I just heard we are going after Kurt Thomas!!! on ESPN

SpursFanFirst
02-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I just heard we are going after Kurt Thomas!!! on ESPN

Is this another joke?

Where's the link?

Findog
02-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Will Pop complain about that one to the trade committee?

remingtonbo2001
02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
:madrun LINK!

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Link Or Ban

td4mvp3
02-09-2008, 08:04 PM
here's hoping. i was impressed with the guy last year.

Fattmac78
02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Thats something I just hear from my homeboy! And Im trying to get it out him now! Sorry I'll wait till it a done deal from now on. :bang

remingtonbo2001
02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
At 6:53 ESPN's programing was college basketball.

I'm not finding much credibility in this statement. I hope Fattmac proves me wrong.

remingtonbo2001
02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Thats something I just hear from my homeboy! And Im trying to get it out him now! Sorry I'll wait till it a done deal from now on. :bang

It's alright to be anxious, but make sure you have the facts to back it up. :)

We grow weary of the trolls which be lurking about (argg!)

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-09-2008, 08:12 PM

so then it's BS is what you're trying to say

picnroll
02-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Would make sense. It would take Elson, Barry and probably a sweetener like a 2nd round pick. He would shore up the Spurs weak big man play beside Duncan in a now big West. Good defender, rebounder, good mid-range shot.

Fattmac78
I think he was pulling my leg cuz he know I want us to get a better center! I really do apz! But he says he was dead serious about it , so we'll see how it fans out! SORRY :fro

Mr.Bottomtooth
We need tomcat up in this bitch to verify.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-09-2008, 08:16 PM
it's fake, nothing to see here folks

Ice009
02-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Come on what's the deal here?

Is there any truth to this? Is this more like an analyst offering his opinion saying the Spurs should go after KT or an analyst saying the Spurs ARE going after Kurt Thomas. BIG DIFFERENCE there. Get onto your friend. I WANT KT.

td4mvp21
02-09-2008, 08:17 PM
:flipoff

Ice009
02-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I think he was pulling my leg cuz he know I want us to get a better center! I really do apz! But he says he was dead serious about it , so we'll see how it fans out! SORRY :fro

He's either lying or he isn't which is it?

AFBlue
02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Thomas makes sense from many perspectives....

1. Salary matches up to Barry + Elson

2. Matches up well with Utah, Laker, now Suns "big-ball"

3. Has expiring deal.

Just a few....I'm sure there are more.

I'd LOVE to see this deal made.

BrianBird
02-09-2008, 08:23 PM
can we delete this shit?

picnroll
Come on Presti. Pull a McHale/West move and help out the home boys. :smokin

Spurs Dynasty 21
Thomas makes sense from many perspectives....

1. Salary matches up to Barry + Elson

2. Matches up well with Utah, Laker, now Suns "big-ball"

3. Has expiring deal.

Just a few....I'm sure there are more.

I'd LOVE to see this deal made.

look at the things you mentioned, then realize you talking about the Spurs here, so it's not going to happen

"too good to be true" trades just don't happen with the Spurs

it's painful

remingtonbo2001
02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
can we delete this shit?

:depressed it's depressing me

Ice009
02-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Man edit your first post. You didn't hear shit. All you got is second hand information from someone that more than likely is pulling your leg. Come on now, don't post stuff like this again. You got me all excited ;).

Edit : Now that this thread is open I might aswell ask this - TimVP do you think this would still be a bad move? I read that bit when Ruff quoted you in another post saying you think KT would slow us down too much. With all the other trades that have occurred to make teams move to tall ball again do you still stand by your comments?

urunobili
02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Ban This Thread!

td4mvp21
02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
But really, this would be great for the Spurs.

Ice009
02-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Well almost everyone around here rallied to get Darius Washington on the team. Why can't we do the same to get Kurt Thomas?

Joe Schmoogins
02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Kurt Thomas isn't that good. His defense is overrated.

nothing to be excited about here.

i'd rather keep Barry

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-09-2008, 08:47 PM

i'd rather keep Barry

good point, Barry would do wonders against Shaq and Gasol

Ice009
02-09-2008, 08:47 PM

i'd rather keep Barry

Says the man with Brent Barry in his avatar ;).

Question - IF Pop did want to make a trade do you think he'd prefer a scorer/shooter like Mike Miller or do you think he'd rather a big like KT, Wilcox, Haslem?

Brutalis
02-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Omg Kurt Thomas Mah Fav Playerrrrr

picnroll
02-09-2008, 08:50 PM

i'd rather keep Barry
No problem. Presti waives Barry and Spurs resign him at vet minimum.

Ice009
02-09-2008, 08:54 PM

Is that allowed? I thought they couldn't resign with their original team? Or is there a waiting period before it can happen?

Does Kurt Thomas have an expiring contract or does he have 1 more year left on it as a player option?

Slinkyman
02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
if we trade with seattle presti is gonna want Ian.

JMarkJohns
02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Kurt is in his final season of his contract.

He'd be great for the Spurs. He fouls Amare a lot, but he frustrates him as well. With Duncan behind he can focus more on positioning.

urunobili
02-09-2008, 09:04 PM

i'd rather keep Barry
i think this post makes sense... after all Thomas has shown to be a great Duncan defender but i dunno about Gasol or Amare though :wakeup

Ice009
02-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Kurt is in his final season of his contract.

He'd be great for the Spurs. He fouls Amare a lot, but he frustrates him as well. With Duncan behind he can focus more on positioning.

He doesn't have a player or team option?

If that is the case then there really is no reason for Presti to make that trade unless he wants to hear the word "COLLUSION" for the rest of the season. Spurs would have to include someone like Ian possibly so the trade does not look so one sided.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2008, 09:12 PM
People keep posting (and websites keep printing) that he's in the last year of his contract. But according to the time that he signed his extension - he's not. However, maybe next year was an option year that he declined or something.

timmy21_4rings
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM

It is not allowed by rules..

JMarkJohns
02-09-2008, 09:14 PM
People keep posting (and websites keep printing) that he's in the last year of his contract. But according to the time that he signed his extension - he's not. However, maybe next year was an option year that he declined or something.

I have no idea, but I get mine from websites. Pretty reliable ones.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I have no idea, but I get mine from websites. Pretty reliable ones.

I know. I have seen it on ESPN.com, etc too. But here's the note from the NBA when he signed his extension:

"The Knicks signed Kurt Thomas to a 4 year, $30.9 million contract extension. He is now signed through the 2008-09 season." :wtf

... but then here's the note from the league last summer:

"Kurt Thomas of the Phoenix Suns picked up the 2007-2008 player option on his contract." :wtf

Joe Schmoogins
02-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Question - IF Pop did want to make a trade do you think he'd prefer a scorer/shooter like Mike Miller or do you think he'd rather a big like KT, Wilcox, Haslem?

true. I do likes me some Barry!

Let me put it this way. I understand the need to get bigger and I wouldn't mind an upgrade to Elson. I'm just not convinced Kurt Thomas is the answer. Seems a bit expensive, for someone I've always seen as overrated. What is the answer? I don't really know. I'd prefer we stick to our guns, keep our roster fairly intact, and rely on our chemistry and vet savvy. If we go into the playoffs with a healthy roster I believe we are better off than having an extra big dude who doesn't really know the system. Barry can absolutely light it up at times, and I fear that would be sorely missed. The only problem is that we may not have a healthy roster. Barry may not recover in time to be effective. If we do trade Barry and others, I'm ok with it, but I'd rather not do it for Kurt Thomas. I'd prefer someone like Haslem, or Tyrus Thomas, or even Wilcox but they are definitely a long shot.

If Pop does make a trade, I'm not sure what type of player he would prefer. I imagine he'd probably prefer Miller with Haslem as a close second. But I think Haslem should be the first priority... He is a bit undersized, but he's been playing with Shaq the past few years and I'm sure he has had quite a bit of practice and insider info at guarding the big boy. Not to mention he could match up well with Dirk or Amare.

Now that would be a pretty slick move. And I would approve of KT under those circumstances.

WildcardManu
02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Is that allowed? I thought they couldn't resign with their original team? Or is there a waiting period before it can happen?

Does Kurt Thomas have an expiring contract or does he have 1 more year left on it as a player option?

When boston traded payton to the hawks for walker, atlanta waived payton and he went back to Boston...

Joe Schmoogins
02-09-2008, 09:30 PM
i think this post makes sense... after all Thomas has shown to be a great Duncan defender but i dunno about Gasol or Amare though :wakeup

A great Duncan defender? Duncan ate him alive in the PO's last year.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2008, 09:31 PM
When boston traded payton to the hawks for walker, atlanta waived payton and he went back to Boston...

I believe after that, they made a rule to close that loophole. So now there's a waiting period. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I remember reading it.

WildcardManu
02-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I believe after that, they made a rule to close that loophole. So now there's a waiting period. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I remember reading it.

yeah i remember, seemed a pretty shady deal

Ice009
02-09-2008, 09:35 PM

I wonder how long the waiting period is? Maybe we could still resign him in time to be on the Playoff roster.

ploto
02-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I know. I have seen it on ESPN.com, etc too. But here's the note from the NBA when he signed his extension:

"The Knicks signed Kurt Thomas to a 4 year, $30.9 million contract extension. He is now signed through the 2008-09 season." :wtf

... but then here's the note from the league last summer:

"Kurt Thomas of the Phoenix Suns picked up the 2007-2008 player option on his contract." :wtf
He could have two player options. When Tim signed his contract in 2003, he had it set up with a player option two years before it expired AND the year before.

I wondered about this, too. I have read on several sights people clamoring for Thomas and saying their team should trade for him and his expiring deal, but I thought he had another year, too.

ploto
02-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I wonder how long the waiting period is? Maybe we could still resign him in time to be on the Playoff roster.
I am thinking 90 days but I am not sure why.

T Park
02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
So is this bs or what?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-09-2008, 10:41 PM
So is this bs or what?

I just heard on the radio that yes, it is in fact BS

T Park
02-09-2008, 10:42 PM

Udonis Haslem.

hands.

Down.

T Park
02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I just heard on the radio that yes, it is in fact BS

?? So this person didn't make it up, or wtf, :lol I came late to the party....

Amuseddaysleeper
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
:lol

nah, I think it's all BS

Though I wish it were true :depressed

T Park
02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
So do I.

If they got Kurt Thomas.

Shit, I'd be ready to order the back to back champions gear.

jag
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
So do I.

If they got Kurt Thomas.

Shit, I'd be ready to order the back to back champions gear.

Wow you're a ginormous vagina.

I can see how Kurt Thomas automatically = Spurs Championship. :rolleyes

Everyone wants to assume that just because the Spurs make a trade they are back to being favorites...

trade for miller, we'll win a championship
trade for Haslem, we'll win a championship
trade for Artest, we'll win a championship
trade for kurt Thomas, we'll win a championship
trade for PJ Brown, we'll win a championship
Lets talk Dan Majerle and Vinny del negro out of retirement, we'll win a championship.....stfu

None of these guys are stars, not to mention there's no telling if they'll come in immediately and fit with the Spurs system...a deal would be nice, but lets not cum our pants at the very idea of "Kurt Thomas" of all people being a spur.

JMarkJohns
02-10-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm fairly certain that with both health and the acquisition of any of Haslem, Miller, Thomas and Artest I'd be willing to concede that San Antonio wins back-to-back Titles. Haslem is a fantastic PF who can hit the open jumper, grab double-digit boards and generally do the dirty work on defense freeing up Duncan for weak-side blocks. Thomsa would be similar. Miller would give you an all-around talent in his prime that you could insert in the starting lineup and rest assured he'd net you 12-to-18 ppg, 5-7 rpg, 3-4 apg with 2-3 made threes per. Artest is Artest and you better hope he never sees that you won't label him a star. He'll fuck you up!

T Park
02-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Kurt Thomas is perfect running along side Duncan Jag, what game do you watch?

Ice009
02-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Wow you're a ginormous vagina.

I can see how Kurt Thomas automatically = Spurs Championship. :rolleyes

Everyone wants to assume that just because the Spurs make a trade they are back to being favorites...

trade for miller, we'll win a championship
trade for Haslem, we'll win a championship
trade for Artest, we'll win a championship
trade for kurt Thomas, we'll win a championship
trade for PJ Brown, we'll win a championship
Lets talk Dan Majerle and Vinny del negro out of retirement, we'll win a championship.....stfu

None of these guys are stars, not to mention there's no telling if they'll come in immediately and fit with the Spurs system...a deal would be nice, but lets not cum our pants at the very idea of "Kurt Thomas" of all people being a spur.

Wow you're one pissed off dude.

I don't recall seeing anyone in this thread except T-Park saying anything about a definite championship with this trade. I think most people would think that it could increase our chances at winning the Championship. I don't think any Championship would be guaranteed with any trade. You still have to play the games.

jag
02-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Wow you're one pissed off dude.

I don't recall seeing anyone in this thread except T-Park saying anything about a definite championship with this trade. I think most people would think that it could increase our chances at winning the Championship. I don't think any Championship would be guaranteed with any trade. You still have to play the games.

This is what many seem to forget...people seem to think that ANY trade will do just fine...this isnt the case. Since when did Udonis Haslem cancel out Pau Gasol?

And Tpark's Flip-flopping makes Mit Romney look good...either way, it seems that spurs fans are so quick to hop on and off the bandwagon...it gets old.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-10-2008, 12:29 AM
the Spurs are fine without needing a "major" player to shake things up.

When fully healthy, I really think the big 3 can beat anyone in a 7 game series.

Udoka should be a pleasant surprise through the playoffs, and if we were hypothetically get Kurt Thomas, that would just be icing on the cake to a playoff run.

T Park
02-10-2008, 12:31 AM
This is what many seem to forget...people seem to think that ANY trade will do just fine...this isnt the case. Since when did Udonis Haslem cancel out Pau Gasol?

And Tpark's Flip-flopping makes Mit Romney look good...either way, it seems that spurs fans are so quick to hop on and off the bandwagon...it gets old.

Prob since the day he shut down Dirk Nowitzki...

Buddy Holly
02-10-2008, 12:32 AM
What kind of bullshit was this all about? What kind of asshole just posts a straight up lie about a signing?

T Park
02-10-2008, 12:34 AM
:lol

Alot of people won't get that joke Buddy, but good shot! :)

jag
02-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Prob since the day he shut down Dirk Nowitzki...

cause Dirk is so clutch and all...and since when was 20 and 10 considered "shut down"?

T Park
02-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Since when no one on the Spurs can hold him to that.

And get 12 and 10.

And also guard Carlos Boozer on his own, and Shaq, and Gasol.

Haslem on the Spurs would be perfect.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Dirk only made 20 of 55 shots in the last 3 games of the NBA Finals against the Heat. That's why people refer to him getting shut down by Haslem.

jag
02-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Since when no one on the Spurs can hold him to that.

And get 12 and 10.

And also guard Carlos Boozer on his own, and Shaq, and Gasol.

Haslem on the Spurs would be perfect.

http://www.nba.com/finals2006/

Stats > than Tpark's worthless claims.

he actually averaged over 20 ppg. Math ftw.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 01:04 AM
http://www.nba.com/finals2006/

Stats > than Tpark's worthless claims.

he actually averaged over 20 ppg. Math ftw.

Read my last post. Maybe you'll get it. Haslem guarded Dirk very well when the Heat put him on Dirk. Dirk sucked the rest of the way.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Dirk: Games 4-6.

2-14
8-19
10-22

jag
02-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Read my last post. Maybe you'll get it. Haslem guarded Dirk very well when the Heat put him on Dirk. Dirk sucked the rest of the way.

Dirk's game from the outside doesn't equate to Gasol's game on the inside...or even a broke down shaq's in my opinion.

BTW: by this i mean with Haslem guarding...

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 01:11 AM
cause Dirk is so clutch and all...and since when was 20 and 10 considered "shut down"?

Dirk's game from the outside doesn't equate to Gasol's game on the inside...or even a broke down shaq's in my opinion.

I didn't say it did. I'm just saying you can stop being an ass with your "20 and 10" talk and actually look at the boxscore.

jag
02-10-2008, 01:15 AM
I didn't say it did. I'm just saying you can stop being an ass with your "20 and 10" talk and actually look at the boxscore.

The point isnt the 06 finals, or even Haslem specifically...the point is that "ANY trade possible" doesnt make the spurs automatic for NBA champs.

And if you wanna get technical he averaged over 22 ppg during the finals...i got that from the box scores.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 01:17 AM
The point isnt the 06 finals, or even Haslem specifically...the point is that "ANY trade possible" doesnt make the spurs automatic for NBA champs.

No trade makes anyone automatic for NBA Champs. But Haslem or KThomas would help the Spurs on D. The Spurs have Elson. :cry

jag
02-10-2008, 01:19 AM
No trade makes anyone automatic for NBA Champs. But Haslem or KThomas would help the Spurs on D. The Spurs have Elson. :cry

Personally i'd rather have KT than Haslem...Haslem can get a hand up on an outside shooting big man, but i dont think he can bang with the new bigs on LA, the celtics, or even the suns.

And Elson's the guy who got 12 and 14 on Shaq in Nov.

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 01:45 AM
How is this a fukin lie? It's the got damn truth.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 01:46 AM
How is this a fukin lie? It's the got damn truth.

The Spurs are signing Kurt Thomas?

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 01:47 AM
No, they haven't signed jack. They are still paying asswads like Bonner, Elson, Oberto and Mahinmi.

But doesn't mean they aren't interested..................

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 01:51 AM
No, they haven't signed jack. They are still paying asswads like Bonner, Elson, Oberto and Mahinmi.

But doesn't mean they aren't interested..................

The first post is a lie. The guy didn't hear it on ESPN.

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 01:52 AM
well it's probably somewhere in the ballpark....

timvp
02-10-2008, 02:05 AM
I was against the idea of Kurt Thomas. Now that Gasol and Shaq have become relevant again, I may have to rethink my position. All of a sudden, the Spurs might actually need two post defenders.

But even if the Spurs were able to trade for Thomas, I'd bring him off the bench. Against most teams in the playoffs, a Duncan and Thomas pairing in the frontcourt would be too immobile. As Oberto and Horry insurance and a player to defend Shaq, Amare, Gasol or Bynum? Could be worth it.

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Kurt Thomas is a veteran and in the playoffs he would be valuable. He was one of the best players on the Suns against the Spurs in that series.

Man of Steel
02-10-2008, 06:18 AM
I just heard we are going after Kurt Thomas!!! on ESPN. And I have my head so far up my ass I actually believe this shit. Am I a dumb ass or what?!

Harry Callahan
02-10-2008, 07:52 AM
How bout Francisco Elson for Kevin Durrant. Don't their salaries match?

C'mon Presti. Let's dance. Ha! Ha!

ploto
02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
All of a sudden, the Spurs might actually need two post defenders.
:bang :bang