PDA

View Full Version : Captain Malik - "the player of the game"

Solid D
02-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I still miss Malik. Can you believe the guy is a captain with the Knicks? He didn't even play against the Spurs, nor did he play in the 1st half against the Bucks tonight.

Two huge baskets at the end of the game to come back to beat the Bucks on the 2nd game of a b2b.

Knicks rally to beat Bucks, snap losing streak at 8

MILWAUKEE (AP) -Down 17 points to the Milwaukee Bucks in the third quarter, one night after a tough overtime loss, the New York Knicks seemed headed to their longest losing streak of the season.

But Jamal Crawford and reserve Malik Rose led a furious comeback, and New York rallied to beat the Bucks 99-98 and break an eight-game skid.

Crawford, who led the Knicks with 30 points, sprinted off the floor with his arms over his head as the buzzer sounded.

``It almost felt like we won the championship,'' said Crawford, who hit 11 of 23 shots. ``We needed this win to break the cycle.''

David Lee added 17 points and nine rebounds for the Knicks, who had matched their longest skid of the season with an overtime loss to San Antonio on Friday. The Knicks' last win was an 89-81 home victory over Philadelphia on Jan. 25.

Rose, who did not play in the first half, played 15 minutes in the second half, scoring seven points and grabbing five rebounds, including two huge baskets in the final two minutes.

Crawford tied it at 93 with 3:45 remaining, hitting a 3-pointer as he fell down. Rose's follow shot with 2:35 to go gave the Knicks a 97-96 lead. After Andrew Bogut was called for an offensive foul, his sixth foul of the game, Rose hit a 19-foot jumper with 1:50 left to extend the lead to 99-96.

Charlie Bell then stole the ball from Crawford and scored on a layup with 31 seconds remaining to cut the lead to 99-98. Crawford missed a running jumper with 7 seconds remaining and Villanueva dived on the floor to get the rebound.

After a timeout, Bobby Simmons inbounded the ball to Bell, who drove to the basket and passed to Michael Ruffin, who missed a wild shot at the buzzer.

Crawford called Rose ``the player of the game.''

``We badly needed this win,'' Rose said. ``We've been playing better lately, but we had nothing to show for it.''

Knicks coach Isiah Thomas also had a lot of praise for Rose.

``He's our captain and came in and did all the little things,'' Thomas said. ``He fought with great energy and played with great intensity.''

Thomas said the Knicks' recent struggles have taught the team some ``difficult lessons.'' The Knicks had led in the second half of seven of the eight losses, holding double-digit leads in four of the games.

``I thought our composure in the last three or four minutes of the game was very good,'' he said.

Thomas praised his team's defense on the Bucks' last shot, but also admitted they got ``a little lucky'' that Ruffin, who averages just 1.4 points per game, ended up with the ball.

``For us, luck hasn't been falling our way,'' he said. ``Tonight, we were a little lucky.''

Charlie Villanueva and Michael Redd led the Bucks with 21 points each. The Bucks lost for the fifth time in the past six games.

``We let down and let them back in the game,'' Villanueva said. ``To lose a game like this really hurts. You work so hard and then to let it go at the end is just tough.''

Redd, who returned to the lineup after missing six games with a left knee strain, was left wondering after the game how the Bucks had lost such a big lead.

``We have to look at film and figure it out,'' he said.

The Bucks broke open a close game in the third quarter with a 23-4 run, grabbing an 81-64 lead with 2:50 remaining when Villanueva hit a jumper. Villanueva and Desmond Mason each had eight points during the run.

The Knicks responded with a 15-0 spurt at the end of the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth, cutting the lead to 81-79 on Crawford's 19-foot jumper with 10:34 left.

The teams battled back and forth during the first half, with the biggest lead being by four when Bell hit a jumper with 5:02 remaining in the second quarter to give the Bucks a 42-38 advantage. The Bucks led 50-48 at halftime after Mason hit two free throws with 3.6 seconds left.

Notes: The New York Post reported Saturday that Knicks guard Stephon Marbury would be out for the season following ankle surgery, but coach Isiah Thomas said he hoped that wouldn't be the case. ``We still hope that it's indefinite. We haven't given up on him for the season yet,'' Thomas said. ``Hopefully we'll have him back.'' ... Redd's 21 points gave him 9,904 during his eight seasons with the Bucks, passing Junior Bridgeman for sixth place on the team's career scoring list. Bridgeman, who was at the game to be honored at halftime as part of the Bucks' 40th anniversary celebration, scored 9,892 points in 10 seasons. ... Knicks guard Quentin Richardson returned to the starting lineup after missing the last two games with a sprained ankle.

jag
02-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I miss Malik...the guy's heart got him big bucks...and eventually got him off the Spurs.

duncan228
02-10-2008, 12:58 AM
It was Knicks call on League Pass last night.

Before the game they showed Malik with Duncan and a couple of other Spurs, smiling and catching up. You could see the love and respect they still have for each other.
There was a short interview with Pop about him, Pop was glowing when he talked. He said that Malik was wonderful for the Spurs and the city of San Antonio. He called him "all class."

It was a nice piece.
I miss Malik too.

dallaskd
02-10-2008, 01:02 AM
great article on Malik Rose...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/080122&sportCat=nba

dallaskd
02-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Malik Rose deserves an escape from New York
By Jeff Pearlman

He does not belong here.

Here, in this joyless arena (Madison Square Garden). Here, with this clueless, combative coach (Isiah Thomas). Here, with this snide, vindictive owner (MC Smooth-J Dolan). Here, with one point guard who doesn't pass (Nate Robinson) and another who doesn't play (Stephon Marbury).

Here, with this heartless forward who visits strip clubs on bereavement leave (Zach Randolph), with this heartless starting center who can't rebound (Eddy Curry), with this heartless backup center who can't, well, do much of anything (Jerome James). Here, on this roster of the New York Knickerbockers.

Malik Rose would never admit this. He does what good and righteous players have done for decades: talks about the Knicks turning the corner and being a part of something special, and standing behind Dolan and Thomas and Marbury as they struggle to right a battered and hole-pocked ship.

Yet this is not where he belongs. No way.

To be blunt, Malik Rose is too good for these Knicks -- too good of a teammate, too good of a person. In the immediate aftermath of player introductions, Rose routinely embraces each New York starter in a firm hug while whispering, "Go get 'em" or "Make it your night." During timeouts, as the eyes of the starters stray from Thomas' clipboard to watch the gyrating (and scantily clad) Knicks City Dancers, Rose -- a reserve forward and one of the last men off New York's bench -- leans in as if he were studying details of the Malta Summit.

"You never know," says the 12th-year Drexel product, "when you might be needed."

Rose is the guy who shows up early for practice, who leaves late, who roots for the men playing ahead of him, who refuses to move on until he makes 80 percent of his shots during shooting drills. "Why?" he asks rhetorically. "Because I know I need to shoot a very high percentage to stay on the court. So I always hold myself to that standard."

Again, Malik Rose does not belong here.

In a locker room full of doorknobs, he is a Tiffany bracelet. To a media corps harassed, stymied and intimidated by Dolan's manipulative and oppressive tactics, he is, officially and unofficially, the go-to guy. Rose answers all the questions, tackles all concerns and speaks up for teammates when they are too ashamed to speak for themselves.

Following most of New York's 28 defeats this season, the same pattern has developed: Thomas takes a handful of queries, then vanishes. Three or four Knicks take a handful of queries while their teammates hide in the showers. Dolan, being the wimpiest of wimps, doesn't even appear. Rose, meanwhile, answers all.

Again, he does not belong here.

Were there a God monitoring the daily NBA agate, Rose never would have been involved in that putrid trade three years ago, when the San Antonio Spurs shipped him (along with a pair of first-round draft picks) to New York for two rusted, half-empty tin cans (aka Jamison Brewer and Nazr Mohammed). No, Rose would still be in San Antonio, the city he adopted while enjoying seven and a half blissful years as a Spur. Though he was never a regular starter, Rose served as San Antonio's off-the-bench igniter; a fist-pumping, body-slamming, 6-foot-7, 255-pound cannonball who thrived at sledgehammering Shaquille O'Neal during some of those epic Lakers-Spurs battles.

More important, he became the Spur in the community. Rose opened a restaurant in the city's Quarry Market, "Malik's Philly Phamous," where he could often be found slinging cheesesteaks and cracking jokes. Though he never averaged more than 10.4 points or 6.4 rebounds, the San Antonio Business Journal named Rose one of the city's "40 under 40." Whenever there was an appearance to be made or a charity to endorse, Rose always materialized.

Rose was so beloved that, the night of the trade, Don Harris of WOAI-TV drove out to his house to give the new ex-Spur a chance to bid everyone farewell. In a remarkable bit of hometown journalism that can be seen here, Harris handed Rose the microphone and allotted him all the time he wanted. "Thank you for everything you've given me and allowed me to do," Rose said. "Thank you for allowing me to make Texas my home … San Antonio my home. First and foremost, I wanna say thanks to [coach Gregg Popovich]. Pop has been great. And we've had our ups and downs, sometimes we've hated each other, but I know he knows that through it all I've respected him and loved him as a person and a lot of his views and a lot of his positions on things on life, not just basketball. I think he's a brilliant person with a beautiful heart and I wish nothing but the best for him …"

The interview extends beyond five minutes, a hurting Rose addressing a hurting city. It is as "un-Knicks" as one can get, chock full o' pain and compassion and feeling.

It speaks of a good man. A kind man. A decent man.

Malik Rose does not belong here.

duncan228
02-10-2008, 01:10 AM
That is a great article. It was posted before, here's the conversation on Malik it started:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85504

dallaskd
02-10-2008, 01:27 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r83cWEZkVzk

angel_luv
02-10-2008, 01:36 AM
I miss Malik too.

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 01:42 AM
got damn you guys are pussies. Malik Rose sucks. He is worse than Matt Bonner's grandma.

Come on! Shit.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-10-2008, 01:44 AM
sequ :lol

does he actually behave like this in real life?

Holt's Cat
02-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Interestingly Malik's contract wouldn't be a negative long-term issue for the Spurs anymore...

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Interestingly Malik's contract wouldn't be a negative long-term issue for the Spurs anymore...

:rolleyes

Holt's Cat
02-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Yes, you must be taller than the emoticon to post in the thread.

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Yes, you must be taller than the emoticon to post in the thread.

nice comeback forum............

Solid D
02-10-2008, 02:07 AM
nice comeback forum............

http://gs.mandelweb.com/trebek8.jpg

Ohhh, sorey. You must have mistaken this for the "I Have No Clue" Forum.

SequSpur
02-10-2008, 02:08 AM
http://gs.mandelweb.com/trebek8.jpg

Ohhh, sorey. You must have mistaken this for the "I Have No Clue" Forum.

look in the mirror forum..............

LaMarcus Bryant
02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
what is a sequ spur and how do you pronounce it

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Did you see Rose stand up and scream behind Finley on the game-tying 3 on Friday night?

Rose saw the play developing a mile away.

bigfan
02-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Id trade Elson for him easy.

T Park
02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah Rose would solve the Shaq issue, even in Shaq's good days Rose could muscle him out decently. He was also the perfect Nowitzki defender was well.

Shit if hes on the block, I'd trade for him.

I'm sure hes learned his lesson on pulling his jersey over his head :lol

MI21
02-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I love Malik. He was a big reason why that 2003 Championship team is my favourite...

A lot of Spurs fans never appreciated some of the efforts Malik put forth, especially in important, big games, on both ends of the floor.

I wish he could play a role somewhere! I hate to see him rotting on the bench.