PDA

View Full Version : Spurs lose to Boston without KG........called an upset.

lebomb
02-11-2008, 10:59 AM
..........that is what Ive heard on ESPN, on the radio and read in the paper. WTF???? The Spurs were without Tony!!!! They make it seem like Boston was hurting without KG....but, the Spurs should have sucked it up and won. Both KG and Tony are averaging about the same. Tony is SUPER important to the Spurs, because he opens up the middle and Tim Duncan. No respect STILL. :pctoss

ancestron
02-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I know. I was getting sick yesterday listening to the broadcast. All this drooling over the greatest team ever in the history of the NBA ever, the Boston Celtics yay! wow they are so good!
You'd think they won the Championship last year. They still haven't done shit except be freakin media darlings.
They should've been interviewing Tim Duncan before half-time. "So what do you think of these guys trying to knock you off the mountain Tim? I mean who do they think they are?"
I can't stand Paul Pierce. You can just look at him and tell he's a dick.

m33p0
02-11-2008, 11:39 AM
upset? O RLY?

nkdlunch
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Celtics are good. Add Garnett and Parker and it would be an awesome competitive series!

gmanrulz
02-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Obviously parker is more important to spurs then KG is to boston, you know, cuz otherwise we would have won

Budkin
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
We all knew this was going to happen. The truth will be told in June.

BonnerDynasty
02-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah it is funny. Every recap I have heard the last 24 hours has played it off as a huge UPSET.

George Bush hates Spurs people.

Pistons < Spurs
02-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Everyone fails to mention that Boston was also without Perkins. Now don't get me wrong, he's not an All Star player, but he is their starting Center. He's been a solid defensive contributor all year. Their second leading rebounder, and he blocks just as many shots as KG. Sure Big Baby stepped in and had a very nice game .. but that really speaks more about their depth. I thought it was rather appalling that Duncan and Oberto didn't or couldn't take advantage of Boston missing both of their starting bigs.

And I personally find KG to be a much bigger/valuable piece to the Celts than I see Parker being for the Spurs. Duncan is the equivalent to KG in terms of value towards their teams, not Parker.

The Dude
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Why even watch ESPN?

JamStone
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
It was an upset. Spurs should have won the game even without Parker.

jman3000
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
we lost to the celtics last year too. big fucking deal.

spursfan09
02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
It would of been more of an upset if we lost on our homecourt. Oh yeah when Toronto beat blewout the Spurs on thier homefloor. Thats an upset.

spursfan09
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
And would it of been an upset if all Celts were healthy but lost to the Tony-less Spurs?

lebomb
02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Everyone fails to mention that Boston was also without Perkins. Now don't get me wrong, he's not an All Star player, but he is their starting Center. He's been a solid defensive contributor all year. Their second leading rebounder, and he blocks just as many shots as KG. Sure Big Baby stepped in and had a very nice game .. but that really speaks more about their depth. I thought it was rather appalling that Duncan and Oberto didn't or couldn't take advantage of Boston missing both of their starting bigs.

And I personally find KG to be a much bigger/valuable piece to the Celts than I see Parker being for the Spurs. Duncan is the equivalent to KG in terms of value towards their teams, not Parker.

OK.....then where does that put Paul P. and Ray Allen??? You think KG is the overall leader like Tim? So Tony is like Paul P or Allen??

You also forgot that Brent Barry didnt play. That throws the Spurs lineup off as well.

Whatever......I still dont see it as an upset. Sorry. :rolleyes

bdictjames
02-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Considering how well we've been playing over the last month or so, yeah it was a HUGE upset, nothing we've ever seen.

Celts fans are gonna be mad when you are talking about how Tony is as important to this team as Garnett. Homer alert!!!

ApolloCreed
02-11-2008, 01:59 PM
LMAO at comparing Tony Parker to KG.

It was a big upset.

Boston played with heart and compensated for missing their all-nba big man.

The_Game
02-11-2008, 02:01 PM
boston were also without their starting center Perkins....they were very shorthanded. which makes the win that much greater for them.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-11-2008, 02:05 PM

You are seeing this from the value stand point however i have to disagree - Parker is fundamental to the spurs style of play and the pieces it currently has. It's the way the team is built.

Boston seems to be ok without KG as another role player comes in an fits right in their scheme. The spurs don't have another player who can do what Parker does within that specific game plan. It has been clear how different this team is when Parker is playing decently well. When TP is playing his A game, the spurs are almost unbeatable. It creates a huge problem for the opponent's defense plan and allows manu to get loose. Tim has more space to move around and the ball generally moves faster and better.

KG is KG although he hasn't proven anything yet unlike Parker. I don't think not having KG on affects Boston as much as not having Parker affects the spurs.

stretch
02-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Tony is SUPER important to the Spurs, because he opens up the middle and Tim Duncan. No respect STILL. :pctoss
Umm, no its COMPLETELY the other way around. Tim Duncan opens up the middle for Tony Paker.

lebomb
02-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Is everyone comparing size or something?? Tony Parker is arguably as valuable to the Spurs as any star on any other team. I dont see KG as the Celts superstar.....I see Paul Pierce. Did everyone forget about the championship last year.....without Tony the Spurs would NEVER have won it all. He was our MVP or THE MVP for that matter. I still say a Spurs team that lost without Parker is not considered an upset.

ludda
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Who cares..with all the Celtics and KG nut riding, I'm surprised this wasn't made a bigger deal than it was. Frankly, I'm surprised ESPN didn't throw a post game celebration for the Celtics for their heroic "upset"

Pistons < Spurs
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Whatever......I still dont see it as an upset. Sorry. :rolleyes
The defending Champions. The most consistent and proven team this League has had for the last 6 years or so. Losing to an up comer just built this offseason. A team whom everyone questioned their ability to achieve chemistry. A team that everyone said the biggest weakness was their depth.

And then they go out and beat the Spurs missing two of their starters. One of them being their best player. A top 10 player in the entire League.

And, the Spurs made a free agent acquisition to help bolster the loss of TP. Naturally he can't replace or duplicate what Parker means to the team, but it's still another player brought in to backup, and help sooth the loss of key personal.

It was an upset. And that doesn't mean that the Celts are some scrub team. They're for real. And my Pistons will probably have a real tough time getting past them...or even looking foolish against them... to reach the Finals.

But a Spurs team missing Parker and Barry, should pretty much always beat a team missing 2 starters, including this Celtic team. And they shouldn't allow Leon Powe, Brian Scalibriene or Big Baby to control the paint and the glass for any period of time.

lebomb
02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Umm, no its COMPLETELY the other way around. Tim Duncan opens up the middle for Tony Paker.

When Tony drives the lane, everyone converges on him.....that allows him to dish to the 3pt. line, or a dump off underneath to whomever. You know what I meant
:rolleyes

spursfan09
02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
The defending Champions. The most consistent and proven team this League has had for the last 6 years or so. Losing to an up comer just built this offseason. A team whom everyone questioned their ability to achieve chemistry. A team that everyone said the biggest weakness was their depth.

What ESPN have you been watching? They've been all over the nuts of these guys. I didn't even read the rest of your post.

lebomb
02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
But a Spurs team missing Parker and Barry, should pretty much always beat a team missing 2 starters, including this Celtic team. And they shouldn't allow Leon Powe, Brian Scalibriene or Big Baby to control the paint and the glass for any period of time.

You dumbass......Tony and Barry are also 2 starters!!!!

spursfan09
And Spur fans stop mentioning Tony Parker. Apparently fans of other teams think we are just missing him only because he's a good looking guy and brings Eva to the games. I mean its not like he's good or anything. Heaven forbid Spur fans think Tony Parker is key to the Spurs and blame our losses on his absence...

SpurOutofTownFan

And then they go out and beat the Spurs missing two of their starters. One of them being their best player. A top 10 player in the entire League.

And, the Spurs made a free agent acquisition to help bolster the loss of TP. Naturally he can't replace or duplicate what Parker means to the team, but it's still another player brought in to backup, and help sooth the loss of key personal.

It was an upset. And that doesn't mean that the Celts are some scrub team. They're for real. And my Pistons will probably have a real tough time getting past them...or even looking foolish against them... to reach the Finals.

I give you they are a team just rebuilt but you have people like Pierce who couldn't miss anything last night and when he was in the bench, Allen was doing the same. What about Posey? When a team is shooting like that there's not so much you can do.

T Park

IMO the celtics would've lost had they had Garnett and Perkins.

Spurs would've stayed big. Would've kept some players off the floor that were killin the SPurs. I also think Garnett would've taken shots away from Pierce and Allen and others.

Just my opinion wich is founded in stupidity.

Pistons < Spurs
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Is everyone comparing size or something?? Tony Parker is arguably as valuable to the Spurs as any star on any other team. I dont see KG as the Celts superstar.....I see Paul Pierce. Did everyone forget about the championship last year.....without Tony the Spurs would NEVER have won it all. He was our MVP or THE MVP for that matter. I still say a Spurs team that lost without Parker is not considered an upset.
Nor would they have won without Duncan.

But without Parker, I believe the the team could adjust, have beckups step in, and at least have a fighting chance.

Take out Duncan, and the Spurs have no chance in hell. You can't make up for that.

I view the Celts the same way. Lose Pierce or Allen for a playoff series, and I believe they could still find a way to win. But without KG they're going down.

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:13 PM
What about Posey? When a team is shooting like that there's not so much you can do.

Posey was off and missed a couple of WIDE open shots.

Agreed though not much you could do about the perimiter players.

Bowen although should've started on Peirce to start the game.

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM

But without Parker, I believe the the team could adjust, have beckups step in, and at least have a fighting chance.

Take out Duncan, and the Spurs have no chance in hell. You can't make up for that.

I view the Celts the same way. Lose Pierce or Allen for a playoff series, and I believe they could still find a way to win. But without KG they're going down.

Its easier to take away Ginobili and have the Spurs win witha healthy Parker and Duncan, than have a heatlhy Manu and Duncan an win without Parker.

SpurOutofTownFan
Posey was off and missed a couple of WIDE open shots.

Agreed though not much you could do about the perimiter players.

Bowen although should've started on Peirce to start the game.

wasn't posey who got 2 straight 3-pts to kill our only lead of the game?

lebomb
My whole point is that all the media was like.....no Garnett, no Garnett.....well fuck.....we didnt have Parker.....our LEADING scorer and play maker. You can just plug any friggen point guard in there and play the same!!!! How good would Phoenix have done against the Celts without Nash??? A Celtic upset obviously :rolleyes

spursfan09

oh yeah Tony Parker doesn't change the complexion of the game at all. With him or without him the Spurs are the same... I believe yes the Spurs can win without TP, but hell no will they win teh championship without him. They need him.

lebomb
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM

LMAO.....there is NO FUCKIN way the Celts win it all without Pierce......dude....you are sick......LOL.
:lol

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
wasn't posey who got 2 straight 3-pts to kill our only lead of the game?

I thought it was Allen.

I more than likely am wrong.

T Park
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
My whole point is that all the media was like.....no Garnett, no Garnett.....well fuck.....we didnt have Parker.....our LEADING scorer and play maker. You can just plug any friggen point guard in there and play the same!!!! How good would Phoenix have done against the Celts without Nash??? A Celtic upset obviously :rolleyes

Actually Duncan is the leaing scorer on the team.

Pistons < Spurs
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
You dumbass......Tony and Barry are also 2 starters!!!!
Yeah...Brent Barry the Starter!!!

He who started 41 games in the last 4 years combined! And 28 of those 41 come in 1 year. Meaning that other than 2 months in 06', he stated 13 times in 3 seasons!

stretch
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
When Tony drives the lane, everyone converges on him.....that allows him to dish to the 3pt. line, or a dump off underneath to whomever. You know what I meant
:rolleyes
Tony drives to the lane with ease and is able to dish passes out BECAUSE of Tim Duncan's presence.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Parker's absence appeared to hurt the Spurs worse than KG not being in uniform for Boston.

Tim played a rather lethargic game, and the offense for San Antonio was stagnant.

I think Boston exploited Stoudemire not knowing our offense yet because he was just jacking wild shots when the defense clamped down. Vaughn likewise is worthless in those situations as he takes too long to get the team into its play.

Parker (and Barry some, too, I think) would have done a lot for the Spurs on the offensive end of the court.

But they can call it an upset if they want. It's a compliment to the Spurs actually.

spursfan09
02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Tony drives to the lane with ease and is able to dish passes out BECAUSE of Tim Duncan's presence.

I apologize on behalf of Spur fans for thinking Parker actually had some value to the Spurs. Obviously we are dillusional. I guess when I saw him holding up the MVP Finals trophy it was just a hallucination.

Seriously though I think all non Spur fans just have so much hate and jealousy that they are willing to say whatever to make themselves feel better. Most people are smart of enough to know that the Spurs will turn it on playoff time, and Tony Parker will be back by then, so that means Spurs have just as much chance as anybody in the NBA to win a championship. Oh and don't be upset because Spurs have a big 3 that every team would kill to have.

Rummpd
02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
21 more FTS by one team and they played harder - bad refs + more hustle a close loss no big deal. BSPN

JamStone
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't see the reason for all the fuss and arguments. It was an upset. Sure the Spurs didn't have Tony and Barry and they were the road team. And yes Tony Parker is absolutely essential to the success of the Spurs. But, the Celtics were without their starting front court. KG might not be the go-to guy in the clutch or the #1 guy on offense, but he's the difference on that team. He's the true reason for their success this season. The Spurs should have over powered them down low. And, for all the Spurs fans who questioned the Celtics as legit for much of the season, especially without KG and Perkins, heck yeah they should have beaten Boston. Is it a mind-blowing, season-changing, meteoric upset? Of course not. But, it was an upset. Boston shouldn't be able to hang with a Parker-less Spurs without KG and Perkins. They just shouldn't.

JamStone
02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Lets get a couple of things straight here. The Spurs are built on the big 3..not big 2, and definitely not on Tim alone. They can beat some teams when one of them is out. Example when Tim was injured and Manu and Parker beat Mavs and Utah. But what some other teams don't realize is how pathetic our bench and back ups are compared to other teams. Manu was injured his back is Barry, Ime. Parker injured back up is Vaughn and Damon (and Damon has only played 3 games) Tim was injured (Oberto and Elson)

I think that's part of the point by those questioning the Spurs. The supporting cast isn't helping the stars and that should be a major concern for the Spurs the rest of the way.

O-Factor
02-11-2008, 02:59 PM

People would be wrong to undermine the value of Tony Parker. A guard who many analysts conceed is a top 5 PG in the league. Of course these same analysts don't even bring up the fact that he was missing from yesterdays game. Just that the Celts were without Garnett.

I will agree, it was an upset however.

SpurOutofTownFan
02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't see the reason for all the fuss and arguments. It was an upset. Sure the Spurs didn't have Tony and Barry and they were the road team. And yes Tony Parker is absolutely essential to the success of the Spurs. But, the Celtics were without their starting front court. KG might not be the go-to guy in the clutch or the #1 guy on offense, but he's the difference on that team. He's the true reason for their success this season. The Spurs should have over powered them down low. And, for all the Spurs fans who questioned the Celtics as legit for much of the season, especially without KG and Perkins, heck yeah they should have beaten Boston. Is it a mind-blowing, season-changing, meteoric upset? Of course not. But, it was an upset. Boston shouldn't be able to hang with a Parker-less Spurs without KG and Perkins. They just shouldn't.

I would think it was an upset if most of the spurs fans agree they thought the spurs would win the game before it was played. I honestly thought the spurs would lose the game, this particular game. So I don't see this as an upset as I wasn't expecting them to win at all. Had they played a little better in the last month or so, maybe I iwould have changed my mind coming this game.

On another note, I doubt big bady, house, posey and the other folks would play as aggresively as they dd last night in San Antonio. I actually, honestly think they would shit on their pants.

Supergirl
02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I was really annoyed by the broadcasters out here - in the piece I heard about the game, they didn't even MENTION that TP was out. They talked about what an "amazing" job Davis did on TD, and what an great win it was for the C's, even though they were without KG.

Yeah, Kendrick Perkins was out too. But the Spurs are also playing without Barry. I think the loss is pretty meaningless, in the big picture, except it adds the the Celtics' swagger a little to say they've now beat the Spurs twice in a row, first in Boston since TD joined the league. But it doesn't mean much in terms of the playoffs, should these two teams meet in the Finals, which I think is a very real possiblity.

Pistons < Spurs
02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
People would be wrong to undermine the value of Tony Parker. A guard who many analysts conceed is a top 5 PG in the league. Of course these same analysts don't even bring up the fact that he was missing from yesterdays game. Just that the Celts were without Garnett.

I will agree, it was an upset however.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not degrading Parker or his role on the Spurs team in any way. 3 or 4 years ago, you would have read about me posting all sorts of complaints on his game, but he's proven to everyone what he can do.

And I know the 'media' are swept up with their newest darling in the Celtics. And it's typical of them to just focus on Garnett or Big Baby, and not talk about Parker let alone Barry being gone.

But to me Duncan will always be the main cog of the big 3. Always. That isn't taking away from Parker.

And likewise KG is the main component of their trio.

DazedAndConfused
02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Considering the Celtics nearly lost to the T-Wolves the game before this one I'd say it was most definitely an upset. A gigantic one, no. But this was certainly a game they shouldn't have lost.

When the other team is fielding a front line of Big Baby Davis, Leon Powe, and Scalabrine there is no excuse to not take advantage of that. You have Duncan, arguably the best post player in the game, and your coach decided to play small ball for some reason.

stretch
02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I apologize on behalf of Spur fans for thinking Parker actually had some value to the Spurs. Obviously we are dillusional. I guess when I saw him holding up the MVP Finals trophy it was just a hallucination.

Seriously though I think all non Spur fans just have so much hate and jealousy that they are willing to say whatever to make themselves feel better. Most people are smart of enough to know that the Spurs will turn it on playoff time, and Tony Parker will be back by then, so that means Spurs have just as much chance as anybody in the NBA to win a championship. Oh and don't be upset because Spurs have a big 3 that every team would kill to have.
So you mean to tell me that Parker is equal, or more important to the team than Tim Duncan?

You must be retarded.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
What was the line on the game?

lonestr
02-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Now that everyone is happy that we got our butts handed to us, we can now be left alone and considered irrelevant. We'll fly under the radar while the entire NBA world praises L.A., Boston, and Phoenix as we sneak up on these punks and watch the haters pucker their sphincters as we take seven game series.

Ghost Writer
02-11-2008, 04:38 PM
It can be argued that Parker is as vital to the Spurs success as Garnett is.

fyatuk
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Tim hasn't been opening up the middle for anyone else :p:

It's a symbiotic relationship, now. Tim causes the defenses to react slower to Tony (a huge advantage with Tony's speed), and Tony causes the defense to slack off Tim (a huge advantage).

The Spurs offense doesn't work right without both of them in there.

Also, penetration collapses defenses much better than a post man does, in general at least. If Tim's hot, that goes out the window though.

The Spurs would be better off right now if they hadn't jettisoned D-Wash since his skill set was similar to Tony's (inferior, but similar).

lebomb
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I was really annoyed by the broadcasters out here - in the piece I heard about the game, they didn't even MENTION that TP was out. They talked about what an "amazing" job Davis did on TD, and what an great win it was for the C's, even though they were without KG.

Yeah, Kendrick Perkins was out too. But the Spurs are also playing without Barry.

Thank you.......someone with some smarts. You cannot lose your leading scorer and play maker and call it an upset when you lose. That is just dumbshit talk.

:dizzy

lebomb
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Charlie Rosen.........mentioned 10 reasons why the Spurs lost.....but didnt mention ONE single time that the Spurs played without Tony Parker. He sure and the hell mentioned Garnett was out.

I sent his dumbass an email.......suggesting that he report all of the facts before he opens his PIEHOLE!!!!

JamStone
02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
It can be argued that Parker is as vital to the Spurs success as Garnett is.

I don't know if this is Spurs fan sarcasm, but in my opinion, Garnett is not vital at all to the Spurs success.

Pistons < Spurs
02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
:lmao

SouthernFried
02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Huge upset. Spurs are out man...just don't have it anymore. Boston is in...look what they did to the Spurs without KG? That's freakin' amazing stuff, and qualifies as a huge upset. Boston looks unstoppable.

I just love the regular season :)

temujin
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know if this is Spurs fan sarcasm, but in my opinion, Garnett is not vital at all to the Spurs success.

Correct.

He'll be more vital to the Pistons when they meet in the Conference Finals.
He'll have that key shot at it.
And blew it.
As he has always done for his entire career.

I'd play Davies over Garnett at the end of EVERY game.

As for Parker, he is as vital as Billups for Pistons.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
It can be looked at as an upset, by history I guess. Duncan's been 9-0 and with Duncan Manu, and shooters we still had a good chance to keep it going despite running the offense through Duncan w/o Parker.

Still, it is a little annoying because WE know that Parker and to a lesser extent Barry are important pieces.

lefty
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Actually, I'm enjoying this.

Because they'll look so stupid after we'll win thw 2008 title

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2008, 10:56 PM

Ok...that was funny. Unlike fans of other teams, Pistons fans seem to have brain cells that actually work.

davi78239
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Why the hell does anyone care anyway? It was just a regular fucking season game. Both teams were not at full force for it to be a huge deal. Jesus, they are acting like we just lost an NFL playoff game. It's a damn regular season game......fucking ESPN and their drooling over the big Market team in the east that's all of a sudden come to life. Calm down guys. If they win the championship, then they can say all the shit they want but for now......save it.

Pistons < Spurs
02-11-2008, 11:08 PM
......fucking ESPN and their drooling over the big Market team in the east that's all of a sudden come to life. Calm down guys. If they win the championship, then they can say all the shit they want but for now......save it.
You know that if the Spurs were to beat Celts in the Finals, all they'd be talking about is how the fairy tale season ended so poorly for Boston. They'd break down the Bostons 3's careers and possible future with the team. Speculation if KG will ever win a ring. And whether or not they should blow up the team, and try something different!

The Spurs winning would be a page 3 after thought!

I still get pissed when I think about the Pistons winning against the Lakers, and all the talk that very night and from there on out was the dismantling of the Lakers. :bang

Brutalis
02-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Whoever the white dude was commentating the game had it in for the Spurs. Whatever credit he gave us in anything was totally subjective and worded like it was luck.

They plugged all game long how KG is out, and nobody said a damn thing about TP. I really was shocked at how they acted like the game was a big time loss to the Spurs.