PDA

View Full Version : Where the F' was Bowen?

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I thought that Bowen's stellar defense would be on disply today against Pierce.

Did Bowen even play?

Phooooooo.

ClingingMars
02-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Bowens minutes have decreased ever since Udoka's outburst against LA

-Mars

ShoogarBear
02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Where was this post the four previous games?

carina_gino20
02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I wondered where he was, too, especially during the final few minutes.

boutons_
02-10-2008, 03:51 PM
where was Bruce? on the path to retirement, 0 PT and 0 RB in 31 minutes, he's had too many of those kind of games.

I love the guy for his sometimes defense, but there's more to the game than defense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-10-2008, 03:55 PM
He's fantastic at his style of D but Jesus, Bruce. It wouldn't hurt to add a 3 pointer every now and then.

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Where are all the Bowen Backers?

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Trade Bowen!

exstatic
02-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Where are you when he hangs 20+ on Kobe?

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Where are you when he hangs 20+ on Kobe?
That's not his job, is it?

I thought you guys said Bowen is essential in guarding the other team's best player.

Looks like Pop realizes he is too much of a liability.

ShoogarBear
02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
It's some weak-ass shit to wait around and cherry-pick games.

Where was your boy Damon this game?

tp2021
02-10-2008, 04:00 PM
i say in a perfect world, they could play together for the best shutdown perimeter tandem in the league. but we suck offensively as it is. for that lineup to work, we would need kobe, and for him to go for 81 every night.

exstatic
02-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Looks like Pop realizes that he's 36 and needs Udoka's help.

exstatic
02-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Where was your boy Damon this game?

Question?

He's been "milk carton" for the last two games, and if he's not hitting, he's not worth having on the floor.

objective
02-10-2008, 04:03 PM
where was Bruce? on the path to retirement, 0 PT and 0 RB in 31 minutes, he's had too many of those kind of games.

I love the guy for his sometimes defense, but there's more to the game than defense.

to be fair, the box score does show him with 3 points.

Besides, he can't be on the path to retirement with his new contract extension.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-10-2008, 04:04 PM
he offers nothing on O and his D is slipping, that's why Pop sat his ass

1Parker1
02-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Eh, Bowen wasn't the problem. Pierce is a shooter, and when a shooter is in the zone as Pierce was tonight, it's hard to stop. Not only that, but it didn't help that frickin' Ginobili started on Pierce and got him going! :pctoss

My problem was this: Was it just my eyes or was Jacque Vaughn on Ray Allen a couple times?? :(

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-10-2008, 04:05 PM
That's not his job, is it?

I thought you guys said Bowen is essential in guarding the other team's best player.

Looks like Pop realizes he is too much of a liability.

We're desperate!

1Parker1
02-10-2008, 04:05 PM
The real question is where was Horry?! Pop decided after the first quarter not to play him...

T Park
02-10-2008, 04:06 PM

Yeah except he had a 3 today and a couple rebounds so keep talking out of your ass Trotsky.

T Park
02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
:lol

Now everyone is gonna bag on Damon Stoudamire.

Come on guys.

Radiosparks
02-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Come on guys.

Exactly!

The Spurs just got out hustled today.

DynastyBuilder
02-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Ime has been getting most of the crunch time minutes for some time now...

sabar
02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Bruce and Udoka contested a ton of shots that still fell. Not much more you can ask for unless you want a straight-up block. Their shooters were just on fire.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
If you watched the game, you would know that Bowen spent a lot of time guarding Allen. Everyone and their mother (including Bowen) guarded Pierce for stretches. So, I'm not sure how you can just blame Bowen for Pierce. Maybe if Pierce was Bowen's assignment from start to finish, then I could see it. Pierce just had an awesome day.

Anyway, Bowen got in trouble from Pop today. (Did you all not watch the game?) For missing switches and getting picked off. So he was pulled.

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Question?

He's been "milk carton" for the last two games, and if he's not hitting, he's not worth having on the floor.
My boy, Stoudamire?

Don't get it twisted.

I wanted Sam Cassell.

I did, however, assert that Stoudamire would be an upgrade over Vaughn, which should be obvious to all.

Back to the subject...

Bowen is not starting quality.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Bowen is not starting quality.

Don't come out of the woodwork when he has a bad game, every 10 games or so.

Here's been playing awesome D lately and his shot is coming around.

He sucked today.

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Kori, I know Bowen is your buddy, but Bowen's strength is perimeter defense. If he can't be trusted to guard Pierce, then his @ss belongs on the bench. Pierce is the tougher assignment than Allen.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Kori, I know Bowen is your buddy, but Bowen's strength is perimeter defense. If he can't be trusted to guard Pierce, then his @ss belongs on the bench. Pierce is the tougher assignment than Allen.

I'm guessing we'll see Bowen on Pierce from the get-go in the game against the Celtics in S.A.

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Woodwork?

I've said Bowen should not be starting since Day One!

He's a one-trick pony that should be used as a defensive substitiution, especially at his age and given the Spurs offensive inadequacies.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm still confused as to why these guys refuse to attack the rim. They settle for jump shots way way way way too much. we were -19 in free throw attempts. and yes, the refs sucked, but we were horrifically passive today.

Ghost Writer
02-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Again, Bowen is billed as the defensive stopper.

So where was he today?

And when he did play, why wasn't he assigned to Pierce?

ShoogarBear
02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
What a great point. Bowen isn't the defensive stopper. Your arguments are overwhelming.

Too bad you didn't have the balls to post this after the previous game.

debo
02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
he offers nothing on O and his D is slipping, that's why Pop sat his ass

it would be dumb to believe he will never get his baseline shot back and even if his defense is slipping he is still better deffensively than most players in the NBA.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
it would be dumb to believe he will never get his baseline shot back and even if his defense is slipping he is still better deffensively than most players in the NBA.

it used to be that at least the corner 3 was a lock, now that is not even close to being true

Pop is just slowly working him out of the rotation, but won't bring him off the bench because I think he just feels bad for him because he works to hard

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
it used to be that at least the corner 3 was a lock, now that is not even close to being true

Good take :rolleyes

In the previous 10 games, he was 8-for-19 from 3.

whottt
02-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I've said Bowen should not be starting since Day One!

Day one being 3 NBA Titles ago, right?

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Good take :rolleyes

In the previous 10 games, he was 8-for-19 from 3.

but you have to look at the entire season

I have full faith in him that when the playoffs come his shots will be falling

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
but you have to look at the entire season

I have full faith in him that when the playoffs come his shots will be falling

The only month he really sucked from 3 was January (notice the Spurs January record). And not coincidentally, that's been when Tony was out (who gives him the ball with the best timing).

T Park
02-10-2008, 08:45 PM

I can't wait till the playoffs start, when bowen shuts someone down, and the stooges will be falling over each other to praise Bowen.

Continue hating Ghost..

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 08:50 PM
One weird phenomenon this season is Bowen's 3pt shooting percentage on the road vs home.

24-50 = 48% road
24-67 = 36% home

But overall, he just fizzled in January.

November = 50%
December = 45.2%
January = 26.5%
February = 50%

He averaged 30-31 mpg every month.

I have faith his 3's will get better, particularly when Tony returns.

timvp
02-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, where was Ghost went Bowen turned his boy Jamal Crawford into a ghost against the Knicks? Didn't Ghost say he was going to be in MSG?

Definitely a weak cherry pick of a thread. As Mark Jackson annoyingly would say: Casper, you're better than that.

ducks
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
when bowen was on paul he missed his shots
bowen can not guard allen and paul

Louie Vega
02-11-2008, 12:05 AM

Come on guys.

What the fuck is up with Robinson? He doesn't even bother dressing out anymore!!!! If he doesn't want to be a part of this team he should just retire!!!!
:rolleyes

BonnerDynasty
02-11-2008, 12:07 AM

Anyone who is giving up on Bowen right now is a fool.

He'll be there come playoff time. He'll be there.

mikejones99
02-11-2008, 12:15 AM
why so much love for golf bitches? bunnies r better

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Yeah, where was Ghost went Bowen turned his boy Jamal Crawford into a ghost against the Knicks? Didn't Ghost say he was going to be in MSG?

Definitely a weak cherry pick of a thread. As Mark Jackson annoyingly would say: Casper, you're better than that.
False.

Crawford has struggled playing the point this season. Sure, Bowen didn't make it any easier, but if you want to take pride in "shutting down" the streak shooter that is J. Crawford, go ahead.

I was supposed to go to the Celtics game, but I negotiated with the wife to pass on yesterday's game (knew they would lose) for a chance to buy Finals tickets (Spurs vs. Celts).

All the Bowen bashing aside (I will never deny that he is a superior defender), what I really want to know is:

Why the heck didn't Pop stick Bowen on Pierce for the whole game?

Question.

timvp
02-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Why the heck didn't Pop stick Bowen on Pierce for the whole game?

Question.Pop thought Manu could guard Pierce. Why did Pop think that? Good Question.

vanvannen
02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I remember when Nocioni came into the league was asked who was the harder to defend. Everyone thought he would say Melo or Lebron, but he said Paul Pierce. He said that as Melo and LBJ are more athletic, Pierce has way higher BB IQ, and that he is much tougher.
I guess Pop tought Pierce was a piece of cake compared to Allen and put freaking Ginobili on him.
Horrible coaching by Pop on this one.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Pop thought Manu could guard Pierce. Why did Pop think that? Good Question.
I don't get that at all.

Bowen's job is to draw the toughest assignment.

Even just looking at the players, one can tell that Bowen is a better physical match for Pierce. Manu sizes up better to Allen.

Even more puzzling is why would Pop have Manu empty his tank guarding Pierce instead of floating around the perimeter to check Allen?

I am baffled.

timvp
02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't get that at all.

Bowen's job is to draw the toughest assignment.

Even just looking at the players, one can tell that Bowen is a better physical match for Pierce. Manu sizes up better to Allen.

Even more puzzling is why would Pop have Manu empty his tank guarding Pierce instead of floating around the perimeter to check Allen?

I am baffled.My guess is Pop thought if he could take Ray Allen completely out of the equation, the Celtics wouldn't have enough fire power to beat the Spurs.

Then Pierce scored 13 points in the first five minutes and the plans changed.

It's not that horrible of an idea in theory but it definitely blew up in Pop's face.

urunobili
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
he deserved a day off

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
The strategy makes no sense to me, because the purpose of starting Bowen is to NOT let the opponent's best perimeter player get off early.

1Parker1
02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
^Well, technically it worked. He was on Allen...arguably their best shooter, and he didn't really get going until the 2nd half. Who's to say if he started on Pierce and Ginobili on Allen that Allen wouldn't have gone off?

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
The strategy makes no sense to me, because the purpose of starting Bowen is to NOT let the opponent's best perimeter player get off early.
Not always. Sometimes his job is to just limit one of the options -- e.g., Barry on the Sonics or Marion on the Suns.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, it should be.

If Bowen is not stopping the primary scorer/playmaker, then he's worthless to me.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 01:11 PM
He's always been worthless to you, so what has changed?

It's not like Ray Allen sucks at scoring.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Good point.

Nothing has changed.

You agree with the strategy to have Bowen limit the other team's second option?

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
In certain cases, it has worked fine. We had bigger problems than Bowen Sunday, but at least you're talking about this season.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh, STFU with your sanctimonious crap about "this season."

Too bad for you if you can't keep up with my posts... they run the gamut from past, present and future.

The bottom line is that if Bowen's strength is perimeter defense, then he should've been on Pierce.

Unless he is starting to suck on defense now, too.

Or his offensive inadequacies don't justify extending his minutes, as I've said all along.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
I can easily keep up with your posts. Quite predictable actually.

Bowen sucks.

I wish we had Jack.

I wish we had every balla ever drafted by someone else.

Trade Parker for Payton.

Memphis will never trade just to get expiring contracts.

and so on....

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Ghost writer I'll offer a truce and say you are right, that Bowen should've started Pierce. Allen is easier to guard than Peirce an should've been defended accordingly.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
There's still a hole in our roster that has never been filled.

Pop still likes small ball but we just don't have the right pieces.

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
What hole is that. The quick power forward?

Can easily be filled with one foul swoop of a trade.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
What hole is that. The quick power forward?

Can easily be filled with one foul swoop of a trade.One would hope.

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
If Miami is willing to take Elson and Barry, that problem would be solved. Although i think small ball is dead as TIMVP said.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Ghost writer I'll offer a truce and say you are right, that Bowen should've started Pierce. Allen is easier to guard than Peirce an should've been defended accordingly.
Truce indeed.

I'll even toss that ho Chump an olive branch and admit that the Spurs need quality in the frontcourt even more than at the 3.

However, I would take a PF/C of the same (or less) ability than Elson/Oberto if it meant that he could block shots.

I can't say how much another shotblocker would help this team.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Mobile 4, long 3 -- whatever it is, we don't have it.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Yet you chastise me for thinking S. Swift might be a cheap way to get a long, mobile, shotblocking 4.

I know he's not great, but he fits the bill and is always being moved around.

What's the latest with Ty. Thomas?

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't think he's much of a perimeter defender.

And he's really quite dumb when it comes to basketball.

I'm not counting on getting any help in a trade this season.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Swift sucks on the perimeter and I do question his desire.

I am confused... do you want a big man to defend the perimeter?

SequSpur
02-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Bowen has been missing since the NBA Finals. What a waste of money.........