PDA

View Full Version : Jackson weighs in on O'Neal trade, Parker

LakeShow
02-11-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep11feb11,1,419957.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-02/35484705.jpg

Jackson weighs in on O'Neal trade, ParkerWally Skalij / Los Angeles Times
Jackson, right, who coached O'Neal for five seasons with the Lakers, added his thoughts to the trade viewed by many as a reaction to the Lakers' acquisition of Pau Gasol.
The Lakers coach says the shift to Phoenix could reinspire O'Neal. Jackson also talks frankly about Smush Parker's drawbacks.
By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 11, 2008

MIAMI -- The Lakers breezed through Miami over the weekend, a city serving as a constant reminder of their recent past.

Even though Shaquille O'Neal was traded last week to Phoenix, there was still enough talk about him and former Lakers starter Smush Parker to keep the Miami relevancy streak alive.

Jackson, who coached O'Neal for five seasons with the Lakers, added his thoughts to the trade viewed by many as a reaction to the Lakers' acquisition of Pau Gasol.

"I can't imagine that [O'Neal] wanted to pick up and move again," Jackson said. "I don't think that fit into his scheme of the way he wanted to live his life. But I do think it will re-energize him. I think he has got something to prove again, and I think it could be good for him."

Why did Phoenix give up four-time All-Star Shawn Marion and take a chance on a soon-to-be 36-year-old with a long list of injury problems?

"They're willing to take that risk," Jackson said. "I guess if you've been in the position they've been in the last three years and you haven't gotten to the Finals, you have to wonder about your strategy."

O'Neal has not played since Jan. 21 because of a hip injury, but Jackson expected him to be in the lineup when the Lakers and Suns meet Feb. 20 in Phoenix.

Jackson also talked openly about Parker, who flamed out in his second season with the Lakers and signed a two-year, $4.7-million contract with Miami before this season. He played only nine games before being suspended indefinitely in November after an alleged altercation with a valet-parking attendant.

"I had hopes for Smush in my exit meeting with him last year, talked to him about trying to get himself motivated in a way that might be different than what he'd done in the past," Jackson said. "I just don't know what went wrong. I haven't stayed close enough to that situation.

"But Smush can get on the backside of an issue and make it worse, unfortunately. He was the kind of kid that if he got a bad call in a game, he might let it affect him for two minutes and then get a technical two minutes later because it would kind of burn, ignite and the ember wouldn't go away."

It has been 10 days since the Gasoltrade, but reactions are still trickling in. Count San Antonio Coach Gregg Popovich among those who disapproved of it.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," he told SI.com "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

Popovich was then told that Memphis General Manager Chris Wallace had challenged NBA executives to criticize the deal publicly instead of spreading unattributed opinions comparable to what Wallace called "pillow talk."

Said Popovich: "Well, there you go. I'm on the record."

After further review, the Lakers are leaning toward keeping DJ Mbenga in case Chris Mihm isn't ready to play after the All-Star break, a team source said.

Mihm has been sidelined since Dec. 23 because of bursitis in his right heel and a sore Achilles' tendon. He has been taking part in individual workouts with team trainers, but a definite return date has not been established. The Lakers would have to sign Mbenga for the rest of the season after the expiration of his second 10-day contract, probably for the prorated amount of the league minimum of $427,163.

TONIGHT

at Charlotte, 4 PST (5:30, Ch. 9)

Site -- Bobcats Arena.

Radio -- 570, 1330.

Records -- Lakers 33-17, Bobcats 18-33.

Record vs. Bobcats (2006-07) -- 0-2.

Update -- The Bobcats are on a six-game losing streak, but they have been dangerous against the Lakers in Charlotte, beating them in triple overtime last season, 133-124, and 112-102 two seasons ago.

[email protected]

DarkReign
02-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Good on Pop for stating his opinion in no uncertain, "CIA" terms.

The Memphis/LA deal is shady beyond reproach. Beyond Reproach.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Pop wasn't crying when they got Finley for free. Or how they tanked for Duncan. A bit hypocrytical??

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I think it's a good trade for Phoenix. They needed a big body bad. IF Shaq is healthy it's a good move. Losing Marion must hurt though.

Trainwreck2100
02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Pop wasn't crying when they got Finley for free. Or how they tanked for Duncan. A bit hypocrytical??

Finley was a FA

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Finley was a FA

It was a gift. The Mavs were still paying him.

Trainwreck2100
02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

But they didn't give him to the Spurs. The Mavs cut him and the Spurs signed him from the FA market.

Soul_Patch
02-12-2008, 02:25 PM

No clue how you can claim relevancy here. No one makes a trade like the Gasol deal...never ever happened....

The Duncan thing, and the Finley thing arent even close to being comparable.

ambchang
02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
The Mavs gave a gift to their biggest instate rivals.
Do you know how Finley ended up with the Spurs? Do you mind reciting it and explain to me how it was a gift?
As for tanking, I probably said it 5 times already, but the Spurs had a 20% chance at winning the lottery that year, they had the 3rd worst record in the league, and they actually had a higher winning percentage later in the year than they did at the beginning.
Please people, do your research.

remingtonbo2001
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
No clue how you can claim relevancy here. No one makes a trade like the Gasol deal...never ever happened....

The Duncan thing, and the Finley thing arent even close to being comparable.

Leave to it a Lakerfan to find similarities.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Pop wasn't actually crying about the Lakers deal either. He said he thought the deal was ridiculous from the Grizzlies' standpoint and then offered a joking suggestion that the league create a trade committee. Somehow, Pop's typical sarcasm was omitted from the reports about his statement. If you've paid any attention to Pop's career, you would immediately know that he couldn't have been serious about that suggestion.

Of course, the national media hasn't bothered to consider the source.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Are you guys all drunk on Pop's Kool-Aid?? :drunk :drunk

Finley signed with you guys for pennies because the Mavs were still paying his mortgage. It's a fucking gift. You guys benefited from it; accept it, be happy with it.

The Spurs made no intention of bringing Robinson back at all that year. Everybody in the world knew what was going on. They tanked the year because the consensus #1 for 2/3 years running was finally coming out. Again you guys benefited from it big time. Be happy it worked.

These are all less than scrupalous ways for the "great" spurs franchise to operate, so to hear Pop and spurs fans crying about it is more than fucking comical. The Lakers gave up 4 first rounders (M. Gasol is first round talent/compare him to Splitter) for Gasol and a shit load of cap relief. While it was a great trade for the Lakeshow, please don't act like the Grizzlies didn't get anything in return. Nobody else was willing to pay that (see Chicago) and Mitch scared the Grizz into thinking that Kwame's expiring was gonna go to the Bulls for Wallace.

So if you wanna cry and curse about it, send 'em towards the Buss family and Mitch's genius. They played the ultimate hand of poker and left the rest of the League with egg on their face. :clap :clap

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Pop wasn't actually crying about the Lakers deal either. He said he thought the deal was ridiculous from the Grizzlies' standpoint and then offered a joking suggestion that the league create a trade committee. Somehow, Pop's typical sarcasm was omitted from the reports about his statement. If you've paid any attention to Pop's career, you would immediately know that he couldn't have been serious about that suggestion.

Of course, the national media hasn't bothered to consider the source.

4 first rounders and cap relief isn't a ridiculous deal. It's actually a great way for the Grizz franchise to rebuild.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
4 first rounders and cap relief isn't a ridiculous deal. It's actually a great way for the Grizz franchise to rebuild.

That explains why only Lakers fans and apologists seem to think the deal was a fair one.

As for your nonsense about Finley, that was an entirely different situation. Finley was free to sign with whomever he wished -- it's not as if the Mavericks directed him to the Spurs. Finley was a free agent when released by Dallas -- the bit about the Mavericks paying his salary made no difference in terms of where he might sign his next contract. It would be asinine to argue that making a player a free agent is in any way collusive or untoward and it would be equally ridiculous to argue that a team signing a free agent is somehow unfairly benefitting from the fact that the guy was a free agent.

LakeShow
02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Pop may have said it facetiously but by no means did anyone take it as a joke. The Grizzles owner didn't take it that way, cuban didn't take it that way and it's a lot of people who didn't take it as a joke. Pop needs to stfu, this doesn't even concern him!

Everybody talks about the deal but the owner said that he wanted to trim salaries. Stack up on draft picks and rid themselves of salaries. NO ONE But the LAKERS stepped up and agreed to do so! Talk is he wants to sell and is trying to keep salaries low so it would look appealing to buyers. The Grizz received a 1st round draft pick and promising player in Critt. They will also be in the lottery next season. (btw, didn't SA do the same thing with Michael Thompson with the lakers during mid season that propelled the Lakers to the title and Larry Bird stating, "Thank the Spurs for helping the lakers win a title" LOL yeah he did, i read it on another thread) Their salary next year is at 44 million, and they'll get rid of a lot more. I don't think anyone is foolish enough to think they'll keep Kwame. It was all about the money! The Owner said all of the other teams were trying to give him contracts and he didn't want that! He heard the Lakers were going to make another move and called and accepted their offer. I don't see how hard that is to understand. The Grizz saved $15 million and 10 million on contracts next season with that trade. They could buy another superstar if they so choose next season to replace Gasol. It was pretty obvious, Gasol as the main man was not going to get it done. Makes sense to me! Don't hate on the lakers, hate on your own team for not stepping up. Dr. Buss stepped up! He paid dearly!

SenorSpur
02-12-2008, 08:03 PM

Finley signed with you guys for pennies because the Mavs were still paying his mortgage. It's a fucking gift. You guys benefited from it; accept it, be happy with it.

The so-called, Allan Houston rule was a one-time, league sponsored exemption for teams that needed to dump a player's salary to avoid luxury tax penalties. The Spurs did benefit only because Finley chose us over 3-4 other teams. The point is HE was a free-agent and HE only chose his destination.

Therefore, you can't compare the Finley situation to this trade. They're apples and oranges.

For the record, I didn't agree with Pop's statements either. They're honest, but it's not his call to make.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
That explains why only Lakers fans and apologists seem to think the deal was a fair one.

It's what the Hornets did, it's what Portland did, it's what Toronto did, it's what Indiana should have done. This trade can't be assesed in the short term. No matter how you slice it, it's 4 first rounders and cap relief. If even 2 of those players pan out it's not a bad trade at all. Only reason you guy are crying is because he wasn't traded to the spurs or to the East.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
As for your nonsense about Finley, that was an entirely different situation. Finley was free to sign with whomever he wished -- it's not as if the Mavericks directed him to the Spurs. Finley was a free agent when released by Dallas -- the bit about the Mavericks paying his salary made no difference in terms of where he might sign his next contract. It would be asinine to argue that making a player a free agent is in any way collusive or untoward and it would be equally ridiculous to argue that a team signing a free agent is somehow unfairly benefitting from the fact that the guy was a free agent.

So now it's collusion. Put that up there with the frozen envelope theory.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
The so-called, Allan Houston rule was a one-time, league sponsored exemption for teams that needed to dump a player's salary to avoid luxury tax penalties. The Spurs did benefit only because Finley chose us over 3-4 other teams. The point is HE was a free-agent and HE only chose his destination.

Therefore, you can't compare the Finley situation to this trade. They're apples and oranges.

For the record, I didn't agree with Pop's statements either. They're honest, but it's not his call to make.

I know all about the one-time salary dump. Lakers used it on Brian Grant. The fact is the Spurs got an All-Star for pennies because of it. Spurs benefited from the situation, just as the Lakers did by the Grizz situation. Difference is the Lakers had to give up 4 first rounders + cap relief, while the Spurs didn't have to give up anything.

It's not as different as you guys think.

MajicMan
02-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Here's what Charles Barkley has to say about the Pau Gasol trade..Great interview Charles' thoughts on collusion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv24frDECA4)

picnroll
02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
4 first rounders and cap relief isn't a ridiculous deal.
Don't forget the suitcase full of unmarked bills.

MajicMan
02-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Don't forget the suitcase full of unmarked bills.
At least the suitcase wasn't filled with lotto balls.

picnroll
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Here's what Charles Barkley has to say about the Pau Gasol trade..Great interview Charles' thoughts on collusion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv24frDECA4) Charles was upset that Herrera was guarding him. I guess he figured Charles Smith, the other PF the Spurs had, would have made it more competitive.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Here's what Charles Barkley has to say about the Pau Gasol trade..Great interview Charles' thoughts on collusion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv24frDECA4)

:clap :clap Barkley tells it like it is. Although karma was much nicer to the Spurst then it was to him. That's what he gets for being a diehard Laker hater. God don't like Laker haters.

TheNextGen
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
the trade happen...it was legit. get over it.

SenorSpur
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
:clap :clap Barkley tells it like it is. Although karma was much nicer to the Spurst then it was to him. That's what he gets for being a diehard Laker hater. God don't like Laker haters.

Charles needs to get his facts straight. The NBA didn't change the draft process because of the Spurs. The NBA changed from the traditional NBA draft to the current NBA Draft Lottery process in 1985. This change was spurred on after the Houston Rockets tanked games in 1983 to obtain the No. 1 pick and the rights to select Ralph Sampson, and then again in 1984 to obtain the No.1 pick and rights to draft Hakeem Olajuwon. So it was the Rockets, not the Spurs, who were responsible for this change.

Anyway, it was just sheer luck that the Spurs won the draft lottery in both 1987 and 1997. In 1997, Boston had a greater chance to win the lottery because they had the worst record in the league.

As funny and honest as Charles is, he often talks "out of his ass" sometimes. This was simply another one of those times.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Charles needs to get his facts straight. The NBA didn't change the draft process because of the Spurs. The NBA changed from the traditional NBA draft to the current NBA Draft Lottery process in 1985. This change was spurred on after the Houston Rockets tanked games in 1983 to obtain the No. 1 pick and the rights to select Ralph Sampson, and then again in 1984 to obtain the No.1 pick and rights to draft Hakeem Olajuwon. So it was the Rockets, not the Spurs, who were responsible for this change.

Anyway, it was just sheer luck that the Spurs won the draft lottery in both 1987 and 1997. In 1997, Boston had a greater chance to win the lottery because they had the worst record in the league.

As funny and honest as Charles is, he often talks "out of his ass" sometimes. This was simply another one of those times.

They tanked for Duncan. But yes I agree Charles very often does talk "out of his ass". Most Laker haters do.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
So now it's collusion. Put that up there with the frozen envelope theory.

Do you even bother to read posts, or do you just pick out some key word and figure that was what the post was about?

I said it's asinine to call the Finley situation collusive. And I haven't called the Gasol trade collusive. I'm not sure what you're suggesting I've said is collusive, since I haven't called anything that.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2008, 10:49 PM

If I remember correctly, the weighted lottery came about after the Magic managed to win the right to draft Shaq and then, after barely missing the playoffs, ended up with the #1 pick again in 1993.

There's a lot of facts that get omitted from the "Spurs tanked in 1996-97" nonsense, but they aren't really worth rehashing here as they won't change any minds.

Lakafan23
02-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, I love the conspicracy theory. It's pretty amusing and childish. You spurs fans are just pissed because your team is going to rot away while LA wins the championship.

ambchang
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Please, stop embarrassing yourself. The Mavs let Finley go because he was on the downside of his career and they were paying him a huge max level salary. He was averaging 15 ppg with the Mavs and turned into a spot up shooting, making $14M a year. The league decided to give all the teams a one-time amnesty (known as the Allan Houston clause, which ironically, didn't see him getting bought out) allows every team to choose one player to be released from their team without having to pay the luxury tax. The player would still be paid his salary, but will not be allowed to play for the team that released him for the remainder of his contract. It was purely a financial decision.
Finley had a choice of signing with any team, with the Heat offering him more $, and the Suns rumoured to be his favourite destination due to his previous ties with the team, but he decided to sign with the Spurs because he felt the Spurs had the best chance to win a championship.

The Spurs made no intention of bringing Robinson back at all that year. Everybody in the world knew what was going on. They tanked the year because the consensus #1 for 2/3 years running was finally coming out. Again you guys benefited from it big time. Be happy it worked.

So the Spurs actually had a 5-10 in March so they could get a worse chance to win the lottery? Robinson attempted to come back and then broke his foot in 6 games. You know how long a broken foot and subsequently would take a player out for? Sean Elliott required surgery to his quadricep that year and missed a lot of games. In fact the Spurs 3rd best player, Avery Johnson, came back at the end of the season from injuries to try to win games.

These are all less than scrupalous ways for the "great" spurs franchise to operate, so to hear Pop and spurs fans crying about it is more than fucking comical. The Lakers gave up 4 first rounders (M. Gasol is first round talent/compare him to Splitter) for Gasol and a shit load of cap relief. While it was a great trade for the Lakeshow, please don't act like the Grizzlies didn't get anything in return. Nobody else was willing to pay that (see Chicago) and Mitch scared the Grizz into thinking that Kwame's expiring was gonna go to the Bulls for Wallace.

So if you wanna cry and curse about it, send 'em towards the Buss family and Mitch's genius. They played the ultimate hand of poker and left the rest of the League with egg on their face. :clap :clap

LOL on your assertion that Marc Gasol is a 1st round talent when he was actually a 2nd round talent. It doesn't matter where you feel Gasol should go in the draft, he IS a 2nd round talent. And trading 4 LATE 1st rounders for an All-star level PF/center is about one of the biggest steals around.

Kudos to the Lakers in getting a steal.