PDA

View Full Version : Popovich pops off on Grizzlies' controversial swap

Pages : [1] 2 3

Budkin
02-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Go Pop! :tu

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/02/08/popovich.grizzlies/index.html

Gasol trade sparks war of words
Popovich pops off on Grizzlies' controversial swap

By Chris Mannix, SI.com

NEW YORK -- Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace went on the offensive against his critics on Thursday, calling the unattributed criticism of the Pau Gasol trade from other general managers "pillow talk" and daring any league executives to go on the record against the deal.

Before Friday night's game against the Knicks, Spurs president and head coach Gregg Popovich did just that.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committe that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

When told that Wallace had challenged executives to criticize the deal publicly, Popovich replied, "Well, there you go. I'm on the record."

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
:tu

AFBlue
02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Guess that means no deal for Mike Miller....

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Awesome :tu

Good man.

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 10:35 PM
:lol

T Park

Pop totally said this with his trademark sarcasm and dry humor.

I can see the ugly wry smile just reading it.

Findog
Pop is Good People

MajicMan
02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Cry me a river tankers. You guys had "David soft as a marshmallow Robinson" and tanked it to get Duncan. Pop replaces Mike D as the biggest whiner in the league. Lakers already did y'all a favor by blowing up their team the first time around. Just goes to show you guys can only win by default or cheating like how you did when you tanked the season to get Timmy.

timvp

Pop totally said this with his trademark sarcasm and dry humor.

I can see the ugly wry smile just reading it.Uh, no. Pop is pissed.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
Oh yeah! Oops... :bang :bang :bang :pctoss

:depressed

Oh well... That's what happens when you don't play the game, and value integrity.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Guess that means no deal for Mike Miller....No shit.

Hey, maybe this is this year's version of the "Fire Up The Troops" pep talk.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Just goes to show you guys can only win by default or cheating like how you did when you tanked the season to get Timmy.
It's hard to be good when your 2 of your 3 best players were constantly injured.

Findog
It looks like we're not getting Miller either. They wouldn't want Stack or Terry's contract. I'd love to see the Mavs make a run at the duo of Wally S and Kurt Thomas then.

slayermin
Fantasy basketball has more restrictions on collusion than the NBA.

Findog
It's like the Lakers are the New York Yankees and the Grizzlies are the Kansas City A's.

xmas1997

Yup, one bridge burned right there for sure!
So I guess a blow job is out of the question? :lol

objective
02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Good that he said it . . .

but I guess that kills any chance of the Spurs being in on a Mike Miller trade

remingtonbo2001
How do you use the Ignore button?

I'm tired of attention whores like Majicman.

Findog
It IS the Grizzlies though. They probably thought they were getting a good deal.

timvp
Guess that means no deal for Mike Miller....Yeah, that's why it's not a very smart thing for Pop to do. Good luck ever trading with the Grizzlies again.

But perhaps, as whottt mentioned previously, the Spurs got shot down when trying to get Mike Miller and that pissed the Spurs off even more. If you offer the Grizzlies more than what they got for Pau Gasol and the Grizzlies turn you down, something is fishy.

Seriously, does Jerry West have any role with the Grizzlies? Last I heard he was at least a consultant there ... but I haven't researched lately.

Either way, best option was to bite your tongue and try to get in on the fire sale. I don't see what this does other than pissing off the Grizzlies and probably the Lakers.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Just goes to show you guys can only win by default or cheating like how you did when you tanked the season to get Timmy.Now all we have to do is figure out how Phoenix can possibly ever win . . .

http://calnewport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/einstein.jpg

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/blackboard/images/einstein-l.jpg

. . . Still working it, give us a little more time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 10:39 PM
How do you use the Ignore button?

I'm tired of attention whores like Majicman.
Click on their profile and the ignore link is there.

exstatic
02-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Cry me a river tankers. You guys had "David soft as a marshmallow Robinson" and tanked it to get Duncan. Pop replaces Mike D as the biggest whiner in the league. Lakers already did y'all a favor by blowing up their team the first time around. Just goes to show you guys can only win by default or cheating like how you did when you tanked the season to get Timmy.
Spurs set a single season record for player games missed that year. As for David, don't be bitter about losing the lottery. After all, you got Armon Gilliam out of the deal. :lol :rollin

ShoogarBear
02-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Yeah, that's why it's not a very smart thing for Pop to do. Good luck ever trading with the Grizzlies again.
Chris Wallace will be gone in three years, tops.

Findog
02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Supposedly the Bulls offered Nocioni. I understand the principle of acquiring cap space, but what marquee free agents are going to tell their agents to get them to Memphis? They need to stockpile young talent.

Borosai
02-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Good call.

timvp
Chris Wallace will be gone in three years, tops.:lol @ the thought of Wallace making it three years. He's gone whenever Heisley sells the team, which is probably within the year.

debo

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

what a moron :donkey

T Park
2 years if he keeps it up

T Park
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
TIMVP

How can you tell Pop is pissed?

picnroll
02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Wallace made perhaps the stupidest trade in the history of NBA basketball. There are trades that were one sided. There were trades that in retrospect were horrible. But this trade was horrible prospectively. This guy is either a total idiot or West is blowing him.

timmy21_4rings
02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Uh, no. Pop is pissed.

Yepe...Thats how it sounded...

picnroll
02-08-2008, 10:45 PM
2 years if he keeps it up
Because that doesn't even remotely sound like a tongue in cheek type Pop statement.

MajicMan
02-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Why should Pop be pissed? The mighty Spurs have nothing to worry about.

timvp
02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
TIMVP

How can you tell Pop is pissed?This isn't the first time he's gone off on the trade. I saw a tape of his tirade when they were in Washington. He's genuinely pissed.

I do agree that there is something fishy about getting three late first rounders and a second rounder for one of the better bigs in the league. It has reeked of collusion since the first second I saw the trade. If you want to salary dump Gasol, you can get better deals than the one the Grizzlies got. Late first round draft picks and a mid second round draft pick? That's nothing.

There's no way the Grizzlies shopped Gasol for like two and a half years and this was their best offer. Either there was some collusion or Wallace needs to be locked up.

timmy21_4rings
I'd love to see the Mavs make a run at the duo of Wally S and Kurt Thomas then.

Hope Dallas is not dumb..They have two centers that are as good as KT.

WildcardManu
I like it when Phx homers like Majicman worry about the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Finally you make sense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Go Pop! :tu

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/02/08/popovich.grizzlies/index.html

Gasol trade sparks war of words
Popovich pops off on Grizzlies' controversial swap

By Chris Mannix, SI.com

NEW YORK -- Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace went on the offensive against his critics on Thursday, calling the unattributed criticism of the Pau Gasol trade from other general managers "pillow talk" and daring any league executives to go on the record against the deal.

Before Friday night's game against the Knicks, Spurs president and head coach Gregg Popovich did just that.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committe that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

When told that Wallace had challenged executives to criticize the deal publicly, Popovich replied, "Well, there you go. I'm on the record."

:wow

Good for Pop :tu

samikeyp
02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, when Pop gets pissed, good usually things happen. :tu

sribb43
02-08-2008, 10:50 PM
i guess wallace is trying to acquire a team full of point guards...maybe mavs can works something out so they can get Barea from us. Grizz are a joke and we all should feel blessed to be in cities like Dallas and SA that have owners/GM's that are committed to winning

pg: lowry/conley/crittenton/barea

picnroll
I like it when Phx homers like Majicman worry about the Spurs.
Suns are toast. They can kiss it goodbye. Maybe in another ten years they can rebuild to make another failed run at a title.

T Park
wonder if pop could get a collusion hook up with Seattle :lol

Findog
02-08-2008, 10:51 PM
This isn't the first time he's gone off on the trade. I saw a tape of his tirade when they were in Washington. He's genuinely pissed.

I do agree that there is something fishy about getting three late first rounders and a second rounder for one of the better bigs in the league. It has reeked of collusion since the first second I saw the trade. If you want to salary dump Gasol, you can get better deals than the one the Grizzlies got. Late first round draft picks and a mid second round draft pick? That's nothing.

Why would Memphis be so eager to please the Lakers and fuck themselves? I'm not doubting that it's fishy, but I can't figure out the angle, what they're getting out of it. Something related to reducing payroll since Heisley wants to sell?

Findog
02-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Hope Dallas is not dumb..They have two centers that are as good as KT.

Diop is in the doghouse and we need size and scoring at the 2, it's been probably our biggest weakness. I don't know what we have that Memphis would want for Miller, and Wally wants out of Seattle.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Fantasy basketball has more restrictions on collusion than the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Why would Memphis be so eager to please the Lakers and fuck themselves? I'm not doubting that it's fishy, but I can't figure out the angle, what they're getting out of it. Something related to reducing payroll since Heisley wants to sell?

You've got Jerry West there as a front office consultant, the team is getting ready to sell, would need the NBA's blessing to move the team....

timvp
Why would Memphis be so eager to please the Lakers and fuck themselves? I'm not doubting that it's fishy, but I can't figure out the angle, what they're getting out of it. Something related to reducing payroll since Heisley wants to sell?Jerry West.

ShoogarBear
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86184&

COLLUSION '09
The precedent has been set.
Make it so.

DazedAndConfused
I don't want to start a flame war here but I don't think anyone in the Spur's organization should be saying anything about unfair trades. We all know that they rested perfectly healthy players and tanked a season to land Tim Duncan. Even Charles Barkeley, who seems to be a huge Spurs fan these days, publicly called out the Spurs for what they did at the time. In fact the NBA had to change the rules because of what the Spurs did that year. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

Pop is pissed because he knows what this deal could potentially mean for the Lakers. Another dynasty.

T Park
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Kurt Thomas and Wally Szcerbiak for Barry Elson and 3 late second rounders.

FvckMavs
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Do you know who is Jerry West?

timvp
02-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't want to start a flame war here but I don't think anyone in the Spur's organization should be saying anything about unfair trades. We all know that they rested perfectly healthy players and tanked a season to land Tim Duncan. Even Charles Barkeley, who seems to be a huge Spurs fan these days, publicly called out the Spurs for what they did at the time. In fact the NBA had to change the rules because of what the Spurs did that year. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.There were multiple factual errors in there but I bolded the most prominent one.

T Park
02-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't want to start a flame war here but I don't think anyone in the Spur's organization should be saying anything about unfair trades. We all know that they rested perfectly healthy players and tanked a season to land Tim Duncan. Even Charles Barkeley, who seems to be a huge Spurs fan these days, publicly called out the Spurs for what they did at the time. In fact the NBA had to change the rules because of what the Spurs did that year. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

So the Spurs should've played David Robinson on a broken foot?

Genius Laker fan :tu

stfu.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Kurt Thomas and Wally Szcerbiak for Barry Elson and 3 late second rounders.
Barry and Elson barely covers Thomas' contract.

timmy21_4rings
TIMVP

How can you tell Pop is pissed?

You do not talk sarcasm or poke fun of ur opponent every day....Think about Spur's forum reaction if Spurs made the trade and Jackson talk like this every day.

First of all this trade is not bad. I do not find any bad motive among these two teams. Memphis wants to sell the team and wants to get ride of guys that are making big salaries. Just happened that Lakers were in right place at right time. They came up with Brown's contract that is expiring this year.

Do not forget the fact that SA did similar stuff with Scola.

WildcardManu
In fact the NBA had to change the rules because of what the Spurs did that year.

what rule was it they changed?

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Jerry West is not the GM of the Grizzlies. You want to blame someone blame Wallace and the owners of the Grizzlies. They are 100% behind this trade.

Jerry West he is the last person on the planet to do something like that to help out a former team. Don't disrespect his name like that. There is a reason why he is on the NBA logo, and it's because he represents class and dignity that all NBA players should follow. If you all remember your history he didn't exactly leave the Lakers on good terms anyways.

Findog

Former Laker Great and Grizz GM?
:rolleyes

I thought he left the GM job on bad terms.

T Park
First of all this trade is not bad

Are you fuckin nuts?

They got Pau Gasol for peanuts.

bostonguy
02-08-2008, 10:58 PM

The Lakers are the best franchise in NBA History. They dont suck for long and they find these ways of getting from average to elite within a few years. They are great for the NBA. I know people are pissed (I am okay with it as I am a huge Bynum and Kobe fan) but if the Spurs had pulled off a robbery trade like this and then watched them decline all other offers to the other elites, I dont think they would be calling their team cheaters and be pissed off. Just a way to look at it from both perspectives.

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 10:58 PM
There were multiple factual errors in there but I bolded the most prominent one.

This guy may think the lottery was established in 1997, he may not know Celts had the worst record and still lost #1 pick to the spurs

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.
How about just no stone throwing? Throwing stones is just shitty behavior.
But one condition...
Unless your TRAPPED in a glass house, THEN you use the stone to get out. I mean what the fuck are you doing, forget the behavior rule, get your ass outta there.

T Park
Barry and Elson barely covers Thomas' contract.

Ok throw in Bonner and Mahinmi.

They need another center project.

picnroll
You do not talk sarcasm or poke fun of ur opponent every day....Think about Spur's forum reaction if Spurs made the trade and Jackson talk like this every day.

First of all this trade is not bad. I do not find any bad motive among these two teams. Memphis wants to sell the team and wants to get ride of guys that are making big salaries. Just happened that Lakers were in right place at right time. They came up with Brown's contract that is expiring this year.

Do not forget the fact that SA did similar stuff with Scola.
Lot of GMs were saying it came so fast they weren't even able to get in counter offers and that much better offers would have been made. That seem a little strange to you?

timvp
As far as I can tell, Jerry West is currently a consultant for the Grizzlies. He just happens to also be the one who hired Chris Wallace.

If this trade had been in the works for a while, it would explain why the Lakers didn't make a major move even though Kobe Bryant cried for one all summer. The only way you can confidently stand pat as they did is if you know a certain seven-foot Spaniard would eventually come walking through that door.

Hmmmmmm . . .

ShoogarBear

Pop is pissed because he knows what this deal could potentially mean for the Lakers. Another dynasty.Yeah, the Spurs tanked by intentionally injuring David Robinson's foot to get a 21.4% chance of getting Duncan.

It also helped that they had a lifelong ex-Spur player and general manager as a mole running the draft lottery, so he could wink-wink when the envelopes were being chosen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Ok throw in Bonner and Mahinmi.

They need another center project.
Still need about 8 million more :lol.
No way we can get both of those guys in ANY trade.

slayermin
02-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Jerry West.

Didn't Jerry handpick Wallace to replace him?

Also, I wish someone would look into Heisley's role in all this. The NBA wants LA to be a strong market. Does he have a relationship with ESPN or ABC?

Hmmm. I wonder sometimes.

If there was collusion, it's substantially worse than the Patriots videotaping practices and hand signals, imo. I wonder if there would be any type of stink since we don't play in a big media market.

timmy21_4rings
02-08-2008, 11:01 PM

This sounds like a sarcasm from Phonix fan,

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2008, 11:01 PM

Pop is pissed because he knows what this deal could potentially mean for the Lakers. Another dynasty.

YOU sayin the nba change its rules? hahahaha gtfo

so how come that rule you talkn about didnt apply to the grizzlies who was tanking last season, now this season tankn again b4 the gasol trade,

how about the celtics or any other team last season that was trankn for no reason?

b4 you come in here tryin to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, there are teams out there operating unethically

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:02 PM
In fact the NBA had to change the rules because of what the Spurs did that year.

So what rule was it the NBA changed?

ShoogarBear
02-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Do not forget the fact that SA did similar stuff with Scola.Now that is actually brilliant. If Chris Wallace had any brains, his response would be "Oh, yeah, well the trade review comission would also have rejected that stupid Scola trade!"

I would have LMAO and given Wallace props.

But we've already established Chris Wallace has no brains.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 11:04 PM

I'm surprised you have access to a computer.

bostonguy
02-08-2008, 11:05 PM

I agree with you on the Lakers possibly realistically bringing the dynasty back, however, no offense man, but you started a fire and then added gasoline to it with that lame bullshit accusation. Even I know the Spurs didnt do all that on purpose. Comon now. :nope

picnroll
Maybe Pop stepping forward will get a lot of other GMs to go public about finding out what the hell was going on in this deal. Hard cap will cut this shit out.

T Park
I'm surprised you have access to a computer.

The public library will let in anyone.

objective
lol @ the Spurs tanking nonsense.

Spurs were more likely to get a pick to select the next highest rated big man, Adonal Foyle, than Tim Duncan.

And I remember it well, because I was following Foyle very closely that year after Robinson broke his foot.

Findog
02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Didn't Jerry handpick Wallace to replace him?

Also, I wish someone would look into Heisley's role in all this. The NBA wants LA to be a strong market. Does he have a relationship with ESPN or ABC?

Hmmm. I wonder sometimes.

If there was collusion, it's substantially worse than the Patriots videotaping practices and hand signals, imo. I wonder if there would be any type of stink since we don't play in a big media market.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/54/biz_06rich400_Michael-E-Heisley-Sr_93KG.html

Apparently not.

slayermin
Even Charles Barkeley, who seems to be a huge Spurs fan these days, publicly called out the Spurs for what they did at the time.

As much as we all love the Chuckster, he isn't always the best source for factual information, similar to yourself.

WildcardManu
I agree with you on the Lakers possibly realistically bringing the dynasty back, however, no offense man, but you started a fire and then added gasoline to it with that lame bullshit accusation. Even I know the Spurs didnt do all that on purpose. Comon now. :nope

He started running before he tossed the match... nowhere near this forum now..

LOL @ Dazedandconfused

Mr.Bottomtooth
The public library will let in anyone.
:lol True dat.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
The bottom line is every team is going to do whatever it takes to win championships.

I have no problems with what Boston did this year, I have no problems with what the Spurs did to get Duncan. It's all a part of the game.

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
The bottom line is every team is going to do whatever it takes to win championships.

I have no problems with what Boston did this year, I have no problems with what the Spurs did to get Duncan. It's all a part of the game.

Ah you are back, so what rule was it the NBA changed?

Kori Ellis
02-08-2008, 11:08 PM

So, did the Spurs break David's foot on purpose?

Don Quixote
It's like the Lakers are the New York Yankees and the Grizzlies are the Kansas City A's.

Obscure baseball reference. I like it!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI

You found the one thing the Spurs suck at "Tanking" since two teams had worse records than them

bostonguy

So Drob broke his foot on purpose? :wtf

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Why would anyone have a problem with injuries that result in a high draft pick?
I mean it's not anything new. You get injured. Your team starts to suck. Your team gets a high draft pick. DazedAndConfused, you surely are.

Aggie Hoopsfan

So what exactly did the Spurs do? Give us a Clue. DRob's foot, in the training room, with the candlestick?

DazedAndConfused
My mistake, I thought I had read somewhere that the NBA had to change its rules because of teams intentionally tanking to get higher draft picks (I could have sworn they changed the percentages around but I might be wrong).

Still I don't think anyone should say anything. The teams that want to win the most are going to make moves like this, don't sit back and cry about it because your FO wasn't proactive during the offseason in making changes.

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
He is probably looking up info to see what year the lottery was established

bostonguy
02-08-2008, 11:11 PM
DazedandConfused, I would stop now while you can. Please for your sake stop throwing gasoline into the fucking fire.

Mr.Bottomtooth
So what exactly did the Spurs do? Give us a Clue. DRob's foot, in the training room, with the candlestick?
:lmao

whottt
Jerry West is not the GM of the Grizzlies. You want to blame someone blame Wallace and the owners of the Grizzlies. They are 100% behind this trade.

Jerry West he is the last person on the planet to do something like that to help out a former team. Don't disrespect his name like that. There is a reason why he is on the NBA logo, and it's because he represents class and dignity that all NBA players should follow. If you all remember your history he didn't exactly leave the Lakers on good terms anyways.

Fuck Jerry West and the horse he rode in on. You are so full of fucking shit...that asshole has nearly put franchises out of business with his strongarming tactics and deceptive agreements with potential draftpicks and HOF C FAs.

You want to say the man is smart fine...but don't sit there and tell me that white trash piece of shit is inline for the Popedom...

STFU and go take that shit to a Laker board where it belongs.

PS: He was about as clutch as Chris Webber....you lose 15 finals, you lose the right to call yourself clutch.

Mr Clutch?

He ought to call himself Mr. Celtic Bitch

PSS: His logo is cool...for 1963.

PSSS: Fuck the Lakers

Never has such a huge group of fucking assholes so misguidedly thought they were classy. Shaq, Kobe, West, Facebreaker...

They and LakersFan = biggest collection of assholes ever assembled...

Aggie Hoopsfan
My mistake, I thought I had read somewhere that the NBA had to change its rules because of teams intentionally tanking to get higher draft picks (I could have sworn they changed the percentages around but I might be wrong).

Still I don't think anyone should say anything. The teams that want to win the most are going to make moves like this, don't sit back and cry about it because your FO wasn't proactive during the offseason in making changes.

You're a fucking idiot. People are complaining about it because multiple teams in the league have said this whole deal went down without anyone knowing, and that they would have put together much better deals than the one LA offered if they thought Gasol was available.

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:12 PM

You don't want us assuming someone had to get on both knees for the Pau trade

Kori Ellis
02-08-2008, 11:12 PM
So...

Ignoring the Confused one, does JWest still have a consultant role with the Grizzlies? I know that he stayed as a consultant for a few months after he stepped down last year, but I don't know if that continued into this season.

whottt
02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
He was almost hired back as a consultant by the Lakers IIRC...

Lakers = Dirty

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Haha, ok I'll stop. I just don't think anyone should complain about unfair trades like this. The only thing that's unfair is that your team didn't get in on the action and now you wanna cry over spilled milk.

The Lakers have never really sucked badly enough to land a top 5 pick in the draft over the last few decades. The only way we can rebuild is through trades really. We are able to make good trades like this because our owners are willing to spend the money and we are perhaps the biggest market in the NBA. That is why this happened, nobody else wanted to pony up the money.

ShoogarBear
The "change" was actually the institution of the draft lottery, instead of drafting just based on record (with a coin flip between the two worst records determining #1), and happened as a result of the Houston Rockets tanking in 1984 to get Hakeem:

http://reclinergm.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/coin-flip-to-lottery-did-the-rockets-tank-to-get-olajuwon/

(EDIT: that's not exactly the best article, as it has some factual errors, but the gist is there.)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

If you know the history, and read a little bit of the articles when Kobe was doing his prima-donna act, you can infer a bit on Jerry West's influence in this trade.

Jerry is close with Mitch Kupchak, who succeeded Jerry over there, and with his job on the line because of Kobe. He probably left the folder for Wallace to orchestrate the trade, and gift-wrapped Gasol for his former ball-club, and (his buddy Kupchak). Kind of like, babying his incompetent successors. Either Kupchak became machievilian overnight in pulling off the steal of Gasol when he's had a pretty bad track-record so far (traded Shaq for Odom, Grant, Butler. Got rid of Butler after being baited into trading for Kwame Brown, ) , or West's fingerprints are on it, (who pulled off the Shaq trade from Orlando, and got Kobe Bryant out of Charlotte.)

That's just the theory people are sniffing around. And I'm sure others here know more than that stuff.
People are only surmising with the information at hand.

Also trade collusion is a little bit different on the scale of fairness, from the natural incentive for bottom feeder teams, due to a flawed lottery system.

All in all, the criticism must have some sort of validity to it, if Pop, a coach, publicly states he smells something fishy about it.

George Gervin's Afro

what players did they rest ?

:sleep

FvckMavs
It doesn't matter if he is consultant now.

So...

Ignoring the Confused one, does JWest still have a consultant role with the Grizzlies? I know that he stayed as a consultant for a few months after he stepped down last year, but I don't know if that continued into this season.

T Park
02-08-2008, 11:15 PM
what players did they rest ?

:sleep

Willie Burton.

Dude was huge until that, patella tendonitis hit.

slayermin
02-08-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/54/biz_06rich400_Michael-E-Heisley-Sr_93KG.html

Apparently not.

I had him confused for someone else. Cie la vie.

tmtcsc
02-08-2008, 11:17 PM

SILENCE ! Just for that, we're going to beat your ass in the playoffs again. Now got to your room. LOSER..again and again and again and again.....

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
SILENCE ! Just for that, we're going to beat your ass in the playoffs again. Now got to your room. LOSER..again and again and again and again.....

LOVE YOUR SIG

Don Quixote
02-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I remember that crappy 20-win bunch from 1996-97. That team sucked butt, but they did not tank. They honored the game and played hard all season. And you can say the gods looked on them with favor and rewarded them with Tim.

And, really, how can a fan of the Nones talk smack about how another team won titles? He's still butt-hurt over the past 3 championships for the Silver & Black, each of which featured an elimination of the team from Phoenix.

pad300
wonder if pop could get a collusion hook up with Seattle :lol

Maybe try Cleveland for Ilgauskas?
:drunk

ludda
Good for Pop

ShoogarBear
This pic made me LOL. They look like a couple of bobbleheads:

http://reclinergm.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/hakeemdraft.jpg?w=220&h=312

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
This discussion is pointless. The facts remain that the Lakers took advantage of a unique situation and ponied up the cash when nobody else wanted to. And yes other teams were involved, Chicago's owner did not want to pay the luxury tax to get Gasol because even Gasol would not have made them a championship team. The Lakers had the best expiring contract and enough draft picks to entice Memphis to swing their way. Most importantly they were willing to go over the luxury tax to get Pau.

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Fuck Jerry West and the horse he rode in on. You are so full of fucking shit...that asshole has nearly put franchises out of business with his strongarming tactics and deceptive agreements with potential draftpicks and HOF C FAs.

You want to say the man is smart fine...but don't sit there and tell me that white trash piece of shit is inline for the Popedom...

STFU and go take that shit to a Laker board where it belongs.

PS: He was about as clutch as Chris Webber....you lose 15 finals, you lose the right to call yourself clutch.

Mr Clutch?

He ought to call himself Mr. Celtic Bitch

PSS: His logo is cool...for 1963.

PSSS: Fuck the Lakers

Never has such a huge group of fucking assholes so misguidedly thought they were classy. Shaq, Kobe, West, Facebreaker...

They and LakersFan = biggest collection of assholes ever assembled...

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2008, 11:21 PM
This discussion is pointless. The facts remain that the Lakers took advantage of a unique situation and ponied up the cash when nobody else wanted to. And yes other teams were involved, Chicago's owner did not want to pay the luxury tax to get Gasol because even Gasol would not have made them a championship team. The Lakers had the best expiring contract and enough draft picks to entice Memphis to swing their way. Most importantly they were willing to go over the luxury tax to get Pau.
Okay.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm sure this trade would have happened even if Jerry West hadn't just stepped down.

T Park
02-08-2008, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=DazedAndConfused]I looked like an idiot so I gave up[QUOTE]

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:24 PM

It got pointless when you failed to produce evidence from your accusations.

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
mem is in deep shit
the only think is sten loves the lakers big market and his old boy kobe

DazedAndConfused
So where were you guys when the Warriors got Baron Davis for Speedy Claxton+garbage? Trades like this happen in the NBA. You're just pissed because the Lakers are once again back into contention after only 4 short years of rebuilding.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Pop never comments on shit like this. His mantra is shut up and play ball.

For him to speak up, this had to be dirty.

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:26 PM
you know the suns would have rather have gasol then then shaq
gasol>shaq

DazedAndConfused
Okay so where is your evidence that Jerry West had any involvement in this trade? It's just the same as me saying the Spurs tanked when they knew their season couldn't be salvaged. You can't have it both ways.

ShoogarBear
Remind me again: who was the ex-lifetime Warrior who was the GM for the Hornets?

Stupid trades happen all the time. That's not the problem. Collusion is.

T Park
02-08-2008, 11:27 PM
So where were you guys when the Warriors got Baron Davis for Speedy Claxton+garbage? Trades like this happen in the NBA. You're just pissed because the Lakers are once again back into contention after only 4 short years of rebuilding.

Totally different situation twatmouth, if you can't figure it out then put a pillow over your face.

DazedAndConfused
Pop never comments on shit like this. His mantra is shut up and play ball.

For him to speak up, this had to be dirty.

No he's pissed because he knows he won't be winning any more rings outside of potentially this season.

ducks
prove to me he did not
it is on record he talked to kobe this offseason

ducks
No he's pissed because he knows he won't be winning any more rings outside of potentially this season.
why?

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Okay so where is your evidence that Jerry West had any involvement in this trade? It's just the same as me saying the Spurs tanked when they knew their season couldn't be salvaged. You can't have it both ways.

So you do admit making assumptions about the Spurs landing The Big Fundamental.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Why would Charles throw out the statement that he did? He knew the players he was playing against weren't putting in maximum effort to win games.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 11:31 PM
:lol @ Pop.

Dude is venting about the business side of basketball.

It lost him Scola and it gave Gasol to the Lakers.

It's understandable, but don't read too much into it.

An extra :lmao at TazedAndDouched and his chemically induced analysis of basketball history. Let's just say you're wrong and you can avoid further embarrassment.

Capt Bringdown

Yes, I think any speculation at this point has to include the NBA.

How much do you think a dynasty in LA is worth to them? Millions? Billions?

ducks
charles who?

Kori Ellis
Why would Charles throw out the statement that he did? He knew the players he was playing against weren't putting in maximum effort to win games.

Because Charles was trying to be entertaining and controversial. Anyway, the players he was playing against weren't very good.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Go rewatch what Charles said in the locker room after that game he played against the Spurs. He was PISSED. That was not said for entertainment.

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:34 PM

He's an entertainer and likes the attention, didn't you see his comments about the bay area when the Warriors were playing the Mavs last season?

T Park
02-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Go rewatch what Charles said in the locker room after that game he played against the Spurs. He was PISSED. That was not said for entertainment.

Would you shut your piehole.

All your doing is googling Spurs 97 and quotes.

So STFU.

Budkin
02-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Totally different situation twatmouth, if you can't figure it out then put a pillow over your face.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm not talking about WHAT CHARLES SAID IN THE TNT STUDIOS.

I'm talking about what he said DIRECTLY after a game he PLAYED in against SAS during that season. He was absolutely 100% not saying that for entertainment, he was pissed off at the Spurs and their players because he knew they weren't giving 100% effort out there.

ducks
really
where did you go to school?

DazedAndConfused
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv24frDECA4

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:37 PM

I'm talking about what he said DIRECTLY after a game he PLAYED in against SAS during that season. He was absolutely 100% not saying that for entertainment, he was pissed off at the Spurs and their players because he knew they weren't giving 100% effort out there.
do you honestly think the knicks give 100% effort each and every game?

remingtonbo2001

Charles says a lot things.

I wouldn't use him as your source.

If Pop is this upset, something must be fishy.

This has been the year of the whistle blower

BEWARE LA...BEWARE. :)

First the Patriots, next up...LA!

T Park

Your such a stooge.

Go away.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the link.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM

You're right, a former Lakers GM handing the Lakers a great player for shit is exactly like David Robinson breaking his foot, the Spurs having the second best odds to get the #1 pick, and ending up with Duncan.

picnroll
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
A sucky team not giving 100% at the end of a losing season. Gosh imagine that.

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv24frDECA4

your welcome.

T Park
I bet dazed believes 9.11 was an inside job.

DazedAndConfused
damn you guys are seriously butt hurt about this. talk about opening up pandora's box.

slayermin
02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Barkley was coming to grips of finishing his career without a ring. He was emotionally distraught and people say anything when they are in that condition.

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 11:42 PM
I bet dazed believes 9.11 was an inside job.

He also believes Gasol is one of the best PF's in the game. :)

T Park
02-08-2008, 11:42 PM
damn you guys are seriously butt hurt about this. talk about opening up pandora's box.

No your just making up bullshit.

STFU already if you dont like it getting thrown back in your face.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 11:43 PM
damn you guys are seriously butthurt about this. talk about opening up pandora's box.Actually you're the one who is butthurt about the Spurs and Duncan because you're the one whining about it.

I agree spurfans are butthurt about the Gasol trade, though. That's business.

T Park
He also believes Gasol is one of the best PF's in the game. :)

oh yeah.......

Shocking.

I bet Jordan Farmar should win 6th man. :rolleyes

WildcardManu
ROFL, now i know where u got ur fact about the rule changes about the Spurs and the draft

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:44 PM
what would you think would happen if one of the posters here and went to a laker forum and said the lakers cheated and jerry west gave them gasol
how long do you think one of the posters here would last without getting banned and without alot of other posters saying the lakers did not cheat

DazedAndConfused
02-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Alright I'm out, this thread is going nowhere.

BTW remington Gasol w/ 30pts 9 rebounds on 12-15 shooting against D12. IN YO FACE BIATCH

T Park
Like it was brought up though.

So much for the Mike Miller pipedream :(

DazedAndConfused
what would you think would happen if one of the posters here and went to a laker forum and said the lakers cheated and jerry west gave them gasol
how long do you think one of the posters here would last without getting banned and without alot of other posters saying the lakers did not cheat

it already has happened many times. and we don't care.

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:46 PM
you barely won and it was against the magic and gasol and kobe both had over 30 points

sad for la

ChumpDumper

BTW remington Gasol w/ 30pts 9 rebounds on 12-15 shooting against D12. IN YO FACE BIATCHCheater.

T Park

BTW remington Gasol w/ 30pts 9 rebounds on 12-15 shooting against D12. IN YO FACE BIATCH

in yo face?

What are you 8?

ducks
link to that forum

WildcardManu
02-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Cheater.

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:49 PM
waiting for link to the laker forum!

MajicMan
02-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Right Pop...Fucking Bill Belichick of basketball. If that's the case Spurs should be investigated for tanking, cheating, and insider trading. First they tank for Timmy, beat up Steve Nash to get half the Suns team suspended, and they also give away Scola to the Rockets in some type of hand shake deal.

Fuck you Pop. Look in the mirror!

ChumpDumper
02-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Right Pop...Fucking Bill Belichick of basketball. If that's the case Spurs should be investigated for tanking, cheating, and insider trading. First they tank for Timmy, beat up Steve Nash to get half the Suns team suspended, and they also give away Scola to the Rockets in some type of hand shake deal.

Fuck you Pop. Look in the mirror!Cheater.

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 11:52 PM

:rolleyes

Yes, I'm certainly eating crow.

He dominates during the clutch games.

Too bad it's the regular season.

Can you please tell me what he's done during the post-season.

Not too mention he's already showing signs of a bad back.
Ask any NBA player how effective they were once their backs started failing.
He's only 27 which is really sad. (I mean that sincerley)
I'm starting to think LA got the shaft. We'll see in a few years.

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:53 PM

scola did not like the spurs
they thought he kepted him overseas to long but his contract was his problem
spurs do not have any control over the suns players
spur coaches are smart enough to tell their players to stay on the bench and get in the way so they do not get on the court

suns coaches are stupid

ducks
02-08-2008, 11:53 PM
waiting for link still :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

timvp
02-08-2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv24frDECA4Too bad I can't bump my post from 1997 but there were so many things wrong with that Barkley take it wasn't even funny.

First of all, that game he's talking about, the Rockets won by four freakin' points. Four. The Rockets had to come back and win that game. That was against a Rockets team fighting for playoff positioning.

Second of all, the Spurs beat the Rockets earlier in the year. How can a supposedly tanking team beat another team that has Barkley, Olajuwon and Drexler? And the Spurs beat them in Houston.

Third of all, the Spurs played multiple players 40+ minutes in that game. IIRC, Pop went with a 7 man rotation in trying to get a win. What tanking team goes with a 7 man rotation? And really, the Spurs massively outplayed the Rockets in that game. I remember the comments making no sense because the Spurs really should have beaten them.

It was truly Barkley just trying to be Barkley. Back then, he didn't even believe half the stuff he was saying. He said it so he could get famous and have a life on TV after basketball ... and it worked.

EDIT:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199704200SAS.html

There's the boxscore to that game. Nothing in that boxscore indicates the Spurs were tanking. If the Spurs wouldn't have gone 1-for-16 on threes or would have shot better than 69% at the line, they easily win that game. Barkley, Olajuwon and Drexler all had to play 40 minutes just to squeak out a win against a horrible Spurs team.

The Spurs weren't tanking, they just sucked. You take David Robinson off of any of the mid-90's Spurs teams and you are left with the worst team in the NBA by far. Robinson had the worst supporting casts in the history of the NBA in that era. Pop had that team playing hard ... it was a miracle they won 20 games with the scrubs on that squad.

lefty
02-08-2008, 11:57 PM

Suns : 0 title and counting....

remingtonbo2001
02-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Back then, he didn't even believe half the stuff he was saying. He said it so he could get famous and have a life on TV after basketball ... and it worked.

Sooo....Should I expect O'neal to join the TNT crew in the next 5 years?

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Sooo....Should I expect O'neal to join the TNT crew in the next 5 years?I guess I expect Pop to be there after that article.

thispego
02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
uh yeah, i think i've been saying this from the get go.

wildbill2u
02-09-2008, 12:05 AM
This isn't the first time he's gone off on the trade. I saw a tape of his tirade when they were in Washington. He's genuinely pissed.

There's no way the Grizzlies shopped Gasol for like two and a half years and this was their best offer. Either there was some collusion or Wallace needs to be locked up.
What about our trade of Scola to Houston for essentially nothing but dollars. Some people think that was the worst trade in history. How do you think the Memphis-Laker trade compares with the Scola trade now?

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2008, 12:06 AM
dazedandconfused

brings up a argument,
no facts to back it up,
then decides its pointless to continue argument,

douchebag

wheres the chloroform guy, put this douche to sleep plz

ducks
02-09-2008, 12:07 AM
What about our trade of Scola to Houston for essentially nothing but dollars. Some people think that was the worst trade in history. How do you think the Memphis-Laker trade compares with the Scola trade now?
so scola = gasol now :rolleyes

whottt
02-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Anyway...you can tank all you want, but that doesn't mean you are going to get the #1 pick so you can't call the Spurs cheaters, because whether or not they wound up with Tim Duncan was up to fate.

Whereas the lowlife collusion between the Grizz and Lakers...that's just a plain old sleezebag move....by a sleezebag organization.

WildcardManu
The Gasol trade tops it.

ducks
scola did not want to play for the spurs
spurs tried to trade him to the cavs but they did not even want him

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2008, 12:09 AM

ur comparing a allstar bondafide franchise player getting traded for peanuts to a unproven nba euro player who was traded for a greek bust who signed with a euro team b4 even signin with the spurs?

umm

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Anyway...you can tank all you want, but that doesn't mean you are going to get the #1 pick so you can't call the Spurs cheaters, because whether or not they wound up with Tim Duncan was up to fate.

Whereas the lowlife collusion between the Grizz and Lakers...that's just a plain old sleezebag move....by a sleezebag organization.
jealous?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
No different than KG to the Celtics. IIRC, four GMs said they offered better deals for KG at the time.

whottt
02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
jealous?

stupid?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Of course, there's no way of knowing if it's true or not.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:14 AM
jealous?Cheater.

whottt
02-09-2008, 12:16 AM
No different than KG to the Celtics. IIRC, four GMs said they offered better deals for KG at the time.

The Celtics are notorious tankers as well...I mean they had the worst record in the NBA the year the Spurs got Duncan...

Didn't they have the worst record in the NBA during the Oden sweepstakes as well?

The Lakers and Celts are just pissed they aren't the only two teams in the NBA anymore...

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Remington you are absolutely 100% right, the Lakers got the bad end on this deal. Gasol is a soft POS euro-trash player with a bad back that's going to give out at any second and he's going to ruin the Lakers and turn them into a lottery team. Your analysis is spot on kid.

The fact that Pop would even say something like this when just days ago he said he wasn't concerned about what other teams were doing is proof he is now worried about the Spurs ever winning another title. He knows full well what Phil Jackson can do when given the talent.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:19 AM
The Celtics are notorious tankers as well...I mean they had the worst record in the NBA the year the Spurs got Duncan...Right. IIRC the Celts odds of getting Duncan were about twice as good as that of the Spurs. That kind of tanking makes no sense for the Spurs.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Were all you guys hiding under a rock when posters like Fabbs and I were saying this deal was collusion, like, 5 days ago?? I even said the deal should be rescinded by the league because it's so lopsided and reeks of collusion. Here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86241) and here. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86161)

All sorts of posters were saying we're just conspiracy theorists *cough* exstatic *cough* and now Pop of all people speaks out and guys are tripping over themselves to say that, all of a sudden, the deal seems shady. :rolleyes

Sure, we're conspiracy theorists because somehow believing that a trade so incredibly one-sided just happened to coincide with ex-Laker West being president of basketball operations for the Grizzlies less than a year ago and he may in fact still be a consultant for them. That's the same as believing that dead aliens are stored in area 51.

Gee, you think West put the deal in place before he left and figured enough time had gone by? I mean, stuff like this could never happen when million dollar deals/franchise revenues are at stake. Cronyism has no place in basketball. :rolleyes

Where there's smoke, there's fire and there's plenty of smoke here. You know there is if Pop is talking to the press.

bostonguy
02-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Remington you are absolutely 100% right, the Lakers got the bad end on this deal. Gasol is a soft POS euro-trash player with a bad back that's going to give out at any second and he's going to ruin the Lakers and turn them into a lottery team. Your analysis is spot on kid.

The fact that Pop would even say something like this when just days ago he said he wasn't concerned about what other teams were doing is proof he is now worried about the Spurs ever winning another title. He knows full well what Phil Jackson can do when given the talent.

I'm shipping off to Boston......woahhhhhhhhhhh!

bostonguy
02-09-2008, 12:24 AM
California here we come, right back where we started from.......

Californiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa here we comeeeeeeeeeeeee california california here we come!!!!!!!

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Ok time to shut the conspiracy theorists up once and for all.

Memphis tried to move Gasol last off-season for something close to equal value. The Bulls didn't want to part with their young core and nothing ended up happening. So they thought OK we'll surround Pau with talent and go that route since nobody wants to give us equal value for him. They bring in Navarro from Spain and some other help in hopes of turning the team around. They end up winning only 13 games this season. Clearly their team has no future with Pau. Even worse they are losing millions of dollars because nobody is going to the games. The owner wants to sell the team and the best way to do that is to give the new owners the flexibility to bring in the players they want.

So, Memphis is looking to clear salary to sign a big named FA this offseason. The facts are that Kwame has the highest expiring K of any player available. Javaris Crittenton is a solid young prospect that can always be packaged in a trade if things don't work out. Marc Gasol is a legit 7 footer who is lighting up the Spanish league right now, 7 footers don't grow on trees. They also get a ton of draft picks from the Lakers. Name me one other team that had a better package considering what Memphis wanted and I'll shutup.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:28 AM
:lol @ claiming they actually cared about the players they got back.

T Park
02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
:lol @ Dazed and stupid for thinking that presenting BS will shut people up

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Were all you guys hiding under a rock when posters like Fabbs and I were saying this deal was collusion, like, 5 days ago?? I even said the deal should be rescinded by the league because it's so lopsided and reeks of collusion. Here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86241) and here. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86161)

All sorts of posters were saying we're just conspiracy theorists *cough* exstatic *cough* and now Pop of all people speaks out and guys are tripping over themselves to say that, all of a sudden, the deal seems shady. :rolleyes

Sure, we're conspiracy theorists because somehow believing that a trade so incredibly one-sided just happened to coincide with ex-Laker West being president of basketball operations for the Grizzlies less than a year ago and he may in fact still be a consultant for them. That's the same as believing that dead aliens are stored in area 51.

Gee, you think West put the deal in place before he left and figured enough time had gone by? I mean, stuff like this could never happen when million dollar deals/franchise revenues are at stake. Cronyism has no place in basketball. :rolleyes

Where there's smoke, there's fire and there's plenty of smoke here. You know there is if Pop is talking to the press.

I remember THJ. I remember brother!

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Sure, we're conspiracy theorists because somehow believing that a trade so incredibly one-sided just happened to coincide with ex-Laker West being president of basketball operations less than a year ago. That's the same as believing that dead aliens are stored in area 51.

Shit happens all the time just like when Minne was dealing under the table with Joe Smith and the Pats filming other teams except for the fact that these two teams got caught. Spurs fucken tanked and they landed the number one pick. Why aren't they investigated? Not giving your all is a major sin in sports. Robert Horry plays dirty against the Suns and the Spurs get rewarded. If Pop wants to talk about a basketball committee the committee would have fucken vetoed the Shaq for Grant, Lamar, and Butler trade and also the Butler for Kwame trade and also the Scola for peanuts trade so he should shut his ugly face. All these recent trades for the Lakers that went down have been in their favor just like his "thank god they tore down the Berlin Wall or broke up the Soviet Union" or some shit like that comment about when the Lakers traded Shaq. Hypocritical two face whiny Pop should shut his trap. Fucken Bill Belichick of basketball.

slayermin
02-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Majicman finally decided to come out of the closet. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Spurs fucken tanked and they landed the number one pick. Why aren't they investigated?Because they didn't tank.
Robert Horry plays dirty against the Suns and the Spurs get rewarded.So that is what this is all about. Still butthurt about that one, eh?

AFBlue
02-09-2008, 12:36 AM
I feel dumber for having read all eight pages of this thread....

I took one look at this article and the first and only thing that popped into my mind was how the Spurs were definitely out of the running for Mike Miller, if he were to be put on the market.

I'd be happy with Kurt Thomas for Barry/Elson.

It's no damn all-star Pau for unproven prospect and picks deal...but I'd take it.

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 12:37 AM
No, it was actually just payback for stupid asses like Obstructed View and a few other ass hats. My recent threads have been obviously trolling. You guys are just too stupid to pick up on it.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:38 AM
No, it was actually just payback for stupid asses like Obstructed View and a few other ass hats. My recent threads have been obviously trolling. You guys are just too stupid to pick up on it.So the internets is very serious business to you.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Why do you guys care so much about this?

I thought Gasol was a weak soft Euro-trash pussy, Kobe was a ball hog who couldn't lead a team, Phil Jackson was an overpaid coach who couldn't win without HOF talent, and Bynum was a weak teenager?

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Why would it be serious business for me? I was playing a Phoenix Suns fan for crying out loud. Nothing serious about being a Suns fan.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Why do you guys care so much about this?Why did you dig up a ten year old Barkley clip on YouTube?

I thought Gasol was a weak soft Euro-trash pussy, Kobe was a ball hog who couldn't lead a team, Phil Jackson was an overpaid coach who couldn't win without HOF talent, and Bynum was a weak teenager?All true.

And they're cheaters.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Why would it be serious business for me? I was playing a Phoenix Suns fan for crying out loud. Nothing serious about being a Suns fan.So trolling the internets for payback is serious business.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I remember THJ. I remember brother!
Thanks, man. Preach it.

slayermin
02-09-2008, 12:50 AM
So, Memphis is looking to clear salary to sign a big named FA this offseason. The facts are that Kwame has the highest expiring K of any player available.

Acutally, isn't that Antawn Jamison?

703 Spurz
02-09-2008, 12:51 AM
:lol @ Pop.

Dude is venting about the business side of basketball.

It lost him Scola and it gave Gasol to the Lakers.

It's understandable, but don't read too much into it.

An extra :lmao at TazedAndDouched and his chemically induced analysis of basketball history. Let's just say you're wrong and you can avoid further embarrassment.

DazedAndDouchebag

:downspin: :downspin: :downspin: :downspin: :downspin: :downspin:

703 Spurz
02-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Have you ever had intercourse with a woman pube-chin?

TwoHandJam
02-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Shit happens all the time just like when Minne was dealing under the table with Joe Smith and the Pats filming other teams except for the fact that these two teams got caught. Spurs fucken tanked and they landed the number one pick. Why aren't they investigated? Not giving your all is a major sin in sports. Robert Horry plays dirty against the Suns and the Spurs get rewarded. If Pop wants to talk about a basketball committee the committee would have fucken vetoed the Shaq for Grant, Lamar, and Butler trade and also the Butler for Kwame trade and also the Scola for peanuts trade so he should shut his ugly face. All these recent trades for the Lakers that went down have been in their favor just like his "thank god they tore down the Berlin Wall or broke up the Soviet Union" or some shit like that comment about when the Lakers traded Shaq. Hypocritical two face whiny Pop should shut his trap. Fucken Bill Belichick of basketball.

Go back and look at the players on that Spur team without Robinson and tell me if they could have won more games being in the western conference back then. Timvp already posted the box score of a controversial game where Barkley claimed they weren't trying. They didn't even have the best odds to land Duncan, Boston did.

Scola (totally unproven NBA rookie) for nothing
declining/expensive Shaq for Lamar, Butler, Grant

is nowhere near the utter lunacy of a 19 and 9 franchise player who is young and in his prime traded within the same conference for some cap space and draft picks. If I'm a memphis season ticket holder, I'm pissed as hell.

The Gasol trade is more in line with, as you mentioned, the Minny/Joe Smith fiasco and the Pats filming other teams' signals.

703 Spurz
02-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Why do you guys care so much about this?

I thought Gasol was a weak soft Euro-trash pussy, Kobe was a ball hog who couldn't lead a team, Phil Jackson was an overpaid coach who couldn't win without HOF talent, and Bynum was a weak teenager?

Aren't you the one doing all the fucking research just to make a point that no one cares about?

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 12:59 AM
nowhere near the utter lunacy of a 19 and 9 franchase player who is young and in his prime traded within the same conference for some cap space and draft picks. If I'm a memphis season ticket holder, I'm pissed as hell.Screwing over a couple thousand people is totally worth the money to be made from the sale of an NBA team.

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Go back and look at the players on that Spur team without Robinson and tell me if they could have won more games being in the western conference back then. Timvp already posted the box score of a controversial game where Barkley claimed they weren't trying. They didn't even have the best odds to land Duncan, Boston did.

Scola (totally unproven NBA rookie) for nothing
declining/expensive Shaq for Lamar, Butler, Grant

is nowhere near the utter lunacy of a 19 and 9 franchase player who is young and in his prime traded within the same conference for some cap space and draft picks. If I'm a memphis season ticket holder, I'm pissed as hell.
So Barkley says on t.v. you guys are the best team in the West and you believe it but he actually played against you guys and called you guys tankers and you don't believe it? The guy is a loudmouth fool but I don't think he's a liar. You guys tanked. It's no secret. Don't insult people's intelligence by denying it so fuck off about the Pau Gasol trade.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 01:02 AM
So Barkley says on t.v. you guys are the best team in the West and you believe it but he actually played against you guys and called you guys tankers and you don't believe it? The guy is a loudmouth fool but I don't think he's a liar. You guys tanked. It's no secret. Don't insult people's intelligence by denying it so fuck off about the Pau Gasol trade.Barkley is a cheater.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2008, 01:02 AM
So Barkley says on t.v. you guys are the best team in the West and you believe it but he actually played against you guys and called you guys tankers and you don't believe it? The guy is a loudmouth fool but I don't think he's a liar. You guys tanked. It's no secret. Don't insult people's intelligence by denying it so fuck off about the Pau Gasol trade.
Look at the boxscore of the game where he claimed that. Numbers don't lie.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Memphis wanted to clear cap space. They are selling the team and want to give the new owners flexibility to sign the players they want.

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Look at the boxscore of the game where he claimed that. Number don't lie.
It's called not making it obvious.

T Park
02-09-2008, 01:05 AM
I Give up.

slayermin
02-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Memphis is targeting a free agent this off season? Who?

Seattle has Kurt Thomas with an expiring contract and Miami has Jason Williams and Ricky Davis with expiring contracts. They could package way better picks to Memphis, from what I can tell. Help from Spurs capalogists?

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:06 AM
I misquote people because I have nothing to backup my arguments

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Memphis is targeting a free agent this off season?Not under this ownership.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Memphis wanted to clear cap space. They are selling the team and want to give the new owners flexibility to sign the players they want.
Right. Young franchise players averaging almost 20/10 are often traded within their own conference for the allure of sheer, unbridled potential. Happens all the time.

Trading for potential is how you end up like the Knicks. With all that cap space, I'm sure franchise player level FAs will be knocking the door down to play in Memphis with ... no one of consequence.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Memphis is targeting a free agent this off season? Who?

Seattle has Kurt Thomas with an expiring contract and Miami has Jason Williams and Ricky Davis with expiring contracts. They could package way better picks to Memphis, from what I can tell. Help from Spurs capalogists?

Why would Seattle want Pau Gasol? Of the teams that were interested in acquiring Gasol, the Lakers had the best deal. I know you guys desperately want to cry conspiracy but the reality is there was nothing shady about this deal. Bulls didn't want to pay the luxury tax, Lakers did. Lakers get Gasol.

T Park
02-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I keep pulling bs out of my ass and digging myself a deeper hole cause i have no life on a friday night so i decide to pollute a basketball forum

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Trading for potential is how you end up like the Knicks.Heisley wants the Grizz to end up like the Clippers of a few seasons ago.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Right. Young franchise players averaging almost 20/10 are often traded within their own conference for the allure of sheer, unbridled potential. Happens all the time.

Trading for potential is how you end up like the Knicks.

It's called a firesale, and yes it does happen. How do you think GSW got Baron Davis for scraps?

T Park
Why would Seattle want Pau Gasol? Of the teams that were interested in acquiring Gasol, the Lakers had the best deal. I know you guys desperately want to cry conspiracy but the reality is there was nothing shady about this deal. Bulls didn't want to pay the luxury tax, Lakers did. Lakers get Gasol.

Why would they want Gasol?

Gee they wouldn't want a post presence to go with Wilcox and Durant.

Nahhhhhhh

christ :lol

T Park
It's called a firesale, and yes it does happen. How do you think GSW got Baron Davis for scraps?

Cause Baron Davis asked for a trade.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:11 AM
LOL my leg is broken and I can't do anything but sit at home and watch sports. What's your excuse?

genomefreak13
02-09-2008, 01:11 AM

At least we have the balls to say what we want to say. Your team wouldn't have reached the playoffs if JERRY WEST didn't sell memphis to spoon feed your sorry asses.

ploto
02-09-2008, 01:12 AM
I like Pop but I think he is off here completely.

First off, player contracts are property, and it is a business. Deals are made all the time that are about business and have nothing to do with basketball, or skill, or value as a player. The Spurs have done this themselves, so to act as if there is something fishy about Pau to the Lakers is just plain hypocritical.

Gasol was whining and sulking- so they traded him. They did not find a deal of comparable player value, but they do not have to. All they have to do is make a deal that abides by the CBA and they did. They got for him the biggest expiring deal they could to clear as much salary as possible. That is their right to do this for business purposes. The Lakers made a reasonable offer for what the goal of the Grizzlies was- to get rid of the financial obligation. Pau is so soft and wimpy and of no value- like people claim on here- then why any claim that there is something amiss with regards to this trade.

And I don't care if West consults for Memphis or not-- you do not think that teams that have relationships are more likely to deal with each other- that GM's who know each other and are on more friendly terms are more likely to work out deals than those that can not stand each other. You think talks between GM's who played together are coincidences? You don't think it benefits bewteen guys like RC, Sam, and Kevin?

Teams are just mad because they did not get in on the action. They look and think- Wow, we could have had Pau. But Memphis is under no obligation to advertise to the entire NBA what they are doing or what their asking price is? They can take back whatever they want from whomever they want, as long as it abides by the rules. It looks kind of stupid for a team to gripe who traded the contract of a retiring Danny Ferry to get 2 players about uneven deals.

DazedAndConfused
Why would they want Gasol?

Gee they wouldn't want a post presence to go with Wilcox and Durant.

Nahhhhhhh

christ :lol

Seattle is a running team. Gasol does not fit in with what they want to do. Stop being stupid.

ChumpDumper
LOL my leg is broken and I can't do anything but sit at home and watch sports.That's what you get for cheating.

T Park
Seattle is a running team cause they have no one to put next to Durant to help them you moron.

slayermin
02-09-2008, 01:13 AM

Why wouldn't they want him? Isn't he the best power forward in the league?

T Park
02-09-2008, 01:13 AM

Well played slayer well played.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:14 AM

First off, player contracts are property, and it is a business. Deals are made all the time that are about business and have nothing to do with basketball, or skill, or value as a player. The Spurs have done this themselves, so to act as if there is something fishy about Pau to the Lakers is just plain hypocritical.

Gasol was whining and sulking- so they traded him. They did not find a deal of comparable player value, but they do not have to. All they have to do is make a deal that abides by the CBA and they did. They got for him the biggest expiring deal they could to clear as much salary as possible. That is their right to do this for business purposes. The Lakers made a reasonable offer for what the goal of the Grizzlies was- to get rid of the financial obligation. Pau is so soft and wimpy and of no value- like people claim on here- then why any claim that there is something amiss with regards to this trade.

And I don't care if West consults for Memphis or not-- you do not think that teams that have relationships are more likely to deal with each other- that GM's who know each other and are on more friendly terms are more likely to work out deals than those that can not stand each other. You think talks between GM's who played together are coincidences? You don't think it benefits bewteen guys like RC, Sam, and Kevin?

Teams are just mad because they did not get in on the action. They look and think- Wow, we could have had Pau. But Memphis is under no obligation to advertise to the entire NBA what they are doing or what their asking price is? They can take back whatever they want from whomever they want, as long as it abides by the rules. It looks kind of stupid for a team to gripe who traded the non-guaranteed contract of a retiring Danny Ferry to get 2 players about uneven deals.

Gets it. This is what I've been trying to say to these guys this whole time. The NBA is as much a business as it is anything else.

slayermin
02-09-2008, 01:15 AM
There are several teams with multiple guys with expiring contracts. This really doesn't make sense to me because almost all those teams can offer better draft picks.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 01:16 AM
ploto's explanation was a little wordy.

Michael Heisley is losing 2% of his net worth a year on a basketball team that sucks ass.

He would like that to stop.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:17 AM

Michael Heisley is losing 2% of his net worth a year on a basketball team that sucks ass.

end thread

T Park
02-09-2008, 01:17 AM

Yikes....

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 01:19 AM

Teams are just mad because they did not get in on the action. They look and think- Wow, we could have had Pau. But Memphis is under no obligation to advertise to the entire NBA what they are doing or what their asking price is? They can take back whatever they want from whomever they want, as long as it abides by the rules. It looks kind of stupid for a team to gripe who traded the contract of a retiring Danny Ferry to get 2 players about uneven deals.
Finally, a voice of reason. That was articulate and very well written. Something you have to do for these dumb Spurs fans to understand.

ploto
02-09-2008, 01:20 AM
There are several teams with multiple guys with expiring contracts. This really doesn't make sense to me because almost all those teams can offer better draft picks.
And they were willing to take back Gasol's contract? You know he is set to make almost $50M over the next 3 seasons.

DazedAndConfused
02-09-2008, 01:22 AM
And they were willing to take back Gasol's contract? You know he is set to make almost $50M over the next 3 seasons.

Exactly. It's one thing to say Team X has a better deal, but does Team X actually want Gasol? Can they afford him? When you put all those things together LA was the best suitor and they got the prize.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2008, 01:25 AM

Trading away the franchise for potential and no NBA ready player in return doesn't seem like the fastest way to kick start a new winning era.

Confused: Baron Davis isn't 7'0 tall and young and the Hornets at least got two NBA players with experience back for him. Big men will always be far more coveted than talented point guards. Trading a franchise calibur big man for draft picks and space is retarded.

It's late. I'm out.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2008, 01:26 AM
Trading away the franchise for potential and no NBA ready player in return doesn't seem like the fastest way to kick start a new winning era.Who said anything about winning?

T Park
02-09-2008, 01:26 AM
Something you have to do for these dumb Spurs fans to understand.

Whats your excuse for being at home alone on a friday night.

The zits not go down enough?