PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: 'Big Baby' makes big plays for Boston

THE SIXTH MAN
02-11-2008, 03:03 AM
Spurs notebook: 'Big Baby' makes big plays for Boston

Web Posted: 02/10/2008 10:21 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

BOSTON — Boston rookie Glen "Big Baby" Davis was awestruck the first time he was asked to enter Sunday's game against the Spurs.

The 6-foot-9 center's assignment? Guard Tim Duncan.

"Oh, man," Davis said. "It was amazing to be out there with him."

With big men Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins both sidelined, the Celtics started 6-foot-8 Leon Powe on Duncan. It was Davis, however, who made Duncan break a sweat in Boston's 98-90 victory.

Duncan finished with 22 points and 14 rebounds but found himself frequently harassed by Boston's not-so-big men.

"They're a little more annoying," Duncan said of Davis and Powe. "You use your advantages here and there. I have size on them, they do a good job with their defensive positioning."

Davis, especially, proved adept at tipping away entry passes or slapping the ball out of Duncan's hands.

"Davis did a good job of being strong, being a wide body and not giving me many really good angles," Duncan said.

For that, perhaps, Garnett deserves an assist.

An 11-year veteran of the Western Conference, the Celtics' injured forward met with Davis in the hours before Sunday's game to go over Duncan's tendencies.

"He ran through what (Duncan) does, and he was right," Davis said. "Everything he did, everything he knows how to do, was really predictable. I tip my hat off to KG for helping me out."

Unfamiliar feeling: For the first time in his NBA career, Duncan left Boston with a loss.

The Spurs entered Sunday's game with a nine-game winning streak at the TD Banknorth Garden, dating to Jan. 8, 1997, when Duncan was a senior at Wake Forest.

Changing of guards: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich made one lineup adjustment, opting to start Jacque Vaughn at point guard instead of Damon Stoudamire.

Stoudamire had started all three games since signing with the Spurs last week.

Injury update: The Spurs still expect to welcome back injured point guard Tony Parker sometime after the All-Star break. The future for injured reserve guard Brent Barry, out since Jan. 26 with a strained muscle in his left calf, remains murkier.

It is Barry's second stint on the injured list caused by problems with the same calf. He missed nine games from Dec. 28 to Jan. 14.

"Tony I'm very confident will be back right after All-Star break," Popovich said. "Brent is going to take a few more weeks than that, because a calf tear is just that kind of an injury. It takes a while."

Neither Parker nor Barry are on the Spurs' ongoing rodeo road trip.
[email protected]

link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021108.04D.spurs_notebook_0211.en.3555c5c.html )

timvp
02-11-2008, 03:07 AM
"Tony I'm very confident will be back right after All-Star break," Popovich said.Sounds good ... as long as Parker is healthy this time.

"Brent is going to take a few more weeks than that, because a calf tear is just that kind of an injury. It takes a while."Translation: We'll hold Barry out until after the trade deadline just in case we trade him.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-11-2008, 03:07 AM
ouch, did Davis call Duncan predictable?

objective
02-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Before anybody complains that the Spurs wasted a 2nd round pick on Marcus Williams when Big Baby Davis was still on the board . . .

Just take comfort in the knowledge that if the Spurs had drafted Davis that Pop probably wouldn't have given him any chances at playing time this year anyway.

Spaceman Spiff
02-11-2008, 04:16 AM
I call bullshit.

Davis made two steals on bad entry passes and forced Duncan into two tough shots (one makeable, one not). He got away with a push on one of Duncan's bank shots, too. ESPN's daily dime is acting like he's the ultimate Timmy stopper.

Great storyline, but the Duncan/Davis matchup wasn't the crux of the game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-11-2008, 04:20 AM
ouch, did Davis call Duncan predictable?
Stupid.

Duncan's got too many post moves. He may be methodical, but he's too effective to be called predictable. Davis doesn't know what it's like to play against Duncan in a 7 game series. I doubt Kurt Thomas would call Duncan predictable.

whottt
02-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Actually...IME Duncan can get predictable at times...and then he fixes it.

Robert Horry had Duncan completely figured out by the 01-02 season, to the point where Pop and Duncan both considered him the best Duncan defender in the NBA...

And then, to quote Horry, Duncan chaged it up on him.

This is no joke...the Spurs didn't sign Robert Horry to hit clutch shots for them...they signed him so the Lakers wouldn't have him to defend Duncan with.

So yeah...he can get into certain habits and become a little bit predictable, because what he does is so effective.

But at the same...he'll fix that sooner or later....Davis' comments will only serve to speed up that process.

I'm just glad Duncan found out that Garnett and the Celts have his moves figured out now...instead of in the playoffs...because he'll have some surprises lined up for them should we meet them in the finals.

slayermin
02-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Nevermind.

timvp
02-11-2008, 04:59 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0210/nba_g_duncan_580.jpg

Breast-to-arm defense only works so many times. Next time Duncan matches up on Davis, Duncan is going to treat Davis like Amare.

:hungry:

hsxvvd
02-11-2008, 05:24 AM
We should have drafted Davis, I was praying for it on draft day.

He was an absolute steal at 47 and a shitload better than Williams and maybe even Splitter. He's better than Tyrus Thomas, in fact, he's the reason he was drafted so high, because Thomas would have done sqwat at LSU without Davis.

I'm sick of seeing teams avoid great college players, solely because they don't fit the mold of a traditional position, too short, too slow, bull shit. If they can play, they generally do! Davis 2007, Millsap 2006, Gomes 2005 every year!

genomefreak13
02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Duncan finished with 22 points and 14 rebounds but found himself frequently harassed by Boston's not-so-big men...

"Davis did a good job of being strong, being a wide body and not giving me many really good angles," Duncan said.

Good job? Duncan scored 22pts with 14 reb and he did good defense? Wow! The spurs lost because they weren't themselves - not because Davis defended well. A little more offense coming off the bench would have won it all for the spurs...

freedom&justice
02-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Totally silly and somewhat off topic - I HATE that Big Baby moniker. More than I do "Boobie", even. And he's sounding way too cocky for a rook. Talk shit when you actually do something when it really counts.

genomefreak13
02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
[/QUOTE]"He ran through what (Duncan) does, and he was right," Davis said. "Everything he did, everything he knows how to do, was really predictable. I tip my hat off to KG for helping me out."[QUOTE]

This is how predictable Duncan is:

He plays "fundamentally simple" in the regular season - but just enough to get him to the all star games.

By playoff time he dominates the game and when its all over the spurs usually gets into the finals.

In the finals he again dominates, then, they win the championship - Duncan usually being Finals MVP.

Duncan go through his annual river parade while other team rebuild with Duncan in mind.

The new season stars with a ring awarding ceremony.

That 's how predictable Duncan's game is. Good Luck to you Glen "Cry Baby" Davis. Keep on predicting.

E20
02-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Man that fucking nick name pissese me off. Glen Davis as a person pisses me off as well. I wished TD would have dunked the ball down his throat.

SAGambler
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I wished TD would have dunked the ball down his throat.

That's the thing. He should have. He should have used and abused Davis, like the rookie he is. But he didn't. And you should ask yourself why?

Duncan should have had a 30/20 game yesterday. Anything less than that, you have to consider he was Kept Under Control.

As I said in another thread, Duncan made Davis's year. And it didn't have to be that way.

Bruno
02-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Good news for Parker. If he come back fully healthy this injury could have been a blessing in disguise. Parker will have more energy for the playoffs after this 3 weeks rest.

Barry should have been out 3 to 4 weeks and it seems it will be around 6 weeks. Given that it is a nagging injury, Spurs should be really careful to have him ready for the playoffs.

urunobili
02-11-2008, 11:06 AM
we'll see what he brings to the table come playoff tie.. got extra cocky after the win in Detroit... i don;t think Rasheed will give him much life then...

pad300
02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
That's the thing. He should have. He should have used and abused Davis, like the rookie he is. But he didn't. And you should ask yourself why?

Duncan should have had a 30/20 game yesterday. Anything less than that, you have to consider he was Kept Under Control.

As I said in another thread, Duncan made Davis's year. And it didn't have to be that way.

Does the word sandbagging mean anything to you? Tim doesn't really bring it fully aggressive in the regular season.

SAGambler
02-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Does the word sandbagging mean anything to you? Tim doesn't really bring it fully aggressive in the regular season.

Then I suggest Duncan take a long hard look at the standings, and the strength of the West, and put "sandbagging" aside. Otherwise "regular season" may be all he has to be aggressive.

We are in 6th place with, Denver, Houston, Portland, and Golden State right on our ass. A couple more "sandbagging" games, and we may find ourselves on the outside looking in.

There is no reason to sandbag a game. Especially when you are being paid the $$$$ these guys are. If you are going to take a mans money, give him your all for it. Not "give it your all when you feel like it".

ambchang
02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I think I am in the minority when I actually think Glen Davis (I hate that stupid nickname as well) did a great job defending Duncan. He brought a playoff intensity to the defense, and was very very physical with Duncan. Just one of the rare times Duncan didn't abuse his man repeatedly in a 1 on 1 situation as well.
Also credit Boston's overall defense, they were active, closed on open shots and passes as quickly as any team.
I didn't think the Celtics would made it because I thought they had a terrible bench, PG and coach, seems like I am at least wrong on 2 of those.

T Park
02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
maybe even Splitter

Uh no. Splitter is a stud. Davis is a big bodied second round pick.

theres a reason he was picked that low.

himat
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
"Big Baby" was schooling the Pistons too in the last game. He was getting pretty cocky too. I would rather have him have a couple of amazing games against us now instead of the playoffs.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Big baby is gonna get the smackdown when they come to san antonio. He's gonna be another one of those young players being schooled by the great TD. It was all about being at home and playing hard so they could show they are the best.

The call against Duncan (offensive foul) was a horrible call that you NEVER NEVER NEVER should call against a star of his caliber.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
"He ran through what (Duncan) does, and he was right," Davis said. "Everything he did, everything he knows how to do, was really predictable. I tip my hat off to KG for helping me out."

tim is going to make him eat those words next time. that along with everything else he obviously eats.