PDA

View Full Version : Lakers were the only team made aware of Gasol's availability

ducks
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Lakers were the only team made aware of Gasol's availability

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 7:32 am EST
New York Post columnist Peter Vecsey called the deal that sent Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers "the Memphis Grizzlies' tax-deductible donation to the Lakers.''

Vecsey reported that other than the Lakers not a single team was approached regarding Gasol's manifest availability. Had they been, there's every reason to believe the Grizzlies could've gleaned more. At the very least, there's no way Gasol should've been traded for next to nothing except promises of something to come unless Brian Cardinal's contract ($6.3M/$6.7M after this year) was part of the outgoing package.

Guaranteed, Pat Riley would've said "yes" to that in a heartbeat, as evidenced by the Shaq deal. Phoenix insisted Miami assume Marcus Banks' remaining three ($4.2M/$4.55M/$4.847M) years after this one. I assure you, that would've been a Steve Kerr stipulation no matter where Shawn Marion wound up.

Source: New York Post

ShoogarBear
02-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately, the source is Vecsey. It would be nice if there was a more credible source.

But it's certainly believable.

T Park
02-10-2008, 11:14 PM
NBA wouldn't do anything about it, even if its proven to be collusion.

Louie Vega
02-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Vecsey knows his shit!

whottt
02-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately, the source is Vecsey. It would be nice if there was a more credible source.

But it's certainly believable.

It's pretty easy to verify...

exstatic
02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Vecsey says it's so? Then it probably ain't. Memphis has had him on the block since he injured himself playing for Spain in 2006. :lol Anyone who didn't know is a putz.

legit baller
02-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Lakers Are Dynastyyy

exstatic
02-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Lakers Are Dynastyyy
Funniest post of the week. :lol What, are you twelve?

Pistons < Spurs
02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Memphis has had him on the block since he injured himself playing for Spain in 2006. :lol Anyone who didn't know is a putz.
:clap :clap :clap

Thank You.

LakeShow
02-10-2008, 11:30 PM
....and all that talk with Chicago doesn't count? :dizzy

CuckingFunt
02-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Vecsey says it's so? Then it probably ain't. Memphis has had him on the block since he injured himself playing for Spain in 2006. :lol Anyone who didn't know is a putz.That's what I thought. I've been seeing Gasol's name come up in rumors pretty consistently since then.

baseline bum
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Makes you wonder if we'd have ever heard about the Joe Smith secret deal if it wasn't in Minnesota.

legit baller
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Funniest post of the week. :lol What, are you twelve?

ya okay jerk fuck.. ur just pissed coz ur team suckss asss and old..cant wait to see them get swept this year..idiot

exstatic
02-10-2008, 11:34 PM
ya okay jerk fuck.. ur just pissed coz ur team suckss asss and old..cant wait to see them get swept this year..idiot
:lol:lol:lol This just gets better. My "old" team has won three LoBs since the Fakers last tasted champaign. Suck my dick, Lakertrash.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-10-2008, 11:35 PM
jerk fuck? :lol

CuckingFunt
02-10-2008, 11:36 PM
"Jerk fuck" is fantastic.

td4mvp21
02-10-2008, 11:36 PM
This message is hidden because legit baller is on your ignore list.

:smokin

spursfan09
02-10-2008, 11:37 PM

How about you stop worrying about the Lakers so much, and get to bed. Big day at school tomorrow!

legit baller
02-10-2008, 11:40 PM
:lol:lol:lol This just gets better. My "old" team has won three LoBs since the Fakers last tasted champaign. Suck my dick, Lakertrash.

lmfao wow ur one stupid laker hater..ur team is shit..they couldnt even beat the celts witout garnett and some other key plays.stupid fuck
and grow a fuckin dick first u lil desprate fuck

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 11:41 PM
lmfao wow ur one stupid laker hater..ur team is shit..they couldnt even beat the celts witout garnett and some other key plays.stupid fuck
and grow a fuckin dick first u lil desprate fuck

Simmer down, little fella.

legit baller
02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
lmfaoo wow u retards u guys are fuked up..
ay how come u lil ugly mods not bannding me yet lmao dumbshits

Pistons < Spurs
02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
lmfaoo wow u retards u guys are fuked up..
ay how come u lil ugly mods not bannding me yet lmao dumbshits
Is this RedLions West Coast cousin? :lol

CuckingFunt
02-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Somebody should bannd the little jerk fuck.

Holt's Cat
02-10-2008, 11:46 PM
What a legit fucking moron.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I believe everyone knew Gasol was available.

But if I'm reading Vecsey right, he's saying that the Lakers were the only team that Memphis approached. I'm sure plenty of other teams approached Memphis.

ShoogarBear
02-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I believe everyone knew Gasol was available.

But if I'm reading Vecsey right, he's saying that the Lakers were the only team that Memphis approached. I'm sure plenty of other teams approached Memphis.Exactly. What he's saying is that when Memphis was ready to move Gasol, they only ones they told about it were the Lakers, even though other teams had expressed interest. In other words, they didn't care that they were going to get crap from the Lakers and that somebody else could have made a better offer.

legit baller
02-10-2008, 11:52 PM
lmfaoooooo hahaah u guys are fuckinn haleriouss..everyone just has to get in this to back up each others boyfreinds u morons..is that what u spurs fans do play wit eachothers dicks stupid fucks.
and naw i dont have to be banned im leaving anywayz u guys are no lifers.

T Park
02-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Sounds like he wants it.

:lol

I swear letting kids under the age of 12 on should be illegal

exstatic
02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
DON'T BAN HIM. This twat has entertainment value. We haven't had a clown like this around to laugh at in ages.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2008, 11:58 PM
lmfaoooooo hahaah u guys are fuckinn haleriouss..everyone just has to get in this to back up each others boyfreinds u morons..is that what u spurs fans do play wit eachothers dicks stupid fucks.
and naw i dont have to be banned im leaving anywayz u guys are no lifers.

True, bro. Ha-ler-i-ouss. The Lakers iz da mutha fuckin' bomb team in da NBA. Pau Gasol iz da shizzle of da league. Dis forum up in here is hella whack. Fo' sho'. Stupid fvcks.

Anywayz.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Yeah, my thoughts exactly I was like, "no, don't ban him just yet. I like his spelling!"

ShoogarBear
02-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Countdown begins.

FromWayDowntown
02-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Exactly. What he's saying is that when Memphis was ready to move Gasol, they only ones they told about it were the Lakers, even though other teams had expressed interest. In other words, they didn't care that they were going to get crap from the Lakers and that somebody else could have made a better offer.

That would jive with reports that other GM's approached the Grizzlies with offers for Gasol, but couldn't get their calls returned.

If true, it certainly would strongly suggest that the Grizzlies had decided that they were only going to deal with the Lakers; and given what they got, that would seem to be a somewhat curious decision.

Frankly, I don't think the league will do much in the way of investigation. David Stern long ago said that his dream Finals was Lakers v. Lakers and I'm sure that Lakers v. Celtics would be a close second. Given the Lakers-centric nature of the league these days, I would imagine that there isn't much desire to find out whether the Lakers benefitted from a lopsided trade that might have been collusive.

legit baller
02-11-2008, 12:01 AM
lol honestly is that what u guys all do ..hide behind the computer and talk trash to ppl..woww u guys are seriously kids lmao

ShoogarBear
02-11-2008, 12:02 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/04/09/west.quiz/p1.west.jpg

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
lol honestly is that what u guys all do ..hide behind the computer and talk trash to ppl..woww u guys are seriously kids lmao

A textbook example of irony.

san antonio spurs
02-11-2008, 12:06 AM
I think people should get over that trade :lol
The griz liked what they saw in kwame brown and liked the cash. :lol

baseline bum
02-11-2008, 12:09 AM
c-ya jerk fuk

spursfan09
02-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Don't ban him. I'm still trying to figure out what he's actually try to say...

anakha
02-11-2008, 12:42 AM

Where's Louis, I mean Princess Pimp?

Looks like his little brother got out of the cage again...

DazedAndConfused
02-11-2008, 01:41 AM
LOL you guys still whining about this? Guess that repeat isn't looking so definite anymore is it?

freedom&justice
02-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Is this RedLions West Coast cousin? :lol

Probably. That spelling and grammar is atrocious. He's probably still in kindergarten.

T Park
02-11-2008, 01:52 AM
LOL you guys still whining about this? Guess that repeat isn't looking so definite anymore is it?

You guys are sure cocky for nothing having crossed the second round in 4 years.

DazedAndConfused
02-11-2008, 02:14 AM
You guys are sure cocky for nothing having crossed the second round in 4 years.

That's because we were rebuilding you dipshit, a process you will become very familiar with soon. We still only missed the playoffs once and came very close to knocking out the Suns in '06 despite starting Smush Parker and Kwame Brown.

And we never tanked. We're not the Spurs.

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:21 AM

Once again, no life, on another team's message board talking shit like a big shot.

The tape on your horn rims are showing poindexter.

spursfan09
02-11-2008, 02:24 AM
That's because we were rebuilding you dipshit, a process you will become very familiar with soon. We still only missed the playoffs once and came very close to knocking out the Suns in '06 despite starting Smush Parker and Kwame Brown.

Actually Spurs still have some years left. Don't get too excited. Manu, Tim and Tony are not old. They are in thier primes. Tony hasn't even reached his yet.

Man In Black
02-11-2008, 02:41 AM

So are you claiming that the Spurs ACTUALLY Tanked to get the 3rd best chance at the #1 pick? You do know that tanking means that you want the best chance at getting the #1 pick right?

MajicMan
02-11-2008, 02:54 AM
So are you claiming that the Spurs ACTUALLY Tanked to get the 3rd best chance at the #1 pick? You do know that tanking means that you want the best chance at getting the #1 pick right?
Third best chance but there's still a chance. Just like it was pretty clear last year that Boston was tanking to get in on the Greg Oden sweepstakes. I have like a one in a bazillion chance to win the lotto but I still play. If your odds are 3-1 those are still some pretty damn good odds especially when a great big man like Tim Duncan was coming into the league.

MagnusKrauss
02-11-2008, 03:15 AM
i for one love trolls. don't you just love them? it's very entertaining to see them run around flinging shit about even when they're not in their own house. especially when they're not in their own house. :D

TwinFlowers
02-11-2008, 03:29 AM
ha! the spurs SO tanked in 1997. were you even watching ball back then?

it was obvious what was going on. and hey, it was a losing season, so why not? your front office just loses ANY cred to bitch about how another franchise acquires an all-star quality big, ever.

that's what surprised me about pop's comment. he's either got a short memory or some nerve. and pop never struck me as the forgetful type, so there you go. he just came across as a little bitter.

and i like pop, he's a class act. it did surprise me.

collusion? i doubt it, but you never know. all parties claim jerry west was not involved, so i suppose it's a matter of whether you believe them or not. i think in a few years it's not going to look so one-sided. javaris and marc gasol are both ballers, believe it or not, and some of the other media-driven potential trade proposals come pretty close to being either entirely unrealistic or worse than what MEM actually wound up with. depends entirely on what MEM does with their cap space, and most teams don't use space very well. will MEM be different? probably not.

but getting back to the point, man, to suggest SAS wasn't tanking the last part of the '97 season, well, maybe your cable was out or something.

at least ainge didn't get dunc, i'll give you that much. that still brings a smile to my face.

ludda
02-11-2008, 03:32 AM
where did all these laker trolls come from all of a sudden. Must be recruited by DazedandConfused.

MajicMan
02-11-2008, 03:37 AM
i for one love trolls. don't you just love them? it's very entertaining to see them run around flinging shit about even when they're not in their own house. especially when they're not in their own house. :D
Gotta love Spurs homers calling Laker fans trolls.

ShoogarBear
02-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Laker scum are the great frontrunners of the sports world. None of them had the guts to show their faces before.

slayermin
02-11-2008, 03:38 AM
where did all these laker trolls come from all of a sudden. Must be recruited by DazedandConfused.

Just imagine 12 million fans of a basketball team that don't know anything about the sport of basketball.

Then imagine Southern California.

anakha
02-11-2008, 03:40 AM

Gotta love Laker trolls not understanding that they're not exactly in a Laker board.

MajicMan
02-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Laker scum are the great frontrunners of the sports world. None of them had the guts to show their faces before.
Check my post history and register date.

ehz33satx
02-11-2008, 03:41 AM
How about you stop worrying about the Lakers so much, and get to bed. Big day at school tomorrow!

With his spelling skills and his fine use of correct grammer, looks like he dropped out @ the 7th or 8th grade, give or take a few years.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-11-2008, 03:45 AM
We had a good run...

3-4 years of Lakers as a bottom-feeding team...and not having to put up with the marginal Laker fans' postering and obnoxiousness...

If only Chicago had the balls to trade for Gasol a year earlier, Kupchak wouldn't have been bailed by West in keeping Kobe from being traded. :depressed

Oh well it was a good run. Hopefully we repeat before Lakers start easing into their dominant form.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-11-2008, 03:47 AM
There are some Laker regulars on here who aren't trolls.

It's the posters that came in here to gloat after a Boston loss, that they're referring to... :lol

TwinFlowers
02-11-2008, 03:48 AM
yeah, i'm a lakers fan. but the spurs are fine with me when you get right down to it.

i think the gist of vescey's article wasn't that teams didn't know pau was on the block, which everyone knew, but that his prices was basically ending K, rookie K's, and picks.

which i don't agree with. i think most teams knew that from the get go.l

so i don't know what peter was going on about.

if another team was willing to take on cardinal, then yeah, MEM would have been better served to wait. but i don't see any team that was willing to do that. MIA could have matched ending K, but no way riles gives up this year's pick and the heat had no prospects that match critt or marc's upside. CHI was not going to pay the lux tax, so they're out of the bidding. DAL has some ending K but cuban wasn't going to part with howard and MEM has no need for harris or his new K. who could the spurs offer?

go down the list of teams with ending K, prospects better than critt and euro-league MVP marc gasol, and willing to deal away multiple picks and get back to me.

vescey is a dolt. but you guys knew that.

exstatic
02-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Newsflash: it's our board, and this is how we roll. If this is unappetizing to you, there is always that Log Out button.

remingtonbo2001
02-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Lakers Are Dynastyyy???

Fixed.

He forget the punctuation at the end.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Third best chance but there's still a chance. Just like it was pretty clear last year that Boston was tanking to get in on the Greg Oden sweepstakes. I have like a one in a bazillion chance to win the lotto but I still play. If your odds are 3-1 those are still some pretty damn good odds especially when a great big man like Tim Duncan was coming into the league.So by your own definition the Lakers tanked the 04-05 season.

Great.

DazedAndConfused
02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
You do realize you guys are throwing out baseless accusations that there was collusion involved in the Lakers getting Pau despite having ZERO evidence to back it up. And no, Peter Vescey is not evidence. It's a bit ironic for you guys to be calling others trolls.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
You do realize you guys are throwing out baseless accusations that there was tanking involved in the Spurs getting Duncan despite having ZERO evidence to back it up. And no, Charles Barkley is not evidence.

ApolloCreed
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
LMAO!

Yeah, the Spurs didn't tank to get Tim Duncan!
:rolleyes

DazedAndConfused
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
You do realize you guys are throwing out baseless accusations that there was tanking involved in the Spurs getting Duncan despite having ZERO evidence to back it up. And no, Charles Barkley is not evidence.

I'll shutup about tanking when you shutup about collusion.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah, the Spurs didn't tank to get Tim Duncan!
:toast

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I'll shutup about tanking when you shutup about collusion.Since I never ever said anything about collusion except to say there wasn't any, I expect you to shut the fuck up right now.

DazedAndConfused
02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
I won't shut the fuck up, but I will shut up.

ambchang
02-11-2008, 01:35 PM

The last time the Spurs were rebuilding, they beat the 3-peat Lakers to a championship, then won again in 2 years, and another one in 2 years.

ambchang
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Third best chance but there's still a chance. Just like it was pretty clear last year that Boston was tanking to get in on the Greg Oden sweepstakes. I have like a one in a bazillion chance to win the lotto but I still play. If your odds are 3-1 those are still some pretty damn good odds especially when a great big man like Tim Duncan was coming into the league.

It is best to keep your mouth shut when you don't know your history.
Check the Spurs' record in 1997, their record actually IMPROVED later on in the year.

Second, nobody said the Spurs had 3-1 odds at winning the lottery that year, he said the Spurs had the 3rd best chance. Do you know how the lottery works? (http://www.nba.com/history/lottery_probabilities.html)

Finally, by your definition, every single team that didn't make the playoffs are tanking, because every single team in the lottery has a better chance to land a top pick than anybody winning the lotto, but they are still trying, right?

MajicMan
02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Tankers...Even Sir Charles called you guys tankers.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Team: Boston CelticsOwned.

himat
02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
jerk fuck? :lol

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

DazedAndConfused
02-11-2008, 03:06 PM
The Spurs have not "rebuilt" since they got Tim Duncan. Re-tooling yes, but never rebuilding. When you go deep into the playoffs every single year that's not rebuilding. When your team wins a championship you're not rebuilding.

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
The Spurs have not "rebuilt" since they got Tim Duncan. Re-tooling yes, but never rebuilding. When you go deep into the playoffs every single year that's not rebuilding. When your team wins a championship you're not rebuilding.

When you turnover half of your roster in one season, that's not rebuilding?

txstr1986
02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
True, bro. Ha-ler-i-ouss. The Lakers iz da mutha fuckin' bomb team in da NBA. Pau Gasol iz da shizzle of da league. Dis forum up in here is hella whack. Fo' sho'. Stupid fvcks.

Anywayz.

:lol that is awesome

MadDog73
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
It's funny, if I was a Faker fan, I'd be on Suns boards, making fun of Shaq.

Much better to make fun of a team you could actually beat in the playoffs, you know. ;)

MajicMan
02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Charles Barkley's take on the Spurs tanking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv24frDECA4

MajicMan
02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
It's funny, if I was a Faker fan, I'd be on Suns boards, making fun of Shaq.

Much better to make fun of a team you could actually beat in the playoffs, you know. ;)
How many times did we beat you? Nuff said..You guys could only win by default.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Wow! We've never seen that before!

MadDog73
02-11-2008, 04:20 PM
How many times did we beat you?

What have you done lately?

Geez, people are acting like the West still has the best teams in the NBA or something...

ambchang
02-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Can't help it that the Spurs FO can change every single player on the roster sans Tim Duncan from 1999, and still not miss playoffs and win championships.