or Amare.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 05:29 PM
They've got four other big men to try before Ian.

Hell, Pop would probably put Finley on Shaq before Ian

If we trade Elson without getting a big man back, maybe he'd see some burn -- but I'd want to pick up another big man from the D-League or somewhere else as well.

thispego
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM
spurs could have picked glen davis over marcus williams. stupid stupid pick

Bruno
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
If Spurs trade Elson and don't get a bigman in return, giving some burn to Mahinmi could be a good idea. I doubt it would give a positive result but it's worth the try.
However, it shouldn't be against Shaq but against mobile PF. Elson aside, Mahinmi is by far the quickest Spurs bigman.

If Shaq plays well and Elson is traded, I can see Spurs signing a solid center. PJ Brown is the ideal solution but if he doesn't want to come back, players like Olowakandi and Kelwin Cato makes sense against Shaq.

whottt
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
You know...Ian on Shaq is an ugly image...Ian on Amare OTOH, well let's just say it doesn't get much uglier than 37ppg.

What we don't know is how well Ian's offensive improvement will transfer to the NBA...it's possible it could transfer well...and that does make him an option to consider.

whottt
02-08-2008, 05:47 PM
spurs could have picked glen davis over marcus williams. stupid stupid pick

Nice take there...I agree.

JPB
02-08-2008, 06:00 PM
You know...Ian on Shaq is an ugly image...Ian on Amare OTOH, well let's just say it doesn't get much uglier than 37ppg.

What we don't know is how well Ian's offensive improvement will transfer to the NBA...it's possible it could transfer well...and that does make him an option to consider.

I would above all expect decent defense from him. That would already be nice.
Let's trust TD for the scoring.

whottt
02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I would above all expect decent defense from him.

Well he has struggled with fouls in the D-league...so going up against Shaq or Amare is likely to be a serious problem if he puts too much effort on D.

That would already be nice.
Let's trust TD for the scoring.

Well of course...but you know, at some point, someone is going to have to defend Shaq...and Duncna may be the best Shaq defender on the team...

Besides, the best defense is foul trouble...

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Ian should have a pretty easy time of it tonight unless he hacks at the guards. The next two home games against Iowa and Dakota should be better tests for him.

Thompson
02-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Oberto actually did a pretty good job on Shaq last time they met. I remember it because it surprised me.

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Ian should have a pretty easy time of it tonight unless he hacks at the guards.

Have they tried shock therapy?

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Ian had a good night.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20080208/AUSRGV/boxscore.html

He didn't foul out until the last couple of minutes of the game when it was already in hand.

Looks like all the Toros worst ballhogs might be gone and they can now gear up for a stretch run. I'll write some more about it later.

wildbill2u
02-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Ian's too light to take Shaq on. At 325, Shaq would muscle right over him. The small guys who've been able to hold their own (or at least not get beaten to death) have been more muscular and carried their weight lower down on their frame--a la Rose.