PDA

View Full Version : Shaq understands his place as role player in Suns' system

crc21209
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Shaquille O'Neal went through his first practice with the Phoenix Suns and said he was winded but otherwise felt fine.

He said it's going to take some time, though, for him to learn where he fits in the Suns' system.

At this point in his career, he considers himself a role player, he said. No date has been set for his first game with Phoenix.

O'Neal was able to run the floor with the team without any signs of the hip injury that has sidelined him for several weeks. He came to the Suns last Wednesday in a blockbuster deal that sent Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to the Miami Heat.

Phoenix has two games before the All-Star break -- at Golden State on Wednesday night and at home against Dallas on Thursday.

ancestron
02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Damn...slow down!!
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/rumpleqt/shaq.jpg

Kriz-Maxima
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Saying he understand its easy, especially right now.

boutons_
02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
"No date has been set for his first game with Phoenix."

is he hurt and/or out of shape?

Or maybe Suns think they are showing mercy towards the rest of NBA before Sheriff Shaq starts knocking heads around.

They're paying him $245K per game sat out.

m33p0
02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080209-10

Marc Stein had this to say....

• Suns fans are still so stunned by the prospect of O'Neal in purple and orange that they probably haven't even realized yet that the biggest winner tied to the trade so far is the guy loathed in Phoenix more than anyone not named Robert Horry.

Seriously. Who could be happier about what's happened in the last week than David Stern?

In a span of just over six months, Boston and the Los Angeles Lakers have been resurrected. O'Neal's move to the desert, meanwhile, means three of the game's all-time icons -- Shaq, KG and Allen Iverson -- have all been traded in a span of 14 months, all in an era when big transactions and all the accompanying speculation and analysis tend to get folks more revved up than the games do.

In other words … does anyone ever remember Tim Donaghy?

Jeremy
02-11-2008, 10:07 PM
"No date has been set for his first game with Phoenix."

is he hurt and/or out of shape?

They are trying to get him completely healed from his hip injury, get him accustomed to/integrated into their system/team, and get his conditioning back. They don't want to rush things. He's in good shape, but doesn't have his wind back yet, since he hasn't been playing for awhile.

He should be playing at least by Feb. 20 against the Lakers (the first game after the All-Star break).

Personally, I wouldn't mind letting him rest until March. The Playoffs is when we need him healthy and rested up.

lefty
02-12-2008, 12:23 AM
No pro athlete should be out of shape.

There's always a way to work around such an injury.

Lazy fat unprofessional Shaq, as always

SirChaz
02-12-2008, 01:59 AM
"Lazy" Shaq bruised his hip diving for a loose ball from what I heard. He has had time to let it heal and has started new treatments with the Suns that reportedly have improved it's condition.

Most players in the league would need time to catch their wind enough to play at a high level with the Suns. Never mind one that hasn't played in almost a month.

Grant Hill was here since before training camp and had a hard time after two weeks off for his appendectomy.

Shaq just can't win in some people's eyes. If he does well in Phoenix he was dogging it in Miami. If he struggles to adapt he is broken down and can't play anymore.

Some people are going to bust on Shaq no matter what.

Jeremy
02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
"O'Neal said he has done no cardio work for the past month and a half because Miami's staff told him not to do any while he recovered from the hip injury. We have to keep pointing out that he has a hip injury because nobody that has seen him work out can tell he is hurt, just as everyone said in hushed tones during the trade."

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/16969

Rummpd
02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Love it that Walton is ripping Shaq! Listen to ESPN and they are on this one!!!!!!

Purple & Gold
02-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Shaq will do well in Phoenix. A good direction for the suns to take. It's still not enough to beat the Lakeshow though.

:toast

Next Superstar
02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Man with no marion now nash is in real trouble tomorrow. Hes gonna have to either guard baron or monta aka "Mississippi Bullet." Thats going to be the biggest adjustment for the suns, marion usually guarded the other team's pgs.

lefty
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Man with no marion now nash is in real trouble tomorrow. Hes gonna have to either guard baron or monta aka "Mississippi Bullet." Thats going to be the biggest adjustment for the suns, marion usually guarded the other team's pgs.

:tu

Good observation

Shred
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Love it that Walton is ripping Shaq! Listen to ESPN and they are on this one!!!!!!

Nice. They could name the disabled list the "Bill Walton Memorial Disabled List," for all the time he spent not playing in the league. Horsefaced clown is going to criticize Shaq? Give me a break....

mavsfan1000
02-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Phoenix vs. LAL will be classic now that both Shaq and Kobe's teams are for real. I would give the edge to Phoenix though.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Damn...slow down!!
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/rumpleqt/shaq.jpg

:lol :greedy

ajh18
02-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune: "After watching a few of Shaq's thunderous dunks during a personal workout Sunday and in practice Monday, some of his new teammates have strongly requested that the team reinforce the apparatus currently supporting the two baskets at the team's practice court. Brian Skinner and Sean Marks are the players who now have the task of guarding O'Neal in practice and would be the first ones in the path of any possible falling debris. 'Basically, they've said they don't have the confidence to be under those baskets right now,' one Suns official said. 'And I can't say I blame them.' After watching one of Shaq's slams during his personal workout Sunday, guard Leandro Barbosa shook his head and said 'Man, that thing is coming down.'"

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

m33p0
02-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune: "After watching a few of Shaq's thunderous dunks during a personal workout Sunday and in practice Monday, some of his new teammates have strongly requested that the team reinforce the apparatus currently supporting the two baskets at the team's practice court. Brian Skinner and Sean Marks are the players who now have the task of guarding O'Neal in practice and would be the first ones in the path of any possible falling debris. 'Basically, they've said they don't have the confidence to be under those baskets right now,' one Suns official said. 'And I can't say I blame them.' After watching one of Shaq's slams during his personal workout Sunday, guard Leandro Barbosa shook his head and said 'Man, that thing is coming down.'"

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

spin doctors. usual phoenix gimmick. all hype, no substance.

Xylus
02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
spin doctors. usual phoenix gimmick. all hype, no substance.
I agree. Phoenix media is great at spinning the truth. Paul Coro is the only writer I really trust.