PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Dime: Duncan gets a little respect from a certain newly traded center.

DieMrBond
02-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Shaq Speak
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080209-10
Instead of the usual one-on-one in this space, here are five topics of note touched on by Shaquille O'Neal during and after his introductory news conference in Phoenix on Thursday:

On his belief that he'd retire as a member of the Heat:

"I thought I was. But I'm the son of a military drill sergeant. So believe it or not, my mind is programmed for four and relocate. My whole life, four and relocate. Do what you do in four and relocate: Rebuild."

On last season's complaint (and perceived swipe at new teammate Steve Nash) that the MVP award "has been tainted" in recent years:

"No, I never said that. Did I? If I said it, delete it from the files."

On whether he viewed the Suns as a soft team until now:

"No. Never soft. They just could never get past the Spurs. They couldn't get past Mr. Duncan."

On how badly his résumée needs the boost of a fifth championship ring to break his tie with Duncan:

"A lot. I need five and six." (After which Suns coach Mike D'Antoni immediately interjected, "Mine needs one.")

On his willingness to guarantee a championship, as Shaq did when he arrived in Miami:

"Not yet. Let me get a few practices under my belt and, yeah, I'll let you know. I'll let you know."

mystargtr34
02-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Shaq needs 6 or 7 to stay ahead of Timmy when theyre both done

whottt
02-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Tells you exactly what's on Shaq's mind and who he plans on competing with...

Anyone that thinks Shaq won't be coming with everything he's got left at the Spurs, should we face the Suns in the playoffs, is deluding themselves...if he can get his butt on the court he's going to be giving it everything thing he has.

And I don't care how old he is...he's still freaking Shaq, he's still this huge freaking dude...put yourself in the shoes of anyone else...would you want to go out there and bang against a motivated Shaq? For a 7 game series? Even if the answer is yes...they will be scraping you off the court by the fifth game.

Duncan sounds pretty fired up about it too....they definitely have a thing going to see which of them is going to wind up with the most titles.

z0sa
02-09-2008, 07:53 AM
On his willingness to guarantee a championship, as Shaq did when he arrived in Miami:

"Not yet. Let me get a few practices under my belt and, yeah, I'll let you know. I'll let you know."

does anyone else see something a wee bit funny about this quote from SHAQ?

What happened to the promise of "I guarantee 2 championships in the next 4 years" Miami Heat fans?

I don't see why people are tripping on shaq joining phoenix's lineup. He even knows he's washed up; he won't guarantee himself doing anything because he's covering his own ass when Phoenix chokes in the playoffs :lol

z0sa
02-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Tells you exactly what's on Shaq's mind and who he plans on competing with...

Anyone that thinks Shaq won't be coming with everything he's got left at the Spurs, should we face the Suns in the playoffs, is deluding themselves...if he can get his butt on the court he's going to be giving it everything thing he has.

And I don't care how old he is...he's still freaking Shaq, he's still this huge freaking dude...but yourself in the shoes of anyone else...would you want to go out there and bang against Shaq? For a 7 game series?

Funny thing is...Duncan sounds pretty fired up about it too....they definitely have a thing going to see which of them is going to wind up with the most titles.

I think he will come at us with everything he's got. How much is that exactly though?

Of course, we are trying to guard him with Oberto, but I still don't see him having a huge impact on any series.

whottt
02-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I think he will come at us with everything he's got. How much is that exactly though?

I don't know but it's not like the Suns are a total free pass even without him...we had their number, but they made it close....and they didn't make it close because of Marion, they made it close because of Nash and Amare....and the reason they couldn't do more than make it close is because they didn't have someone like Shaq to throw out there in a slow down game.

I don't think Shaq thinks he's washed up. He's probably being realistic...but if you think he doesn't think he's a got a damn good shot at his last championship you are being naive...Shaq doesn't think like you think he does....and you know what? He's right...he does have a damn good shot at his last championship.

I just don't see the logic in pretending the Suns aren't a threat(outside of putting Sunsfans in their place). If the Spurs take that attitude...they'll get beaten.

ShoogarBear
02-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Shaq

titles = four
been swept = six

z0sa
02-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't know but it's not like the Suns are a total free pass even without him...we had their number, but they made it close....and they didn't make it close because of Marion, they made it close because of Nash and Amare....and the reason they couldn't do more than make it close is because they didn't have someone like Shaq to throw out there in a slow down game.

I don't think Shaq thinks he's washed up. He's probably being realistic...but if you think he doesn't think he's a got a damn good shot at his last championship you are being naive...Shaq doesn't think like you think he does....and you know what? He's right...he does have a damn good shot at his last championship.

I just don't see the logic in pretending the Suns aren't a threat(outside of putting Sunsfans in their place). If the Spurs take that attitude...they'll get beaten.

While all these are valid points, I think you're underestimating Marion's worth, especially in our last bout. He guards Parker better than anyone on the Suns team - it didn't matter a WHOLE lot who was on parker, but it DID matter. Now who's going to stop Parker? Nash? Lmao. That means either Shaq or Amare will have to rotate. Historically, I don't think I even need to explain Amare's defensive weaknesses, especially on rotations and fouling. And shaq is too injury prone to not take it easy on defense - especially on a defenseless squad like the suns.

Second, the Suns, like the rest of the top 10 or so in teams in the west, are definitely a threat, and to be reckoned with. But during the Nash era, we've owned the suns twice out of three times.

Shaq is not the answer. A new coach and a different philosophy are what that team needs.

whottt
02-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Second, the Suns, like the rest of the top 10 or so in teams in the west, are definitely a threat, and to be reckoned with. But during the Nash era, we've owned the suns twice out of three times.

We haven't owned Shaq's Teams...

It's not like he's putting up the worst numbers of any C in history...

In fact, we'd take those numbers from our C any day of the week.

JPB
02-09-2008, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=whottt]Tells you exactly what's on Shaq's mind and who he plans on competing with...

And I don't care how old he is...he's still freaking Shaq, he's still this huge freaking dude...put yourself in the shoes of anyone else...would you want to go out there and bang against a motivated Shaq? For a 7 game series? Even if the answer is yes...they will be scraping you off the court by the fifth game.
QUOTE]

No, he's not anymore.

Miami wouldn't be dropping and he wouldn't have been trade if he still were.

I'm not saying he's done but motivation can't force your knees to support 300 pds at 35, and jump and run like when you were 25.

Shaq has never been a "big fundamental" type of player. His main force has always been his body and his explosiveness. As long as those ones are not as strong and solid as they were, no he's not "freaking Shaq" anymore, the guy who used to score half of his points by dunking the ball.

A few inches less high here, a few tens of second lost there and it makes a difference between grabbing a rebound or not and stopping your guy or not.

And he can't rely on his technical skills or BBIQ to compensate, ala Duncan.

I'm curious to see what he can bring to the Suns but it won't be what he brought throughout his career.

duncan228
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Shaq on how badly his resume needs a boost of a fifth ring to break his tie with Duncan:

A lot. I need five and six.

Duncan said he's not competeing or in some kind of race with Shaq: (And he laughed when he was asked.)

I want the fifth. I don't care about him. I don't care who has what. It's all about winning. Everybody always asks, 'You've got four rings, what's your motivation to do it again?' It's because you want to do it again. You've been there and you've enjoyed being on top of the league. There is no place like it

From the same Duncan article: (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86601)

"O'Neal has long desired to be recognized as the greatest big man of his era, but after Duncan matched him with his fourth championship last summer, that will be up for debate."

I've got no quotes from Duncan saying he wants to be remembered as the greatest anything. I've only got that he wants to be remembered as someone who played hard, won a lot of games, and gave it all he had.

I'm sure that Duncan has an ego. But we don't see it on display like we do Shaq. Duncan has always been team first. Shaq has always been Shaq first, no matter what comes out of his mouth.

Shaq's quote makes me think of Jordan, which is why I believe he said five and six and not just five.

Duncan is only focused on the next one, whatever number he's going for now.

I'll take Duncan.

exstatic
02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Shaq is NOT still Shaq. Yes, he's huge, but so is Rasho. :lol. Shaq used to be able to get the ball on the low block, just outside the paint, bump you once, and dunk on one jump. I saw him try the same move this year, and he missed the LONG layup. It was long, because his legs are gone. He still LOOKS like Shaq, but he's realistically about 60-65% of 2000-2001 Shaq, his best year in my mind. I'm not sure he demands a double team any more. He's a worse rebounder than Marion. Hell, per minute, he's probably a worse rebounder than KT, and KT had that serviceable jumper to allow Amare to operate in the paint.

wildbill2u
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM
After they both retire, there will be a continuing argument about whether Duncan or Shaq was the best big man of his era.

Shaq peaked high and early. Duncan has been consistently excellent.

Both men know this and are competitive. I think it will liven up their head to head matchups, especially if they get face off in the playoffs.

BonnerDynasty
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
THIS is the year Duncan shows everyone he owns this era..

If Spurs could just repeat it would be epic.

T Park
02-09-2008, 11:16 AM
If the Spurs repeat the dynasty is solidified and Duncan is solidified as the best bigman ever.

Period.

duncan228
02-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I know the number of Championships they both end up with will sort out their places in the record books.

But at this moment Duncan has done more in less time in the league. He's four years younger than Shaq, I believe Duncan still has a lot left in him, physically, mentally and years he'll play.

I don't think Shaq does. If he can rise for the rest of this season, I think that will be his last burst of possibility. He may play a couple of more years but his impact will continue to decline.

Not Duncan. His impact will continue to dominate at least a few more years.
I like his chances to leave Shaq in the dust.
For outside appearances Duncan is not saying his place in the books matters to him. Only winning does.

But as a fan, I'd be thrilled to see Duncan's name forever above Shaq's in every catagory possible.

duncan228
02-09-2008, 11:25 AM
By the way, thanks DieMrBond for posting the article.

exstatic
02-09-2008, 11:32 AM
After they both retire, there will be a continuing argument about whether Duncan or Shaq was the best big man of his era.

Shaq peaked high and early. Duncan has been consistently excellent.

Both men know this and are competitive. I think it will liven up their head to head matchups, especially if they get face off in the playoffs.

Good assessment. Shaq was more physically dominant in the post. Tim is a better shooter, ball handler, and passer. On defense, the shotblocking is even over their careers, but I don't think anyone thinks that tells the tale. Tim has been All Defense First team (7) or Second team (2) every year. Shaq had his moments in the early part of this decade when he actually listened to Phil and busted ass on defense, but he hasn't been a factor on D in probably 5 years, and is a virtual turnstile now.

ploto
02-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Shaq has always called Tim, Mr, Duncan. Nothing new here.

Remember the days of the Spurs-Lakers rivalry. Nothing for the Spurs has come close since then, not even Spurs vs Mavericks. All this excitement is good for the NBA with SA, Phoenix, and LA. You gotta' think Dallas is set to do something too to get in on the action.

Good times for basketball fans.

yourcheatinheart
02-09-2008, 02:53 PM
If the Spurs repeat the dynasty is solidified and Duncan is solidified as the best bigman ever.

Period.

there's a guy in boston with 11 rings that might have an issue with that. same with the other big man who scored 100 points in one game. or the other big man who just happend to score more points than anyone, ever big or small.

duncan228
02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Shaq has always called Tim, Mr, Duncan. Nothing new here.

Shaq is also the one that gave Duncan the "Big Fundamental" nickname.
I've seen a couple of interviews with Duncan over the years where he's been asked about it and I get the impression that Duncan doesn't particularly like it.

It fits him, but I think he could have lived without it.

WildcardManu
02-09-2008, 04:08 PM
there's a guy in boston with 11 rings that might have an issue with that. same with the other big man who scored 100 points in one game. or the other big man who just happend to score more points than anyone, ever big or small.

We're sure you love the Celts and the Lakers more than your Suns, I mean I would look outside my own hometown team if i was disappointed year after year.

theroc5
02-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Period.
dude this is like the climax season of the last 10 years..

agreed

MajicMan
02-09-2008, 04:24 PM
It's a tie in terms of number of rings but Shaq owns Tim head to head. Remember Shaq 3-peated and Tim has yet to repeat. Shaq=6 Finals appearances to Tim's 4.

greens
02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Shaq on how badly his resume needs a boost of a fifth ring to break his tie with Duncan:

Duncan said he's not competeing or in some kind of race with Shaq: (And he laughed when he was asked.)

From the same Duncan article: (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86601)

"O'Neal has long desired to be recognized as the greatest big man of his era, but after Duncan matched him with his fourth championship last summer, that will be up for debate."

I've got no quotes from Duncan saying he wants to be remembered as the greatest anything. I've only got that he wants to be remembered as someone who played hard, won a lot of games, and gave it all he had.

I'm sure that Duncan has an ego. But we don't see it on display like we do Shaq. Duncan has always been team first. Shaq has always been Shaq first, no matter what comes out of his mouth.

Shaq's quote makes me think of Jordan, which is why I believe he said five and six and not just five.

Duncan is only focused on the next one, whatever number he's going for now.

I'll take Duncan.

I honestly don't think Tim has any kind of an ego...He is basically one of the most unselfish superstar players. When Manu and Tony became the other two leaders of the team, he welcomed them both with open arms...and he says it takes pressure off of him to have two other leader teammates playing with him...I also think Manu/Tony are both unselfish in all aspects as well...

Shaq can be funny at times...However, I dislike him because of his enormous ego...because he always thinks and says that he's larger than life, that he's like a God's gift...etc. That's so weird to talk of oneself as being above everything else...I don't know...

And exactly, instead of saying that he's just going for the 5th, Shaq had to say for the 5th and the 6th...that's where the big ego keeps coming in and coming in...It gets really annoying...

And yes, Tim is a TEAM player, I think Shaq is more of an individual player who only cares about getting HIS 5th and 6th or whatever...

spursfan09
02-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I have a feeling Timmy won't be denied this year....

td4mvp21
02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I think we can beat them, if we are playing up to our potential. Of course, they can beat us too. However, one player doesn't erase the fact that the Spurs are in the Suns' heads. They got Shaq because of us, what does that tell you.

exstatic
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
It's a tie in terms of number of rings but Shaq owns Tim head to head. Remember Shaq 3-peated and Tim has yet to repeat. Shaq=6 Finals appearances to Tim's 4.
Tim never lost in the Finals. 4-0 > 4-2. Tim also never played with another First team All NBA player. In fact, he won two titles (2005, 2007) without another player on any of the first THREE All NBA teams.

td4mvp21
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Tim never lost in the Finals. 4-0 > 4-2. Tim also never played with another First team All NBA player. In fact, he won two titles (2005, 2007) without another player on any of the first THREE All NBA teams.

What about 2003? Tim was the only All-Star on that team and the only All-NBA player, no?

exstatic
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
What about 2003? Tim was the only All-Star on that team and the only All-NBA player, no?

You're right. David hadn't made one of the All NBA teams since 2001. Tim won titles three times with no one on one of the three All NBA teams. Don't think Shaq ever has.

Cry Havoc
02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure Duncan deserves to be the best big ever. He needs maybe 6 or 7 titles to give a good credibility to that stature, which he could get at some point. Duncan and Shaq are both easily deserving of a top 10 big ever, and both deserve to definitely be considered top 5.

But Shaq's career as dominant, or even the best player on his team, is over. Duncan is still going strong and is probably still the best big man in the game (during the playoffs anyway).

CarefreeAZ
02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
We're sure you love the Celts and the Lakers more than your Suns, I mean I would look outside my own hometown team if i was disappointed year after year.

Sounds like you shouldn't be calling yourself a true Spurs fan if you would do this. Looks to me like your a bandwagon fan.

urunobili
02-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Duncan sounds pretty fired up about it too....they definitely have a thing going to see which of them is going to wind up with the most titles.
:clap

m33p0
02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
all shaq wants is to get to the playoffs and he'll lay everything he's got left on whomever including the spurs. duncan, on the other hand, is all about the playoffs. should be great to see them going at it. when push comes to shove, these two are the ones doing the shoving.