PDA

View Full Version : Pro basketball: Balkman's error frees Finley for big shot

Spurs Brazil
02-09-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020908_SpursNotes.en.a3d3fe36.html

Pro basketball: Balkman's error frees Finley for big shot

Web Posted: 02/09/2008 12:34 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

NEW YORK — With 8.6 seconds remaining and the Spurs down by three points Friday, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called for a play the Spurs have run countless times.

It called for Manu Ginobili to drive and kick to an open shooter for a 3-pointer.

For it to work, all the Spurs needed was a foil. Tim Duncan said the play was predicated on having a Knicks defender “help us out and leave one of our shooters.”

Renaldo Balkman obliged.

Distracted by Ginobili's drive, Balkman wandered too far away from Michael Finley in the corner, a critical mistake. Duncan sealed him with a pick, which freed Finley to hit the shot that sent the game to overtime, where the Spurs won 99-93.

“Yes, he was,” Knicks coach Isiah Thomas answered when asked if Balkman was supposed to stay on Finley. “He is young, and you have to sometimes learn difficult lessons in this league.”

No doubting Thomas: Thomas had at least one fan in Madison Square Garden on Friday night.

New Spurs guard Damon Stoudamire, who was the first draft pick Thomas made as general manager in Toronto in 1995, had a message for grumbling Knicks fans. Be quiet and let Thomas coach.

“I say they might as well see him get (the team) back to where it's supposed to be,” Stoudamire said before Friday's game. “Because anybody else would have got the hell on out of there. He's still on the sideline coaching, and he's getting beat up and taking hits.

“A lot of people wouldn't do that. To me, even if I didn't know him, for him to go out and still try to coach these guys through turmoil and adversity, that shows me a lot.”

Road warriors: With Friday's victory, the Spurs improved their road record to 12-11 this season. It marks the first time they've been over .500 on the road since November.

All those opposed: Popovich is apparently not a fan of the trade last week that sent Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers.

In return for Gasol, a former All-Star, the Grizzlies received guard Javaris Crittenton and former first-round choice Kwame Brown, generally regarded as a draft bust, as well as two future first-round selections.

“The L.A. move is great for L.A.,” Popovich said. “What they were thinking in Memphis is beyond comprehension.”

Speculation abounds that Memphis owner Michael Heisley pushed the move to cut salary in anticipation of selling the team.

“There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense,” Popovich said, tongue planted firmly in cheek.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]