PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Mav trades?

Findog
02-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Dallas isn't going to trade for Kidd because of what it does to their cap situation and the fact that they're unwilling to part with Bass and Harris, the only kind of assets a team like Jersey would want. But the following trades do work under the cap:

1) Jason Terry to the Clippers for Sam Cassell and Aaron Williams for salary filler. Cassell is a true point guard, Terry isn't, and the Mavs get insurance at the point since Devin is so injury-prone and rid themselves of Terry's contract. Do the Clippers do this deal because Terry is 7 years younger than Cassell and there's uncertainty over Livingston's return from that knee injury?

2) Jason Terry, Moe Ager and Trenton Hassell to the Clippers for Sam Cassell and Corey Maggette. Dallas gets a true PG and fills their hole at the two, while freeing themselves of JET's contract. The Clippers once again get their PG as insurance for Livingston and part with Maggette that they've tried to move before and is not one of Dunleavy's faves. Ager is a young player at the same position as Maggette that is still on his rookie contract and can audition for a bigger role. Hassell has to be included to make the salaries match. Hassell has two years after this one though at 4.5 million a year. I can't imagine the Clippers wanting him, but I couldn't figure out another way to make it worth fiddling with the trade machine.

3) Jason Terry to the Clippers for Corey Maggette and Brevin Knight. In this one the Clippers don't have to take back Hassell's contract, while Dallas gets a backup for Harris, along with filling their hole at SG.

If you were the Clippers, would you do any of these deals?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-11-2008, 03:14 AM
Does Diop deserve to be in the doghouse?

Findog
02-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Does Diop deserve to be in the doghouse?

I don't think so. Didn't see the stinker tonight, but he was excellent against Memphis.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-11-2008, 03:19 AM
sorry if that question was random and didn't have much to do with your thread topic. I was just surprised to see his playing time decrease so much.

Would you Mav fans really embrace a Terry for Cassell trade? I mean Cassell is def. much more of a true PG than Terry will ever be, but you'd be lucky to get him to finish out the season at the rate his injuries occur.

If I'm a Mav fan I'd love to do a Terry for Maggette trade (Knight would be a sweet throw in) but I know Sterling has a huge hard on for Maggette though Dunleavy seems to have a beef with him.

Findog
02-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Terry's contract sucks. It runs through 11-12. Magette + Knight for Terry works.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-11-2008, 03:27 AM
man, whatever happened to Brevin Knight? I remember him being a stud when he was with Charlotte, I believe.

Findog
02-11-2008, 03:29 AM
I look at our team and I see the core as Dirk, Josh and Devin. And if you want part of our core, be prepared to pay up and blow us away with an offer. Terry, Dampier and Stackhouse are useful and important players for us, but they have bad contracts and I'd love to be able to move them if I can. Bass is a promising youngster who makes almost nothing, so he can't bring back equal value for his salary slot, and I want to hold onto him.

ludda
02-11-2008, 03:30 AM
If youre only willing to give up Terry and spares, youre not going to get Maggette or anything of value.

Findog
02-11-2008, 03:32 AM
If youre only willing to give up Terry and spares, youre not going to get Maggette or anything of value.

They almost did a Terry + Maggette trade in the summer. Dunleavy wanted to do it. Terry would actually fill a need for the Clips, Cassell is old and a FA this summer and who knows what will happen with Livingston.

JamStone
02-11-2008, 04:26 AM
If I were running the Clippers, I wouldn't make any of those deals. Maggette has value. And, Cassell has the most value he's had in years because he can help a team needing point guard help immediately and his contract expires. If the Clippers take on Terry's contract, they are taking on about $40 million more than they trade away. It's just not a very good deal because Terry doesn't make the Clippers markedly better.

sribb43
02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
They almost did a Terry + Maggette trade in the summer. Dunleavy wanted to do it. Terry would actually fill a need for the Clips, Cassell is old and a FA this summer and who knows what will happen with Livingston.

you people think the Clips are going to trade Maggette 4 Terry....Terry has about 4 more years left on his deal. why do you think donald sterling rejected the deal back in the summer bc he doesnt want to take on long contracts. its was nice that the mavs offered it up but we all no the clipps arent going to add more salary over the course of years.

Trade 1 and 3 wouldnt work either bc Cassell has an expiring deal and they would buy him out before they would ever trade him for Terry and his contract